A week to drive from Sydney to Sydney.

Hi folks,

We've booked a flight arriving Sydney thurs 13th Feb 10.45am & a Princess cruise out of Sydney Friday 21st Feb. Just the two of us.

We're tolerably experienced travellers & cruisers but have never been to Aus, so we're hoping for a little help & advice.

We're planning to rent a car & see a bit of Aus., booking stop-over hotels/motels day-by-day as we've done in the USA. Is that a sensible plan?

A 24-hour stop-over in Malaysia, so we're happy to drive straight out of the airport & onto the road, but want to be back in Sydney the day before the cruise. That gives us seven days & a bit. We've also got a full day in Sydney after the cruise.

We're looking at heading south around the coast to Melbourne (about 1000k / 12 hours), then back to Sydney via perhaps the Murray River & Canberra (again, about 1000k / 12 hours) but these are really just names on a map that we recognise. Including Adelaide would be great - that would add another 1000k / 12 hours but if the drive is attractive it's not a problem to us. Unless you think otherwise.

Or mebbe we'd be better to head north.:rolleyes:

We rate a scenic drive more than a destination, & we're happy to drive long scenic hours. But we don't mind jumping onto a super-slab to eat up some miles when necessary.

Seems that there's some car rental agencies in Aus which set limited mileage & some that offer unlimited. Guess we'll be renting unlimited mileage ;)

A vague price of gas/petrol in Aus?

We'd be grateful for any suggestions - even just place-names that we can google.

Here's a very basic routing we've figured with no research, feel free to mess around with it & send it back to us.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Sydney+Airport,+New+South+Wales,+Australia&daddr=-36.5108774,150.0416632+to:Melbourne,+Victoria,+Australia+to:-35.4584988,138.7385251+to:Adelaide,+South+Australia,+Australia+to:-34.2764505,142.2685108+to:-35.3942916,144.7803502+to:-35.9940556,145.7959083+to:-35.7487501,147.2985666+to:Sydney,+New+South+Wales,+Australia&hl=en&ll=-35.559043,145.766602&spn=6.361942,12.381592&sll=-36.447799,143.481445&sspn=6.290779,12.381592&geocode=FUoh-v0dSroCCSF3ZUtaXTXfrynbgzMb8bASazF3ZUtaXTXfrw%3BFWPj0v0dP3TxCCmtIlLqJmU-azHgIu5ytAkGEw%3BFTkAv_0dn_ajCCmB_REPr0LWajHg54whdVYEBQ%3BFT7y4v0dXftECClP6qta5sq2ajHRbjFJVDYDEw%3BFRMI6_0dF95CCCk_sybFxzW3ajFAxo5iVDYDBA%3BFZ779P0dXth6CCmRqfuXyBvDajGhRH10tAkGEw%3BFQ3t4_0dPiyhCCmxCnvYCt_eajGxiKVytAkGEw%3BFTnG2v0dRKuwCCn5NQJKOksnazEA8Uo4javnjA%3BFXKE3v0dBpnHCClTRi538UkiazFx5S50tAkGEw%3BFSE5-_0dTjwDCSk_dJrzOJgSazFQqDIWaH0BAw&oq=Adelaide&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=7&via=1,3,5,6,7,8&t=m&z=7

All suggestions/comments welcome.

Even if you just want to tell us that it's too ambitious & we're nuts.:D

JB :)

http://www.visitnsw.com/things-to-do/drives-and-road-trips

This is an excellent website to get you started on your planning.

A week in February, mid summer, I'd drive along the coastal route to NSW border, then inland, visiting Canberra en route back to Sydney.

At that time of year, you could book motels as you go.

I love meandering in this region - beaches, national parks, wildlife (kangaroos on the beach/in small towns, birds, sometimes whales off Eden), and the Nation's Capital, with its national art galleries, museums, Parliament, etc.

Take time to smell the roses.

BTW Canberra has the best roads!

You might like to google some favourite places in Coastal NSW, south of Sydney.

Kiama/Geringong

Huskisson/Jervis Bay

Durras

Pretty Beach (kangaroos)

Bermagui (birds)

Merimbula

Eden (whales off shore in season)

Mallacoota (just over the border in Victoria)

Berry/Kangaroo Valley

Bowral

Attempting those trips in your timings estimate is optimistic, verging on unrealistic. It may " only" be 1000k on the map but in reality it will take longer than 12 hours if you factor in meal and rest stops. I assume you will also want to stop and and take a proper look at the various places of interest you will pass through en route. Remember too that even main highways are usually no more than what you would know as a "dual carriageway" and other roads smaller still. The coastal road around the SE corner from Sydney-Melbourne certainly is. Ditto to Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide (the only way to do it). Your itinerary is a good one, especially if you enjoy driving, but you need to allow a lot more time in order to enjoy the experience. Never underestimate the size of this country.

The above posts have covered most of what I was going to say, 8 days is not a lot of time and I suggest if you really want the Great Ocean road and to get to Adelaide as well that you just do the Sydney- Melbourne- Adelaide bit one way and fly back.:D

Remember you will be driving on the left side of the road here. Our highways aren't like those in the US, a major highway here is often only a single lane in either direction with limited opportunities to overtake slower vehicles safely. Once you are in rural areas it is extremely unwise to drive outside of daylight hours, dawn and dusk driving and night driving can all be dangerous due to the possibility of livestock and wildlife crossing or lurking on the road.

I would definitely take a shorter meandering route rather than trying to get from one place to another as quickly as possible.

MM downunder's suggestion of heading south on the NSW coast then across through the snowy mountains and back to Sydney through Canberra is a fantastic one. The coastal route passes some of the best beaches you will ever see (we like to keep them quiet from international tourists!) Jervis Bay is wonderful, Hyams Beach there is incredible. The kangaroos on the beach at Pebbly Beach are fun. The Murramarang National Park and the beaches hidden there are incredible and often deserted. You will likely see kangaroos around there too. Once you go further south the beaches around Bermagui are spectacular.

Have a look at driving south from Sydney to Mittagong then taking the Kangaroo Valley route down to Nowra. Jervis Bay is just south of Nowra. Further down the highway (for highway read winding road with one lane in each direction and rare overtaking lanes.) you will come to Ulladulla and then Pebbly Beach. A bit further on is Murramurang National Park (at Durras which is my families holiday secret for the last 70 years and I really shouldnt be telling an overseas visitor about it ;) ) Definitely worth a stay although the accommodation options are limited to cabins in holiday parks on the beach (dont be scared they are very nice) the kangaroos will be out on the grass verges later in the afternoon and in the mornings, you will waken to birdsong and the colourful parrots are everywhere. Take a walk on the beach and a drive/walk through some stunning national park scenery to secluded beaches where there is every chance you will have the beach to yourself. Just gorgeous.

Head further south and the scenery just gets better and is less and less inhabited. Just be super careful driving. The roads definitely aren't American style!

Head up through the Snowy Mountains to Canberra. Don't miss the War Memorial, it has some fantastic new exhibits and the view from the balcony up there across to Parliament house is fantastic. From Canberra you can get back to Sydney pretty much on proper dual carriageway highway.

The south coast of NSW is where Sydney goes on holidays and is not well travelled by international visitors. You won't find many 5 star hotels but you will get to meet lots of real Australian characters and see some fabulous scenery!

Remember you will be driving on the left side of the road here. Our highways aren't like those in the US, a major highway here is often only a single lane in either direction with limited opportunities to overtake slower vehicles safely. Once you are in rural areas it is extremely unwise to drive outside of daylight hours, dawn and dusk driving and night driving can all be dangerous due to the possibility of livestock and wildlife crossing or lurking on the road.

I would definitely take a shorter meandering route rather than trying to get from one place to another as quickly as possible.

MM downunder's suggestion of heading south on the NSW coast then across through the snowy mountains and back to Sydney through Canberra is a fantastic one. The coastal route passes some of the best beaches you will ever see (we like to keep them quiet from international tourists!) Jervis Bay is wonderful, Hyams Beach there is incredible. The kangaroos on the beach at Pebbly Beach are fun. The Murramarang National Park and the beaches hidden there are incredible and often deserted. You will likely see kangaroos around there too. Once you go further south the beaches around Bermagui are spectacular.

Have a look at driving south from Sydney to Mittagong then taking the Kangaroo Valley route down to Nowra. Jervis Bay is just south of Nowra. Further down the highway (for highway read winding road with one lane in each direction and rare overtaking lanes.) you will come to Ulladulla and then Pebbly Beach. A bit further on is Murramurang National Park (at Durras which is my families holiday secret for the last 70 years and I really shouldnt be telling an overseas visitor about it ;) ) Definitely worth a stay although the accommodation options are limited to cabins in holiday parks on the beach (dont be scared they are very nice) the kangaroos will be out on the grass verges later in the afternoon and in the mornings, you will waken to birdsong and the colourful parrots are everywhere. Take a walk on the beach and a drive/walk through some stunning national park scenery to secluded beaches where there is every chance you will have the beach to yourself. Just gorgeous.

Head further south and the scenery just gets better and is less and less inhabited. Just be super careful driving. The roads definitely aren't American style!

Head up through the Snowy Mountains to Canberra. Don't miss the War Memorial, it has some fantastic new exhibits and the view from the balcony up there across to Parliament house is fantastic. From Canberra you can get back to Sydney pretty much on proper dual carriageway highway.

The south coast of NSW is where Sydney goes on holidays and is not well travelled by international visitors. You won't find many 5 star hotels but you will get to meet lots of real Australian characters and see some fabulous scenery!

Yes, agree totally, and Canberra has lots of national buildings (war memorial, museum, art gallery, library, portrait gallery, parliament house, etc) all with free entry. Kangaroos and other animals are also protected (cannot be shot) in the ACT / Canberra, so the wildlife is quite prolific , it really is one place where roos can be in your front yard or hopping down the street.:D

MMDown Under has really covered it well. A few extra places that might suit you to google are .....Tilba Tilba, Batemans Bay, Kangaroo Valley and Robertson.

How could I have forgotten delightful Tilba Tilba?

Robertson I was surprised I hadn't heard of, so I googled it, and it sounds lovely.

http://www.robertson.nsw.au/

However, I have enjoyed the Scottish Festival at Bundanoon nearby.

3littlepigs -

A bit further on is Murramurang National Park (at Durras which is my families holiday secret for the last 70 years and I really shouldnt be telling an overseas visitor about it ) Definitely worth a stay although the accommodation options are limited to cabins in holiday parks on the beach (dont be scared they are very nice) the kangaroos will be out on the grass verges later in the afternoon and in the mornings, you will waken to birdsong and the colourful parrots are everywhere. Take a walk on the beach and a drive/walk through some stunning national park scenery to secluded beaches where there is every chance you will have the beach to yourself. Just gorgeous.

Sorry, I already let the cat out of the bag with regard to Dundas, 3littlepigs. It is worth staying in the front row cabins, for the view, the kangaroos at your door and beautiful birds, mentioned by 3littlepigs.

Once you discover these places, John, you will wish you could stay longer than a week in the region.

(BTW John regularly shares his wealth of travel knowledge on Britain and elsewhere with members of CC, me included, so it is nice to be able to share some of our secret magical places.)

A comment from the perspective of another overseas visitor to Australia might be useful. We have been there many times and have driven around much of the country.

I concur with earlier comments that the trip south from Sydney along the coast, perhaps as far as Eden, and then inland to the Snowy Mtns and Canberra, before returning to Sydney, is an excellent suggestion commensurate with the relatively short time (7 days) available. Lots of scenery, plus excellent museums and other attractions in Canberra -- a city which is often undervalued as a tourist destination. In the unlikely event that you actually cover all the above in less than a week, you could on the last day or two detour from Canberra through the Blue Mountains en route back to Sydney (which we have done). Melbourne, the Great Ocean Rd, Adelaide, and countless other destinations in Vic & S.A. are all great to see, but I would not recommend trying to get to them (and back to Sydney) by road within a week.

John

I lived most of my life in the Northern Suburbs of Wollongong and have travelled the South Coast of NSW many times. I would highly recommend a visit. Drive South from Sydney through the Royal National Park . Stop at Bald Hill and then drive through to Wollongong via the Sea Cliff Bridge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Cliff_Bridge You will follow the coast towards Wollongong and can also stop at any of the beautiful beaches (Coledale, Austinmer etc) as you drive past. Bypass the City of Wollongong (the road misses it anyway if you stick to the highway and then call in at Kiama. If the swell is big the blowhole will be working but it is a nice village anyway. Head south from there but travel via Gerringong and Seven Mile Beach to Nowra. Once you pass Nowra turn of to Jervis Bay. Visit Huskisson and don't miss Hyams Beach. It is stunning, unpoilt and has the whitest sand. From there I would head to Ulladulla and stay the night in the area. Follow the coast and stop anywhere. Batemans Bay, Moruya, Narooma, Merimbula are all worth a visit. Then on to Melbourne. Drive the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne and/or visit Phillip Island. On the way back make the quick trip up the Hume and stop off at Canberra. I would avoid places like Robertson, the Southern Highlands (Bowral, Moss Vale etc) as the coastal places are far nicer IMO.

That would be pushed but doable in 7 days. 2-3 days to Melbourne, 2 days in Melbourne Ocean Rd etc and 2 days return with stop overnight in Canberra.

Thanks, everyone. Google will be working overtime.:)

And thanks for the brutal honesty. Adelaide will have to wait for another time - flights are expensive and the overhead lockers are too small to fit a rented car :D.

Just to clarify. The driving times that I mentioned are google's basic driving times, they're easier to plan than mileages. So 28 hours over 7 days averages 4 hours per day. Or if we spend a day in Melbourne it averages 4hrs 20 mins. In a 9am to 5pm day that gives us around four hours for sightseeing stops, coffee stops, photo-stops, and taking it slow here & there.

Excluding problems & commuter routes, google's estimated driving times in the UK are generally pretty comfortable. Are they as accurate in Aus?

Point taken about driving in the dark, I live near the New Forest - not too many kangaroos, but plenty of wild ponies & deer & free-roaming cattle.

According to the web, daylight in Feb is from daft o'clock in the morning til gone 8pm so that shouldn't be a problem.

Haven't yet investigated the places you've all mentioned, but I've built them into a vague route of 2400k / 29 hours.

If I've grossly under-estimated the time - or if we choose to tarry longer down the coast, which looks increasingly likely - we can skip Melbourne & cut across from around Eden direct to the Snowy Mountains & slice a big 800k / 8hrs off that provisional route, much as J-D suggests. If we did that, would we be missing much scenery or places of interest other than Melbourne itself?

Also included in that route / timing is a tail-end detour to the Blue Mountains suggested by J-D if we get back with time in hand.

We'll not see Sydney when we arrive. We aim to get back to Sydney the evening before our sailing day, and we fly out mid-afternoon the day after we dis-embark.

So if we have that time in hand, would we be best to head for the Blue Mountains? Or add in to our time in Sydney?

Here's that vague route. How does it look?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Sydney,+New+South+Wales,+Australia&daddr=Sea+Cliff+Bridge,+Coalcliff,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:-34.7382161,150.538614+to:-35.0250002,150.6611012+to:-35.0366029,150.668759+to:Hyams+Beach,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:Ulladulla,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:-35.6597213,150.2958471+to:-35.7243374,150.1727221+to:-36.3134682,150.0754104+to:-36.8876789,149.8969877+to:Eden,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:-37.5553011,149.7441614+to:-37.5569294,149.7472895+to:-37.8164591,144.9725775+to:Alpine+Way+to:-36.4548993,148.4870141+to:-36.0668739,149.1581886+to:-35.5735997,149.1343157+to:-35.283192,149.1073957+to:-34.6012263,150.2351312+to:-34.4828408,150.4128351+to:-33.6152942,150.2722047+to:Berambing,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:Sydney,+New+South+Wales,+Australia&hl=en&sll=-36.659606,149.952393&sspn=6.273595,12.370605&geocode=FSE5-_0dTjwDCSk_dJrzOJgSazFQqDIWaH0BAw%3BFd9g9f0dRLP_CCmf_BdHFN4SazEHwBgYZqhDgw%3BFdjv7f0ddgn5CCm73ObAU4ITazFgmQFztAkGEw%3BFZiP6f0d7ef6CCnd8zYbbYYUazHgjKB0tAkGEw%3BFUZi6f0d1wX7CCnNFSM9D4YUazFQUaNytAkGEw%3BFfFj6P0deWH7CCnNNCPptY4UazGw1kOQtAkGBA%3BFc9-5P0dBg34CClhJmDWlVAUazEwEESQtAkGBA%3BFTfg3_0dJ1X1CCk1mrOHWrkVazHAu6V0tAkGEw%3BFc_j3v0dMnTzCCnnwnnzhOoVazFRMZV0tAkGEw%3BFYTm1f0dEvjxCCmXWWs2JhM-azHwfaN0tAkGEw%3BFYIjzf0dGz_vCClhFxoic58-azGQyZV0tAkGEw%3BFaVzyv0dB1PvCCmXSB4Od6c-azGQCUSQtAkGBA%3BFZvzwv0dIersCCnDPJRoA9w7azEwvKIOpHkFEw%3BFT_twv0dWfbsCCnNBkZ5Atw7azGgAJgOpHkFEw%3BFXX3vv0dIRukCCk3MEkauELWajEgVvTrdFYEEw%3BFR3Q0_0d7LHYCA%3BFQ2-0_0dZrvZCCn7zAGReck8azGz1Z-Qh1u8fA%3BFcep2f0dLPnjCClzo7OgzaE9azGAp9dytAkGEw%3BFaEw4f0d65vjCClj7j45mzIWazEwC7WZ0oYLyA%3BFQif5f0dwzLjCCllk4vCNU0WazHwP1RtbuoAEw%3BFfYG8P0d-2f0CCmDZdNpopITazGA5jN0tAkGEw%3BFWjV8f0dIx73CCkntT6ku6ITazFQ3Z1ytAkGEw%3BFUIS__0dzPj0CCkfAZlwT3ISazFRqMHlZ30BEw%3BFXZUAP4dop33CCkXhVsngngSazHwRzMWaH0BBQ%3BFSE5-_0dTjwDCSk_dJrzOJgSazFQqDIWaH0BAw&oq=Robertson+,+&mra=dvme&mrsp=14&sz=7&via=2,3,4,7,8,9,10,12,13,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22&t=m&z=7

I'm gradually getting there, thanks for your help.

I think your shorter version sounds doable. I think Google is under-estimating the time if they suggest you could drive from Eden to Melbourne and then on to Canberra in 8 hours driving time. The road from Eden south would be quite slow travelling (you might average 60-70kph), but the highways close to Melbourne would enable a traveller to make better time. Allowing for driving through towns, other traffic and other slow points on the road, I think you should calculate on averaging 70-80km per hour over a long distance.

Eden - Melbourne - Canberra in 8 hours? :eek: NO WAY! LOL. OP has endless options (maybe that's the problem!) but I wouldn't rely on Google for the journey times. It only takes one traffic snarl up - and they do happen - and you are delayed an hour or so and the whole schedule is kaput. Work on the basis you will need more time than you think.

Thanks, everyone. Google will be working overtime.:)

And thanks for the brutal honesty. Adelaide will have to wait for another time - flights are expensive and the overhead lockers are too small to fit a rented car :D.

Just to clarify. The driving times that I mentioned are google's basic driving times, they're easier to plan than mileages. So 28 hours over 7 days averages 4 hours per day. Or if we spend a day in Melbourne it averages 4hrs 20 mins. In a 9am to 5pm day that gives us around four hours for sightseeing stops, coffee stops, photo-stops, and taking it slow here & there.

Excluding problems & commuter routes, google's estimated driving times in the UK are generally pretty comfortable. Are they as accurate in Aus?

Point taken about driving in the dark, I live near the New Forest - not too many kangaroos, but plenty of wild ponies & deer & free-roaming cattle.

According to the web, daylight in Feb is from daft o'clock in the morning til gone 8pm so that shouldn't be a problem.

Haven't yet investigated the places you've all mentioned, but I've built them into a vague route of 2400k / 29 hours.

If I've grossly under-estimated the time - or if we choose to tarry longer down the coast, which looks increasingly likely - we can skip Melbourne & cut across from around Eden direct to the Snowy Mountains & slice a big 800k / 8hrs off that provisional route, much as J-D suggests. If we did that, would we be missing much scenery or places of interest other than Melbourne itself?

Also included in that route / timing is a tail-end detour to the Blue Mountains suggested by J-D if we get back with time in hand.

We'll not see Sydney when we arrive. We aim to get back to Sydney the evening before our sailing day, and we fly out mid-afternoon the day after we dis-embark.

So if we have that time in hand, would we be best to head for the Blue Mountains? Or add in to our time in Sydney?

Here's that vague route. How does it look?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Sydney,+New+South+Wales,+Australia&daddr=Sea+Cliff+Bridge,+Coalcliff,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:-34.7382161,150.538614+to:-35.0250002,150.6611012+to:-35.0366029,150.668759+to:Hyams+Beach,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:Ulladulla,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:-35.6597213,150.2958471+to:-35.7243374,150.1727221+to:-36.3134682,150.0754104+to:-36.8876789,149.8969877+to:Eden,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:-37.5553011,149.7441614+to:-37.5569294,149.7472895+to:-37.8164591,144.9725775+to:Alpine+Way+to:-36.4548993,148.4870141+to:-36.0668739,149.1581886+to:-35.5735997,149.1343157+to:-35.283192,149.1073957+to:-34.6012263,150.2351312+to:-34.4828408,150.4128351+to:-33.6152942,150.2722047+to:Berambing,+New+South+Wales,+Australia+to:Sydney,+New+South+Wales,+Australia&hl=en&sll=-36.659606,149.952393&sspn=6.273595,12.370605&geocode=FSE5-_0dTjwDCSk_dJrzOJgSazFQqDIWaH0BAw%3BFd9g9f0dRLP_CCmf_BdHFN4SazEHwBgYZqhDgw%3BFdjv7f0ddgn5CCm73ObAU4ITazFgmQFztAkGEw%3BFZiP6f0d7ef6CCnd8zYbbYYUazHgjKB0tAkGEw%3BFUZi6f0d1wX7CCnNFSM9D4YUazFQUaNytAkGEw%3BFfFj6P0deWH7CCnNNCPptY4UazGw1kOQtAkGBA%3BFc9-5P0dBg34CClhJmDWlVAUazEwEESQtAkGBA%3BFTfg3_0dJ1X1CCk1mrOHWrkVazHAu6V0tAkGEw%3BFc_j3v0dMnTzCCnnwnnzhOoVazFRMZV0tAkGEw%3BFYTm1f0dEvjxCCmXWWs2JhM-azHwfaN0tAkGEw%3BFYIjzf0dGz_vCClhFxoic58-azGQyZV0tAkGEw%3BFaVzyv0dB1PvCCmXSB4Od6c-azGQCUSQtAkGBA%3BFZvzwv0dIersCCnDPJRoA9w7azEwvKIOpHkFEw%3BFT_twv0dWfbsCCnNBkZ5Atw7azGgAJgOpHkFEw%3BFXX3vv0dIRukCCk3MEkauELWajEgVvTrdFYEEw%3BFR3Q0_0d7LHYCA%3BFQ2-0_0dZrvZCCn7zAGReck8azGz1Z-Qh1u8fA%3BFcep2f0dLPnjCClzo7OgzaE9azGAp9dytAkGEw%3BFaEw4f0d65vjCClj7j45mzIWazEwC7WZ0oYLyA%3BFQif5f0dwzLjCCllk4vCNU0WazHwP1RtbuoAEw%3BFfYG8P0d-2f0CCmDZdNpopITazGA5jN0tAkGEw%3BFWjV8f0dIx73CCkntT6ku6ITazFQ3Z1ytAkGEw%3BFUIS__0dzPj0CCkfAZlwT3ISazFRqMHlZ30BEw%3BFXZUAP4dop33CCkXhVsngngSazHwRzMWaH0BBQ%3BFSE5-_0dTjwDCSk_dJrzOJgSazFQqDIWaH0BAw&oq=Robertson+,+&mra=dvme&mrsp=14&sz=7&via=2,3,4,7,8,9,10,12,13,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22&t=m&z=7

I'm gradually getting there, thanks for your help.

The link was not working for me, but the shorter route sounds better as you would want to be spending the day in some of the places and at least two in Canberra, there is so much to see and do.:D

I think your shorter version sounds doable. I think Google is under-estimating the time if they suggest you could drive from Eden to Melbourne and then on to Canberra in 8 hours driving time. The road from Eden south would be quite slow travelling (you might average 60-70kph), but the highways close to Melbourne would enable a traveller to make better time. Allowing for driving through towns, other traffic and other slow points on the road, I think you should calculate on averaging 70-80km per hour over a long distance.

Eden - Melbourne - Canberra in 8 hours? :eek: NO WAY! LOL. OP has endless options (maybe that's the problem!) but I wouldn't rely on Google for the journey times. It only takes one traffic snarl up - and they do happen - and you are delayed an hour or so and the whole schedule is kaput. Work on the basis you will need more time than you think.

Err, no. Some misunderstanding here ;)

Google's telling me that instead of going from Eden to Melbourne to Canberra, if we cut from Eden across the Snowy Mts & on to Canberra we save about 800k / 8hrs. Means missing Melbourne, but unless that part of the drive is particularly attractive it's a big saving.

For Eden - Melbourne - Canberra, Google shows 1227k in 13 hrs

For Eden - Jindabyne - Cooma - Canberra, Google shows 360k in under 4 hrs.

To give an idea of Google's predicted average speeds, it puts the average for our entire proposed route at 82kph, but 78kph if we skip the Melbourne loop. The squiggly part of the route down the coast from Sydney to Eden it rates at 68kph.

Google's telling me that instead of going from Eden to Melbourne to Canberra, if we cut from Eden across the Snowy Mts & on to Canberra we save about 800k / 8hrs. Means missing Melbourne, but unless that part of the drive is particularly attractive it's a big saving.

To give an idea of Google's predicted average speeds, it puts the average for our entire proposed route at 82kph, but 78kph if we skip the Melbourne loop. The squiggly part of the route down the coast from Sydney to Eden it rates at 68kph.

Yes, those trip times sound about right, but in regards to the Eden-Mel- Canberra trip it may be to quick, I would think it is more like 18 hours. BTW you are on the freeways for the Mel-Canberra part (700kms at 110km/hr, around 7 hours driving), so you wouldn't get many stops in the day either. The Eden to Sale part is scenic but possibly not more than what you have already seen on the way from Sydney to Eden and the Sale to Melbourne is not so scenic. Hope this helps.:D

The 68km sounds pretty much on the money. Only thing is if they are doing roadworks along the way (which is pretty much all the time) it could be slower.

We drove Melbourne to Batemans Bay in a day last year, were going to stop in Eden but got an early start and decided to keep going on to our holiday house. Its a REALLY long drive, definitely not recommended for a visitor. Whilst Melbourne is a lovely city to visit as a Sydneysider who worked in the UK for a few years I think you will probably enjoy the countryside more than the city.

The most scenic part of the coast is from just above Wollongong through to Eden (I will probably get shot down in flames for that:p ) The Seacliff bridge is new and amazing if you go along the Grand Pacific Drive Route you will love that part of it!

http://www.grandpacificdrive.com.au/

You can see a pic of the bridge here, I understand you can park the car and go for a walk.

http://www.grandpacificdrive.com.au/routes-and-maps/45/stanwell-park-to-thirroul

Driving from Eden up through the Snowy Mountains will give you a look at some great forest scenery. If you are a walker you can even walk to the top of Mt Kosciuszko (Australia's highest mountain) at that time of the year or do a little trout fishing if you are that way inclined

http://www.snowymountains.com.au/

Details of lots of walks here (even easy ones for me!):

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkWalking.aspx?id=N0018

I think you will have a ball!

When you are calculating your driving times, in the bush, allow for not driving around dawn or dusk, when you are more likely to hit a kangaroo, etc.

Check the conditions of your car hire. In Ayres Rock, we were not permitted to drive until after daylight and had to arrive before dusk. In Tasmania, we weren't covered for single vehicle accidents. Some won't allow you to drive on dirt roads.

John Bull

My suggestion to you - with only 8 days between arrival and departure -- that you draw a circle around Sydney with an approximate 200 klm radius - and you stay within that circle. You will find more than enough to fill in 8 days there -- you will need at least 5 days in Sydney by itself. :)

Barry

Archived