LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

i have no problem sailing any ship and each one will have a room that i will be perfectly fine with. I truly do hope with all this negative publicity that they will be heavily discounting fares at last minute to fill up since all of cruise critic does not plan to sale on the royal. I really do prefer inexpensive cruises with barely any people. Please folks never ever book on the royal or regal so i can have the ship all to my self for next to nothing.

:d :) :d

The Elite-Platinum cocktail hour was a disappointment as it felt to me like a cafeteria table was set up at the stage of a high school auditorium, not to mention any place with "vista" as part of the name should have; oh, I don't know...a vista or some windows or some kind of view! I really missed Skywalkers and as a result only went twice. Ken

Completely agree that Vista Lounge is a misnomer. There are no vistas of the sea, only shaded window coverings which is also the case on the Promenade Deck - it gives it a claustrophobic feel, I guess to hide the lifeboats?:( Not having a Skywalkers was a big deal for us, too. There is no comperable venue on the ship, i.e. airconditioned space with spectacular views of the ocean.

Pia regarding your comment on knowing about the lack of promenade deck and central staircase:

When I booked my cruise on the Royal, early spring 2012, the deck plans included a promenade deck as well as a central staircase. (They actually are there, just not useable) I never went back to "check" if anything was added or subtracted from the original artists renditions. Since I have cruised Princess exclusively for the past 15 years, I had no reason to check anything. I love Princess, her ships, her crew. So when I sailed her on July 5th,second grand Med. sailing, I was one of those disappointed with many of the minuses on the Royal. I felt my $6000 fare was not lived up to. After all, Princess marketed this new ship as the cruise ship to end all cruise ships. Yes, her atrium is beautiful..a six star hotel lobby! The expected classic, elegant Princess signature design. After that, it fell flat, for me. I expected the whole package from princess, not just a larger atrium. When I cruise I use the whole ship..minus the sanctuary. So for me, this ship was a royal disappointment.

I posted a review on CC (first time) when I got home to give a heads up to other cruisers who, like me, expected certain standards from Princess. Wow, I didn't realize you were not allowed to post anything negative. (basher??) I was told if I wanted to walk around the promenade deck, I should use the treadmills in the gym..really??

If cruising once a year is all the vacation one has, I thought giving a heads up to cruisers who have specific likes and dislikes a great idea. If I had know about Royal's actual "new" design, perhaps I would have booked another ship. Lesson learned..never book a new cruise ship without concrete deck plans. BTW, I had a great vacation. I just felt I didn't get my hard earned monies worth!

In all fairness Brandee, you not knowing what the ship looked like before boarding was entirely your fault. I booked the first day too, yet I followed along with most people and knew exactly what to expect. You had more than a year before final payment to cancel, had you not liked the ships layout.

Brandee, I didn't tell you to use the treadmill in the gym. I said I would ,or use the deck up top instead of the Promenade. For me it is all about exercise. Don't care about others, my opinion.

I never even addressed my post to you. Weird. WE are all entitled to our opinions.

Edited by san diego sue

Brandee, I didn't tell you to use the treadmill in the gym. I said I would ,or use the deck up top instead of the Promenade. For me it is all about exercise. Don't care about others, my opinion.

I never even addressed my post to you. Weird. WE are all entitled to our opinions.

Hi..I wasn't talking about your post...I understood your comment. I was quoting a post to me way back in the beginning of September or end of August.

Edited by BRANDEE
add

Question to those of you who are still on the ship or just got off the ship. What exactly happened at Princess Cays? Were you able to make it to the island? I thought I read somewhere there was in issue with the tenders. Could someone please elaborate? I know the itinary has been changed for the cruise the royal is on now because of weather. Do you think it might have something to do with princess cays as well?

thanks

In all fairness Brandee, you not knowing what the ship looked like before boarding was entirely your fault. I booked the first day too, yet I followed along with most people and knew exactly what to expect. You had more than a year before final payment to cancel, had you not liked the ships layout.

I did say in my post..Lesson learned, do not book a new cruise ship without concrete deck plans!

After I paid Princess my non refundable deposit on this cruise based on artist renderings and digital sketches I only checked occasionally to see if she was still on time for sailing. I boarded the Royal about 16 days after her inauguration ...guess I should have been double checking Princess' promise of the most royal ship afloat. (How do you know something is missing if no one was there to experience it? Isn't that why CC is important..to inform? That's why I originally posted.) Anyway, she's a pretty lady, but not for me.

Question to those of you who are still on the ship or just got off the ship. What exactly happened at Princess Cays? Were you able to make it to the island? I thought I read somewhere there was in issue with the tenders. Could someone please elaborate? I know the itinary has been changed for the cruise the royal is on now because of weather. Do you think it might have something to do with princess cays as well?

thanks

Tina, first looking forward to seeing you again on Sunday. Second there is another Live Post for the people on the ship now, you might want to repost this on that sight. Here is a post from someone about the tenders at Princess Cay http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1936140&page=13 See you Sunday

I did say in my post..Lesson learned, do not book a new cruise ship without concrete deck plans!

After I paid Princess my non refundable deposit on this cruise based on artist renderings and digital sketches I only checked occasionally to see if she was still on time for sailing. I boarded the Royal about 16 days after her inauguration ...guess I should have been double checking Princess' promise of the most royal ship afloat. (How do you know something is missing if no one was there to experience it? Isn't that why CC is important..to inform? That's why I originally posted.) Anyway, she's a pretty lady, but not for me.

Hi Brandee.. I hope you had seen the Thread that I had created in April about the Royal Princess having "No Central Staircase Is A Royal Pain".. It had over 10,000 views and over 300 posts, providing everyone (booked and not-yet-booked passengers) a heads-up as to the situation - the potential problems and undesirable frustrations it would cause.. There was very good information as to what potentially would arise without these staircases in place (throngs of people waiting for these central elevators, perpetually full elevators, excessively long waits, high frustration levels leading to rude passengers, etc) - all of which ultimately did materialize.. Once the reports and reviews came in from those first passengers sailing the ship, the lack of a Central Staircase was virtually always mentioned as a point of contention.

One very positive aspect coming out of that thread - was the discussion and information suggesting, given the lack of this Central Staircase, the very best locations to book a cabin (ie, NOT in the center of the ship, in this case).

- Rick

While I certainly agree that a lack of center stairways is a significant design flaw my Royal experience on the TA was not any different with the elevators than on other Princess ships. Just like on other ships when it was busy there were crowded elevators but we only missed a couple of elevators. Our Dolphin deck midship cabin was a few steps from the elevators & we never had a long wait...no more than other ships.

This was just our experience but wanted to share it to show that not everyone was horrified by the elevator situation. I mostly use stairs for 2 reasons: exercise & to keep the elevators for those with mobility issues. There was a rumor that the Regal would finish the already there midship stairways for passenger use & to retrofit the Royal but it is merely a rumor at this time.

I considered any future bookings near the aft elevators but doubt if we'd do it. My wife prefers midship stability & just like other ships the aft elevators were packed particularly when those with TD were going to dinner. Even mobile people took the elevator for a few floors just like those who use the elevators for one floor in the atrium.

I sailed RCI's Navigator OTS earlier this year which only had fore & aft elevators/stairways & nothing midship. So the Royal was actually better than the Navigator & on both ships we simply adjusted to the different designs.

Hi Brandee.. I hope you had seen the Thread that I had created in April about the Royal Princess having "No Central Staircase Is A Royal Pain".. It had over 10,000 views and over 300 posts, providing everyone (booked and not-yet-booked passengers) a heads-up as to the situation - the potential problems and undesirable frustrations it would cause.. There was very good information as to what potentially would arise without these staircases in place (throngs of people waiting for these central elevators, perpetually full elevators, excessively long waits, high frustration levels leading to rude passengers, etc) - all of which ultimately did materialize.. Once the reports and reviews came in from those first passengers sailing the ship, the lack of a Central Staircase was virtually always mentioned as a point of contention.

One very positive aspect coming out of that thread - was the discussion and information suggesting, given the lack of this Central Staircase, the very best locations to book a cabin (ie, NOT in the center of the ship, in this case).

- Rick

Hi Rick..Wish I did see your post about the Royal in April. I always use Trip Advisor when I book travel, but honestly, I had never used Cruise Critic until I came home from my July 5th Royal cruise. I have cruised over 20 years, (15 with Princess) ,usually I quickly find a review about the ship or cruise line and then book, wait and cruise. I will keep posted from now on!

Your review was after my final payment, (I booked March 2012) and I had a pre cruise and post cruise (30 days in all) signed and sealed. Of course, my cabin was directly in the middle of the ship on the Riviera deck because I love to walk the stairs..ha ha!! As far as safety, actually having the staircase behind unlocked doors was okay with me..just had to leave extra time to get from here to there. So if I couldn't walk the stairs for exercise, I'd walk the promenade, double ha, ha! I did use the track up on 17 and the treadmills in the gym. Due to a medical condition, I need a cardio session each day.

In the end, it was all the things I found missing on this ship that disappointed me. I'll keep checking cc about future cruises so I won't be surprised again. However, sailing a "newbie" is over for me. Glad I did it..but what was I thinking! When the chocolate melted off the strawberries because I had no air in my cabin, I had a day of panic, but all worked out in the end.

Hopefully, Princess doesn't design all their new ships like the Royal..back to the grand class for me.

I sailed RCI's Navigator OTS earlier this year which only had fore & aft elevators/stairways & nothing midship. So the Royal was actually better than the Navigator & on both ships we simply adjusted to the different designs.

Navigator OTS has 6 forward elevators and 8 aft elevators, a total of 14.

The Royal also has 14 elevators, but for 446 more lower berth passengers.

thanks

Just came back from the Maiden 5-day & Princess Cay was great! We were tendered in & I found nothing negative about that.

Navigator OTS has 6 forward elevators and 8 aft elevators, a total of 14.

The Royal also has 14 elevators, but for 446 more lower berth passengers.

To me there was no noticeable difference in accessing either ships' elevators. Even if there was a noticeable difference the Royal offered me much more of what I desire in a cruise than on the Navigator OTS.

I still found more positives than negatives on the Royal in comparison to other Princess ships & it's understandable that others will feel differently. I don't have a 'horse in this race' so it doesn't matter to me where others decide to cruise & merely sharing my experiences.

Just came back from the Maiden 5-day & Princess Cay was great! We were tendered in & I found nothing negative about that.

Isn't this always a tender port? I've only been twice now (Ruby and Royal) and both times it was a tender port.

I can't speak to how well tender ops went because we didn't get off the ship.

- Rick

I honestly don't believe the lack of the central staircase was the main culprit, because as I have posted previously, the worlds largest ships, The Oasis and the Allure do not have a center staircase nor central elevators. There are no problems going up/down on the only 2 sets they have, forward and aft. The real problem on the Royal is the fact that the elevator call buttons are not synced, hence they do not work together, thus causing unnecessary stops slowing down the whole operation. Hopefully as Pescado Amarillo, their 10 year old twins will board the ship and reprogram them soon. LETS HOPE!!!

I was on the Royal TA and noticed something interesting in the elevator and heard of something awful about an elevator.

Interesting.......a fellow held the close door button and the elevator passed every floor. Bad boy????

Awful??? someone called to hold the elevator for someone sight imparted and a guy in the back actually said, "I'm elite.....shut the door.". Can you even begin to believe that???? A word comes to mind, but Cruise Critic might object.

I had a great time on the Royal....loved the crew. Is the ship disfunctual...........for sure. won't do the Caribbean, but the TA was great. Just my humble opinion. Alice

Someone asked me about the balcony cabin(s) beneath the bridge. I took a couple of photos:

DSC02480.JPG

DSC02481.JPG

Here are photos of my standard balcony cabin. It was very adequate and I think it was about the same size as my balcony cabins on the Crown and Diamond earlier this year.

DSC01676.JPG

DSC01670.JPG

The closet/dressing area is a bit smaller as the bathroom wall is angled. The wardrobe shelving is much narrower, just one "pile" wide:

DSC01680.JPG

Here's a photo of the desk area and the outlets. The one on the left was close to the bed.

DSC01673.JPG

The bathroom set-up. Note the position of the toilet roll holder. :)

DSC01684.JPG

The larger shower. Note that the shower curtain was very long.

DSC01685.JPG

The shower head:

DSC01686.JPG