Is this layover long enough?

eleair

It might be okay. It might not be. I wouldn't book a connection like that, that's for sure. Even if you make it, your bag may not. And if you miss the flight, what are your next options?

But...what are you gonna do about it at this point since it's so close out?

MCT for US to US connections at PHX is 25 minutes, so it is a valid ticket.

Whether you can comfortably make it is another issue. I don't connect through PHX, so I can't speak from experience, but given the size of the terminal that US uses, I'd be having my track shoes on.

I forgot to mention that the change of planes is from one domestic flight to another domestic flight.

We have often changed flights in PHX. If your flight is on time that connection time is doable. But if there is any delay you'd better sprint, especially if you have to change terminals which is very common, even on same airline.

It might be okay. It might not be. I wouldn't book a connection like that, that's for sure. Even if you make it, your bag may not.

That is actually a positive thing. Going home, if the checked bag doesn't make it, the airline will deliver it to your home when it arrives. Much better than lugging it through the airport to your car, then into your house. Why not let the airline use a delivery service that brings it right to your front door? :D

Is there another US flight to your destination after the one you're booked on? If you miss your connection, US should put you on the next flight that has available seats. Of course, if the next flight is full and there are no others, you could have a problem. The cruise line booked your flight, and you paid, without knowing the times and accepting them? That's strange. Have you contacted the cruise line to see if you have options to change flights?

That is actually a positive thing. Going home, if the checked bag doesn't make it, the airline will deliver it to your home when it arrives. Much better than lugging it through the airport to your car, then into your house. Why not let the airline use a delivery service that brings it right to your front door? :D

I suppose that's true

since you are flying HOME and not to the cruise, I would be less worried. Not that it means you are more likely to make a really tight connection, but it's probably less of a disaster if you don't

What is your ultimate destination? US may have many ways to get there. Do your homework. Know all possible routings. In case you misconnect, you are armed with information. The airline personnel may not be so willing to go the extra mile if things get more complicated.

Why not let the airline use a delivery service that brings it right to your front door? :D

Because there have been times when it has been almost 24 hours before the bag comes in the door. And if there is "stuff" inside that I planned on having that next day.....

And, if for some reason the airline manages to misplace the bag before it gets sent to your house, even more delay.

Depends on how far you live from the airport. We live 88 miles from nearest airport. They don't deliver that far. We thought they'd at least have UPS deliver our missing bag to our door. Nope, they put it on Greyhound bus. We live 25 miles from nearest town and had to drive there to pick up our suitcase at bus station.

I have connected through PHX a number of times. In my opinion, that is a very tight connection. If you are lucky you'll only have to go a couple of gates and your flight will be in time. If you are unlucky you'll have to sprint to a different terminal and pray your connection is delayed.

What is your final destination? How many flights are there to your final destination from PHX ?

The final destination is FAT and I do not believe there are any other flights out after the one we are scheduled for at around 8:45pm.

Is there another US flight to your destination after the one you're booked on? If you miss your connection, US should put you on the next flight that has available seats. Of course, if the next flight is full and there are no others, you could have a problem. The cruise line booked your flight, and you paid, without knowing the times and accepting them? That's strange. Have you contacted the cruise line to see if you have options to change flights?

When the cruise line booked the flights there was plenty of time. After that US airlines changed their schedule and made the tight connection.

NMlady,

I mean no disrepect but I was LOL when I read your post.

the downside of living in the desert...:)

There are lots of downsides to living in the desert so far from anything. One of the biggest is that no matter what port we are cruising from it always requires a connecting flight to get there. My husband walks very slowly with a cane and even though when we make the air reservations we always request wheelchair assistance to help make connections, the wheelchair isn't always there.

When the cruise line booked the flights there was plenty of time. After that US airlines changed their schedule and made the tight connection.

That happens. I'm pretty control freak-y about connection times (I prefer them longer) and last time an airline changed its schedule around and shortened our layover to an uncomfortable interval, I called and got it changed with no fee even though I requested a routing home from Paris through DFW instead of ORD as originally scheduled. I hadn't booked through a cruise line, though. Check with the cruise line and with the airline itself.

Can you book a hotel room in PHX for the night as "insurance" and cancel it if you don't need it?

Originally Posted by frugaltravel

Why not let the airline use a delivery service that brings it right to your front door?

"Because there have been times when it has been almost 24 hours before the bag comes in the door. And if there is "stuff" inside that I planned on having that next day.

And, if for some reason the airline manages to misplace the bag before it gets sent to your house, even more delay."

FlyerTalk is Correct.

I flew home at the end of June from Barcelona with a connection in Amsterdam (Cruise Air). I thought that 2 hours was close and, although I made the long way to the next terminal (via their Golf Cart), my Luggage did not make it.

I arrived home on a Friday and had to wait until Sunday for my luggage to be delivered. I live in the San Fernando Valley - 45 miles from LAX. Well, the poor little guy had a very small, old car but I expected a large truck or at least a van. He said that he can fit 15 pieces of luggage in his car. Yeah, right. :eek:

After he had put my luggage onto my porch and I took it into the bedroom, I discovered that one of my straps was missing. Then I had to unpack both pieces to see if anything else was missing.

I did have a "Control Number" that I got at the airport and tried to file a claim on line. Kept calling. Finally, I had to send a Fax and, just yesterday, I finally received my $26 check from Delta (code share with KLM Royal Dutch Airways). The check had the Delta name & logo on it. > Two months later. :eek:

I had thought about filing a claim with Berkeley Care since I always buy the cruise travel insurance and that covers you from the time you walk out your door until you get back to your home.

This was very time-consuming and frustrating, :eek: although now I can buy a new locking strap.

The cruise line has booked our air and on the way home we only have 33 minutes in PHX to change planes. We are flying on a Friday evening.

I would pick a seat on your first flight as close to the exit door as possible. If you are in the back of plane, you could be adding 10 more minutes just to get off the plane

I have had this happen and rather enjoyed the service also.... its no different from the bag sitting home for a week before I have a chance to unpack it :o

Looks like you are I are the only ones who appreciate this! :)

Over the years I have managed to accumulate separate vacation wear and duplicates of other items that allow me to pack early before a vacation or unpack late after one if my schedule requires it.

Archived