Do not book an expensive suite on the oasis

kmkord

Sorry, meant to add, that I was on the Allure, am familiar with the ship, but mom paid for it for my birthday, so we choose a cheap inside cabin because of this.

We are looking at repeat in one of the suites for a special cruise. These suites are awesome and I would appreciate, the good the bad and the reasons to choose them or NOT

Thank you in advance.

I have to agree with OP about workers on the balcony with no warning. I also would not want them knocking on my balcony door to let me know they are going to be working out there. What if I had just got out of the shower and was walking around the room with nothing or little on?

At least knock on cabin door and let me know!

I have to agree with OP about workers on the balcony with no warning. I also would not want them knocking on my balcony door to let me know they are going to be working out there. What if I had just got out of the shower and was walking around the room with nothing or little on?

We received a printed notice during our cruise saying while we were in port that day maintenance was going to be done on some balconies and to keep your curtains closed. On disembarkment day, I would not expect them to notify me since you need to be out of your cabin early.

As far as walking around your room with nothing on, if you choose to do that after the ship has docked, you are just asking for trouble. Depending on the port, you could easily find yourself on youtube.

I completely agree! Lord knows what those workers could've seen. And a knock on my balcony door when no one was supposed to be out there would probably have given me a heart attack.

In the past, when balcony maintenance/cleaning is planned, a card has been placed in our stateroom a day or two ahead of time warning us. Is this no longer done?

OP, I'd really like to know what your issue was as well. You just have to ignore the meanies who post that the problem had to be you and not anyone at RCI.

And love the person who thinks it is not a concierge's job to help fulfill a request for an ice bucket and champagne flutes...:rolleyes: If a concierge cannot make something as simple as that happen, I'd hate to see how they handled a real problem...oy.

Nimbex, as far as suite selection, I won't be able to help you much. We also booked a full suite for a very special triple celebration, but our choice was limited because since my brother requires a wheelchair accessible suite and there is only one wheelchair accessible full suite on the Oasis and one on the Allure (and none on any of the other Royal Caribbean ships) we had to book the one accessible Crown Loft Suite.

But if you want information about other factors and good/bad full suite experiences on the Oasis, you can email me at kacruiser@sbcglobal.net and I'll try to answer your questions/provide the info I can.

kmkord, based on your experiences, I would be interested in asking you a couple of questions off the boards, if you are willing to email me also.

As far as walking around your room with nothing on, if you choose to do that after the ship has docked, you are just asking for trouble. Depending on the port, you could easily find yourself on youtube.

I think people in Central park and Boardwalk balconies need to take heed to this. :D Its amazing what you see, as people forget we can see you when those curtains are open...:eek: The sheer curtains are see through at night when the lights are on inside the cabin.

I really wish that the OP would come back and give specific credentials of her complaints. Only then can I know if they are things that I think are legitimate and might sway me more or less away from booking a concierge level room.

Of the two things that HAVE been mentioned in the thread:

The other poster, who asked Israel for ice and was meant with a erectile--yeah, I agree that that Israel was out of line and the request was simple, reasonable one which ought to have been met, at a minimum, with friendly advice about how to contact the "right" person to get the ice--but better yet ought to have been dealt with by the concierge. In ANY case, a lecture was out of line.

The OP's people on the balcony on the final day. I actually DO think that guests should be warned that workers will be on the balconies starting at X hour, so long as the hour is before you have to leave your room. I also know that this happens on every line I have been on, without warning, on debarkation day--so I deal with it.

It got interesting on Legend. We had an alternate debarkation port, so I was not thinking about it being "that" day, we had slept in to avoid the masses at breakfast, and I was just out of the shower when there were men on my balcony (that "what if" someone posted? Yes, it happens). So, yes, warning (via a note the night before, message left on the phone the night before, or a knock on the interior door, would be a good thing to provide for guests. It did not ruin or cruise--it was a momentary shock and then more funny than anything else, but I can imagine it would be very upsetting to some people.

An, no I do not think it was otherwise foolish to be nude in my room with the curtain open while in port. Another ship docked near us would not be able to see past the balcony and into the closet area (on the hallway side) of the cabin--only someone ON the balcony would be able to see so far into the room.

Isreal will be on vacation. I'm on the same cruise. :)

Just curious as to where you are finding out where you are finding these names from? I was on the Ruby last Halloween and am planning on sailing on it again and wouldn't mind getting the same person but can't for the life of me remember his name.

Just curious as to where you are finding out where you are finding these names from? I was on the Ruby last Halloween and am planning on sailing on it again and wouldn't mind getting the same person but can't for the life of me remember his name.

There is a thread on here called current cd. I also knew he was going on vacation when I was on Oasis a few ago. I'm not sure if there is something like this on the princess board.

I really wish that the OP would come back and give specific credentials of her complaints. Only then can I know if they are things that I think are legitimate....

Yep. I think OP got quite a shock when so many members called her out on the negativity her original post and very few details. *shrug* She now figures what's the use in writing a review when clearly, several members have encouraged her to do so.

Yep. I think OP got quite a shock when so many members called her out on the negativity her original post and very few details. *shrug* She now figures what's the use in writing a review when clearly, several members have encouraged her to do so.

Yes, an I CAN understand that it seems somewhat suspect when someone makes blanket statements without providing any facts--but I can also understand wanting to finish the cruise and then post more. Too bad OP won't go ahead and post for the many who did not jump to conclusions and have asked.

More importantly--I hope you are feeling okay today and I sen you many good thoughts as you fight your battle with cancer. My mom is now 24 years cancer free. It was a hard time, but it has been over for a long time now and I wish you much the same.

More importantly--I hope you are feeling okay today and I sen you many good thoughts as you fight your battle with cancer. My mom is now 24 years cancer free. It was a hard time, but it has been over for a long time now and I wish you much the same.

Thank you for your warm thoughts. I'm afraid today is not a good day but there is always tomorrow, and your Mom's long survivorship and others' here is what keeps me going. :)

I really wish that the OP would come back and give specific credentials of her complaints. Only then can I know if they are things that I think are legitimate and might sway me more or less away from booking a concierge level room.

Of the two things that HAVE been mentioned in the thread:

The other poster, who asked Israel for ice and was meant with a erectile--yeah, I agree that that Israel was out of line and the request was simple, reasonable one which ought to have been met, at a minimum, with friendly advice about how to contact the "right" person to get the ice--but better yet ought to have been dealt with by the concierge. In ANY case, a lecture was out of line.

The OP's people on the balcony on the final day. I actually DO think that guests should be warned that workers will be on the balconies starting at X hour, so long as the hour is before you have to leave your room. I also know that this happens on every line I have been on, without warning, on debarkation day--so I deal with it.

It got interesting on Legend. We had an alternate debarkation port, so I was not thinking about it being "that" day, we had slept in to avoid the masses at breakfast, and I was just out of the shower when there were men on my balcony (that "what if" someone posted? Yes, it happens). So, yes, warning (via a note the night before, message left on the phone the night before, or a knock on the interior door, would be a good thing to provide for guests. It did not ruin or cruise--it was a momentary shock and then more funny than anything else, but I can imagine it would be very upsetting to some people.

An, no I do not think it was otherwise foolish to be nude in my room with the curtain open while in port. Another ship docked near us would not be able to see past the balcony and into the closet area (on the hallway side) of the cabin--only someone ON the balcony would be able to see so far into the room.

Oh, my, that must have been a shock on the Legend. I always tell DH to pull the curtains when he's changing clothes in port. Like you, he thinks nobody could see him from another ship or building ashore. And sans binoculars or telescope, he is probably correct. But, too often I have seen work being done on the ship's exterior when in port. Window washing, painting, varnishing, balcony cleaning, metal work, etc. The workers are then right outside, sometimes on rigging, carefully working their way along. I imagine most have learned not to look into the cabins; somethings they do not wish to see:eek:.

So, perhaps you'll opt to close those drapes even if it is not disembarkation day, because it maybe window washing or exterior maintenance day in port.

I too wish the OP would give more details about what upset her so badly. Her feelings are what they are and, therefore, have validity. But what badly upsets one person does not upset another. For example, if a concierge did not know every tender port(especially if concierge or route was new), I'd let it slide while it would evidently bug others. But if I were entitled to priority tendering and he would not answer or assist at the appropriate time, I likely would be frustrated. Differing expectations, I suppose.

I just think the op had high expectations, because she paid a lot for a suite and service should be at the highest. We'll service can slip sometimes at the moment in question. My first comment I said we need to know what's wrong so we can help you. She never responded but complains about internet price and service. Maybe she had cruise in a suite on another line and the got free internet. When you start throwing dollar amounts around, we'll people are going to see you differently. In a previous old thread she makes comments she had 2 bad cruise prior. It's obvious service needs to be above and beyond for some but all the cruises I been on nothing has ruined a cruise for me, yeah there has been slow service sometimes and one electrical problem in my suite, but they made good on it.

As we are human ones own experiences can be totally different then another's.

I have never made request with the concierges. I pretty much setup all my reservations myself, if there was something I might have difficult with I would go to one of them.

I just think the op had high expectations, because she paid a lot for a suite and service should be at the highest. We'll service can slip sometimes at the moment in question. My first comment I said we need to know what's wrong so we can help you. She never responded but complains about internet price and service. Maybe she had cruise in a suite on another line and the got free internet. When you start throwing dollar amounts around, we'll people are going to see you differently. In a previous old thread she makes comments she had 2 bad cruise prior. It's obvious service needs to be above and beyond for some but all the cruises I been on nothing has ruined a cruise for me, yeah there has been slow service sometimes and one electrical problem in my suite, but they made good on it.

As we are human ones own experiences can be totally different then another's.

I have never made request with the concierges. I pretty much setup all my reservations myself, if there was something I might have difficult with I would go to one of them.

interesting pick up. I had not bothered to read any of her old posts. she said eariler on this thread she'd taken 20 (or so) cruises, so maybe two bad ones should be put in perspective. Of course, I've been on over forty without a truly bad one (though one is a heck of a story with embarkation delayed 24 hrs, then rerouted by tropical store and a hurricane hitting Halifax the day we had been scheduled there, and ending with a broken ankle...ill-fated cruise, but everybody teases me about it:))

interestingly she has been on a few NCL roll calls since 2008, but on this thread says she had not cruised for ten years. Odd, but maybe it seemed like 10 years to her.

interestingly she has been on a few NCL roll calls since 2008, but on this thread says she had not cruised for ten years. Odd, but maybe it seemed like 10 years to her.

Not that it much matters, but maybe she just meant she hasn't cruised RCI in 10 years.

If she is used to NCL suite perks, (I have heard they treat their suite guests very well) perhaps that explains some of her frustration.

All speculation at this point anyway.

I understand the need for us to ask more questions and require the OP to qualify and quantify his/her statements...as any prudent person would do when offering advice. But since the OP did not offer much detail, take the post at face value only.

Seems some here disagree............but YES if I pay $9,000 for a special suite, I will expect special treatment from the staff and housekeeper. RCI is not afraid to charge and advertise "suite enhancement" benefits and the like. I will expect they will provide what promised and also provide special recognition by staff members too. Why else does RCI give suite holders that silly Gold Card and have special suite guest areas?

The Concierge most definitely should treat suite guests with deference.

Given we do not know all the details of the OP's issues..........What we do know is that the OP paid a lot of $$$ for the suite and does not feel he/she is being properly cared for. The Concierge and RCi should be making this OP happy.

if I pay $9,000 for a special suite, I will expect special treatment from the staff and housekeeper. RCI is not afraid to charge and advertise "suite enhancement" benefits and the like. I will expect they will provide what promised

We're on the same page here

and also provide special recognition by staff members too.

What exactly does that mean, and why?

Why else does RCI give suite holders that silly Gold Card

The same reason cat food is shaped like little fish or drumsticks.

and have special suite guest areas?

Not sure your point? These areas exist for loyal guests who have spent a lot of $$ over time or suite guests who spend a lot at once. So, yeah, those areas are designed as a reward for certain people to use.

The Concierge most definitely should treat suite guests with deference.

Given we do not know all the details of the OP's issues..........What we do know is that the OP paid a lot of $$$ for the suite and does not feel he/she is being properly cared for. The Concierge and RCi should be making this OP happy.

They are showing deference to OP by making themselves available to OP and NOT to the majority of other guests. They are a concierge, not a magician. If OP can't communicate what they expect or why they are not satisfied, no one has the opportunity to rectify the situation.

It's like dealing with a petulant child. If you don't know WHAT they are upset about, correcting the issue is difficult and frustrating.

Not that it much matters, but maybe she just meant she hasn't cruised RCI in 10 years.

If she is used to NCL suite perks, (I have heard they treat their suite guests very well) perhaps that explains some of her frustration.

All speculation at this point anyway.

Maybe she did mean 10 years since her last RCI cruise. Good thought.

I have been in suites on NCL and RCI and Celebrity. I find NCL's suite life superior to RCI and X. And that was in NCL penthouses and family suites; I have not yet sailed in one of NCL top tier suites with the Haven and such. Perhaps the OP was used to having the haven and a highly attentive butler and an excellent concierge as well as a special little portable phone and special breakfast and lunch venues. Oh yeah, if she expected all that, I can imagine substantial disappointment and frustration. Oh course, if RCI offered all that, then their top tier suites on the newest class of mega ship might have cost even more that $8800:eek:.

..........What we do know is that the OP paid a lot of $$$ for the suite and does not feel he/she is being properly cared for. The Concierge and RCi should be making this OP happy.

What we do know is that the OP is the one person not contributing to keeping this thread going.

They are showing deference to OP by making themselves available to OP and NOT to the majority of other guests. They are a concierge, not a magician. If OP can't communicate what they expect or why they are not satisfied, no one has the opportunity to rectify the situation.

It's like dealing with a petulant child. If you don't know WHAT they are upset about, correcting the issue is difficult and frustrating.

I don't appreciate being called a petuland child. Perhaps you should keep your comments to yourself until you have more information. They are not showing deference. They are doing the job they are well paid for. And yes, we did slip a $20 to them on the first day. We took VERY good care of all the people who treated us well. I absolutely communicated with the concierge that I was looking for iced tea. The first two days were renamed by my daughter and I as "the great iced tea search". There was another guest in the concierge lounge who was also an ice tea drinker. So, there was at least one other guest in a high paying suite who was looking for the same things.

I truly don't appreciate paying significant dollars for what RCI assures me will be a "suite experience" only to be told by the conciege that I could go to deck 5 or deck 15 to get my iced tea. If you have even one guest with lounge priveledges who requests ice tea, it should be there. If you're going to send me on a wild goose chase, at least send me to the right place. The service in the CL was awful. I'm not going to go into any more details because you'll just make excuses why is was ok for them to behave this way, or I'm just acting like a "silver spoon" person. The reason why RCI has declined so much is because people like some of those on this board just accept the less than stellar service. Whey should you expect someone to get you champagne glasses just because you're in a suite. Well kiddos, the reason why is because you're in a suite, and that's their job! Simple as that!

We finally arranged to have a pitcher of iced tea delivered every morning from room service. This was not ideal, since I was hoping not to be on a strict schedule during vacation. They wanted to bring it as the same time every day. In the end, at least I had my iced tea every morning.

There were MANY things that happened during the week, including being directly lied to by employees and other completely terrible service. Not worth being picked about by some here. I say you are welcome to RCI. After the first couple days when I realized that service was not going to be acceptable, I spent the rest of the week thinking about how I could have been sitting in my favorite cabana at the Four Seasons in Maui, had awesome food and service, great tasting drinks and would have come home with some money left over.

Funniest thing regarding the iced tea... I managed to avoid Windjammer the whole week. I'm NOT a buffet fan at all. Have you seen how some people leave a public bathroom stall. I don't want to touch the ladle they just touched. On the last morning, they didn't deliver iced tea. I was on deck 17, so I made my way up to Windjammer to try to get some tea. They don't actually have it out, as they only have juice and ice water. I asked the gentleman behind the counter if he had any iced tea. He whipped out a jug of brown colored liquid and poured some into the ice water. The was the RCI version of iced tea. I thought it tasted awful all week, but was better than nothing. I immediately put it down on a table and ran from the room. I can't believe I drank that swill all week. YUCK!!

We did meet some lovely people on baord. You can all call me all kinds of names, and say awful things. There are real people on the opposite end of your nasty comments. You should really think before you type...

My iced tea Oasis story...

DW and I were having dinner at Chops. I ordered a cocktail, DW asked for iced tea. The waiter said they didn't have any made yet (we were among the first seated that night), but he went elsewhere (Rising Tide bar maybe? Don't know) and brought some back.

Oh, and we weren't in a suite.

I don't appreciate being called a petuland child. Perhaps you should keep your comments to yourself until you have more information. ...

It really didn't seem like you were inclined to provide more information even though some of us have asked you to so we could see if the expense would be worth it, or not, to us. When you do come back you only provide one example (iced tea) and state that there were many more issues.

Since you obviously don't want to provide a good overview of what the problems were I will now stop asking. Sorry you had an unacceptable experience. Vacations, for me anyway, are too few and far between. A poor experience would be upsetting to me also.

OP--thanks for coming back and clarifying more of the problems.

I guess, for me, I would never have thought of the concierge as being at all responsible for finding and ringing me a drink that is not normally offered in a bar (everything else served in the lounge is) and is not normally even available at breakfast time on the ship. I actually like iced tea in the morning, but just go without on vacation (even when in a concierge level suite).

So, for me, personally, your experience does not sound like what I would qualify as bad service (the specific examples you were willing to give anyway), which means if there is a good enough deal that my pocket book finds attractive ($9000 is not it for me, sad to say we are not in that bracket), I will happily book a suite without worries about bad service.

Archived