17 days Circle of Hawaii vs Caribbean for 2015

Thebes

Hello CC fellas,

Good Friday to all of you,

I like to take a quick survey with those who have done both destination ( circle of hawaii and Caribbean) and if they get a chance to do it again, Which one to go back to and why ?

We live on the west coast and we like to travel to a warm place during the winter months and we're trying to decide a booking for Jan/Feb 2015. We are doing a 14 days east/west Caribbean in Feb 2014. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Hello CC fellas,

Good Friday to all of you,

I like to take a quick survey with those who have done both destination ( circle of hawaii and Caribbean) and if they get a chance to do it again, Which one to go back to and why ?

We live on the west coast and we like to travel to a warm place during the winter months and we're trying to decide a booking for Jan/Feb 2015. We are doing a 14 days east/west Caribbean in Feb 2014. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Both are equally great... if price is equal then we turn to whether or not we need more sea days ...it that is the case we do the la round trip to Hawaii .. or if we want more beach days we do Caribbean itineraries and make sure st maarten and Aruba are included.

This is just my opinion, of course, but living on the west coast I prefer Hawaii. No cross-country flight, but also I don't care for the humidity we had in the Caribbean.

As others have said, you have to like sea days to like the Hawaii cruise. So it's really up to you and what you prefer. :)

We live on the west coast and really appreciate not having to fly to Florida for a Caribbean cruise. On our Caribbean cruise last December, we were appalled at the number of mega ships in each port. It seemed like we could literally lean over and shake hands with passengers in the huge ships right across from us. That said, we definitely prefer Hawaii where it seems more private and quiet (which we like!). We also like the relaxing sea days going over and sailing back.

Even though I live in New England, I would much prefer to book a Hawaii cruise vs. Caribbean. The many sea days over and back give a good rest before and after the hectic port days. But those ports offer so much in comparison to the Caribbean! Worth it to me, even though I hate the flight back from the west coast.

Even though I live in New England, I would much prefer to book a Hawaii cruise vs. Caribbean. The many sea days over and back give a good rest before and after the hectic port days. But those ports offer so much in comparison to the Caribbean! Worth it to me, even though I hate the flight back from the west coast.

Is there true "scenic cruising" around the islands? (Hawaii) I've been eyeing that trip but can't this year. I still get a lot more vacation than DH.....

Is there true "scenic cruising" around the islands? (Hawaii) I've been eyeing that trip but can't this year. I still get a lot more vacation than DH.....

There has been on my trips there, but I understand the route through the islands may be changed now.

The scenic cruising in Kauai, especially where the "Jurassic Park" mountains rise from the sea, was especially pretty. We also sailed past the red-hot lava pouring into the sea in darkness. Gorgeous! It was more than scenic cruising, there was the strong odor of sulfur, too.

Sea days over and back are views of the sea only, of course.

Since its a ship intensive itinerary , then I better think what kind of ship on this itinerary. Found out its the V- Dam. We're booked on the E-Dam this feb for carribean so how does the V-dam stack against the E-Dam ? I guess the SPA is not as good and there is no retreat cabana. How do you like each of these ships RuthC ?

Since its a ship intensive itinerary , then I better think what kind of ship on this itinerary. Found out its the V- Dam. We're booked on the E-Dam this feb for carribean so how does the V-dam stack against the E-Dam ? I guess the SPA is not as good and there is no retreat cabana. How do you like each of these ships RuthC ?

By "V-dam" may I presume you are referring to the Veendam? There's a Volendam, too, but that ship should be doing NZ/OZ itineraries.

Even now, I prefer the Veendam over the E-dam, because it's smaller. I don't care for the large Vista/Signature ships at all.

I spent 20 happy days on the Veendam this past January, and would be pleased to sail her again.

That said, the aft pool was removed from the Veendam, and replaced (now) with Retreat 2.0, which is awful on this route. The entire Lido aft is overwhelmed by the huge mass in the center, which blocks any view. It would be lovely to sit out there---and was in earlier incarnations of the Lido aft---for those relaxing days at sea.

Not any more. The Veendam is now my least favorite of the S-class ships.

But she's still better than the big ships. There is more room to spread out. There is not as much competition for tables in the Lido. The Showroom at Sea is lovely, with excellent performances by the cast.

No contest.

We will not cruise Hawaii, however, we cruise Caribbean again and again and again. :)

Too many sea days, to my taste, and too few ports on Hawaii cruises with good chance even ports scheduled can be cancelled.

With all the many cruises we have taken to Hawaii I don't recall a Hawaiian port ever being cancelled.

That said, we would take Hawaii anytime over the Caribbean. We find the Caribbean usually to port intensive and we are exhausted at the end of the cruise.

The sea days up and back allow plenty of time for rest and relaxation that we love. Of course, in the end it is up to you.

The Circle Hawaii no longer does the scenic cruising of the Na Pali coastline that it used to. They don't always do the scenic viewing of the volcano but sometimes they do and how and why that decision is made is beyond me. As they will do it on one cruise and not on the next one.

By "V-dam" may I presume you are referring to the Veendam? There's a Volendam, too, but that ship should be doing NZ/OZ itineraries.

Even now, I prefer the Veendam over the E-dam, because it's smaller. I don't care for the large Vista/Signature ships at all.

I spent 20 happy days on the Veendam this past January, and would be pleased to sail her again.

That said, the aft pool was removed from the Veendam, and replaced (now) with Retreat 2.0, which is awful on this route. The entire Lido aft is overwhelmed by the huge mass in the center, which blocks any view. It would be lovely to sit out there---and was in earlier incarnations of the Lido aft---for those relaxing days at sea.

Not any more. The Veendam is now my least favorite of the S-class ships.

But she's still better than the big ships. There is more room to spread out. There is not as much competition for tables in the Lido. The Showroom at Sea is lovely, with excellent performances by the cast.

Am also considering this cruise for 2015. Anyone have any pics of the "mess" that Ruth describes would really appreciate it. Round trips out of CA to Hawaii are becoming limited and Princess is only in the islands for 4 days.

Anyone have any pics of the "mess" that Ruth describes would really appreciate it.

The word I typed was "mass", not "mess".

There is a huge raised area filling most of the Lido aft deck. That raised area has four hot tubs, and some lounging space up there. The raised area blocks the expansive view that the aft decks on other ships provide.

If you're looking for warm all the way, Florida to the Caribbean might be better. Going to and from California, you can expect cool weather for days before (and after) Hawaii.

Think about your patience for consecutive sea days. Round trip to Hawaii has a long stretch of sea days followed by intense port days and then more sea days. The Caribbean would have a bit more mix.

The word I typed was "mass", not "mess".

There is a huge raised area filling most of the Lido aft deck. That raised area has four hot tubs, and some lounging space up there. The raised area blocks the expansive view that the aft decks on other ships provide.

Sorry about the misquote and thanks for the description. It DOES sound like a mess.;)

With all the many cruises we have taken to Hawaii I don't recall a Hawaiian port ever being cancelled.

That said, we would take Hawaii anytime over the Caribbean. We find the Caribbean usually to port intensive and we are exhausted at the end of the cruise.

The sea days up and back allow plenty of time for rest and relaxation that we love. Of course, in the end it is up to you.

<snip>

Seems to me I've read of Hilo being cancelled on some cruises.

Back in 2006, my Zaandam cruise pretty much missed Kona. We were anchored when there was an earthquake centered about 10 miles away.

The anchor transmitted the energy straight up the chain to the ship; we shook like no ship I had ever felt before. I didn't know what was happening, of course, but truly believed the ship was breaking apart, as I held on for dear life.

Now technically, I suppose we didn't miss Kona, as a couple of tenders had dropped passengers ashore. They were quickly recalled, and we beat a hasty retreat out of there.

I remember the earthquake Ruth, and the tee shirts that were on sail the following week when we stopped there. And two years ago we almost missed Honolulu due to a Tsunami in Japan.

I was thinking back and we did miss one port in 2003 because the ship had to rescue a small boat and we missed Molokai and that was the last time ships stopped there.

Archived