Move away from seating with 'strangers' in MDR

We were just on Oasis last week and had asked to be seated at a large table in hopes to meet some new people. We ended up at a table for just our family of 4. When I asked the head waiter about moving tables, he said they were moving away from seating people with 'strangers' unless they are solo cruisers, as most couples and individual families are usually asking to be seated separately. He even mentioned that with all the new ships, they are being designed to accommodate more and more tables of 2 and 4, or pushed together for groups of 5 or 6, and the larger tables (8-12 people) are usually only used by people who are cruising as a group of 8-12 people.

While I was dissapointed to not have tablemates, I feel that Royal should move towards having only MTD, given all the specialty restaurants that are also available. I know now for my next cruise to book MTD and not hope for tablemates. Or that I should try to find tablemates in my roll call and reserve to be seated with them.

That's interesting because we just sailed on the Freedom (13-20 Oct), and discovered that we were assigned a table for two. Contacted the DR personnel and we were seated at a table for eight. One of the best MDR experience ever. :)

Tony

We were just on Oasis last week and had asked to be seated at a large table in hopes to meet some new people. We ended up at a table for just our family of 4. When I asked the head waiter about moving tables, he said they were moving away from seating people with 'strangers' unless they are solo cruisers, as most couples and individual families are usually asking to be seated separately. He even mentioned that with all the new ships, they are being designed to accommodate more and more tables of 2 and 4, or pushed together for groups of 5 or 6, and the larger tables (8-12 people) are usually only used by people who are cruising as a group of 8-12 people.

While I was dissapointed to not have tablemates, I feel that Royal should move towards having only MTD, given all the specialty restaurants that are also available. I know now for my next cruise to book MTD and not hope for tablemates. Or that I should try to find tablemates in my roll call and reserve to be seated with them.

Forgive me, since I forgot your names, but the twins were adorable! I would have loved to sit with you at dinner!

I do agree though, that Oasis and Allure should probably move all their dining areas to MTD since there are so many Specialty Restaurants and many people just don't show up to the table for dinner.

It was a pleasure playing Trivia with you! :D:D

I think MTD for the largest ships, like Oasis and Allure, makes sense since they have many dining options. On our favorite ship, Explorer, there are only 3 dining options, MDR, Johnny Rockets and Windjammer. Traditional dining is still a wonderful option. As a matter of fact, DH and I were seated at a table for 10 and had a great time with our table companions.

I was with a friend on Vision in the Spring, MTD, and we sat with a great group at a table for 12.

I'm guessing but it might be that the crowd that is attracted to the Oasis class ships (the majority, not all) are not traditional cruisers and might not be interested in sharing a table with strangers.

I agree with other posters, I have met some wonderful people sitting at a assigned tables or Carnival's new style of putting small tables close together where you can engage the people next to you or not.

Guest maddycat
I think MTD for the largest ships, like Oasis and Allure, makes sense since they have many dining options. On our favorite ship, Explorer, there are only 3 dining options, MDR, Johnny Rockets and Windjammer. Traditional dining is still a wonderful option. As a matter of fact, DH and I were seated at a table for 10 and had a great time with our table companions.

The Explorer also has Portifino.

Sorry but I like the idea of having more 2 tops or being able to adjust them by adding tables...makes more sense than so many huge tables..Loved how many 2 tops there were on our recent Oasis in the MTD area....You easily have a choice when arriving.. this is the first question they ask you...so your choice.

I'm glad more tables for two or four will be available, so it will be easier to get one. I don't dine with strangers in land-based restaurants and don't see the attraction of dining with strangers on a ship.

That said, I can see the benefit of having some tables for ten or twelve for big groups and for folks who do wish to meet others when they dine on a cruise ship.

Just on Radiance Alaska Cruise and every night would ask to be seated at a table with others MTD. Was with groups of 6 to 8 every night and had some new people every night as well as I met a couple that was at my table 3 nights. Fun to talk to others about their adventures of the day.

We always ask for an 8 top and have met many great people. In fact, one couple we met on our second cruise 7 years ago are still good friends. They've stayed with us on a trip to the US east coast (they're from BC) and we've cruised together and have another booked for 2015. It's always fun to meet new people. I'm really more introverted than extroverted but I am not shy and like to meet new people. I just don't want to be the center of attention or "life of the party". I find it easy to talk to almost anyone and I think separating people more will make it harder to connect with fellow travelers.

I second and third this... I've met great people and remember every conversation I've had with them sitting at a table of 6 or more. It's sad if that is in fact the case, it was part of the fun of cruising, meeting new people and sharing your experiences every night.

I would be very sad/disappointed if I couldn't be seated at a large table in the MDR. We are very social people, and really enjoy having tablemates.

I would also be disappointed if the entire ship was MTD with no traditional dining option. We do not eat in specialty restaurants, and we prefer a traditional dining experience. We've had bad luck the couple of times we tried MTD - long waiting time, slow and less attentive service, etc.

I LOVE having tablemates! Hubby and I have been married 40 + years....we enjoy talking to others!

I have to admit, on our 1st cruise, I was really nervous about tablemates, but it sure made dinner a special time...and we totally enjoyed it. So far, we haven't met anyone that we couldn't get along with....I've read the "horror" stories...and I think if you have multiple "bad tablemates", it's more you than the tablemate! (Sorry...but the common denominator seems to be the complainer!) We've had some that were "chattier" than others...some more subdued, some more gregarious....we've enjoyed them all!

Dinner is a social time...it SHOULD take more than 45 mins! Relax, chat, and enjoy!

My Time Dining. Royal's name for their non-traditional dining where you can eat in the main dining room whenever you want.

That's for us. We don't have to rush back from an activity or tour, just to be at dinner on time.

We've done Freestyle on NCL, and signed up for MTD on RCI.

To be nice, I will just say that he was not telling you the truth. Wife and I have been on the Oasis class three times and always request a large table, never been a problem.

I will agree with that. The last time I was on the Oasis, the tables seating 6 or more out numbered those that sat only 2 or 4 for traditional dining. Perhaps, in the area set aside for MTD, there are more tables for 2.

Our particular section was mostly 2s and 4s. I didn't actually see anywhere that they could have added us to at the 6 p.m. seating. I'll likely send a note to the dining email in advance next time to get seated at a larger table, or drag some friends/family along. I'll just hope other families with young kids are also looking for company.

On our previous 5 cruises we always had tablemates, including a few we are still in contact with, so I did miss having that.

I like that there are options for smaller tables as on my first 2 cruises 8 was the smallest table and some people were uncomfortable.

We did however have great conversations with our amazing waitstaff.

Forgive me, since I forgot your names, but the twins were adorable! I would have loved to sit with you at dinner!

I do agree though, that Oasis and Allure should probably move all their dining areas to MTD since there are so many Specialty Restaurants and many people just don't show up to the table for dinner.

It was a pleasure playing Trivia with you! :D:D

I would have liked to have sat with you at dinner too! It would make sense on oasis/allure to move to mtd. On ships with less options traditional dining likely works well, but specialty dining seems to be popping up a lot.

My Time Dining. Royal's name for their non-traditional dining where you can eat in the main dining room whenever you want.

MTD dinner hours are between 5:50pm & 9:30pm...so yes any time between those hours ;)