Same sex or no sex?

Cruiser Craig

Hi How do any of us know a couple are married. Just because they say they are?? I wonder if the witch still have a husband? I guess she will never go on a cruise alone. I will be crusing with my best best friend next May. She is very happy married and I am single. We do travel a lot but with a group of friends for the last 20+ years. Last year I traveled to Colorado. We met a bunch of women about 25-30 they travel all over the world Most were married and all left husbands at home. they have been doing this since thier college days. I hope to meet you on a cruise some day. I am also cruising in November.

Mary

A little OT. I met a wonderful group of women, aka The Sweet Potato Queens, about 11 years ago and that really changed my life for the better. I'm happily married for almost 43 years, but meeting some of those people changed my life forever. First big parade I went to in Jackson, MS was a hoot. Most of us had friends that were sure that we had been lured into a big ole lesbian thingy. OMG, some of the best people in the world. There are some gay guys and girls, but who cares? One of the persons I would have chosen for a brother, if I had had the chance, was the very first gay guy that I had ever met in my life. He opened my eyes many, many, ways.

Also a non issue for me .

We all sit down at a table in the MDR the first night and make introductions. a man or woman introduces another man or woman as their partner/husband /wife whatever . ok I am a big boy, I get it you are a gay/lesbian couple .......NEXT so where are you from, what do you do? have you ever been on a cruise before ? What excursions are you planning to do?

What does your sexual orientation have to do with having pleasant dinner conversation ?

I have to admit I am not big on overly done PDAs gay straight or whatever. Its not the time or place.

To be honest, I couldn't imagine ever being with another guy , it just isn't my thing. But God bless 2 people who fall in love and can make it work , whoever they are . God 33 years is a pretty good run. that puts a lot of straight relationships to shame.

To me meeting people on vacation is a time for casual chat. Keep it light , keep it friendly.

Your sexual orientation, your political views, your religious beliefs don't need to be a part of it.

A very well liked poster on this board always had a great answer when a tablemate would try to snag him into some heavy debate. he would always "Sorry I left my politics back on the dock" :) Love it.

Enjoy your vacation, enjoy yourselves, enjoy people you meet as you meet them for themselves , not what color they are , or what religion they are , or how much they make , or where they are from, or who they sleep with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

I'm proud to be from Massachusetts.......

the first U.S. state to vote gay marriage legal.

That was a vote of the PEOPLE, not the politicians.

Actually, we didn't have a popular vote, our state Supreme Court decided for us, which was a smart move, in my view.

Although my partner and I have been together for over 33 years, we still seem to get some unpredictable attitude from certain co-cruise guests. It's to the point that, although we're about to embark on our third cruise this year, after our eye-brow-raising reception on our latest cruise last May, I haven't even bothered to sign us up for the roll call on the cruise we'll be taking in November.

So please, here on an anonymous forum, this is the time to speak up. Would you prefer that two women together or two men together on a cruise just keep to themselves and not participate in cruise life? There's obviously no right answer nor no wrong answer, I'd just like to hear your gut-response! Don't feel as if you'll be pre-judged by me because you won't be.

So what is it, same sex or no sex?

Personally, as long as they keep with standard social norms, I don't care. While we're on the subject, I also prefer people who are comfortable with their own gender and the gender that they're attracted to. Their ego is attached to their personality, not their sexuality. A secure person doesn't need to artificially lisp, or butch their hair to overtly look like a man.

Are there seriously people in this world who's first question upon meeting someone new, "Who do they have sex with?" That's a little creepy, IMO, and frankly not my business.

Further, a person is SO MUCH MORE than their sexual orientation. I feel sorry for those people who are so closed off they can't see the beauty and individuality in each and every person they meet. They are SO missing out.

Although we've cruised a lot, I haven't spent a lot of time reading these forums. I wanted to hear how many of you felt about this subject and now I have.

I'm truly overwhelmed by so many of these comments. And after having read them, I'd like to underline that this was not about any blatant harassment or bullying, banishment or stoning. Nor was anything being flaunted; no drag was involved (never has been) nor any fuschia or "butched" (lol!) hair.

Thank you, all of you, for reminding me that the odd cabin neighbors with attitude and issues of their own can just as easily be ignored.

Thank you, all of you, for reminding me that nowadays the vast majority of us embrace diversity.

Thank you, all of you.

I love you guys as does Frank!!! Heaven only knows if you hadn't been there for me on that cruise I would have had to dance with my goat!! I wish you had told me this...I had no idea! You know I would have been more than happy to have spoken with them;) Some people live such sheltered lives in this day and age! I feel pity for those poor souls...

I say suck it up buttercup:)

Thanks, Catherine. This wasn't in the Carribean when we had so much fun with you and Frank but on a Med cruise we were on two months later.

And I don't want to blow it out of proportion...we have thick skin.

Yikes, people have been rude to you on a cruise because of who your partner is!? What decade is this again? :eek:

I'm very sorry to hear you've run into problems, but it seems the problem is with the other people and not you.

As far as what I think: As long as you aren't having sex or something right in front of my face, I'm happy to meet you. (This statement applies to all couples gay or straight)

I have a very dear friend who is in a same-sex relationship. They generally do not participate in "groups" when cruising, because they fear the reaction of other cruisers :( They dine at a two-top in Anytime dining, because they figure there will be fewer opportunities for non-acceptance or outright confrontation. That's their reality. That's what they have been conditioned to expect... So, while society overall may be much more accepting of differences now than 20 years ago, some who were raised when "different = bad" still have real, valid concerns. It only takes one negative "incident" to cause the fears and prior conditioning to rush back, IMHO. At least, that is my take on it, from the many discussions I've had with my friend.

This rings true, CowPrincess, and is unfortunate conditioning that the younger generations hopefully won't have to deal with in future.

Personally, as long as they keep with standard social norms, I don't care. While we're on the subject, I also prefer people who are comfortable with their own gender and the gender that they're attracted to. Their ego is attached to their personality, not their sexuality. A secure person doesn't need to artificially lisp, or butch their hair to overtly look like a man.

For the record, I know PLENTY of secure women who "butch their hair" as you so indelicately put it. They happen to LIKE short hair, and I find your implication there offensive.

Ally and I have been together for 25 years and were married in 2003 as soon as it became legal in Ontario. Our first cruise ever was an Olivia charter on the Westerdam. We had such a good time that we decided that we'd try a "regular" HAL cruise. I'll have to admit though we were really nervous about whether we'd be able to fit in. As another commenter posted, we did eat at a two top in anytime dining, just in case. ;-)

It all worked out very well. We had joined the roll call prior to the cruise and met some really nice people that way. I have quite short hair not because I want to look like a man but because I like the convenience of short hair (don't think I'm particularly butch but anyway...). Occasionally I got some looks from older passengers but nothing really nasty. My response is normally to smile and say "What a great day", "How's your cruise going", etc. All in all we had a great time on our first "normal" cruise. We booked our next one while on board.

My dad always says, "What other people think of me is none of my business." Not a bad motto.

Rae

Your take on it is spot on for some of us older gay couples and we still feel this way. Better safe than sorry....at this point we've had enough.

However, we have never had a problem on Hal with passengers or crew and do participate in some of the organized events.

Cruise on...be happy....

Mr. Veal and I are pretty well known on HAL ships because we're President's Club members - and it's no secret that we're a couple - we keep to ourselves and friends because unless you know ships or passenger planes, we're pretty damn BORING. BUT we agree with the above posters. Too may people have treated people like us poorly so we are very aware of it. Because of our many friendships onboard and the sizes of us and thefact that we lookl like we'd be at home on a tugboat or the bridge of a freighter people think twice before starting with either of us. And yet we're very friendly...I think.... :-)

We also dislike the word guest when it is used to describe a paying customer on a cruise ship.

A customer pays. A guest does not. HUGE difference.

We are customers, the cruise line is a vendor/supplier.

It is a very straightforward relationship-notwithstanding the warm and fuzzy marketing that the cruise lines put out to promote the word guest.

I enjoy conversation on cruises but only with people who are familiar with the concept. Gender and orientation make no difference, but sociability and familiarity with exchange in conversation do matter. I think I have seen more gay couples who choose to isolate themselves and not reach out to others than I have seen discrimination against them.

The OP is (I think) asking being accepted by people in general. I think problems are to be expected to a certain extent on a straight cruise. It's just part of being gay in a straight world.

We were on a straight Princess cruise last year in July. Some American Christians were openly praying at the table beside us. This enraged me immediately, but I didn't say anything.

You just have to go with the flow. Not everything likes us; we don't like everyone either.

On a straight cruise, it's much better to sit on your own at a table for two, or with other gay cruisers. It's too stressful dealing with straight people at meals.

We also dislike the word guest when it is used to describe a paying customer on a cruise ship.

A customer pays. A guest does not. HUGE difference.

We are customers, the cruise line is a vendor/supplier.

It is a very straightforward relationship-notwithstanding the warm and fuzzy marketing that the cruise lines put out to promote the word guest.

In the airline business you are a customer until you board the plane. As soon as you board you become a passenger.

Archived