Spend $650 pp to upgrade from X to GS?

Toddcan

Just got notifcation that a GS price dropped from $1,654 to $1,269pp on our 5 day Liberty Cruise.

Just from the title alone, I would think most people would say NO! No way is it worth upgrading from a Balcony Guarantee (X) to a Grand Suite at a cost of $650pp ($1300 total). We have our cabin assignment - a nice D2 forward.

A lot of people would argue that $650pp is enough for another cruise!

But, hang on...

We live in Canada. We need to either drive, or fly to our ports. This is an extra cost for gas, hotels, flights, etc etc. We paid $579 for our X.. great price. But, I'm spending $1,400 in gas, meals, hotels to drive to our port and back home.

Also, Tips, onboard spending, excursion spending are all the same, regardless of my cabin choice (ok, yes, Tips are a little higher in a suite). So, overall, my total vacation is going to be around $4k with the X.

Switch to a GS, and the cost goes up to just over $5k - which is actually a ~30% increase in the cost of the total vacation.

Yes, we can afford it - but it's still $1300 extra

Practical me says no way.

Splurge me says - maybe.

I get it- only I can make this choice. But, I'm looking for opinions. Will a GS blow us away? or , is the real luxury only with the OS or higher?

Little nervous that all the GS are on deck 10 - right below the pool deck, right? I've heard stories of deck chairs dragged all over the place in the middle of the night...

Opinions?

It would not be worth it to us, but bear in mind that we already get some perks of the GS already by being D+. However, I follow your logic that when you look at the total amount you are spending, then the increase to get the GS is not as much as it sounds. I'd be tempted to give it a shot.

The money part - I need to justify :)

But, what about the differences between a D2 and a GS?

I am only Gold, so my perks are limited.

GS comes with:

Priority checkin

Double cruise points

Bathtub

Double sink?? (or is that only with OS?)

Tons more room in cabin

Loungers on the balcony (this is huge for me!)

Double sliding doors to balcony? (Or is that only OS?)

Anything else I'm missing?

GS comes with:

Priority checkin

Double cruise points

Bathtub

Tons more room in cabin

I believe there is a double sink in the GS. The GS also has the ability to order off the full MDR menu for room service. There's also access to the CL, with the nightly cocktail hour from 5pm to 8:30pm. I would also expect Liberty to give gold card holders access to Portofino or Chops for Windjammer seating, so no searching for seats in Windjammer. Reserved pool and theater seats, though these might not be the most desired locations.

Edited by clarea

GS comes with:

Priority checkin

Double cruise points

Bathtub

Tons more room in cabin

Free drinks!!!!:eek::p I guess it also depends on your bar bill costs

If it were me -- given that it is financially "doable" -- I would go for it. You only live once and vacations are for splurging.

When we have gotten a GS, it was less about the room itself (well, the bathroom and storage ARE quite helpful), and more about the amenities that come with it.

So, I say --- GO FOR IT.

Mike

You will love the GS ! Once you get one, you will never go back to anything less. Book it and enjoy !

I am not so sure about that prediction. While that may have happened to you, others have different experiences. I have sailed in GS's a couple times. I have sailed in a crown loft. I loved them. Still, I am easily able to be happy in a regular stateroom if it suits the itinerary and the budget.

The fact that you're asking if it's worth it means you are leaning towards doing it.

If you can afford the extra cost and you're just thinking is it worth it, I'd do it. If you really can't afford it and are trying to talk yourself into spending the money, then I wouldn't do it.

But if you do it, come back and tell us how it was!

Just got notifcation that a GS price dropped from $1,654 to $1,269pp on our 5 day Liberty Cruise.

Just from the title alone, I would think most people would say NO! No way is it worth upgrading from a Balcony Guarantee (X) to a Grand Suite at a cost of $650pp ($1300 total). We have our cabin assignment - a nice D2 forward.

A lot of people would argue that $650pp is enough for another cruise!

But, hang on...

We live in Canada. We need to either drive, or fly to our ports. This is an extra cost for gas, hotels, flights, etc etc. We paid $579 for our X.. great price. But, I'm spending $1,400 in gas, meals, hotels to drive to our port and back home.

Also, Tips, onboard spending, excursion spending are all the same, regardless of my cabin choice (ok, yes, Tips are a little higher in a suite). So, overall, my total vacation is going to be around $4k with the X.

Switch to a GS, and the cost goes up to just over $5k - which is actually a ~30% increase in the cost of the total vacation.

Yes, we can afford it - but it's still $1300 extra

Practical me says no way.

Splurge me says - maybe.

I get it- only I can make this choice. But, I'm looking for opinions. Will a GS blow us away? or , is the real luxury only with the OS or higher?

Little nervous that all the GS are on deck 10 - right below the pool deck, right? I've heard stories of deck chairs dragged all over the place in the middle of the night...

Opinions?

Try it once! Then you won't need opinions of others like us. You will know first hand!

Have a great cruise/time!!! :)

GS are great! We do spend time in the cabin and it makes it so much more comfortable. We enjoy the better room service menu options or having breakfast in Chops. Yes, there are several benefits. However, if you view the cabin as a place to sleep and shower, I don't know if it would be worth it for you. Enjoy whatever you decide.

The first thing that jumped out to me when you started pointing out all the costs that don't change related to getting to port is that you are only doing a five day trip. Now obviously, I don't know if you are doing something else to extend your time in port, like a land based trip prior to boarding Liberty - but if not, I think I'd take that $1300 you are willing to spend and turn the cruise into a 7 day and/or extend the vacay on land.

We are in the same boat with transportation costs, and so we never go to FL for less than 10 days, in order to get the most bang for our buck.

If you can't do that b/c of time off work, then I'd go for the grand suite, assuming you are already doing what you want for excursions and the such.

The first thing that jumped out to me when you started pointing out all the costs that don't change related to getting to port is that you are only doing a five day trip. Now obviously, I don't know if you are doing something else to extend your time in port, like a land based trip prior to boarding Liberty - but if not, I think I'd take that $1300 you are willing to spend and turn the cruise into a 7 day and/or extend the vacay on land.

We are in the same boat with transportation costs, and so we never go to FL for less than 10 days, in order to get the most bang for our buck.

If you can't do that b/c of time off work, then I'd go for the grand suite, assuming you are already doing what you want for excursions and the such.

Totally agree with your approach, but this is spring break, and my wife works in the school system, so only gets 1 week off.