Move away from seating with 'strangers' in MDR

Just stepping out to say that I share your sentiments!! For me, I can't enjoy my meal while dining with strangers since I have to eat and at the same time keep a ear in on the conversation and make polite small talk.

On my first 2 cruises I didn't know we had the option of requesting a table for 2 so I endured an awkward first night with subsequent dinners in the buffet. Thanks to the wealth of information on CC i put in a request for a table for 2 on my last cruise and had wonderful dinners in the MDR with DBF

Our first few cruises we tried traditional dining on a large table. The first cruise the only people that showed up for a table for 8 was the two of us and a couple from Ireland. We had a great time with them but it seemed a waste to have just 4 people at a large table.

The next two attempts were evenings of strained conversation with groups of 6 to 8. We were paired up with people just like us, non conversationalist. :p I didn't blame any of our tablemates, we are terrible at maintaining a conversation for extended period too.

We now book MTD and are seated in the 2 person clusters of tables where we can converse with those around us a much (or as little) as the the participants are comfortable with. :)

Edited by PCWalton1

FWIW, I only point out zombie threads when someone digs up one from 2010 and starts remarking on the OP's choices about a cruise that has already been over for years. Reading the date and also skimming the last few posts are basic forum courtesy.

Assemble der forum police!

Didn't know asking a question was considered whining or a complaint. At the time I asked my question, there were multiple older threads that were bumped up. Feel free to put me on ignore if a simple question upsets you.

Oh, My, God! :eek: Have a bad day yesterday? Wow! I have no problem with you whatsoever or anything you post and never have. It was just an observation and totally not directed at you personally. In fact, even though we have never met, I have always considered you a "friend" here. Why would I want to ignore you? The same goes for Langley Cruisers who I quoted too! I hope I didnt upset her as well? :(

Im terribly sorry if I offended you or made you mad. Was not my intent at all!

Edited by ryano

Oh, My, God! :eek: Have a bad day yesterday? Wow! I have no problem with you whatsoever or anything you post and never have. It was just an observation and totally not directed at you personally. In fact, even though we have never met, I have always considered you a "friend" here. Why would I want to ignore you? The same goes for Langley Cruisers who I quoted too! I hope I didnt upset her as well? :(

Im terribly sorry if I offended you or made you mad. Was not my intent at all!

It's all good Ryan, no worries. I appreciate your post, hopefully, we will end up on the same cruise sometime and I will buy you a Lava Flow.:)

Sorry if this has been covered I only read three of the eight pages. Oasis is smart. They are getting ready for free internet. Just ate the other night at a local restaurant. It was so funny watching a table of twenty just using their smart phones. It was semi dark so it was quite a light show. Every once in a while someone would bring their phone to show the other something that they thought was interesting. Not a lot of talking going on.