Carrying cash around while cruising.

Seas_Please

I'm reluctant to carry too much cash around, but how easy is it to exchange US $$ currency to € on board ship or at the ports?

Are the exchange rates very high?

Do people use travelers checks anymore?

Can you get currency from American credit cards on board ship or ports?

How secure are the safes in the rooms on board?

What is the best plan to make sure you have enough € currency for when you need it?

Thank you

I'm reluctant to carry too much cash around, but how easy is it to exchange US $$ currency to € on board ship or at the ports?

Are the exchange rates very high?

Yes, very high!!

Do people use travelers checks anymore?

Probably exchange them on the ship for US currency but, difficult to exchange elsewhere

Can you get currency from American credit cards on board ship or ports?

Yes but, a cash advance and you pay a fee to exchange plus interest starts immediately. The absolute best way to get foreign money is to use your ATM card at an ATM. Have never been charged an ATM fee outside the US. And, your exchange rate is the best you can get. Otherwise use a credit card without a foreign transaction fee. Many out there, just need to do a little searching. Know Capital One has all of their cards without the fee, just don't like Cap 1

How secure are the safes in the rooms on board?

Just fine.

What is the best plan to make sure you have enough € currency for when you need it?

Go to an ATM first thing wherever you change currencies and get a little local currency.

Thank you

See answers above in red.

Before you leave the US, get enough currency that you will need until you can find an ATM machine. The ships charge a much higher fee to exchange US dollars into euros, etc. than the ATM's offer you. Notify your credit card companies that you will be traveling and tell them which countries you will be in. Also notify your bank that gives you the ATM card. I only use ATM machines that are in a bank because of the fraud gadjets that are put on ATM machines everywhere. And I only carry a small amount of cash anywhere because credit cards are so widely accepted. Try to get one that does NOT have an exchange rate - I know that Chase offers them along with some American Express cards and Capitol

One cards.

I have never had any trouble with the in-room safes!

Enjoy your trip!!!

Check with your local bank - you should be able to order foreign currency through them. Order in advance - it may take a few days.

I've ordered foreign currency through my little branch bank here in New Hampshire. You shouldn't have any problems.

It's good to have some foreign cash before you leave, for taxis, tips, odds and ends.

We rely on ATMs for getting foreign currency abroad. Traveler's Checks are a hassle to cash/use, the exchange rate onboard and at hotels is not good, and ATMs are everywhere.

Our Amex has no foreign transaction fees.

We take two ATM cards tied to two different accounts just in case. We can only draw from checking accounts and not savings when abroad so we make sure the cash is in the correct accounts before we leave or move it around if we need more.

Check with your local bank - you should be able to order foreign currency through them. Order in advance - it may take a few days.

I've ordered foreign currency through my little branch bank here in New Hampshire. You shouldn't have any problems.

It's good to have some foreign cash before you leave, for taxis, tips, odds and ends.

May I ask the bank you use. I have had problems before trying to get euros. Youmay email me at debocon 466 at yahoo dot com

We went to our bank and bought currency... we were on a Baltics cruise that had 5 different currencies over our trip (Euro, DKK, SEK, Zlotsky and Rubles). That said, you could also use the ATM.

One (important) thing: We had issues with our american cards (aka non-chip, non-pin number), especially in taxis. I found out you can request a chip based card from Amex, for like 10 bucks. Trust me - if you plan to take a taxi in Europe, save yourself some potential hassle and get one of these. See me in Stockholm running up the gangway, into the room/safe and grabbing Euros because our driver was kind enough to take them, then back out). 5 minutes before sail off to boot. I'm tired just thinking of it! :) We will never travel to Europe without a chip based credit card again. YMMV

So you all are saying ATMs are everywhere? All the cruise ports will have ATM machines or do you have to find a bank somewhere to use the ATM?

You will be able to find ATMs pretty easily. They might not be right at the port, but they will be in all the tourist areas. Make sure your bank/card company is aware you are traveling to that area to avoid any issues. I'm not sure what the charge is for pulling cash out from a foreign ATM, but I don't think it's too bad.

I've not been to any country yet where ATM's are unavailable. As stated earlier, however, be aware of what ATM machines you use. Use only bank ATM's if you possibly can. Some countries are more known for robberies at ATM's than others, so if you are not inside the bank during business hours, also make sure there are two of you with one transacting the change and one watching to ensure your safety. Obviously, this is also a problem in many US cities - so don't get upset, just take reasonable precautions and you'll be fine.

I set up a separate ATM account with my bank that is specifically for travel, with the maximum amount I anticipate spending. That way, if my card is stolen or "hacked" all they can get is the amount in that account, and they have no way to access any of my regular bank accounts or information, eliminating the "hassle" factor if you are unlucky and get robbed/hacked. If I decide to make a larger purchase, I put it on the credit card or contact the bank and transfer additional funds into my travel fund. And yes, absolutely let both your credit companies and your bank know you will be travelling, where and during what time frame. If you do not, you will likely have your account frozen by their security section, which is a hassle and can be embarrassing.

Travelers Checks are not accepted in most places any more due to the possibility of forgeries and theft (that goes for banks as well as merchants), so don't bother unless you are going to only change your money onboard, and even there you may not be able to obtain currencies from all countries you're visiting.

In some countries US$ are accepted for some limited things, but don't depend on it. If you do take US$ see that they are in excellent condition - in some countries where they are accepted they will not accept creased/torn/rumpled/worn US currency.

There is no undue need for concern travelling abroad, just be aware of your surroundings and as cautious as you would be in unfamiliar areas at home.

And, I also have never had any concerns regarding the onboard safes.

Edited by TKS

We rely on ATMs for getting foreign currency abroad. Traveler's Checks are a hassle to cash/use, the exchange rate onboard and at hotels is not good, and ATMs are everywhere.

Our Amex has no foreign transaction fees.

We take two ATM cards tied to two different accounts just in case. We can only draw from checking accounts and not savings when abroad so we make sure the cash is in the correct accounts before we leave or move it around if we need more.

We have an Amex Gold Card and I did not know that they don't charge fees for transaction. Do you mean no commission

We have an Amex Gold Card and I did not know that they don't charge fees for transaction. Do you mean no commission

It is only the Amex Platinum card that has no foreign transaction fees. Not sure what commissions you are talking about.

Your Gold Card will charge you a 2.7% fee on any charges not in US dollars.

Hope this helps. By the way, only the Platinum Card that costs $450 per year is foreign transaction fee free. There are other Amex Platinum cards that do have the fee.

We were on an Oceania excursion in Shanghai last March/April...as part of our cruise Beijing to Bangkok when a fellow passenger had his card "swallowed " by an ATM machine. Our guide called the local authorities but no one seemed to have any authority to open the machine (which was outside a bank.) We carried on with the excursion and the passenger joined us later but still didn't have his card. Supposedly he was to get it later in the day but also the ship was sailing that evening. We never did find out if he got the card back but after that we were afraid to use an ATM especially in countries where one doesn't speak the language.

We have always managed fine with credit cards and a little US cash for non credit card purchases. If we need extra US cash we get it from reception....yes it is expensive but hassle free .

We always get currency from the countries we are visiting from our bank before we leave home. All extra cash stays in the safe. We carry small bills if we are going to use dollars. United Explorer and chase sapphire do not charge transaction fees. We have been all over the world, never used an ATM and never had a problem.

May I ask the bank you use. I have had problems before trying to get euros. Youmay email me at debocon 466 at yahoo dot com

Sovereign Bank (soon to be renamed for its Spanish parent, Santander Bank).

Not sure if you must be an existing customer with a savings or checking account as I am.

Our style mirrors Rupert. We order cash for the countries we are visiting before we leave, have never visited an ATM while traveling; we also bring some extra US dollars in case we are spending more local cash than anticipated and need to buy more, but this has been rare. Keep daily funds with us, and extra cash in the safe. Use United Presidential Plus through Chase credit card when traveling, for no foreign transaction fees.

For those whose bank doesn't sell foreign currencies (like mine) you can use Wells Fargo online, pay with a credit card, be charged like a regular purchase, not a cash advance, and have the currency delivered to your door by Fedex the next day.

The cost for this is on par with what banks charge, depending what your bank charges of course. I've used this service 2 or 3 times and am happy with it. You pay for it, but depending on your situation the convenience is well worth the cost. Also if you spend over a $1000 the shipping charges are waived.

The general consensus is that using an ATM will get you the best rate, but then again you have to deal with your daily limit & the limit of the ATM you're using. If you need a considerable amount of foreign currency you'll be making multiple stops.

I haven't decided for sure which way I'll do it on our trip in about 60 days. I have used ATM's in the past, and have prepurchased money before we leave home.

Edited by ORV

I have never had a problem relying on ATMs to get local cash as soon as we land in our first country. ATMs at all international airports are ubiquitous and, from my research, cheaper than getting foreign currency before we leave the US. You won't need foreign currency between the plane and the first ATM; they are always well before you reach the taxi zone. I do typically carry a pretty significant number of $1 bills in US money to use for tips regardless of where I am, and I've never had anyone say he or she only wanted tips in local currency.:rolleyes:

[quote name=ORV;39900254

The general consensus is that using an ATM will get you the best rate' date=' but then again you have to deal with your daily limit & the limit of the ATM you're using. If you need a considerable amount of foreign currency you'll be making multiple stops.

I haven't decided for sure which way I'll do it on our trip in about 60 days. I have used ATM's in the past, and have prepurchased money before we leave home.[/quote]

Let your bank know your needs. They can change the daily withdrawal limit on your ATM for your specified dates, if you wish.

Edited by TKS

Let your bank know your needs. They can change the daily withdrawal limit on your ATM for your specified dates, if you wish.

Actually I've done this, they are very inflexible on this subject. I was told it didn't matter how much your balance is on a regular basis there is a limit, that they won't change.

I do use this bank for other reasons though, like having a personal banker at a local branch I can actually call and do business with instead of using the 800#.

But even beside my daily limit there is also the limits that the ATMs have also.

It's a good idea though.

Actually I've done this, they are very inflexible on this subject. I was told it didn't matter how much your balance is on a regular basis there is a limit, that they won't change.

The bank I spoke of is a small local bank. Not one of the huge nationals, which I've found are typically quite inflexible. Local banks typically depend on their service to bring in and retain customers, so they are easier to work with.