LOST LUGGAGE ** Please help!!!**

Mel&Ken

I read many years ago not to leave souvenirs in luggage and that the luggage crew take souvenirs to resell. Not saying this is the case.

I read last night about another couple (can't remember the place or the post) could not find 5 of their bags when they disembarked. It turned out that the bags turned up 3-4 hours later on the ship. They had never been off-loaded. A good possibility that the same thing happened to yours since there are 2 missing.

That is a good question!!! I think their idea of help and ours are very different. They have started a report and are "actively looking" for our bags. I have a commitment from Flower at Celebrity that she will call be by Wednesday with an update.

Today Rome Cabs was very helpful. They called the airport for us and were told that they would never accept bags that were not with someone - any bags not claimed off a transfer are sent back with the bus. They then called the port and there are no bags left over from our ship or in the lost bags areas.

It sounds like our best hope now is that they are still on the reflection! If anyone is on there now feel free to ask around. :p

To be honest I feel like Celebrity isn't being helpful. I was genuinely shocked that the response was fill out this claim form and we'll call you if we find it. My waiter was more upset when my steak was over done then they were about my bags! Yes I have a claim and a report but no contact what so ever. Its hard - do I spend my days here in the apartment on the phone trying to track it down and call people or do I trust them to do it as I think they should? I am still in shock that they can be lost just going from the 9th deck to the pier.

Rome Cabs basically called everyone I would call - I will call Celebrity again tomorrow for an update. Trouble now, we had planned to buy a third suitcase in Rome for all the extra weight and we're kind of in limbo until late tomorrow just in case. We'll also check the lost and found at FCO when we fly out Monday just in case.

We had a bag missing in the luggage area on our last Celebrity cruise that ended in Civitavecchia. And we had a driver waiting to take us to the airport for an early flight. We, and the port staff, looked everywhere. Every aisle etc. So then we had to fill out a lost luggage report. So just as we were resigned to never see that piece of luggage again, a porter found it outside near where the buses park. We suspect an earlier passenger grabbed our bag by mistake (even though it had lots of special tags and markings on it) and just dumped it outside when they realized the mistake. We were lucky. But the port staff assured us that they do eventually find most misplaced bags. So yours may show up.

Mel&Ken I hope you are reunited with your cases/souvenirs soon, I would hate to finish my holiday on such a sour note (even more so if I started it that way:eek:). I hope this is a case they have simply been missed rather than anything more sinister but surely being 'missed' should not happen with the well practiced/slick operations of the cruise lines:confused:

I too would be disappointed Celebrity are not doing more but maybe they are behind the scenes?

We are on the Reflection next week & I appreciate that 99.9% of the bags are probably with their rightful owners however this incident has pushed our thinking to keep our cases & self disembark.

FG:)

Sadly I am taking comfort in how many people have been missing luggage at disembarkment only to have it found later on. Everyone from the port staff to our driver said this NEVER happens!

Agree that Celebrity may be working hard to find it for us and I hope they do. How this situation turns out and is handled will for sure impact future cruise decisions. I completely understand making mistakes - to me its how you handle the resolution that counts.

As for self disembark...this is our 3rd cruise. Twice we put our bags out, once we took them ourselves. So for porter service we're at a 50% success rate!

I have to say I have never liked putting my bags out the night before. By the time you keep out toiletries, electronics, valuables, souvenirs (apparently) and whatever else - you might as well have 2 cases. And then there are people who have designer clothes or jeans that themselves are worth hundreds of dollars. It just felt weird to me each time to just walk away from our luggage and leave it sitting in a hall way with who knows walking by.

Not sure what we'll do next. Plan better for sure! When flying we pack half our stuff in each bag, ID in and out etc. We know all the tricks. For this we weren't even careful as we knew it was only going a few feet to a trunk and then to our apartment. Wrong!

Right now FG I'd say keep your bags with you at all times - but we all know I am bias on that advice!

Again, I am very sorry that this has happened to you and that your stay in beautiful Rome has been tainted. Hurray for Rome Cabs! We use them each and every visit, but they have gone above and beyond for you! :)

When you get a chance, could you please tell me more about your apartment? How did you find it, location, and do you like it? We stayed in one in Paris and have decided it is the thing to do next time we visit a foreign country. ;)

Do hope it turns up, a real bummer and no mistake. I once had bags go missing on a flight from London to Manchester, they turned up three days later.

Did have a funny experience in Rome airport though. All our bags have security tags with a free phone number on them, securely attached with leather straps. We returned to Rome from a Celebrity cruise in 2009 and although our luggage was not mislaid, all three of our special security tags had been removed at the airport. We never did get any explanation for this???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sadly I am taking comfort in how many people have been missing luggage at disembarkment only to have it found later on. Everyone from the port staff to our driver said this NEVER happens!

Agree that Celebrity may be working hard to find it for us and I hope they do. How this situation turns out and is handled will for sure impact future cruise decisions. I completely understand making mistakes - to me its how you handle the resolution that counts.

As for self disembark...this is our 3rd cruise. Twice we put our bags out, once we took them ourselves. So for porter service we're at a 50% success rate!

I have to say I have never liked putting my bags out the night before. By the time you keep out toiletries, electronics, valuables, souvenirs (apparently) and whatever else - you might as well have 2 cases. And then there are people who have designer clothes or jeans that themselves are worth hundreds of dollars. It just felt weird to me each time to just walk away from our luggage and leave it sitting in a hall way with who knows walking by.

Not sure what we'll do next. Plan better for sure! When flying we pack half our stuff in each bag, ID in and out etc. We know all the tricks. For this we weren't even careful as we knew it was only going a few feet to a trunk and then to our apartment. Wrong!

Right now FG I'd say keep your bags with you at all times - but we all know I am bias on that advice!

Keep us posted please. I am so annoyed for you. I know mistakes can happen but to have no support from celebrity. Well that's just unacceptable to me. Try to enjoy the rest of your trip. Don't they have cameras that can show your bags beings picked up outside your cabin? Celebrity please step up and help!!!!!!

Iamthesea........we have booked our apartments through Sleep in Italy - this is our third one now. Once I am home and have more time I would be happy to share what units we had and our experiences.

iadom.....when I start to feel sorry for myself I think of how much worse it would have been had both our bags gone missing PRE cruise. I can't imagine. At least now we have all our toiletries, two outfits etc. I heard a woman on our cruise flew United from the states and her bag never reached her. She did the entire cruise without luggage. Crazy!

maggieq....thank you! I am annoyed too. Just seems so lax and so blasé the way its being handled. And its funny you should say that - one thing I considered is asking security to review any footage that night to see who picked up the bags etc. Not even sure that's possible although I do know there are many cameras in the outside areas - not sure what is inside. May not want to know!

Today is our last day in Rome and we fly out early tomorrow. I have left myself a terrible choice of travel clothes - either a silk tank and shorts or dress pants and a blouse. I may search for a t-shirt today just to be more cozy. I told Ken I should have one made that says "Celebrity lost my bags and all I have is this lousy t-shirt!".

I LOVE that you still have your sense of humor, many of us might not be able to hang on as well as you have. I hope you continue to update us on your luggage, we will be delighted to see it returned to you!

I may search for a t-shirt today just to be more cozy. I told Ken I should have one made that says "Celebrity lost my bags and all I have is this lousy t-shirt!".

I told Ken I should have one made that says "Celebrity lost my bags and all I have is this lousy t-shirt!".

On our second cruise Carnival lost our garment bag with our dressy clothes in them. We were pretty sure it was on the ship somewhere but they took little interest in helping us find it.

So formal night comes along and I asked them if they would provide a coat and tie for DH. They said his khakis and polo shirt would be o.k. This was back when you wore a coat and tie for every evening meal and he had gotten "stink eyes" showing up under dressed. I told them if they didn't provide something, then I would pin a sign on his back saying "I'm not tacky, Carnival lost my luggage." They provided a blazer, dress shirt, tie and slacks for him.

Garment bag showed up with our luggage on disembarkation with two forms of ID on it.

Tucker in Texas

Lost luggage is a nightmare as we experienced this year when our 2 suitcases failed to make it on board our cruise, this is despite the fact that we hadn't even flown to the ship - it was only an hour drive from our home to the port:confused:

For the first 24 hours guest relations kept insisting our bags must be on board "somewhere" simply because they looked back at the quayside and there were no bags left behind.:eek:

It was Day 9 before we were reunited and 3 months on no one has provided an explanation of how this happened.

I do hope you get your bags soon Mel&Ken

Do hope your bags turn up soon, we have just returned from a similar trip on the Silhouette and getting our luggage off the ship became a problem for us as we had an early morning flight. Now I realize it was a blessing to have to arrange for our bags to be take to the dock. Do try and enjoy Rome it is an amazing city . Fellow Canadians

Iamthesea........we have booked our apartments through Sleep in Italy - this is our third one now. Once I am home and have more time I would be happy to share what units we had and our experiences.

Today is our last day in Rome and we fly out early tomorrow. I have left myself a terrible choice of travel clothes - either a silk tank and shorts or dress pants and a blouse. I may search for a t-shirt today just to be more cozy. I told Ken I should have one made that says "Celebrity lost my bags and all I have is this lousy t-shirt!".

I'd either buy something new (how about some Italian designer jeans), or wear the dress pants and blouse, or silk tank. Buy a sweatshirt instead of T unless you also have a sweater to put on. Shorts can get very uncomfortable on a long haul.

We used Sleep in Italy as well to book a 2bd/2ba apt in Rome pre cruise for the 4 of us . It was a great location, one block from Trevi Fountain and it had a wonderful, tiny cafe just outside our door! The company is very easy to deal with.

I look forward to hearing more on Sleep in Italy. :)

Just a quick update as we fly out early tomorrow so I will likely be off line until Tuesday...

No luggage as of yet. We will stop by the lost and found when we get to FCO tomorrow just in case but otherwise it will be a call to Celebrity as soon as we're home.

Thanks again for all the kind words, support and suggestions - I knew I was reaching out to the right group when I needed help!

Will keep you posted! Ciao!!!

I don't recall a warning to leave our luggage in the hallway at our own risk. Maybe there should be? I'm really bummed for you Melissa. I told our Rome Cabs driver this morning about what happened to you. He asked the name of your driver but of course I didn't know. It's just a shame that your cab company is more helpful and concerned than Celebrity!

By the way I have some extra wine and olive oil stoppers from Sorrento you can have if your luggage doesn't show up. But I hope hope hope it does!!