Taxi scam warning....

bridedoll1026

Just returned from a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale & wanted to caution others of what might be a scam. Our taxi took us the short distance from Port Everglades to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Although the metered fair showed $14.10, when my DH handed the driver $17 to include tip, the driver said that trips to the airport were "a flat $20". I explained that I had never heard that before & his fare should have been posted or stated prior to the trip & also that his meter should not have been on. He also dropped us off at the arrival area instead of the departure area, so that he could pick up a another fare quickly & make his exit. We paid him the $20 & asked for a receipt. He refused to give me a receipt & instead handed me a card with the taxi company phone number on it! No name or employee number! I called the company to report it & ask if the "flat rate" was something new & the lady said the price of the fair was on the meter & knew nothing of "flat rates". She did advise that if this happened in the future, to get the 3 digit number in the rear window of the cab which would identify the driver immediately. I'm hoping that this warning will prevent other cruisers from beg scammed.

Someone else reported this recently.

I know that it's after the fact, but since you seemed aware of what he was doing, if it ever happens again, just pull out your phone and take a picture of his ID on the divider. Also, take a photo of HIM. That'll put him on notice!

This is my report from our Allure departure in July 2012:

We got fully loaded into the cab, and this guy announces loudly, “The cost for this cab is $20 PLUS TIP!” Yeah, ok. I wasn’t going to argue at this point; he had our luggage hostage. So we make the quick trip to the port and as he gets out ($11.70 meter reading) he quickly zeroes out the meter.

So I go to pay him and I say, “The meter said $11.70”. He got all huffy and puffy and started saying “well, you are 5 people” and well, this and that and the other thing. I said, "anyway it’s a metered fare so it doesn’t matter" and gave him $20. I’m sure he was po’d but I thought it was fair. This was cab driver 0645 in case anyone gets him later. He says “my people, my people” a lot. He’s big! My tip: make sure you are in a metered minivan, and check the meter when you get in and before you get out to avoid disagreements.

PS I should have given him less for that terrible attitude.

Edited by marci22

I know that it's after the fact, but since you seemed aware of what he was doing, if it ever happens again, just pull out your phone and take a picture of his ID on the divider. Also, take a photo of HIM. That'll put him on notice!

good point.

Easy to say, but some of these guys are very intimidating. I know mine was, but I was kind of expecting it with his announcement at the beginning so I prepared myself. My husband would have paid him the full amount. I did memorize that number though.

It's a small amount of money but it bugs me that they are being so dishonest, and they probably do it to everyone.

Many years ago we were in St. Martin and the open air taxi driver told me a price for my family to go to Orient Beach. Then when we got there, he told me a higher price. So prior negotiation doesn't always work. I paid him what I told him I would. My husband thought we were going to get arrested. Driver just glared at me though. And he was in the parking lot for pickups when we left, but I took a different driver.

And last year we were in Disney and we were all in a cab. The driver bumped the car ahead of him. So he gets out to argue with the other driver, and leaves the meter running. I told him to turn it off and he ignored me. Wasn't too much extra though, but still. I always get the worst cab drivers.

Edited by marci22

Easy to say, but some of these guys are very intimidating. I know mine was, but I was kind of expecting it with his announcement at the beginning so I prepared myself. My husband would have paid him the full amount. I did memorize that number though.

It's a small amount of money but it bugs me that they are being so dishonest, and they probably do it to everyone.

Try the cell phone picture method. Even the worst bully is likely to back down when you have photographic evidence.

Try the cell phone picture method. Even the worst bully is likely to back down when you have photographic evidence.

I am still using my dumb phone from 2008. When I finally upgrade, I have visions of all the scofflaws I will film/photograph as evidence.

I had the same thing happen to me in Ft. Lauderdale, there were six of us in two cabs that went from the cruise port to the airport, it took two cabs to get us there, the cabs followed one another the whole way. When We got to the airport, our driver said the fare would be 20 dollars, the Meter read 11.80, I pointed this out to the driver, he gave me the "flat rate story, I gave him $12.00 and no tip, he told me he was going to call the police. I said go ahead and told him that I would be at the Southwest Airlines gate, took my bags and walked in. Never heard another thing.....by the way, asked the people in the other cab what their rate was....it was $12.00.....It is too bad that there are a few cab drivers that try to take advantage of people......

I used to taxi a lot in Las Vegas, and I've had quite a few bad taxi experiences. To clarify some things:

1) You don't need to tip taxi drivers.

They get a percentage of the fare, somewhere between 40-70% of it. It makes no sense to tip them for a service they are supposed to provide (getting you there safely). IF you wish to tip, so be it. But if you are getting ripped off, don't.

2) Taxi drivers will attempt to long haul you.

A lot of taxi drivers ask how are you, where you are from, etc. Most of the time they are not interested in where you are actually from, they are doing it for 1 of 2 reasons - to get a better tip, and to find out if you know the area. IF you don't know the area, they may attempt to longhaul you, which is a term for taking the longer routes to get to a simple destination. Taking "short cuts" or "conventions in town" are common excuses. Simple solution: tell them to take you the shortest distance route, or GPS your phone and give them directions.

3) If they longhaul or bs you

In Vegas, you can take a picture of their license and state you will report them to the Nevada Taxicab Authority as well as call the cops. You can pick up your phone and tell them you will wait until the cops arrive, and take a picture of the meter as well. I have done this on 3 occasions before, as well as it escalate close to that point over 10 times, and every single time they either offered me a reduced rate and once a guy said I could go for free and drove off.

Since Florida doesn't have a NTA, just tell them you are going to call the cops.

A little background on why taxi drivers do this:

They arrive in the morning, and let's say 50 drivers get a shift. They are given a somewhat average or quota they have to meet, and those 50 drivers that meet it and bring in $ to the company get the shifts. The ones that don't, are given the day off. That is why taxi drivers longhaul/scam. It's a pity really, because they can make so much more providing stellar service and getting 2-3 big tips in the day from people who truly appreciate it. But it's a vicious cycle.

. I have done this on 3 occasions before, as well as it escalate close to that point over 10 times, and every single time they either offered me a reduced rate and once a guy said I could go for free and drove off.

Wow. I thought it was happening because I look scammable.

I am still using my dumb phone from 2008. When I finally upgrade, I have visions of all the scofflaws I will film/photograph as evidence.

That really made me chuckle!

(btw, before I got my iphone, I called my phone a Stupid Phone.;))

I used to taxi a lot in Las Vegas, and I've had quite a few bad taxi experiences. To clarify some things:

1) You don't need to tip taxi drivers.

They get a percentage of the fare, somewhere between 40-70% of it. It makes no sense to tip them for a service they are supposed to provide (getting you there safely). IF you wish to tip, so be it. But if you are getting ripped off, don't.

I sort of disagree with this.

At least here, drivers maintain their own cabs and most own them. They have to pay a certain amount to the dispatching company. They pay for their own fuel as well. If they get you there in an expected time frame at an expected cost, you should always tip.

I wonder if the Port Everglades authority folks, if they were notified this was happening, could somehow intervene and stop this taxi fare scam? :confused: Sure seems like they would highly disapprove of the practice and not want tourists to have this kind of bad experience within their port.

I had an issue one year at Port Everglades going back to the airport where the driver had a "extra" on the meter. I have encountered this going to the port but the signs leaving the port indicate that there are no extras. I asked the driver about it and he said I was wrong about the sign at the taxi stand. I just took the "extra" out of his tip.

Just returned from a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale & wanted to caution others of what might be a scam. Our taxi took us the short distance from Port Everglades to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Although the metered fair showed $14.10, when my DH handed the driver $17 to include tip, the driver said that trips to the airport were "a flat $20". I explained that I had never heard that before & his fare should have been posted or stated prior to the trip & also that his meter should not have been on. He also dropped us off at the arrival area instead of the departure area, so that he could pick up a another fare quickly & make his exit. We paid him the $20 & asked for a receipt. He refused to give me a receipt & instead handed me a card with the taxi company phone number on it! No name or employee number! I called the company to report it & ask if the "flat rate" was something new & the lady said the price of the fair was on the meter & knew nothing of "flat rates". She did advise that if this happened in the future, to get the 3 digit number in the rear window of the cab which would identify the driver immediately. I'm hoping that this warning will prevent other cruisers from beg scammed.

Good to know!!! Thanks for the heads up :D

I have had this also. We had 4 people with bags, after loading he says 20$, I knew that was wrong but agreed because he handled all the luggage for 4. The meter at fll said 13 and change, so we figured with tip abound 20 so 20 he got with no extra. If it was just the 2 of us I would tell the guy that we are on the meter and if he balked, get out of the cab.

Also at PE are shuttles they try to get you to take, they say 12$ but its 12 pp so a ride to fll is 24$. Just go past that to the cabs

Edited by setsail

We always ask upfront what the cost to the airport will be. They usually say flat rate of $20.

Sounds like you've been getting ripped-off, especially if you tipped on top of the $20

This is from the Port Everglades website:

taxi

Fare from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to Port Everglades is typically between $10 and $15. If you purchased an air/sea travel package, transfers are usually included. For a taxi from the Port to downtown Fort Lauderdale, expect to pay about $18, depending on your destination.

I wonder if the Port Everglades authority folks, if they were notified this was happening, could somehow intervene and stop this taxi fare scam? :confused: Sure seems like they would highly disapprove of the practice and not want tourists to have this kind of bad experience within their port.

I considered doing this & also notifying Royal Caribbean. I don't think they'd care much. My main reason for this post was to alert others. Thanks for the great idea Merion Mom!

Yes they do that everywhere not just Florida. Back in 2001 I went to Montreal to see a U2 Concert and the friends I were with was to Montreal 100's of times and the cab driver as taking us for a ride and the girl that was very familar with Montreal freaked out it was pretty bad.. I dont mind tipping cab drivers a few bucks long as they arent ripping me off.. I wouldnt give them 20$ for a 12$ cab ride. i am way too stubborn

In the two times I have taken a cab from the port to airport in Port Everglades and just this week in Miami, they had a flat rate in place, but they didn't start the meter. I just paid $23 from Miami port to the airport.

In 2011 I paid a flat rate $17, so $20 doesn't sound too bad. Earlier this year we took a post cruise excursion so we didn't take a cab.

Edited by BillOh

I sort of disagree with this.

At least here, drivers maintain their own cabs and most own them. They have to pay a certain amount to the dispatching company. They pay for their own fuel as well. If they get you there in an expected time frame at an expected cost, you should always tip.

Absolute nonsense.

Thank you for the tip, I am not very good with Cell phone cameras so would have my larger camera handy. I was a little concerned last Sept being alone and taking a cab from Vancouver Intl to my Hotel but all was good.

We often have to take a super early AM taxi from downtown to YVR and never had a problem with price. Haven't heard of any issues around town.

Our Canada Line rapid rail will take you right to YVRs door too, from downtown. A lot cheaper!! Lots of room for luggage, bikes and scooters too! Just doesn't run 24/7 and so for those 6 AM flights we need a taxi.

This I read recently about Porters in FLL----Now, next should be TAXI drivers!!!

Porters at Port Everglades Train for First-Class Customer Service

ON 30 OCTOBER 2013.

More than 800 cruise ship baggage handlers from the International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA) Local #1526 are completing a customized customer service training course in preparation for the 2014 cruise season at Port Everglades. The course teaches customer service excellence, and is designed specifically for porters at Port Everglades and taught by ILA members.

“Our main message is to treat our cruise guests the way that we would want to be treated if we were taking a vacation,” said ILA Local #1526 President Gus Wilkerson III. “Most of this information is common sense, but sometimes we need to be reminded of how the customers feel when they are traveling and our role representing Greater Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, the cruise lines and our fellow members who are all professionals.”

The mandatory training course incorporates circumstances specific to the everyday experiences that porters encounter as they assist cruise guests at Port Everglades. Greetings, attire, body language and dealing with difficult situations and passengers are some of the key topics. There are also sections on safety and security.

ILA Local 1526, chartered in 1937, currently has 840 members. The International Longshoremen's Association, AFL-CIO is the largest union of maritime workers in North America, represents upwards of 65,000 longshoremen on the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, Great Lakes, major U.S. rivers, Puerto Rico and Eastern Canada.