No more Venice?

ladylemondrop

I throughly enjoyed our cruise down the Grand Canal with Pavarotti playing in the PA system. It was very special. Mickey Arison's yacht was tied up outside the Danielli and they did a little salute as we passed. I enjoyed it but am also sensitive to the concerns of the people living there.

We were last there in July 2008 and it was so crowded that there was no room for the pigeons in Piazza San Marco to land. Venice is a sight to behold but it is quite overrun.

With all due respect, if you were on a cruise ship, I doubt you sailed down the Grand Canal. Giudecca Canal probably, but I can't think of a cruise ship that could possibly sail down the Grand Canal.

One thing to clearly remember, without tourists, there would be no Venice. Where would the money come from to keep the sinking spectacle repaired and admirable? While the path of the larger ships may clearly need to change, I think the seeping sewerage needs attending to before the acidity of the water damages the underpinings more.

I think the article and the political effort is more about the path of the ships than the thought of banning tourism.

I am glad we did Venice last year as it was a spectacular sail in / out and I hope they can fins some sort of comprimise.

A message to Louise the OP

I watched your Silouette 2012 video again tonight, as I do anytime I miss cruising. It is 9 months till we cruise again and I am sure I will watch your charming family enjoying their holiday many times bwtween now and then.

Thanks

I am glad we did Venice last year as it was a spectacular sail in / out and I hope they can fins some sort of comprimise.

A message to Louise the OP

I watched your Silouette 2012 video again tonight, as I do anytime I miss cruising. It is 9 months till we cruise again and I am sure I will watch your charming family enjoying their holiday many times bwtween now and then.

Thanks

That is so sweet of you! Thank you! We are planning to make another video when we cruise in october!

Good grief. I just booked the Silhouette for June of 2014 which starts and ends in Venice. It will be interesting to see if this ban goes into effect how it will impact our cruise.

I just don't see how this will happen within the next few years. In order for the ships to be banned there has to be a plan in place as to where to move them. Contracts are in place between the port and cruise lines. Law suits will hold this up for several years. Do I think that it will happen? Yes but not within the next few years.

Hi Louise, were are you cruising in October, we are doing the Baltics in June 2014.

Greece and Turkey, on Reflection, cannot wait! Not been to baltics yet, but hope to someday.

I hope they continue cruising in and out of venice for a few years, so I can do that again too!

I wouldn't worry too much! Articles like these are "ghosting" through European newspaper several times a year, and nothing has really happened. Some plans seem to exist and environmentalists keep warning that big ships might damage the canal, but besides some speeches and newspaper articles no action at all has been taken. The same thing happens every year when the tourist crowds flock into Venice ( or Florence, or Rome, or Pisa...) - some complaints because there are HUGE crowds, but on the other hand they bring money into Italy's struggling economy.

We're on the Oct. 31 Silhouette Adriatic and will sail out on Nov.1. So glad we're getting to do this again (last was 2004) if, in fact it could be the last time. As others have said, sailing in/out of Venice is an unforgettable experience.

We're on the same cruise! Can't wait.

As far as timing of this, I am glad we'll likely not have an issue as soon as November...would be an unpleasant start to go to am industrial port:D

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We're on the same cruise! Can't wait.

As far as timing of this, I am glad we'll likely not have an issue as soon as November...would be an unpleasant start to go to am industrial port:D

Andrew

Andrew, have a great cruise. We'll be there 30th September/1st October on Equinox.

Phil

I live in San Jose, just an hour from the terminal, and have been watching this project, so please forgive me for jumping in and answering for Andrew.

The new terminal will still be on the Embarcadero, close to Fisherman's Wharf, the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square. It will be located at Pier 27. The structure is mostly complete, but is currently being used by the America's Cup organization. After the races, more facilities will be added, with a planned opening in Fall of 2014.

Here is more information than you will ever need about the project: http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=282

Princess now has the Grand Princess home ported out of San Francisco, offering 7 and 10 night cruises. I would expect more cruises in the future, but who knows.

Thanks, Boogs. Very helpful. I was trying to remember where I posted this question, just knew it was off topic. Finally realized I only had to look at threads I had posted to. Duh.

Thanks, Boogs. Very helpful. I was trying to remember where I posted this question, just knew it was off topic. Finally realized I only had to look at threads I had posted to. Duh.

Glad you found it! Excellent description by Blogs, so I didn't add more. Pier 35 was such a pit!

Andrew

I wasn't even going to address that one, but since you did, I'll add my .02. I've seen the videos and photos and that ship is a lot closer to the bank than ships usually are in that channel. I don't know if they ever proved the allegation of a "salute," but what is fact is, that ship was way too close. Someone screwed up.

And all of that insensitive nonsense to salute Mickey Arison in his nearby yatch???:eek: What were they thinking ????? :mad:

If that proves to be the tipping point in that ''get the cruise ships out of here'' debate, then....CCL has been asking for it !:mad:

Andrew, have a great cruise. We'll be there 30th September/1st October on Equinox.

Phil

Hey, Phil, have a great cruise with "the gang!". Glad you'll have time in Venice, too.

The last time I was in Venice was in March of 2001...foggy, slightly eerie and yet wonderful... admittedly no crowds. We were on our way to go skiing in the Dolomites, and stayed out on the Lido.

Hoping to enjoy this visit, too. Will hope for a spectacular sail out especially if the chance to do this might be limited in the future.

Andrew

And all of that insensitive nonsense to salute Mickey Arison in his nearby yatch???:eek: What were they thinking ????? :mad:

If that proves to be the tipping point in that ''get the cruise ships out of here'' debate, then....CCL has been asking for it !:mad:

Clearly for some people, rumor and misconception is valued much more than facts and truth. I guess to them believing the worse of something is more satisfying than acknowledging the facts that prove otherwise. :rolleyes:

Regardless of the environmental issues Venice cannot handle the extra 10,000 tourist per day that the cruise industry dumps on them.

We were there in Nov, 2007 and it was great. We were there in May, 2013, and it was difficult to get anywhere or see anything because of the crowds. The Vaporetto(sp) is a accident waiting to happen. They were packed like a sardine can all of the time.

The best time to see Venice is at night when many of the cruisers are on the ships.

Archived