2nd Solo Cruise - I'm ADDICTED

cynt

I would love to do a TA. I lack the vacation days. :D I have 21 years and 8 months before retirement. YES I'M COUNTING! Don't judge. ;) I plan to cruise frequently and often. My master plan, a TA from the states to a different country. Stay their for a few months and then TA back to the states. RINSE AND REPEAT!

18 days until I board the Anthem. She arrived to Cape Liberty yesterday. She's cruising to no where the next few days entertaining travel agents and pinnacle members. Hope they enjoy her.

The idea of transatlantic seems a little daunting to me, not because of going solo but just the general idea of being really truly trapped in the middle of ocean with no alternative but to ride the ride.

However, looking at it from a solo perspective, I theorize that it may actually be easier to meet people on a TA vs on a port-intensive cruise. Here's why: couples who have a new port to see every day can get enough variety just from external stimulation... seeing new sites together, taking photos of themselves in landmarks, trying new foods or languages every with each other every single day. BUT couples on a transAtlantic have pretty much done everything possible on the ship, together, for several days, and by Day 3 or 4 are probably hankerin' for some apart-time. Stuck in the middle of the ocean, people are probably a little more inclined to seek other pals to hang with temporarily besides their spouse.

Sounds like you looking for swingers cruises LOL

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there! I'm looking at booking a solo cruise next fall... I scored some really cheap airfare to Europe and I have three weeks to kill, so I'm looking at a Baltic cruise. But I'm nervous about solo cruising. I've cruised with groups before and loved it, but I'm worried about going it alone. I think dinners will be the hardest - I'm sure I'll be busy enough during the day :) Would you recommend it?

Once cruising alone you won't want to cruise with others again and all the drama that goes along with a group! Dinners are easy - I do traditional and look forward to meeting up with my dinner partners and the conversations that develop. If you really feel that you won't click after the first night - ask for a new table. A single person can always be fitted in at another table.

........ The thing I most want to do is a solo TA. I am trying to decide whether to do an eastbound one or a westbound one.

I prefer going westbound because you set the clocks back several times but going east you set them forward (losing sleep!) several times.:rolleyes:

Nancy

I prefer going westbound because you set the clocks back several times but going east you set them forward (losing sleep!) several times.:rolleyes:

Nancy

Agreed. I'm doing an east-bound next spring, though, because the fall ones are all during times I have work commitments.

Have been traveling solo for several years now. Found that if you wait for other people you will never go anywhere. I do travel with friends sometimes but still usually get my own cabin. Have gotten so I would rather be in an inside by myself them have to share a balcony with someone else. Like to stay up late reading & sleep in. Really enjoy not having to make anyone happy but myself.

Retired now so I go 4-5 times a year. I like to go for at least 10 days & typically take 1 transatlantic every year. They are a great bargain. Never had a problem meeting people & always join the CC Roll Call for the cruise. Great for hooking up for shore excursions, sharing cabs etc. I have a solo cruise coming up in mid on The Regal Princess & a 16 day transatlantic in April on Celebrity Reflection. Will be taking the TA, which ends in Rome with my sister. Then we will spend 3 days in Rome before coming home.

Have done anytime dining but most lines do not do a very good job so I have started going back to fixed time dining. Usually get a large table so at least a couple of people I enjoy. Often the only single person at the table but have never felt awkward. I also like to try the specialty restaurants. I probably feel comfortable dining alone as I traveled many years for business so is no big deal. The single supplement is a killer but I am at a fairly high level with most of the mass market lines so I do get discounts & nice perks on all of them. I don't pay 200% all the time. I usually travel on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess or Holland. Have traveled on others but those are the best for my own personal style. I usually book an inside to start out with but usually able to switch to a balcony as prices usually drop a lot after final payment. About 80% of the time I am able to do this for a few hundred dollars more. If not, I am OK with the inside.

If you are not sure a solo cruise is for you try a short one first. The one thing to be aware of is shorter cruises tend to attract the younger party crowd. If this is not your style try Celebrity or Princess. If it is, try Carnival or Norwegian. They often offer shorter cruises on some of their older ships. Also, don't pick the cruise just for price. If the cruise is more expensive book it early & pay it off over time. Not all cruises are equal. Each line has it's own ambiance & itinerary & food is important. As to the TAs - I have done both east & westbound. I like leaving from the US & flying back from Europe. These cruises are in the Spring & the weather is usually better. I always try to spend a couple of days in the European port of debarkation before I fly home. If it I your first TA a cruise that starts or ends in Barcelona is probably easier than Rome. I am just not fond of the Rome airport & it is over an hour from where the ships dock in Civitavecchia.

Hope this info has help. Go for it - you won't be sorry!

Going on my 3rd solo cruise later this week and my 4th next year, still have to plan my 5th trip for the year after - yes, I'm getting addicted to cruising.[emoji4] I find cruising easy to deal with the 3P's - paying, planning, packing - to the point; why didn't I do this sooner?[emoji3]

I too, have the problem of waiting on others to the point of why bother going now when it past the date of when we originally suppose to go. AND when I do go with friends/family, compromising plans to places/things I rather not go, stay and/or do plus being attached to the hip for days with no "me/alone time" to relax. But solo traveling on a cruise - just research the ship/line for its amenities, pay the fare/tips along with buying shore excursions or not. That's it - just relax and enjoy, do the stuff I want to do that doesn't break my wallet, read a book and/or watch a movie or show, not having to sharing a room or the bathroom, eating when I want to eat and where - just total bliss.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

As to the TAs - I have done both east & westbound. I like leaving from the US & flying back from Europe. These cruises are in the Spring & the weather is usually better. I always try to spend a couple of days in the European port of debarkation before I fly home. If it I your first TA a cruise that starts or ends in Barcelona is probably easier than Rome. I am just not fond of the Rome airport & it is over an hour from where the ships dock in Civitavecchia.

!

Koko1, what's your opinion of a cruise leaving Oct 2 from Northern Europe, sailing around France & Italy, disembark in Barcelona...? I'm concerned that it will be too cold (by October). I'm accustomed to cruising in the heat of the Caribbean.

4 wks earlier, a couple cruises do the same itinerary, but on much older/smaller ships. Am trying to weigh the unpleasantness of cold weather (on a new large ship) vs unpleasantness of boredom or lesser service on the old ships. ??? Any thoughts?

Just returned home from my 40something solo cruise;).....had a great

time.....now it is on to my first River Cruise:D.....and yes, that one is

solo too. Going to Amsterdam in the spring for a "TULIP TIME" cruise.

Thanks to all of you for giving lots of info about solo cruising. I am thinking about this for the first time for next year after many years of holidaying as a couple. It seems such a big step, so will keep reading and try to pluck up the courage:)

STILL HOOKED ON SOLO CRUISING! I just returned from the Anthem. Incredible ship. Still working out the kinks but this is my new favorite class. Give it a year and it will be running like a well oiled machine.

12 days till my second solo cruise (X Eclipse--not solo friendly pricing but I want to try out all the mass market lines).

I'm pretty jealous of the folks checking out Anthem, but I find figuring out NJ departure as a solo female to be daunting. I know Florida like the back of my hand and could rent a car and find my way to any of its cruise ports without a map; zero experience in NY/NJ and I'm still somewhat timid.

12 days till my second solo cruise (X Eclipse--not solo friendly pricing but I want to try out all the mass market lines).

I'm pretty jealous of the folks checking out Anthem, but I find figuring out NJ departure as a solo female to be daunting. I know Florida like the back of my hand and could rent a car and find my way to any of its cruise ports without a map; zero experience in NY/NJ and I'm still somewhat timid.

You'd be fine. Just fly to to Newark,get a hotel overnight, then shuttle or car service to port depending on where you stay. 9/8/16- meet me there!

You'd be fine. Just fly to to Newark,get a hotel overnight, then shuttle or car service to port depending on where you stay. 9/8/16- meet me there!

Ok, I'm bookmarking this. :) I'll revisit when I see if my dorky company is going to last another year and if RCL does any wave season promos. I've got a thing with the significant other lined up for Oct 2016, but we've determined my solo cruises are good for the 'ship. :)

Edit: oh wow, that itinerary looks neat. I'm not so much of a beachy person when it comes down to it, so I could really dig something like that.

Edited by perditax

Hi,:) I have sailed from NJ several times (solo female here too).......

You need to check out the East Coast Forum......there are some VERY

helpful threads over there with hotel/transportation threads.

I would never suggest renting a car up there but there are a few hotels

that offer a shuttle service that will pick you up at the airport and take

you to the hotel.