How can people afford expensive cruises?

ellasabe

We are in our 70's and cruise 2-3 times a year. We research and always go on the off season, usually early December or after the holidays. Never spring break or summer. We always book the cabin we want, but as soon as the bookings open. We then watch for price drops. Most of the time we have gone on Caribbean cruises because they were cheaper. We have gone to Europe in 2009 and are doing our first B2B Rome to Barcelona to Galveston leaving next week.

We can afford these cruises because we lived well below our means while we were working, lived in a smaller house in a less posh neighborhood and had one car that we kept 10+ years. We did always have an RV, but again not a top of the line one. We had 2 kids and did not indulge them in cars and clothes. They went to state universities. We have very good pensions, but that is because we chose to work in government jobs that paid less than a comparable job in the private sector, but the guarantee benefit retirement system made the difference. We also did the absolute matching, adding to our retirement. Some of our friends chose to opt out of the retirement system and lived high on the hog all those years; I wonder how they are enjoying retirement now.

We are going to splurge on a Bucket List cruise next year on the Celebrity Infinity British Isles cruise. This will be much, much more expensive than any other cruise we have ever taken. Part of the expense is because the exchange rate to the pound makes everything cost more.

Every one has to make choices and prioritize what they want/need to do. This is a personal life style choice and our choices may not be yours, and that's OK.

Margee

I'd like to bet also that a lot of people on expensive cruises have or have had their own business and made mega bucks. One never gets rich working for somebody else.

My attorney spouse is found of saying, " I'm just a highly compensated service employee for the wealthy."

That said, we live under our means and drive older regular middle class cars, brown bag lunches, cook our own food and eat out at a moderate restaurant only once a month, a special restaurant and the theater for our anniversary.

Edited by Pecs ado rojo

I'd like to bet also that a lot of people on expensive cruises have or have had their own business and made mega bucks. One never gets rich working for somebody else.

Tim Lincecum just signed a two year contract extension for $35 million. He gets rich working for someone else. In his case, it's the San Francisco Giants.

Wow. Think that would be very difficult to prove. Particularly in my family, in laws included...

Just for example, a brother in law who started with nothing, went on to be a high level executive in a world wide engineering firm. The company has 55K employees throughout the world. He retired in the top 20 people in the firm, after working for them for 30+ years. He can comfortable afford some very long and expensive cruises.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Very untrue........one can get rich or go broke working for themselves, and can get rich or go broke working for someone else. The gains are greater when you're self employed, but so are the losses, and there are lots of wealthy people who work for others.

Not saying this is the case for most, but just because it is written on the internet does not necessarily make it true. :rolleyes:

I could do research and write a grand tale of a B2B in a Royal Suite that would be very accurate...doesn't mean I actually went.

Of course, if they regularly meet others from this forum or known to people on this forum while aboard the ship, that theory has a slight hole in it. ;)

Wow. Think that would be very difficult to prove. Particularly in my family, in laws included...

Just for example, a brother in law who started with nothing, went on to be a high level executive in a world wide engineering firm. The company has 55K employees throughout the world. He retired in the top 20 people in the firm, after working for them for 30+ years. He can comfortable afford some very long and expensive cruises.

You're right.

As pointed out so frequently on this forum.......

Generalizations never work well.

Wow, this thread kinda made me depressed. Where I come from, earning 125K a year is a large amount, and you can count yourself out of the middle class. People here, average about 2.2K a month. Before taxes that is. When we paid all of our beloved friends at the government, we keep about 60% of our income. I'm working 2 jobs and don't even earn 20K a year... That's just sad.

This has been very enlightening. I am seeing different categories of cruisers, and the most common type, thus far, is the "frugal Fred and Fannie" types. Not to say they are complete misers, but rather, don't spend a lot on entertainment--not going out to eat a lot; passing on the theater, expensive functions, country club, glitz and glamour. Living slightly below ones' means, whatever that may be. Savers as opposed to spenders.

Being a savvy traveler appears to be another sizable group: looking for savings and creative ways to supplement the travel fund, whether it be through award points gained through credit cards, frequent flyer miles, pocketing coupon savings, selling used clothing at consignment stores, banking surplus money, etc.

The third group may be a member of 1) and/or 2) above, and those are the travelers who will take an inside cabin on an extended cruise, say, $5000 per person for a 40-day World Voyage segment vs. spending $5000 per person for a 7-day Caribbean penthouse suite.

Next are those who spend beyond their means, and are in debt, but my guess is that they are not repeat cruisers, as someday they will have to pay the piper.

And then of course there are those who have inherited, sold a home, won a lottery, or are just in the top tier of the financial bracket, which is another group unto itself, and my guess, an even smaller percentage.

Edited by ellasabe

Wow, this thread kinda made me depressed. Where I come from, earning 125K a year is a large amount, and you can count yourself out of the middle class. People here, average about 2.2K a month. Before taxes that is. When we paid all of our beloved friends at the government, we keep about 60% of our income. I'm working 2 jobs and don't even earn 20K a year... That's just sad.

Something that may be different in regards to salary/middle class in U.S. vs. other smaller countries is location.

Someone living in Boston or NYC, for example, earning $125K certainly is not poor but it doesn't buy nearly as much as someone who lives in some other states.

For the most part (with exception) in U.S., the left coast and the right coast are far more expensive places to live than some of the so-called 'fly over' states. The cost of real estate to purchase or an apartment to rent in Boston or NYC likely would shock many.

Perhaps there is not quite as drastic cost of living differences in smaller countries?

To pay 40% total of your income for taxes is better than many of us. By the time we pay Federal Income Tax, State Income Taxes, Real estate taxes, sales taxes, personal property taxes, auto excise taxes etc etc etc etc etc........ many of us in U.S. pay more than 40%.

Edited by sail7seas

How lovely for them. Cannot help but pour a little cold water on this. One has to hope they are also charitable. Think of all the good that could be done with just half of what they have spent on world cruises.

Using your logic, one can think of all the good that could be done if people didn't spend on any cruises!

Something that may be different in regards to salary/middle class in U.S. vs. other smaller countries is location.

Someone living in Boston or NYC, for example, earning $125K certainly is not poor but it doesn't buy nearly as much as someone who lives in some other states.

For the most part (with exception) in U.S., the left coast and the right coast are far more expensive places to live than some of the so-called 'fly over' states. The cost of real estate to purchase or an apartment to rent in Boston or NYC likely would shock many.

Perhaps there is not quite as drastic cost of living differences in smaller countries?

To pay 40% total of your income for taxes is better than many of us. By the time we pay Federal Income Tax, State Income Taxes, Real estate taxes, sales taxes, personal property taxes, auto excise taxes etc etc etc etc etc........ many of us in U.S. pay more than 40%.

That is what we pay on our checks. We already gave a substantial amount ot our 'wonderful' wellfare system. We also need to pay all of what you named but with a wage where the government automatically holds 40% of it. On that amount, we pay taxes again (the other 40 I was talking about). And on top of that, we pay all of the other taxes. The 40% I talkes about was only the tax on our wage. Our gross vs. net income will shock a lot of people. We have the third most heavy taxes in the entire world! I am very well aware of the system and prices in the U.S. I know it's nearly impossible with a 'normal' job to get a decent living in those mega cities. But same here in our country, although on a much, much smaller base ;-)

but taxes here and in the U.S. are pretty different.

While you guys in the U.S. hold a much larger nett income (pro rata), you'll have to save for your own kind of social wellfare and pension. When we go on pension, the government pays our pension. But we contributed our entire life paying the penions of others. So the part you paid is a lot(!) higher then you'll recveive. Unless you're planning to reach 100 years of age. Our social system fails tremendously. While it is a big issue in the States as well, ours is 'too social'. People with no jobs can outearn people who work every day. We even pay illegal immigrants our tax money to return to their country. Imagine that. 6 weeks later, they are back under a different name and earn another €500 (around $700) At the airport, we see the same faces returning time after time. But hey, that's our social system. If somebody comes to our country, works here 1 day and then quits, he is eligible for an entire welfare support. They never contributed, but they earn up too $1.5K, depending on how many kids they have.

Our cost of living is incredibly high. While The Netherlands (also a small country) is much cheaper in regards of cost of living. They also have high taxes, but going to the supermarket over there will save you 35%. Even our own beer, which is exported to Holland is cheaper across the border than in our own country.

Erm, I'm starting to realise this was not the purpose of the thread :p But once I get going on this, I'm hard to stop.

Edited by headhunterke

Have not taken a 60+ day cruise yet, but it is in the plans. I own my own business and well sell it when DW decides she no longer wants to work. She loves her job and career so cannot take that much time off yet.

Once we stop working we start spending the kids inheritance! I may not be able to take it with me, but I can spend it before I get to the finish line:D

You also have to really shop for deals. A few years ago HAL had a 30 day Los Angeles down around South America that was selling for $1,800 pp inside. DW could not go, but I was tempted to solo it. Decided being happily married was more important that cruising.

I have taken a couple partial world cruises and have met some lovely people who are millionaires and some who were retired working stiffs. There were two women, traveling solo, who saved for years to take a once in a lifetime world cruise. Just seeing their excitement when experiencing the new cultures they experienced was priceless. One of those women was going blind and she wanted to "see" the world before her world turned dark permanently.

I've been on regular Crystal cruises where I've cruised with the likes of a Forbes and guy who worked for the sanitation department in a small Midwestern city. There's no rhyme nor reason for the whys and wherefores on how people afford their cruising. But I will say one thing, I get exasperated with those who feel its OK to knock others because of their choices, using the tired mantra of "there are better ways to spend your money with all the troubles in the world". If we were to all follow that logic, we'd all be sitting home for 358 days of the year, taking maybe one 7 day vacation on the cheap, never dining out or attending any kind of entertainment venue, so we can send our vacation/entertainment money to whomever. Sorry, but that notion doesn't sit well. And besides, how do you know that in addition to taking an expensive vacation that those same individuals don't contribute large sums of money or their time to the less fortunate?

But, wanna take lots of expensive cruises? Win the lottery.

Edited by kitty9

How lovely for them. Cannot help but pour a little cold water on this. One has to hope they are also charitable. Think of all the good that could be done with just half of what they have spent on world cruises.

Maybe they are charitable. Most I know if that bracket = friends and family are and was the way I was brought up. This summer I got the question how could we afford a 12 day Baltic Cruise with 2 nights pre cruise in Amsterdam at the Movinpic (right on the water) = there were 6 of us. My mom, one of my twins (16) and I stayed in one room - aft handicapped concierge room - which was big enough for her scooter and folded wheelchair and all of my son's meds, feeding pump etc. Roger (my partner) and the other twin and my oldest (20) shared a lower level ocean view room. By putting an additional person in each of our rooms it cost us less than $600 per twin for the 12 nights - and they are 16. We share rooms rather than get an additional cabin. My boys like to travel and as all 3 have a genetic metabolic disease I work to ensure we get to go on at least 1 big tripe every other year. 2 years ago we got lucky and our Eastern Med cruise was one of the twins MAW trip - although we did pay for an additional 2 days on land. This summer's cruise was my 50th birthday and I started putting money away as soon as we got back from Rome. When came time to book we got lucky with the pick your perks and got OBC and also free drinks package.

And yes we are doing a surprise eastern Caribbean cruise over Christmas that we booked 3 weeks ago with a good deal. Again we will be sharing rooms and adding one more as Roger's daughter who is 27 will be joining us - so she gets to stay with my mom and I and Roger gets all 3 of my boys - lol. This was last minute for us - but with my mom & dad having been married on XMAS day (he died 20 years ago this coming May) and my stepdad died in my moms house in Boca last year Dec. 19th right before XNAS. So when I found a good deal for cruising at XMAS we jumped on it.

Everyone I know (maybe it is because of the people I surround myself with) who can afford trips are also huge charity supporters. I know that personally as I run a Silent Auction and Reception with my GF every November to raise funds to find a cure for mitochondrial disease, which all 3 of my boys have and my friends son too.

So don't assume that someone who spends a lot on themselves is not charitable. My brother for example does not do Charity events, etc. and is very well off - but he is in the sports business and every year he donates over $20,000 of merchandise for our auction that often brings in well over the cost. So to many he seems uncharitable because he has a house here and there, etc. but do not see the things he does.

Sharon

Then there are those of us who figure out a way of staying at that Four Seasons, but not spending $600/night. For instance, my first night in Rome last year was spent at the Intercontinental - for which I paid nothing. All other nights in Italy were free on points. The deals/tricks are out there, it's a matter of working the system to obtain what you want.

Hey, I'm right there with you on this one. My trip to Italy in May was done with: airfare by frequent Flyer Miles, 7 nights on points/certificates, 1 night via a friend who works for a large hotel chain (Rome Cavalieri, Westin Florence, Hilton FCO, Sheraton CDG... I paid only for lunch/dinner/gelato/drinks - didn't pay for breakfast since it was comp'd for all my stays.

I've always worked the system. But, I have to get my miles/points back up to where I can use them again for another trip. Hence, my monthly bills are auto-paid with my Delta and Hilton credit cards to get the miles and points (Then I pay it off each month so no interest)...Paid my income taxes with one of my cards to the points/miles. Pay for all my groceries with one of the cards to get the points/miles. Kind of serves two purposes: gets my miles/points and keeps my credit rating up there!

Edited by slidergirl

How was the breakaway?

I personally had a great time and reAlly enjoyed the breakaway, so much so that I booked as soon as I got home for next year! There are mixed reviews on it though. If you goto the ncl board there are many reviews on the most recent sailings on the main page.

Not everyone is in yours and my income bracket. The last long cruise we were on there was a couple who EVERY YEAR book a suite on the QM world cruise which goes for about $60K a person!

By any chance is their name McMaster? We met them this year WC on the QM. They are very lovely people.

M

Edited by Porthopper101

Not saying this is the case for most, but just because it is written on the internet does not necessarily make it true. :rolleyes:

I could do research and write a grand tale of a B2B in a Royal Suite that would be very accurate...doesn't mean I actually went.

That is why I posted a link to my pictures.

M

What people make and spend only they know.

I know poeple that make more than me but spend like they are poor, see those that make less and spend like they are rich. Life and spending is all about choices, value and tradeoffs.

In this today/vacation/debt culture too many sacrifice today / values for immediate gratification.

Looks like you are doing good and disciplined not wasting on new cars and putting away plenty for retirement.

I'd say worry less about what the Jone's next door are doing or those on the internet and just continue to make the value choices for yourself. Nothing like comparing yourself to others that start causing you envy :D

BTW 4K / month = 48K out of 125K total income for retirement is a heavy sacrifice. Invested wisely for another 15 years and you'll be taking a lot of those nice cruise while those boasting here will be hurting ;)

Whether it those are not be a 12-night Crystal Cruise, or a Holland America Grand Voyage, the fact remains, these cruises are expensive. Twelve, fifteen, twenty-five thousand dollars per person....these are not your $599 7 night Caribbean sailings.

My sister and I are both in our 50s, married to professionals, have incomes of about $125K per year and own 4BR/2BA suburban homes in affordable areas, drive "average" cars like a 2010 Toyota Camry, and don't have small children in our households. We put moderate amounts--between $2000 to $4000 a month--away towards retirement. We consider ourselves middle-class.

So in reading these cruise boards we notice many, many cruisers who are in income brackets similar to or lower than ours, yet they seem able to take expensive cruises my sister and I can only drool over. Retired teachers and policemen, former university professors, electricians, retired Teamster employees, Vice-President of a local bank, etc. etc. Some are living in condos, others in single-family homes...the point being, we don't know how they can do it.

NOT being nosey; rather, looking for insight into how we, too, can enjoy those perks!

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by chipmaster

I have taken a couple partial world cruises and have met some lovely people who are millionaires and some who were retired working stiffs. There were two women, traveling solo, who saved for years to take a once in a lifetime world cruise. Just seeing their excitement when experiencing the new cultures they experienced was priceless. One of those women was going blind and she wanted to "see" the world before her world turned dark permanently.

I've been on regular Crystal cruises where I've cruised with the likes of a Forbes and guy who worked for the sanitation department in a small Midwestern city. There's no rhyme nor reason for the whys and wherefores on how people afford their cruising. But I will say one thing, I get exasperated with those who feel its OK to knock others because of their choices, using the tired mantra of "there are better ways to spend your money with all the troubles in the world". If we were to all follow that logic, we'd all be sitting home for 358 days of the year, taking maybe one 7 day vacation on the cheap, never dining out or attending any kind of entertainment venue, so we can send our vacation/entertainment money to whomever. Sorry, but that notion doesn't sit well. And besides, how do you know that in addition to taking an expensive vacation that those same individuals don't contribute large sums of money or their time to the less fortunate?

But, wanna take lots of expensive cruises? Win the lottery.

Really good points but worth mentioning that just by our traveling/cruising to every corner of the world we are contributing to those less fortunate. The tourism industry provides the majority of revenue for many location. It is the largest segment for providing work and revenue for village, town and city services.

A great many families depend upon tourism dollars/pesos/yen etc to put food on their table.