HAL's BEER CONFISCATION

blignop

I've been able to carry a six pack of beer on board from various Alaska ports a few times with no problem.

Having said that, I realize the HAL rules and would not be at all bothered if I were stopped in any future attempt. I totally agree with Ruth on this one :).

I realize the rules and have just considered myself lucky...so far :).

I see absolutely no reason why I should be upset if that were to happen. It's part of accepting the rules of the game.........

We have cruised on HAL for 12 years.

On returning to the Ryndam recently my wife had ONE beer confiscated.

They must be getting desperate.

I'm with you on this one. Seems very petty and cheapens the experience.

I enjoyed being able to bring a beer or two in my backpack on the Ryndam last year in Europe. They were very fair about it and I never brought back more than a couple.

This isn't about smuggling on some lousy cheap beer, but trying new brews from various ports not sold on the ship.

Something the wine lovers are also upset about!

As a 5 Star Mariner (well over the 500 days needed for this level) -- I have seen many tables set-up at the gangway and a crew member there labeling alcohol that was brought onto the ships.

This March it certainly was going on when we returned from a day in port in Mexico. They took our tequila and returned it the morning we disembarked, or the night before. I can't remember now.

Edited by nana51

If you try to bring alcohol (liquor, beer, or wine over the limit) you WILL get caught. Maybe not today, or in the past, but maybe tomorrow or at some point. Save yourself the embarrassment. :o Buy your beer onboard.

In over 20 cruises, never been caught. Usually bring a case onboard at embarkation and more at the ports. And if they do eventually take it, no big deal. I still came out way ahead.

Until January 31, it is permitted to bring all the wine you want. You weren't 'caught' because you weren't breaking a rule. :) (Assuming by case, you mean case of wine, not beer.)

Until Feburary 1.........

Edited by sail7seas

:) In over 20 HAL cruises, only once did I have a bottle of beer confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. I don't like beer, I LOVE it! Just like the wine people I look for a nice local brew to take with me. sometimes I take them home once in a while I have it on the balcony. I find thouh that the only time they seem to be taken is when shoreside people not HaL staff are monitoring the xray machine.

Totally get the concern on the beer - there is just one difference between the wine concern and the beer concern. The wine was legal and permitted. The beer never was. That being said, I have seen one bottle/can permitted but really whether you get it on the last night or take it that night - it's only on bottle:confused: So, if it's a souvenir you are taking it home anyways, and if you want to drink it - you can on the last night. I'm probably missing the boat here - I often do.

OK - to sum up, many say it's always been the rule although no proof is offered by anyone at all

Others including me think they're getting more restrictive and inconsistent

The company's theory must be that it will boost the bottom line - as a shareholder I doubt it

The crew were indeed most pleasant, and I sensed embarrassed about the crackdown on a bottle of beer

My wife got her beer back on the last day and drank it on board. It was an Amstel. I don't drink beer.

I wonder what HAL gained

OK - to sum up, many say it's always been the rule although no proof is offered by anyone at all

Others including me think they're getting more restrictive and inconsistent

The company's theory must be that it will boost the bottom line - as a shareholder I doubt it

The crew were indeed most pleasant, and I sensed embarrassed about the crackdown on a bottle of beer

My wife got her beer back on the last day and drank it on board. It was an Amstel. I don't drink beer.

I wonder what HAL gained

What proof do you need? Our word isn't good enough? Beer hasn't been allowed for years. I've been sailing HAL for a number of years and the rules have been the same for a long time. I can't tell you the year they changed but I can say that it's been a very LONG time. :D As you say, your DH got to drink her beer on the last night so no big deal (at least, it wouldn't be for me) - so, did this ruin your cruise.

How about sharing how your total cruise was? don't let one bottle of beer ruin the wonderful memories that I am sure you got:D

You haven't received much of a warm welcome to Cruise Critic, welcome aboard!!:D

I am sorry your wife had her beer confiscated at the gangway, HAL is becoming more and more restrictive with the beverages you are allowed to bring aboard. I believe, they believe that it will strengthen the bottom line. . . . .

All it has done here on CC is create a backlash of Titanic proportion.....:eek: ;)

Not supporting nor condemning just pointing out the OP is a 4 Star mariner and has been a member since: Join Date: Jul 2009

Joanie

Others including me think they're getting more restrictive and inconsistent.

We've sailed HAL for 11 years, and although I can't "prove" it, the rule has always been only wine/champagne as long as I remember.

However, in the past the gangway guardians have been more prone to close one eye for someone bringing aboard local/craft beer not sold on board. Amstel is sold on board.

You say "just one can", but if one, then why not one per person, then two, then ... ??

Edited by jtl513

I was told that wine is acceptable to carry on.....we are sailing in November...

Thanks!

Got off the Ryndam on the 7th of September. On our cruise we purchased a bottle of wine in nearly every port (Croatia, Montenegro, Greece) - quite nice to try the local grapes. The security people were a bit overzealous in my opinion (more so than on previous HAL cruises) ... they would ask if the bottle they saw on their monitor was wine or liquor, yet they would still remove the bottle from whatever packaging it was in and pass it over to the lonely barman for inspection. If the bottle was a "banned" adult beverage the barman would quickly tag and expropriate it.

Not supporting nor condemning just pointing out the OP is a 4 Star mariner and has been a member since: Join Date: Jul 2009

Joanie

I noticed that this was his or her sixth post......sometimes folks finally get up the nerve to chime in here on the boards to have the exuberance of this group hit them like a Mack truck....... ;) :eek:

In over 20 cruises, never been caught. Usually bring a case onboard at embarkation and more at the ports. And if they do eventually take it, no big deal. I still came out way ahead.

You can do as you wish.

Personally, I would not want to be embarrassed in that way. If it doesn't bother you, then go ahead and make yourself happy......

I noticed that this was his or her sixth post......sometimes folks finally get up the nerve to chime in here on the boards to have the exuberance of this group hit them like a Mack truck....... ;) :eek:

Exactly. It looks like an awful lot of people have jumped in to say the same thing, over and over. I'm sure the OP gets the message. Welcoming lot, aren't we?:rolleyes:

It's against the rules, plain and simple or are the rules only for others?

I agree. Some folks are convinced that the rules are indeed "only for other people". They don't believe in following rules/regulations. They feel they are "entitled" to do as they please and answer to no one. I see it on the highway all the time.......some folks obey the traffic laws, and others thumb their noses at them and do as they please, even if it puts their (and others) lives in jeopardy. I don't see the smuggling of alcohol as "life threatening", but the principle behind the mindset is the same.........

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing