Major changes at Carnival Corp!

indokiwi

Hey Everyone,

This just came across my stock ticker:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stein-kruse-become-ceo-holland-174200104.html

A new group, Holland America Group has been formed, of which Stein Kruse will now oversee HAL, Seabourn, Princess Cruises and the land-based Holland America-Princess Alaska land operations. Interesting reading....

Hey Everyone,

This just came across my stock ticker:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stein-kruse-become-ceo-holland-174200104.html

A new group, Holland America Group has been formed, of which Stein Kruse will now oversee HAL, Seabourn, Princess Cruises and the land-based Holland America-Princess Alaska land operations. Interesting reading....

Thank you for posting. Interesting news.

Exerpts from the announcement.

Stein Kruse To Become CEO Of The Holland America Group

MIAMI, Nov. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) today announced that effective December 1, 2013, Stein Kruse, currently president and CEO of Holland America Line, is being appointed CEO of the Holland America Group, adding Princess Cruises and Holland America Princess Alaska land operations to his current responsibilities of Holland America Line and Seabourn.

Kruse will report to Carnival Corporation & plc President and CEO Arnold Donald.

In his expanded role, effective December 1, Kruse also will replace Micky Arison as chairman of the board of MANCO, the UK-based entity which oversees operations of Carnival Australia including P&O Cruises, the number one cruise line in the Australian market.

The newly created Holland America Group operates 41 cruise ships with over 36,000 employees worldwide who annually deliver 25 million passenger cruise days.

Several key changes and appointments were announced by Carnival Corp today.

1. The "Holland America Group" is created, and in addition to HAL and Seabourn, Princess Cruises, Princess/HAL Alaska Land Tours, P&O Australia, and Carnival Australia will fall under this group. Stein Kruse will lead the Holland America Group under the title of CEO and report to Carnival Corp. President & CEO Arnold Donald.

2. Alan Buckelew, the current current President and CEO of Princess Cruises will take on the new role of COO Carnival Corp., reporting to Carnival Corp. President & CEO Arnold Donald.

3. Jan Swartz, currently EVP Sales & Marketing of Princess Cruises is promoted to President of Princess Cruises, reporting to Stein Kruse the CEO of The Holland America Group.

4. Howard Frank, currently Vice Chairman and COO of Carnival Corp., and Micky Arisons right hand man the past 25 years, will step down from the position. He will stay on in a consulting role as special advisor to the CEO and Chairman of Carnival Corp.

So what is my personal take on all this? In the past Carnival Corp. was well known and regarded for keeping the brands quite separate and pretty much letting them run themselves as individual business units. With this announcement and others in the past, this arrangement seems to be fading out. More and more brands are now combined into a group reporting structure. What the implications are I can't say, but hopefully it's not a further dilution of brand identity.

Ernie

Hopefully, HAL and Princess will implement identical wine policies and wine lists aboard their ships :D

or Princess will be as restrictive as HAL and have a lesser wine list:eek:

Time will tell

So, does that mean that Princess will start going downhill like HAL?

Flame me away, but I think this is a rather harsh statement. Both these lines are very similar already with the exception of several much larger ships on Princess. The comments on the Princess boards about the new Royal Princess are not that great.

So, does that mean that Princess will start going downhill like HAL?

You'll know when you see plastic dishes and glasses in the Lido and paper hand towels (instead of cloth towels) in the public restrooms on HAL ships!

Edited by kjw869

I hope this is good news, maybe they will start combining cruise credits! It would be great to think they will remain distinct lines, while incorporating the best of both in their respective products. We will see......maybe they will become more alike in a negative way. That guy has a big job!

Flame me away, but I think this is a rather harsh statement. Both these lines are very similar already with the exception of several much larger ships on Princess. The comments on the Princess boards about the new Royal Princess are not that great.

I've sailed on both....Princess is definitely not better than HAL. They do have better perks---like internet minutes, however!!

I hope that means the corkage (hopefully coming soon) will be $15, like Princess. But, I won't get my hopes up!

Combinable cruise credits would make me really, really happy. Although if they were to do something like that, the reward levels would probably have to increase substantially. You receive elite captains circle status after 15 cruises, regardless of length. If they were to combine credits, they'd immediately double (or more) their elite members. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. When everybody is elite, nobody is.

Hopefully, HAL and Princess will implement identical wine policies and wine lists aboard their ships :D

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Princess could become "identical" to HAL, while I expect you're hoping for the other way around???

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Princess could become "identical" to HAL, while I expect you're hoping for the other way around???

SSSHHHHHHHHHHH ... :D

I remember being on Princess once and we did not get any chocolates ;)