Move away from seating with 'strangers' in MDR

If people start turning around from their tables to talk to me at my table... that's when I'll probably just start cracking up.

"Why hello there stranger at a different table! I'm Betsy from Wis-KAHN-sin. Would you like to check out my beauty of a dog? Her name is Cutie-Pooh. She's just the sweetest darn thing ever!"

"LOOK BECKY! IT'S SANTA CLAUS HOLDING A CHEESE LOG!"

Whoooooosh... out the door.

The tables for two on Freedom in MTD were right next to each other. I never turned around to anyone. In fact, the conversation was generated by a couple sitting beside us. I wasnt about to be rude and "start cracking up" or worse, ignore them. To each their own. :)

Edited by ryano

I would just like to thank all of my great cruising friends that I have met over the years from sitting at the bigger tables our agent put us in. I have loved all of your stories and yes some nites we closed the doors enjoying our coffee but without your wealth of experiences we may not have tried new places, new ships, or perhaps felt comfortable to try new things in strange countries to us on our own.

I would miss this....yes it is my vacation and I eat every day of the year with my family..sure is nice having guests at my dinner table with some fascinating stories .

Agreed.

Just off of the Serenade OTS with the new policy. Fortunately we were with another couple and ended up with a 4-top, even though we had requested a large table.

First, the dining room on deck 4 with lots of 2-tops and 4-tops was impossibly crowded. The tables were so close together, getting to your table was like running a difficult obstacle course. You frequently had to ask people to pull in their chairs in order to get by. :(

Second, why is RCI taking that decision away from me? I like to meet new people, even the snobs. I treat them like a amusement.

Third, What if you are stuck at a 4-top with all of those terrible people other posters were complaining about?

Fourth, I love my wife of 40 years, but the thought of spending 12 days staring at each other...

And, I have experienced 4 people on an 8-top.

All that said, I don't like the new policy.

If people start turning around from their tables to talk to me at my table... that's when I'll probably just start cracking up.

"Why hello there stranger at a different table! I'm Betsy from Wis-KAHN-sin. Would you like to check out my beauty of a dog? Her name is Cutie-Pooh. She's just the sweetest darn thing ever!"

"LOOK BECKY! IT'S SANTA CLAUS HOLDING A CHEESE LOG!"

Whoooooosh... out the door.

Hmmm . . too easy.

Edited by Travel R

Just off of the Serenade OTS with the new policy. Fortunately we were with another couple and ended up with a 4-top, even though we had requested a large table.

First, the dining room on deck 4 with lots of 2-tops and 4-tops was impossibly crowded. The tables were so close together, getting to your table was like running a difficult obstacle course. You frequently had to ask people to pull in their chairs in order to get by. :(

Second, why is RCI taking that decision away from me? I like to meet new people, even the snobs. I treat them like a amusement.

Third, What if you are stuck at a 4-top with all of those terrible people other posters were complaining about?

Fourth, I love my wife of 40 years, but the thought of spending 12 days staring at each other...

And, I have experienced 4 people on an 8-top.

All that said, I don't like the new policy.

Sorry to hear this, since we are going on the Serenade in about a week. I think a table of 6 is ideal. Especially how long it takes for them to serve the meal. 90 minutes of staring at the same people without much discussion is a bit of a challenge...

Since it seems like more people are doing the Windjammer for dinner now, why has RCCL not made an option on dining choices "Windjammer only" at reservation time? That would help reduce the number of tables left totally empty or partially full and might just lead to the ability to remove a few tables and improve spacing in the MDR. I already know that my party will be in the Windjammer for all dinners, so why reserve space for us that will just be empty all cruise?

To be clear, I am only speaking about those of us who KNOW they will not be using the MDR at all. For those who wish to keep the option open, having a dining time is fine.

Since it seems like more people are doing the Windjammer for dinner now, why has RCCL not made an option on dining choices "Windjammer only" at reservation time? That would help reduce the number of tables left totally empty or partially full and might just lead to the ability to remove a few tables and improve spacing in the MDR. I already know that my party will be in the Windjammer for all dinners, so why reserve space for us that will just be empty all cruise?

To be clear, I am only speaking about those of us who KNOW they will not be using the MDR at all. For those who wish to keep the option open, having a dining time is fine.

This is an awesome idea!

On our Explorer cruise in Dec 2011, are family of 4 was seated at a huge table for 12, right next to the captain's table. The other 8 people NEVER showed up, and it was kind of awkward to be alone on one side of the table (it was too large to spread out and still be able to speak with each other). We were told that they couldn't change the table size or seat other people there "just in case" the assigned 8 people decided to show up one of the nights.

On another last minute cruise, our preferred traditional dining was full. However, if the never-shows were able to opt-out, then there would have been openings to accommodate those of us who didn't clear the waiting list.

(PS does the RX in your screen name indicate that you are a pharmacist?)

Edited by DonnaK

While I was dissapointed to not have tablemates, I feel that Royal should move towards having only MTD,

I certainly hope they don't go exclusively to MTD. Tried it a couple of times HATED IT! We much prefer traditional late seating and sharing a table with others. The show times are geared towards the traditional seating times, and if you can't get a MTD time close to them, you miss the shows which we thoroughly enjoy seeing.

I don't know that that's true. I've never seen any numbers that show that more people are eating in the WJ. I think on CC, you see posts from people who cruise a lot who do eat there, but repeat cruisers aren't usually the majority. First time cruisers are much more likely to eat in the MDR.

We booked MTD so we could sit by ourselves which we did for dinner but when we tried the MDR for breakfast they insisted on seating us with other people so only did it the once. We prefer to be by ourselves anyway but at breakfast having to make conversation with strangers is not my idea of a relaxing holiday.
Same here, but on Splendour last week we were forced to change all our prebooked MTD reservations to the last possible time for MTD of 9 pm to get a table to ourselves despite selecting this option online on our booking and an earlier time. Made a mockery of MTD. Same experience at breakfast too, but we stuck to our guns and requested a table for 2 although we had to endure a very rude and curt gentleman manning the door of the MDR each day who did eventually ensure we had a table for 2. So the more tables for 2 gets my vote.

15 cruises and we prefer the MDR so no all those who prefer the MDR are newbies. We will probably have to do MTD or the Windjammer a couple of nights on our next cruise, simply because of a couple of excursions but we prefer same time, still prefer early dining. It started because we had small children, but even though the kids are now young adults, it works out better for us. As they kids have become adults, they have their own plans after dinner. I LOVE hearing what my Grandson enjoyed about the day, what he's excited about doing the next day, and not interfering with his night on the ship. He loves the MDR because the waiters know his likes and dislikes by night two, and he graciously humors us by joining us every night. He's crazy about history so this year, he will be seeing Pompeii on another Med cruise with the family.

I certainly hope they don't go exclusively to MTD. Tried it a couple of times HATED IT! We much prefer traditional late seating and sharing a table with others. The show times are geared towards the traditional seating times, and if you can't get a MTD time close to them, you miss the shows which we thoroughly enjoy seeing.

IF, and that is a big giant if, they ever went to all MTD... you would just make reservations for the traditional late dining time and be fine. Nothing would change.

The MDR wouldn't have lost its clocks or anything.

I did MTD on Allure in March,and did not like it - we had the same wait staff the whole week - I had hoped it would be a different table and wait person - she was good,not great, but there was no variety.

We were a group of 5, and ate there alone every night, but it is not just drop in time, you still have to book, and they rather pester you about what time do you want for each night - my idea of my time was to be able to come when we got ready. So much going on on the ship we did not want to miss. (grandma paid for 2 daughter & 2 gks, could not afford special dining too!!)

Probably same wait staff because of tipping. But if you are prepaid, do not see why it matters. Just take the next group in line to the next available table - like a restraunt.

I have been on 20 cruises, and have had some great table mates, and some duds.

Glad they are still putting singles (me in Feb on Voy.) at a group table, If they change that to putting me at a table for 2 alone. I will stop cruising RC.

Or what if there was some pretentious passengers who kept complaining about every little thing thus delaying your meal.

What if some people at your table had a cold you don't want to catch that if possible.

Both of these things have happened on cruises I have been on. The person with the cold was the worst. We didn't eat in the MDR for three nights because of it.

Our next cruise, DBF and I will be using MTD and requesting seats by ourselves.

I do enjoy meeting people, and I can handle the complaining, but I could not believe how sick this person was (even had a booger hanging down from his chin at one point!) and still came to dinner.

I'm guessing but it might be that the crowd that is attracted to the Oasis class ships (the majority, not all) are not traditional cruisers and might not be interested in sharing a table with strangers.

[/b]

I share this observation. I feel like a stick in the mud, but started cruising RC about 9 years ago, and fell in love with every aspect of "traditional" cruising - shared tables, formal nights, etc.

Now I feel like these are being threatened by those attracted to the novelties on the newest ships. On my one Oasis cruise (soon after launch) it was obvious that the majority of guests were in to the "freestyle" concept that NCL used to push - no shared tables, dress up, or much in the way of manners.

While I know that RC needs to market to where the demand is, its a shame that some traditions will be lost.

We were just on Oasis last week and had asked to be seated at a large table in hopes to meet some new people. We ended up at a table for just our family of 4. When I asked the head waiter about moving tables, he said they were moving away from seating people with 'strangers' unless they are solo cruisers, as most couples and individual families are usually asking to be seated separately. He even mentioned that with all the new ships, they are being designed to accommodate more and more tables of 2 and 4, or pushed together for groups of 5 or 6, and the larger tables (8-12 people) are usually only used by people who are cruising as a group of 8-12 people.

While I was dissapointed to not have tablemates, I feel that Royal should move towards having only MTD, given all the specialty restaurants that are also available. I know now for my next cruise to book MTD and not hope for tablemates. Or that I should try to find tablemates in my roll call and reserve to be seated with them.

I disagree with the comment about moving towards only having MTD and this is why. I loved the option of MTD, but it did not work for us. I am celiac and have several food allergies. When you have a set table & waitstaff, the week is seemless. I order the next night's dinner after I eat and have no issues. With MTD, it was a hassle. I would still order the next night's dinner, but when we would switch waitstaff, the new waiter had no idea and several times my husband would get and finish his dinner before mine arrived. So while I typically enjoy eating dinner around 7:30 - 8:00p, we now stick to traditional dining to avoid the hassle.

I disagree with the comment about moving towards only having MTD and this is why. I loved the option of MTD, but it did not work for us. I am celiac and have several food allergies. When you have a set table & waitstaff, the week is seemless. I order the next night's dinner after I eat and have no issues. With MTD, it was a hassle. I would still order the next night's dinner, but when we would switch waitstaff, the new waiter had no idea and several times my husband would get and finish his dinner before mine arrived. So while I typically enjoy eating dinner around 7:30 - 8:00p, we now stick to traditional dining to avoid the hassle.

Agree completely. My DW has a dairy allergy and would not even think about doing MTD.

I don't know that that's true. I've never seen any numbers that show that more people are eating in the WJ. I think on CC, you see posts from people who cruise a lot who do eat there, but repeat cruisers aren't usually the majority. First time cruisers are much more likely to eat in the MDR.

Hi. Sorry - should have been more clear. Since I always eat in the WJ, I am basing this on my own observations. Several years ago, there might be 4 or 5 other tables of diners each night while I was dining (30 minutes). It was easy to judge the regulars as opposed to the one night occasional diners. Recently, I noticed 20 or more tables taken by people I recognized each night for the entire cruise. I did not talk to any of them to find out the reason. I can only guess that some of them at least feel the same as me that 2 hours for dinner is way too long. I can eat and be done in less than 30 minutes and move on to other activities.

Just to be clear, I am not even thinking the WJ will ever be the preferred dining venue for the majority. All I am thinking is that RCCL should consider adding a dining option to the choice of MDR and MTD for WJ ONLY. Even if 20 parties choose this, it would clear up several tables in the MDR that will go unused, allow other diners to have full tables in the MDR and maybe increase the space between tables.

All I am saying is that there is a small percentage that do not like the MDR and use the WJ for dinner each night. Why force us to select a dining time or MTD when we KNOW we will not use it?

:)

Edited by rxziebel

IF, and that is a big giant if, they ever went to all MTD... you would just make reservations for the traditional late dining time and be fine. Nothing would change.

The MDR wouldn't have lost its clocks or anything.

It does change, it makes a sure thing a cause for anxiety. If everyone is forced into MTD. Won't 8:30 fill up?

I have enough chores to do for vacation. I pick traditional late seating for a reason. I don't have to make any decisions about what time to eat. Signing up for MTD is a chore, just like the luggage tags. I chose cruising to get away from the 3 times a day decision of where to eat and what time.

It's my opinion, but I have already expressed my dissatisfaction (to RCI) with RCI pushing everyone into MTD. :(

It does change, it makes a sure thing a cause for anxiety. If everyone is forced into MTD. Won't 8:30 fill up?

I have enough chores to do for vacation. I pick traditional late seating for a reason. I don't have to make any decisions about what time to eat. Signing up for MTD is a chore, just like the luggage tags. I chose cruising to get away from the 3 times a day decision of where to eat and what time.

It's my opinion, but I have already expressed my dissatisfaction (to RCI) with RCI pushing everyone into MTD. :(

Since late dining is what is always pushed on people joining the cruise late... I think you're fine. Mountains and molehills and all.

8:30 isn't the sweet spot dining.

Since late dining is what is always pushed on people joining the cruise late... I think you're fine. Mountains and molehills and all.

8:30 isn't the sweet spot dining.

What are you talking about? Mountains and Molehills?

I'll be the one to determine if I'm fine or not. Not a condescending post from you. Were you going for offensive, or does it just come naturally?

Hi. Sorry - should have been more clear. Since I always eat in the WJ, I am basing this on my own observations. Several years ago, there might be 4 or 5 other tables of diners each night while I was dining (30 minutes). It was easy to judge the regulars as opposed to the one night occasional diners. Recently, I noticed 20 or more tables taken by people I recognized each night for the entire cruise. I did not talk to any of them to find out the reason. I can only guess that some of them at least feel the same as me that 2 hours for dinner is way too long. I can eat and be done in less than 30 minutes and move on to other activities.

Just to be clear, I am not even thinking the WJ will ever be the preferred dining venue for the majority. All I am thinking is that RCCL should consider adding a dining option to the choice of MDR and MTD for WJ ONLY. Even if 20 parties choose this, it would clear up several tables in the MDR that will go unused, allow other diners to have full tables in the MDR and maybe increase the space between tables.

All I am saying is that there is a small percentage that do not like the MDR and use the WJ for dinner each night. Why force us to select a dining time or MTD when we KNOW we will not use it?

:)

This was not our experience recently on the Legend. After the first three nights in the MDR we started using the WJ instead, not because we cannot be bothered to dress up or have no manners, as someone has suggested. We just found it a long drawn out pretentious experience especially after a tiring day in port and it it's not as though the food is anything special.

However everyone on this cruise must have felt the same because it was a nightmare trying to get a table. We had expected it to be like this at breakfast and lunch but from what we had read on here thought dinner would be quiet and relaxing which was not the case at all. This would seem to indicate that on port intensive cruises more people are choosing this option.

This was not our experience recently on the Legend. After the first three nights in the MDR we started using the WJ instead, not because we cannot be bothered to dress up or have no manners, as someone has suggested. We just found it a long drawn out pretentious experience especially after a tiring day in port and it it's not as though the food is anything special.

However everyone on this cruise must have felt the same because it was a nightmare trying to get a table. We had expected it to be like this at breakfast and lunch but from what we had read on here thought dinner would be quiet and relaxing which was not the case at all. This would seem to indicate that on port intensive cruises more people are choosing this option.

Actually, that was my point. See what you highlighted in my post. The point I was making was that the Windjammer has become a more popular choice for dinner, and RCCL should consider providing a way for WJ only people to not reserve a spot in the MDR. Thinking on it further, it would help RCCL plan amounts of food to prepare for WJ dinner as well. If the WJ is crowded, there might be wasted dinners in the MDR and items running out in the WJ.