2nd Solo Cruise - I'm ADDICTED

cynt

I went on a first date with a guy recently and he asked if he could join me on my upcoming cruise! I vehemently said "no." I am looking forward to cruising solo:D and I decided there was not going to be a second date because of his personality or lack thereof!

• 2 months later...
LOL!! I AM planning the family cruise and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to tell everyone I'm getting my own cabin. We're a tight sibling group of 7 w/ a slew of kids and I'm one of the aunties w/out kids so the extras go in my room normally on family vacations. LOL! No big deal in a hotel room but a cruise cabin - NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!

LOL!!! This sounds SOOOOOO like me! No kids but I get the extras. haha!

Just signed up for my 2nd solo cruise. The first one was amazing! Met up with great group from CC and had company for dinner, shows and excursions if I wanted. Unfortunately for this next cruise there is very little activity on the roll call. This has me kind of worried. Especially for dinner it was nice to know there was someone I could meet up with for the dining room.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Just signed up for my 2nd solo cruise. The first one was amazing! Met up with great group from CC and had company for dinner, shows and excursions if I wanted. Unfortunately for this next cruise there is very little activity on the roll call. This has me kind of worried. Especially for dinner it was nice to know there was someone I could meet up with for the dining room.

Keeping my fingers crossed

You'll be fine. Ask to sit at a large table in hopes of meeting some great people. My last cruise I had the best tablemates ever - young, old, middle aged, diverse, men and women. We had an absolute blast!! By the end of the week I had a new dad, uncle, 3 sisters and a lil' brother. I really need to write a trip report on my February cruise on the Sunshine. OMG it was hilarious!!

Go out and participate in the games, trivia and activities on board. This is when I meet the most people. I also scope out the scene when I'm looking for my spot for the day. I usually try and sit close to a group celebrating something - birthday, divorce, vacation, girl's getaway, reunion, we left the husbands at home, etc. This is usually a lively group and one more person adds a lil' spice to the group. LOL! And they invite you to whatever they're doing. If it's a large group you usually have options because not everyone is going to do the same thing.

Happy cruising!!

O, my "friend" wants to go on a cruise for Christmas. He's paying so I might have to share my next cabin. LOL!! I christened him on his 1st cruise on the Liberty and he's been dying to go back and would rather pay for me to go than his 20 something year old 2 kids. LOL!! Not happy about sharing a cabin but thrilled to be getting a cruise on him!:D

You'll be fine. Ask to sit at a large table in hopes of meeting some great people. My last cruise I had the best tablemates ever - young, old, middle aged, diverse, men and women. We had an absolute blast!! By the end of the week I had a new dad, uncle, 3 sisters and a lil' brother. I really need to write a trip report on my February cruise on the Sunshine. OMG it was hilarious!!

Go out and participate in the games, trivia and activities on board. This is when I meet the most people. I also scope out the scene when I'm looking for my spot for the day. I usually try and sit close to a group celebrating something - birthday, divorce, vacation, girl's getaway, reunion, we left the husbands at home, etc. This is usually a lively group and one more person adds a lil' spice to the group. LOL! And they invite you to whatever they're doing. If it's a large group you usually have options because not everyone is going to do the same thing.

Happy cruising!!

O, my "friend" wants to go on a cruise for Christmas. He's paying so I might have to share my next cabin. LOL!! I christened him on his 1st cruise on the Liberty and he's been dying to go back and would rather pay for me to go than his 20 something year old 2 kids. LOL!! Not happy about sharing a cabin but thrilled to be getting a cruise on him!:D

Thanks so much for your tips! Now it is finding the courage to put on my big girl panties and do it. Love your festive energy!!

MAJOR congrats to you and a "free" cruise. By the tone of your response there is no doubt in my mind you will be more fun than the children. :p

Thanks so much for your tips! Now it is finding the courage to put on my big girl panties and do it. Love your festive energy!!

MAJOR congrats to you and a "free" cruise. By the tone of your response there is no doubt in my mind you will be more fun than the children. :p

Thanks Eskiemom! We'ver narrowed it down to 3 ships Epic, Dream or Allure. He's never been on the Allure and is dying to go but I think we might go the more economical route. I'm trying to talk him into the Epic. It will be a new experience for both us on a Norwegian ship.

Thanks Eskiemom! We'ver narrowed it down to 3 ships Epic, Dream or Allure. He's never been on the Allure and is dying to go but I think we might go the more economical route. I'm trying to talk him into the Epic. It will be a new experience for both us on a Norwegian ship.

Friends of mine switched from Princess to Norwegian and they are never coming back. They get TONS of perks because they have traveled with them so often and get the blah blah blah suite with the blah blah blah butler and on board credits like crazy. Maybe you and your buddy will get a freebee or two!

Could you sense my tinge of jealousy there?

• 1 month later...

I have been on CC for a while now and had no idea there was this group (lol). So glad to have found it as I have returned from my first solo cruise. I have been cruising since the 1970's but have always shared a cabin. I was on a girls cruise in April and had to get my own cabin because the other two ladies didn't want to share. They are a mother and daughter and felt that there wouldn't be enough room. I am used to cruising in either suites or balconies so when I had to get an inside cabin (because of the cost) I was not so sure of how I would like it. At first we both had inside cabins next to each other but they got to upgrade to a balcony right across the way from me. I have to say that I totally enjoyed having my own cabin and being in an inside one was not that bad. I did miss having a window to see outside but really no biggie. But I have to say that I loved having the cabin all to myself and now don't know if I could share again with a friend. Of course I would share with a boyfriend or husband but don't know about friends. Well maybe if it was a suite then that would be fine.

My same friends are going on the Allure on 11/2 with a group of people and I am watching the prices daily. The price for that cruise has flucuated from a high of $2500 to around $1800. I am hoping that once final payment is due that the price will go down. If it doesn't then I might take a cruise from Galveston and go by myself.

Before I got married I used to cruise twice a year as I had a good friend that loved to cruise. That was 16 years ago and now I am getting divorced so I am going to try to start cruising again twice a year. I find that it is the best vacation in the world and I just have to get enough courage to go all by myself. Hopefully by reading all of your posts will give me that courage.

I have been on CC for a while now and had no idea there was this group (lol). So glad to have found it as I have returned from my first solo cruise. I have been cruising since the 1970's but have always shared a cabin. I was on a girls cruise in April and had to get my own cabin because the other two ladies didn't want to share. They are a mother and daughter and felt that there wouldn't be enough room. I am used to cruising in either suites or balconies so when I had to get an inside cabin (because of the cost) I was not so sure of how I would like it. At first we both had inside cabins next to each other but they got to upgrade to a balcony right across the way from me. I have to say that I totally enjoyed having my own cabin and being in an inside one was not that bad. I did miss having a window to see outside but really no biggie. But I have to say that I loved having the cabin all to myself and now don't know if I could share again with a friend. Of course I would share with a boyfriend or husband but don't know about friends. Well maybe if it was a suite then that would be fine.

My same friends are going on the Allure on 11/2 with a group of people and I am watching the prices daily. The price for that cruise has flucuated from a high of $2500 to around $1800. I am hoping that once final payment is due that the price will go down. If it doesn't then I might take a cruise from Galveston and go by myself.

Before I got married I used to cruise twice a year as I had a good friend that loved to cruise. That was 16 years ago and now I am getting divorced so I am going to try to start cruising again twice a year. I find that it is the best vacation in the world and I just have to get enough courage to go all by myself. Hopefully by reading all of your posts will give me that courage.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Check the roll call and find a cruise w/ a lively Roll Call group. You can talk to them via CC and they will be like old friends once you set sail.

SOLO CABINS ARE SOOO ADDICTING!!!

FYI...The "friend" still wants to cruise Christmas. We think we're going to drive to NOLA or Houston/Galveston. Christmas airfare to FLL/MIA is crazy stupid!

Edited by cynt

• 3 months later...
Just noticing my 9/15 Vision sailing inside cabins are starting to go down; anyone interested in joining the sailing? 5 day to Roatan and Cozumel. I happen to be on deck 8 aft.

Vision had some economical sailings this fall... correction...some DEEPLY DISCOUNTED EXTREME BARGAINS!!! I considered booking on Vision, but ultimately chose Allure because this was my 1 chance to have a full week off, and wanted the world's biggest. LOL.

The prices on Vision were so fabulous that they were almost suspect. Royal NEVER goes that low, except for Majesty out of Miami, which is an old boat and basically a weekender. So I wondered if there was some kind of defect on Vision? A sewage leak, or severe understaffing, or bad entertainment...? Why such a cheap per-night rate?

Vision was great! The ship seemed staff and friendly enough, but I didn't do dinners in the MDR. The bartender issued seemed resolved but I was on a 5 night! The ship is in great shape! I had a coveted deck 8 corner wrapped balcony! I must say you knew when the ship was docking! She did start with a vibration but by the end of the cruise it seemed gone to me except for docking! For me the AC seemed okay but no air movement. The Captain was awesome and so was Steve Davis and Marvin!

If I went again it would have to be in 1 of those very coveted wrapped balcony! I really did enjoy the ship! I have not been on anything bigger than BrIlliance/Radiance class until next March and I will be on Liberty. I think the Radiance class is going to be my favorite.

Cozumel

fb7e9bd48b0a9d93c7f9eee72279c8d0.jpg

Sea Day

981886a6be074fbe732e7683b04cb2f3.jpg

8709a12d6ddf68e54ab943ae36cf0cf5.jpg

Roatan

a064a31cc775913833370ff841a11549.jpg

Okay, I think I will try Vision next time. I'm ready for a small ship again, and it seems the price is too good to ignore.

Edited to add: oh, it looks like Vision switches in 2 wks from the 5-day itinerary to 7 days instead, for the winter... won't work for me. I'll have to try it next year though.

Edited by styxfire

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be sailing Jan 30th 2015 on my second solo trip. I loved the first one so much I have another one booked for my birthday in April, and am looking into 2 more after that for this year. Here's hoping they come to be a reality.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm ready for my 4th SOLO cruise aboard the Anthem of the Seas - 30 days and counting. My last two cruises I had a roommate - BF and then BFF. It was cool but I'm so ready to have the cabin to myself. LOL!!!

I'm a witness, cruising Solo is the greatest thing ever!!!!

I just booked my 1st Solo cruise on the EPIC. I've thought about it for well over a year and decided "Yes! Just do it." I'm so excited!!!!

I've just come back from my 1st Solo cruise on Epic and LOVED it :D The Epic is great for entertainment.

On embarkation day I joined in the NCL ship tour which was a nice way to chat to people, and also we had a CC Meet & Mingle arranged for the 1st day. I did go to the Solo meeting on the 1st two nights, but then found it was too early and I was busy doing other things, so never made it there again. But I know they organised group dinners, or a group visit to the Ice Bar for people if they wanted it.

I met a few people to hang around with and we ended up going to Bliss (nightclub) late every night. Now I'm not usually a nightclub person but was up until 4 in the morning some days! As you got to see the same people most nights I felt I could easily get up and dance on my own if I wanted to.

I will definitely be booking to go by myself again.

Have fun :)

I'm ready for my 4th SOLO cruise aboard the Anthem of the Seas - 30 days and counting. My last two cruises I had a roommate - BF and then BFF. It was cool but I'm so ready to have the cabin to myself. LOL!!!

I'm a witness, cruising Solo is the greatest thing ever!!!!

I just put a deposit on an inside solo cabin for Anthem of the Seas for next Sept. Hope you'll write a review so I'll know any tips and tricks! :)

Travelling solo on Regal Princess, next month (November). This is my 2nd solo cruise. When I did my first solo, I tried to get various friends to join, but with short notice, they all had other plans made. So rather reluctantly and yet with a brave face (because I just HAD TO GET AWAY FROM OUR SNOW STORMS), I went on the cruise alone. I loved it. I was 'on time' for everything I wanted to get to. Even on formal evenings I was able to get dressed in less than 15 mins. Not sharing the bathroom and the cabin was wonderful. I had signed up for fixed dinning with 3 other couples. They were a great group and I never did feel unwelcome. In fact we would meet for a drink before we all (7 of us) went for dinner and the entertainment. I'm hoping I meet a great group on this cruise next month.

Nice to have found this group. I will be taking my fourth solo cruise in March 2016 on Celebrity Equinox, for a blissful 10 days. My late DH and I cruised once or twice a year. I started solo cruising after his death. I have also cruised with best friends and with my SO. The SO likes to cruise occasionally- meaning every 2-3 years. I used to feel guilty leaving him home, but I got over that. I tell him what cruise I am considering and see if he wants to go. If not, I book a solo trip. I book well in advance to take advantage of the early booking rates and to get a good cabin location. I get to know folks in the Celebrity Diamond/Diamond +lounge. In Aqua, for dinner, I generally end up in a conversation with folks seated at the table next to me. Sometimes, I see a flash of envy (usually on the part of the wife) when I talk about cruising solo. Now that I am retired and we are moving to North Florida, I see the opportunity to take advantage of last minute deals out of Orlando. The single rate is often 150% instead of the normal 200%. The thing I most want to do is a solo TA. I am trying to decide whether to do an eastbound one or a westbound one.

The idea of transatlantic seems a little daunting to me, not because of going solo but just the general idea of being really truly trapped in the middle of ocean with no alternative but to ride the ride.

However, looking at it from a solo perspective, I theorize that it may actually be easier to meet people on a TA vs on a port-intensive cruise. Here's why: couples who have a new port to see every day can get enough variety just from external stimulation... seeing new sites together, taking photos of themselves in landmarks, trying new foods or languages every with each other every single day. BUT couples on a transAtlantic have pretty much done everything possible on the ship, together, for several days, and by Day 3 or 4 are probably hankerin' for some apart-time. Stuck in the middle of the ocean, people are probably a little more inclined to seek other pals to hang with temporarily besides their spouse.

Qm2 TA DEC 15th and Jan 3rd currently have no single SUPPS on some insides and balconies. Here in the UK insides are £699 balconies £729, including one way airfare, fees and taxes etc

I'm booked on the 15th dec southampton to New York, it will be my very first crossing, solo, can't wait

Scarlet