Move away from seating with 'strangers' in MDR

I would be very sad/disappointed if I couldn't be seated at a large table in the MDR. We are very social people, and really enjoy having tablemates.

I would also be disappointed if the entire ship was MTD with no traditional dining option. We do not eat in specialty restaurants, and we prefer a traditional dining experience. We've had bad luck the couple of times we tried MTD - long waiting time, slow and less attentive service, etc.

Sorry you've had a few bad experiences in MTD..it was our first time trying it on Oasis and had one of the best waiters (Narenda) that we have ever had in all our many cruises...and was happy to give him a WOW card.

For us I am glad there are more tables for 4 available.

We request the 4 top when booking and if we get seated at a larger table then we request a change and if that fails then Windjammer we go.

Tried the "large group of stangers" before with mixed results. One cruise it was fine but two others were windbags of the highest order and ruined the dining experience a bit.

I agree fully with the earlier post that says you would not sit with strangers in a restaurant so why do it on holiday.

We booked MTD so we could sit by ourselves which we did for dinner but when we tried the MDR for breakfast they insisted on seating us with other people so only did it the once. We prefer to be by ourselves anyway but at breakfast having to make conversation with strangers is not my idea of a relaxing holiday.

I would have liked to have sat with you at dinner too! It would make sense on oasis/allure to move to mtd. On ships with less options traditional dining likely works well, but specialty dining seems to be popping up a lot.

I don't think it would make sense to move to only MTD on the Oasis/Allure. As it is, the MDR is spread over 3 decks; only one is for MTD. There are plenty of us who cruise who do like traditional dining. We like getting to know our table mates; and we like having a set dining time, with a set wait staff. Yes, there are more options; but that's what they are - options. I have a B2B coming up on the Allure. If it were only MTD, I would not be going on that cruise; I would select a different ship - or a different cruise line, and exercise my options.

On the ships that have many specialty dining options, it does make sense to move away from the larger tables in the MDR. In the days when we did traditional dining, we were occasionally sitting alone, or nearly alone at a large table while the others who were "assigned" to our table went to specialty restaurants, the WJ, or whatever. We now do only MTD, and it makes sense to have more 2 top or 4 top available to meet that growing demand.

It sounds like there are still plenty of people who like sitting at a larger table with others, so I hope Royal doesn't do away with them completely!

As a single parent, I have always requested (and been seated at) a large table with others, usually with the other people having kids around the same ages. It has always worked out great, because a lot of the time the kids would eat-and-dash, to get to some fun activity on time, and us grownups were left to chat. I have met some really fascinating people that way.

I requested a large table again for our next cruise, and I hope it works out... I don't want to force my son to sit there the entire time and miss out on something, but I also don't want to sit there at a 2-top totally by myself. :-(

DW and I have been cruising since 1973, including many river cruises and ALWAYS the more sitting together for dinner, the merrier ... we have friendships that are worldwide and continue to nurture.

Those that have not experimented it, please don't knock it!

Rebeca and Herb ;) :confused:

I will have to fall into the category of liking MTD or 2-4 tops. Sure, we have sat at large tables and enjoyed conversations, but by and large, it's not been great for us.

Once, we were trapped with some incredibly stuck-up folks. Since we were not from Their state, and did not have Their political and religious views, we were beneath them. Our opinions were always wrong, and countered. It was not a friendly debate, but a lecture. Made for an awful experience and completely ruined dinner. Mercifully they hated our (really nice) waiter and moved to another table a couple of days in, but it was still unpleasant and awkward for the first meals.

I also am partially deaf in one ear, especially in noisy rooms. When sitting at a meal at a huge table, people are always talking to me and i cannot hear them. or i am trying to follow the conversation and cannot, so I feel left out. It is not their fault, sitting 8 chairs away and having a normal conversation voice in a noisy room means their speech is drowned out for me. Hard to make friends when all I can do is smile and nod. For this same reason we often avoid the MDR for breakfast and lunch, unless there is something to die (of embarrassment) for on on the menu.

My husband knows of my condition (obviously) and he makes sure to keep his mouth uncovered and look at me when he speaks so i can read his lips in the MDR (in the US this is a social taboo, as you are supposed to look people in the eye when you converse), and he knows to talk loudly, or we have our own sign language after 10 years of marriage. To others he appears rude and loud, or eats too slowly to avoid talking with food in his mouth. And we seem like we are sharing secrets all the time when in fact he is telling me what is being talked about into my good ear so i can follow along a little. he will do this if our waiter is not loud enough or far away as well. we are paying attention and not trying to be rude, we promise.

So for us, sitting at a 2 top would be wonderful. i would be so much more comfortable and able to hear the waiter and talk with my husband and not feel like loud obnoxious idiots or oblivious doofs who dont pay attention or want to participate.

Yes, we do let the waiter know I have a hearing problem (we are in our 30s, so it is not common) but often when I tell other guests... well i get these pitiful looks and they then talk to me like im a 90 years old and completely stone deaf.

Like someone said, we do not dine with strangers at a restaurant normally why should we on the ship? Also, at weddings, smart brides work hard to put people who at least know each other at the same table, so things are not awkward and people can converse. Not everyone gets along, and conversation flows best when people are naturally interested in the same things.

Should they only do MTD? no. But fewer 6-12 tops and more 2-4 tops in their place would be welcome for some of us.

I'm glad more tables for two or four will be available, so it will be easier to get one. I don't dine with strangers in land-based restaurants and don't see the attraction of dining with strangers on a ship.

That said, I can see the benefit of having some tables for ten or twelve for big groups and for folks who do wish to meet others when they dine on a cruise ship.

I'm with you on this Gangway. I also prefer to cruise at our own table. If we have no choice but to share a table, I can live with that and have met some nice people but I have also been annoyed by some as well. Give us a table for 4 any day!

Edited by Irene7

We always go for a table by ourselves, unless we already know who we are dining with. We are not slow eaters and a long, drawn out meal is not something we enjoy that often, unless it is with friends. We want to eat and move on to other things, which I can also understand the flip side, for those who want to spend a couple of hours with dinner, talking to many people.

If we get to talking to someone on the ship & want to extend dinner with them, then we will try and make that work out. We did that on our first Princess cruise and have great new friends from San Diego now.

We are just glad there are options to choose from.

David & Ellen

That is so sad! We have made some of the best friends at dinner.:(

Tara

Same here, that said, our two least enjoyable times were both on Allure and that maybe because of the large number of dining alternatives available. Now I said least enjoyable. My two times on Allure were nothing bad at all, just not the wonderful table mate experiences I have had on Voyager, Freedom, One out of 2 on Majesty, Navigator, and Jewel.

We always ask for an 8 top and have met many great people. In fact, one couple we met on our second cruise 7 years ago are still good friends. They've stayed with us on a trip to the US east coast (they're from BC) and we've cruised together and have another booked for 2015. It's always fun to meet new people. I'm really more introverted than extroverted but I am not shy and like to meet new people. I just don't want to be the center of attention or "life of the party". I find it easy to talk to almost anyone and I think separating people more will make it harder to connect with fellow travelers.

Good post, I see you are about to go on Allure for what looks like the first time. Let us know how that goes for you on this ship.

A table for just the 2 of us is heaven. We are on vacation together, not to make friends. We've got plenty of wonderful friends at home.

I don't need to hear about your dog's medicine and how little Jimmy is doing in 3rd grade or even how you have 12,345 facebook "friends" that you've never met or talked to more than once.

I want to talk to my wife and enjoy my meal.

If we get put at a table with others, we're polite and kind. We just hope it's not the table where someone finds the need to fill every single nanosecond with mindless banter, just to keep it going.

I agree fully with the earlier post that says you would not sit with strangers in a restaurant so why do it on holiday.

I take it you have never been to a Teppanyaki style dining place :) You really are missing out if not!

I dont like to eat with others...unless of course they are already friends....so I am glad they may have more small tables. I just wish there was a little more space between the tables....:eek::rolleyes:;)

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

I will agree with that. The last time I was on the Oasis, the tables seating 6 or more out numbered those that sat only 2 or 4 for traditional dining. Perhaps, in the area set aside for MTD, there are more tables for 2.

Just adding my 2 cents, the above is probably true, but there were a lot more tables per 2 in Allure's dining room than other ships I have been on, but even with the large number they must go fast. On my last cruise one couple, nice enough, but the first words out of their mouth's were, "We asked for a table for 2 but didn't get it" They didn't come back.

With the exception of one cruise, we are always with a group and are seated together for dinner. The one cruise where DH and I were alone we requested a table for 2 but ended up at a larger table. It was okay - tablemates were at least 15 years younger than us so not a whole lot in common. Not interested in a repeat if we cruise alone again.

During the reservation process when we have to make our dining selection, why don't they just ask if being seated with strangers is acceptable. Obviously some people love to meet new people so why not give everyone the choice instead of taking it away completely.

If this were the case, I'd be thrilled. I've never liked sharing a table. Thankfully, we haven't sat with "strangers" in about 10 years, but we're booked for traditional early dinner next cruise and while we've requested a small table for just our family of 5, until I see it on that first day, I'll be slightly anxious that we'll be seated with others.

Normally I would have booked MTD, but with OBC from various sources, I don't want to prepay the gratuities 60 days out.

Fingers crossed, the seating planners honor our request.

A table for just the 2 of us is heaven. We are on vacation together, not to make friends. We've got plenty of wonderful friends at home.

I don't need to hear about your dog's medicine and how little Jimmy is doing in 3rd grade or even how you have 12,345 facebook "friends" that you've never met or talked to more than once.

I want to talk to my wife and enjoy my meal.

If we get put at a table with others, we're polite and kind. We just hope it's not the table where someone finds the need to fill every single nanosecond with mindless banter, just to keep it going.

This. Unless I am with a group or family that I know well, put me at a table for 2. Vacation is a chance for my wife and I to catch up and recharge, not make awkward conversation with strangers for 7 days!

I was on Oasis with you last week.

It just occurred to me that we ALWAYS dined as a family of four. Generally, we have our "private" table for dinner, but get put on a larger table for breakfast and lunch. Not once at this cruise, were we ever seated at a large table to meet others.

I'm fine with having my own dinner table (I'd prefer to this to be paired nightly with someone who did not want to be around young children) - but it would have been nice to at least meet some new people at lunch/dinner.

btw - were you the parents of the two twin boys who had the children's place fedoras on for formal night? I noticed them because my son had the same one.

DW and I have been cruising since 1973, including many river cruises and ALWAYS the more sitting together for dinner, the merrier ... we have friendships that are worldwide and continue to nurture.

Those that have not experimented it, please don't knock it!

Rebeca and Herb ;) :confused:

I don't think anyone is knocking it. I personally have no desire to eat with strangers. I'm happy to chat with someone by the pool or in a lounge but I don't want to feel trapped for a whole meal. It wouldn't be relaxing for me at all. I'm glad most cruise lines have figured out ways to accommodate different preferences.

During the reservation process when we have to make our dining selection, why don't they just ask if being seated with strangers is acceptable. Obviously some people love to meet new people so why not give everyone the choice instead of taking it away completely.

This would make sense. I was hoping that by requesting a large table we would have been seated with others.

btw - were you the parents of the two twin boys who had the children's place fedoras on for formal night? I noticed them because my son had the same one.

That was us. I think my husband was chatting with your husband by the carousel on the last night as well. He was talking to my husband about Oakville and the Toronto Blue Jays.

If this were the case, I'd be thrilled. I've never liked sharing a table. Thankfully, we haven't sat with "strangers" in about 10 years, but we're booked for traditional early dinner next cruise and while we've requested a small table for just our family of 5, until I see it on that first day, I'll be slightly anxious that we'll be seated with others.

Normally I would have booked MTD, but with OBC from various sources, I don't want to prepay the gratuities 60 days out.

Fingers crossed, the seating planners honor our request.

We've signed up for MTD once we've boarded when we've had OBC. An option once on board if wanting to use OBC for tips.