First OV

We're young and frugal and we've always booked inside on previous sailings. We've always been happy to be on the ship. BUT We just had a price drop after final payment, so we decided to upgrade to our very first OV (for no extra charge)! I know many of you are like :rolleyes:, but I'm excited!

So... First, I'm in trouble, aren't I? We're just going to keep creeping up from here now, right? lol.

Second, now I need to know which cabin is ours from the outside! :p I've never cared before. On Enchantment, Deck 4 is the deck below the deck with the lifeboats hanging off, right?

We're young and frugal and we've always booked inside on previous sailings. We've always been happy to be on the ship. BUT We just had a price drop after final payment, so we decided to upgrade to our very first OV (for no extra charge)! I know many of you are like :rolleyes:, but I'm excited!

So... First, I'm in trouble, aren't I? We're just going to keep creeping up from here now, right? lol.

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your "new" cabin, but yes, I'm afraid it is a slippery "slope." Before you know it, you'll be hooked on balconies. We jumped from promenade cabins and one OV right to a junior suite, and now we can't go back.

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your "new" cabin, but yes, I'm afraid it is a slippery "slope." Before you know it, you'll be hooked on balconies. We jumped from promenade cabins and one OV right to a junior suite, and now we can't go back.

I can see DH & I doing that one day! The double points are attractive! :D

I've been in every category from cheapest interior to JS ... honestly I'm just happy to be onboard. Going on the Brilliance in an "N" interior on the 3rd floor in a couple weeks. D1 on the Independence. Sooooo Have fun!!!

I can see DH & I doing that one day! The double points are attractive! :D

That is one of the big reasons we've done it. The extra space is nice, too. On our last cruise, we were a group of four, and the other couple would come up to our JS each night before dinner for a drink. It was very pleasant. Loved the walk-in closet as well! (The first time around, the JS was a birthday surprise from my hubby, and what a surprise!)

Second, now I need to know which cabin is ours from the outside! :p I've never cared before. On Enchantment, Deck 4 is the deck below the deck with the lifeboats hanging off, right?

Congrats on moving up! We have sailed in every cabin category from IN to BAL, and honestly, I'm just happy to be on a ship. It really makes little difference to me where I hang my hat. We were just on Grandeur, in an OV on Deck 4. You will not see the lifeboats from your window. I really enjoy Deck 4 on that class of ship because it's right off the Centrum, where there is a lot of action. Now I'll share my "secret" with you. Walk up one flight to Deck 5, the Promenade deck, and the entire deck is surrounded with lounge chairs, and it will become your "balcony." I prefer Port-side--it's less windy. It's my favorite place to relax, read, nap, and people watch. Enjoy!!!

Agree with all. We started inside, did one OV, then Balcony..oh my! Then JS.... Holy cow! Then GS.... OMG!!! We have a Crown Loft in 3 weeks! Think I may be ruined for life! Can't wait to try an OS, then Royal Suite (right!).

Then again, on board is on board... It's all good!

Congrats on the upgrade.

I know others say that once they sail in a nicer cabin, they cannot imagine sailing in anything less. Fortunately, I have not had that experience. I have sailed in everything from an inside to a crown loft. After the crown loft our next sailing was a OV with a porthole. While the crown loft was wonderful and unforgettable, we had a great cruise in the porthole stateroom. I admit since I personally like natural light, rarely choose an inside, but I will if that fits the availability and pricing (then I'll watch like a hawk for upgrade opportunities).

Enjoy this cruise in your OV cabin. See how much the window does (or does not) mean to you. Next time, look at your cabin choices and budget; you'll then know what to do.

You got it.... We went from an OV to a balcony and swore we would never go back. Now, we try to get a Junior Suite if at all possible. They could give away the inside or window cabins and we would pass the offer by....

Not to worry about being spoiled with an OV. If you are really and truly frugal you will still weigh the options for value. A cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

It may be a "step" towards higher priced cabins...but it might not! My mother is quite happy in an inside cabin....she figures she gets all of the ship's amenities, but without the price! She's frugal, that one!

Now, we're different....when we vacation, I want to be AT LEAST as comfy as I am at home, so we book at the MINIMUM, a balcony, but usually a JS.... it's really up to your comfort level!

We have had oceanview, balcony and junior suite over our 14 cruises and the only cabins that are really memorable were a family oceanview we got via a gty booking with just two of us and an aft balcony (7408) for FOS because of the amazing balcony. Our next two cruises, Enchantment on Friday and Freedom in December, we are in oceanview rooms.

To us the cabin is the place for the four S's and storage for our stuff. We don't tend to hang out in there when we have a beautiful ship to enjoy.

Bring a teddy bear or some decorations with you to put in your window so you will recognize it from the pier. :) That will make for a cute picture. Of course, this only works if you are on the docking side of the ship. ;)

Good point! We were thinking about picking up some window clings for the kids cabins (and maybe ours), if we can find some that look cute. Our friends upgraded to the same rooms on port, so wither way we dock, we should be able to see one.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

To us the cabin is the place for the four S's and storage for our stuff. We don't tend to hang out in there when we have a beautiful ship to enjoy.

Never heard it put this way. 4 S's - hmmm can't help but wonder if I'm thinking of the same 4! Lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have sailed in everything from inside to Royal Suite... last cruise was an inside... next cruise is an OV... With the change in smoking policy we'll be going back to balconies and suites.. but may take an inside again.... who knows... it really doesn't matter... because the Blessing is in the Journey!!

Wishing you fair winds and following seas!

Congrats!!!! I know how excited I was when we got my first OV upgrade!! I was over the moon. So far we have never went back to an inside as of yet. And right now I'm trying to upgrade to a balcony, which is more down that slippery slope..gonna be hard to go back after that!!

ENJOY your cruise!!

You aren't necessarily ruined. Money used to nit be an issue and I had no problems booking suites. However, after the economy change I went back to school. Being on a "student budget" and still wanting to cruise made me a inside cabin cruiser. To be brutally honest, the main thing I miss is the CL and the double credits. The nice thing about the inside is you can sleep without the sun waking you up (bring a clock though). I'm turning Diamond after my next cruise, so I will be happy to enjoy the DL in the near future.

All that being said, when money is no longer an issue, I will be back to the suite life. However, I might have to throw in the occasional inside cabin for the enjoyable memories of my time back as a student. Classes are so much more appreciated as an adult that has experienced the "real world". Go George Mason Patriots!

Oh Gosh! No:rolleyes: from me!

I am so happy that you got an upgrade with no extra money!

I am frugal too.

We did a balcony on FOS and I would always love to have a balcony, but I sure dont have to, to have a good time.

I think each cruise is a different set of circumstances.

Archived