Explore 4 Use in Dining Room

SFO Peter

We are non-alcoholic drinkers about to book a cruise which has the Explore 4 promotion. The question is whether we can use the Explore 4 to order a liter bottle of Evian water with each dinner in the dining room. This is our norm since we take some water back to our room. This would make Explore 4 a little more acceptable to us.

Thanks for any replies.

Yes, you should be able to.

This is a new program and it will be touch and go to begin with but you have a reasonable expectation a $4 bottle of evian should be served to you in MDR under your Explore4 Program.

I should think it would be covered, then. I'll go and check the fine print and get back to you!

I had a look and it said it includes "sodas". Do you think Evian counts as a soda?

Where are you sailing? I think Caribbean cruises just get a $50 card.....

I should think it would be covered, then. I'll go and check the fine print and get back to you!

I had a look and it said it includes "sodas". Do you think Evian counts as a soda?

Where are you sailing? I think Caribbean cruises just get a $50 card.....

Order Pellilgrino with gas and tell them 'it's carbonated - it's soda'. :D

I seriously doubt they are going to argue the issue over a bottle of water that costs under $7.

You know, I don't think I would book a cruise at the Explore4 pricing if I didn't drink.

With only water, pop, mocktails, coffee I can't see how it could be worth it.

It definitely isn't worth it for us.

I order wine by the glass at Ocean Bar (and other lounges) and the one I order costs more than $7 per glass so isn't included in Explore4. DH's drink of choice costs more than $7 so his cocktails also are not included. It's a waste of money for us. Same for my after dinner drink...... it's over their meager $7 limit. They analyzed very carefully how few drinks will qualify and the list is limited.

It definitely isn't worth it for us.

I order wine by the glass at Ocean Bar (and other lounges) and the one I order costs more than $7 per glass so isn't included in Explore4. DH's drink of choice costs more than $7 so his cocktails also are not included. It's a waste of money for us. Same for my after dinner drink...... it's over their meager $7 limit. They analyzed very carefully how few drinks will qualify and the list is limited.

Exactly.

So, can you book an "Explore4"- included cruise, without it and pay the "regular" pricing?

It is a 30 day Collectors Greek Isle and Black Sea cruise and the price for the category we want dropped significantly(?). Also the ports are new to us. I know we will not get our moneys worth in drinks but the itinerary is good and the ship has a following.

Thanks to all those who replied.

Exactly.

So, can you book an "Explore4"- included cruise, without it and pay the "regular" pricing?

Very good question and I suspect the answer is No.

Explore4 will be a money maker, in all probability, for them and we will know it when they extend the program beyond the limited number of months they are now offering it.

Very good question and I suspect the answer is No.

Explore4 will be a money maker, in all probability, for them and we will know it when they extend the program beyond the limited number of months they are now offering it.

So you're saying the whole cruise is explore4 and not just some of the bookings on a given cruise?

So you're saying the whole cruise is explore4 and not just some of the bookings on a given cruise?

I think there is a list of cruises that are eligible for explore4, but, that said, someone on our roll call said they got a good sale price, and then asked their TA if they could include the explore4 promo, and were told they couldn't unless they rebooked at the full (higher) price.

On page 6 of this forum, there's a thread called "Holland America to Introduce a New Promotion called Explore4" - Post #36 has a list of all the cruises eligible. I don't know how to make a link to it.

We are non-alcoholic drinkers about to book a cruise which has the Explore 4 promotion. The question is whether we can use the Explore 4 to order a liter bottle of Evian water with each dinner in the dining room. This is our norm since we take some water back to our room. This would make Explore 4 a little more acceptable to us.

Thanks for any replies.

I think you two should be fine:D You're not heading back on the P'dam are you Peter????:D Wondering if we will be fortunate enough again to have your company if you are happening to do the same one us :D Sounds very similar

I think you two should be fine:D You're not heading back on the P'dam are you Peter????:D Wondering if we will be fortunate enough again to have your company if you are happening to do the same one us :D Sounds very similar

Hi Jacqui we will be on your cruise. Hope you or Jose learn to play ping pong by then. We are also on a 30 day Dec 16 Hawaii/Tahiti cruise but after I booked it I noticed the Greece/Black sea cruise and thought I should have booked your cruise instead! Have not yet figured out the logistics but we do not like to fly to and from Europe so we will probably cruise to Barcelona from Ft Lauderdale then take PDam then cruise back to Ft Lauderdale from Barcelona. Somewhere in there we will spend some time in Spain and Greece. No rush we are retired. We hesitated because of the Explore 4 (extra cost?) but the Fishy site alerted me today to the price drop we can live with as non-drinkers. Now that we are committed I will check out the Roll Call.

Peter

Peter

I think there is a list of cruises that are eligible for explore4, but, that said, someone on our roll call said they got a good sale price, and then asked their TA if they could include the explore4 promo, and were told they couldn't unless they rebooked at the full (higher) price.

On page 6 of this forum, there's a thread called "Holland America to Introduce a New Promotion called Explore4" - Post #36 has a list of all the cruises eligible. I don't know how to make a link to it.

Link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1885453

From HAL's Site:

Terms & Conditions

**Explore4 includes a free specialty restaurant dinner plus either a Signature Beverage Package OR a $50 Beverage Card. Offers are per person based on promo ZX, double occupancy, for 1st and 2nd guests sharing a stateroom and excludes 3rd/4th guests, except as provided herein. Offers are applicable on select 2013 December Holiday and 2014 departures. Not combinable with Shipboard Credit offers. Free Signature Beverage Package is not available on Caribbean and Mexico cruises—or on the land portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys. Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages priced $7.00 or lower. Signature Beverage Package excludes beverages priced over $7.00 and purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable. Participants may order only one drink at a time, must be 21 years or older and agree not to give alcoholic drinks to minors. No sharing is permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the Signature Beverage Package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per person per day, including service charges. Free $50 Beverage Card applies only to select Caribbean and Mexico sailings. The Beverage Card may be used to purchase beverages or other eligible items at payment terminals aboard the ship. No balance may be carried on the Beverage Card after the end of the cruise. Unused portion of card will not be refunded at the end of the cruise. This card cannot be redeemed for cash and is not replaceable if lost or stolen. Free specialty restaurant dinner: Guests who purchase an Interior stateroom will receive one complimentary Canaletto dinner per person; guests who purchase Ocean-view Obstructed category staterooms and above will receive one complimentary Pinnacle Grill dinner per person. Specialty restaurant offer is not transferable or refundable. Reservations and dining times will be assigned and a confirmation card for specialty restaurant dining will be placed in your stateroom upon embarkation day. Offer excludes Specialty Dining Events in the Pinnacle Grill such as Le Cirque, De Librije, Master Chef’s Table and Sommelier Dinner. Reduced deposit offer is valid for new bookings only. A deposit is required at the time of booking and final payment is due no later than 75 days prior to departure for Alaska, Caribbean, Canada & New England, Europe (excluding ms Maasdam, ms Prinsendam and ms Veendam), Mexico, Panama Canal, and 14- to 18-day Hawaii voyages. Final payment is due 90 days prior to departure for all other voyages. Bookings made on voyages requiring immediate final payment are not eligible for a reduced deposit. 3rd/4th offer based on sharing a stateroom with 1st and 2nd guests, are valid on select sailings, and are based on Promo Z3. 3rd/4th child offer applicable to ages 17 and under. Government Fees & Taxes apply to all 3rd/4th offers. Subject to availability. For more information about our stateroom categories and suite descriptions, to view deck plans and for full terms and conditions applicable to your cruise, please refer to hollandamerica.com or the appropriate Holland America brochure. Offers are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands

No, I am not saying that and I don't know that to be the case.

I actually think not everyone on every cruise where Explore4 is available for some that all will have it. I think there will be some guests using that program and some not, on the same cruise.

Hi Jacqui we will be on your cruise. Hope you or Jose learn to play ping pong by then. We are also on a 30 day Dec 16 Hawaii/Tahiti cruise but after I booked it I noticed the Greece/Black sea cruise and thought I should have booked your cruise instead! Have not yet figured out the logistics but we do not like to fly to and from Europe so we will probably cruise to Barcelona from Ft Lauderdale then take PDam then cruise back to Ft Lauderdale from Barcelona. Somewhere in there we will spend some time in Spain and Greece. No rush we are retired. We hesitated because of the Explore 4 (extra cost?) but the Fishy site alerted me today to the price drop we can live with as non-drinkers. Now that we are committed I will check out the Roll Call.

Peter

Peter

awesome Peter - I used to play ping pong years ago - might just give it a shot next time! There are two roll calls - one for each segment. Looking forward to having you join us and cruising with you again:D Sounds like you have a very nice trip planned:D

I'm also wondering if we could use the Explore 4 $50 beverage card to purchase a bottle of liquor from a bar for in stateroom consumption. The 'rules' state "eligible" purchases, so don't know if full bottles would be included.

I have sent this question to HAL, but not sure if they will know the answer either.

Archived