Alaska "girls' cruise" -- new wine policy -- 2 very different viewpoints

CowPrincess

A few of us are considering doing another 7-day cruise to Alaska, probably in May (ish) 2014.

We have all cruised to Alaska on HAL before. I want us to consider all the lines that go there from Vancouver, in part because of the new wine policy. I'd really like to take along my own wines, even if I need to pay a corkage fee for all but one bottle.

No one else cares about the change in wine policy :eek: and everyone but me wants to only look at the HAL Alaska sailings.

I won't make a big deal out of it, I'll go along with the group decision, but I think it is interesting. (... and I'm the only one of the group who would get a discount on a wine package....)

Well, as someone who cruises to Alaska pretty much every year with HAL.... I can live with the policy for the 7-days because DH doesn't drink wine so I'll have his;) But if I was with a group of girls..... no way, would have to investigate what the other lines allow. I have no problem with reasonable corkage fees, either.

Well, as someone who cruises to Alaska pretty much every year with HAL.... I can live with the policy for the 7-days because DH doesn't drink wine so I'll have his;) But if I was with a group of girls..... no way, would have to investigate what the other lines allow. I have no problem with reasonable corkage fees, either.

Now you've done it!! I can't get the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" song out of my head. :D

A few of us are considering doing another 7-day cruise to Alaska, probably in May (ish) 2014.

We have all cruised to Alaska on HAL before. I want us to consider all the lines that go there from Vancouver, in part because of the new wine policy. I'd really like to take along my own wines, even if I need to pay a corkage fee for all but one bottle.

No one else cares about the change in wine policy :eek: and everyone but me wants to only look at the HAL Alaska sailings.

I won't make a big deal out of it, I'll go along with the group decision, but I think it is interesting. (... and I'm the only one of the group who would get a discount on a wine package....)

Considering both Princess and HAL do Alaska and I think quite well from what I have read on the boards, I would be tempted to look at both :D

I like bringing wine on board as well (and would pay a corkage fee). I'm not sure how good the options are for wine for an Alaskan cruise - and, since it is only 7 days - I would probably go along with the group too and I admire you for being willing to go along with the them:D

But it might be worth checking as you might find a) better pricing and b) a better wine selection and the option to bring some on board:D

And yes, like you we get a good discount on the wine packages too. It's just a matter of choice IMO:D

edited to say - what a nice avatar to remember those who fought for our freedom!

Edited by kazu

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks that having the wine I want (not that HAL wants me to have) is a problem.

I can already hear one of the group kvetching, once onboard, about the mediocre wines on the wine list. And making noise all 7 days about "would be nice if you could have picked wines for us, CP". Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I usually manage to get some good ones ;)

I guess that in the grander scheme of things, they are quite happy with HAL and don't put as much emphasis on the wine as you do. They are avoiding the risk of moving to a possibly inferior cruise for the sake of saving money on a few bottles of wine.

I'd consider the options, but some stick with what they know and like.

Considering both Princess and HAL do Alaska and I think quite well from what I have read on the boards, I would be tempted to look at both :D

I like bringing wine on board as well (and would pay a corkage fee). I'm not sure how good the options are for wine for an Alaskan cruise - and, since it is only 7 days - I would probably go along with the group too and I admire you for being willing to go along with the them:D

But it might be worth checking as you might find a) better pricing and b) a better wine selection and the option to bring some on board:D

And yes, like you we get a good discount on the wine packages too. It's just a matter of choice IMO:D

Pacific Princess sails from Vancouver on 7 day rt. I'd be happy to be on a little ship, I think. We need to sail from Vancouver, from Canada Place.

Re the wine options in Vancouver -- I've had good success with the wine shop in Sutton Place. A really decent selection of Chilean and Argentinian wines, which would be just fine :D

Pacific Princess sails from Vancouver on 7 day rt. I'd be happy to be on a little ship, I think. We need to sail from Vancouver, from Canada Place.

Re the wine options in Vancouver -- I've had good success with the wine shop in Sutton Place. A really decent selection of Chilean and Argentinian wines, which would be just fine :D

Oh my, while I am not a fan of Princess generally speaking, love their smaller ships - I'd be taking a hard look at the Pacific Princess for sure;)

Thanks for the tip on Vancouver - we love Argentinian wines ( as well as some of the Chilean ones):)

I guess that in the grander scheme of things, they are quite happy with HAL and don't put as much emphasis on the wine as you do. They are avoiding the risk of moving to a possibly inferior cruise for the sake of saving money on a few bottles of wine.

I'd consider the options, but some stick with what they know and like.

Truly, for me, an Alaska cruise is about Alaska much more than about the ship (any ship).

And it isn't about "saving money on a few bottles of wine". I know some people have difficulty understanding that, so let me try to demonstrate.

Point 1

If the purpose of drinking was to get a "buzz", it'd be a LOT cheaper to buy a 1 litre bottle of hard alcohol and drink it in my cabin. Lots of the 1 litre bottles for in-cabin consumption are less money than one bottle of wine. Figure you can get 25 (???) really strong mixed drinks out of a 1 litre bottle. Or 5 glasses of wine from a bottle of wine. So, for a "buzz", and for saving money, hard alcohol is the way to go.

Point 2

I get a 25% discount on wine packages. I can get wine less expensively by buying a wine package than by purchasing wine onshore and paying a corkage fee. I prefer to have my preferred/known wines.

Truly, for me, an Alaska cruise is about Alaska much more than about the ship (any ship).

And it isn't about "saving money on a few bottles of wine". I know some people have difficulty understanding that, so let me try to demonstrate.

Point 1

If the purpose of drinking was to get a "buzz", it'd be a LOT cheaper to buy a 1 litre bottle of hard alcohol and drink it in my cabin. Lots of the 1 litre bottles for in-cabin consumption are less money than one bottle of wine. Figure you can get 25 (???) really strong mixed drinks out of a 1 litre bottle. Or 5 glasses of wine from a bottle of wine. So, for a "buzz", and for saving money, hard alcohol is the way to go.

Point 2

I get a 25% discount on wine packages. I can get wine less expensively by buying a wine package than by purchasing wine onshore and paying a corkage fee. I prefer to have my preferred/known wines.

Exactly! Well stated.

Point 1

Point 2

Your Point 2:

We get 50% off the wine packages and stopped bothering. Even at that very generous discount, we don't find anything reasonably priced or reasonably drinkable. I know, tastes differ, but really. the packages wines are a poor selection. We prefer to like what we order!

Hope you have a great cruise!

Your Point 2:

We get 50% off the wine packages and stopped bothering. Even at that very generous discount, we don't find anything reasonably priced or reasonably drinkable. I know, tastes differ, but really. the packages wines are a poor selection. We prefer to like what we order!

Hope you have a great cruise!

We agree about the wine packages. We have 50% discount and the one time we purchased the admiral's package, there were no wines in stock that were offered that we wanted. We asked for and received a refund as we selected not one bottle from their choices.

However, we do find wines on the wine lists that we order that are not a part of the packages.

And it isn't about "saving money on a few bottles of wine".

Sorry, CowPrincess, but you are the one who made several references to the wine issue in your initial post. In fact, three of your four paragraphs address it. You even say that you want to consider other lines "in part because of the new wine policy." So I'd say that it is reasonable for someone who doesn't know you to infer that wine costs are important for you.

Isn't there someone in your group or someone that you know from CC that is taking the cruise who could bring a couple of bottles onboard for you! That way you could have your seven day cruise and the wine of your choice. All you would have to get is two people and you would have 6 bottles.

Isn't there someone in your group or someone that you know from CC that is taking the cruise who could bring a couple of bottles onboard for you! That way you could have your seven day cruise and the wine of your choice. All you would have to get is two people and you would have 6 bottles.

That's an interesting suggestion.

I wonder if roll calls are doing that.

Perhaps non-drinkers/non-wine drinkers would offer to carry aboard a few bottles for someone else. They could arrange in advance where to meet and the 'wine drinker' could hand over a few bottles to be carried onto the the ship. :) :D

I see no reason to close off the option of other cruise lines without even considering what they have to offer. It's not as if considering equals a commitment.

And don't forget, if you want Vancouver as a departure port, it doesn't have to be Canada Place (although it's lovely there). Ballentyne Pier also has Alaska-bound ships sailing from there.

I most certainly do understand where you are coming from in wanting to consider the new HAL wine policy.

Should you decide to book on HAL, please consider the Volendam in August. Not only would I get a chance to meet you, which I would love to do, but I would bring on a bottle of your wine!

Sorry, CowPrincess, but you are the one who made several references to the wine issue in your initial post. In fact, three of your four paragraphs address it. You even say that you want to consider other lines "in part because of the new wine policy." So I'd say that it is reasonable for someone who doesn't know you to infer that wine costs are important for you.

Nowhere in my initial post did I refer to "cost". Interesting that you interpreted it as such, though. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify!

The "group" drinks wine, so will probably each bring on their allowance for personal use :) Interesting idea, though.

I see no reason to close off the option of other cruise lines without even considering what they have to offer. It's not as if considering equals a commitment.

And don't forget, if you want Vancouver as a departure port, it doesn't have to be Canada Place (although it's lovely there). Ballentyne Pier also has Alaska-bound ships sailing from there.

I most certainly do understand where you are coming from in wanting to consider the new HAL wine policy.

Should you decide to book on HAL, please consider the Volendam in August. Not only would I get a chance to meet you, which I would love to do, but I would bring on a bottle of your wine!

Thanks for the August invitation! We are all fairly committed to May, though. And I truly appreciate your offer of bringing wine :D You could have ALL my pillow chocolates!

As for Ballantyne, nope, no way. Some of us have mobility problems, and some of us have "coping" problems. As the only one in the group who can both walk and cope, I've decided -- it has to be from Canada Place. I would very quickly lose my coping ability if I had to manage the entire group, and keep everyone moving AND calm :D

Thanks for the August invitation! We are all fairly committed to May, though. And I truly appreciate your offer of bringing wine :D You could have ALL my pillow chocolates!

As for Ballantyne, nope, no way. Some of us have mobility problems, and some of us have "coping" problems. As the only one in the group who can both walk and cope, I've decided -- it has to be from Canada Place. I would very quickly lose my coping ability if I had to manage the entire group, and keep everyone moving AND calm :D

Ballantyne is only used when there is no room at Canada Place. In fact, I'm not sure if it was used at all during the 2013 season, but others may know for sure.

Yes, this. Not everyone seems to understand that. Thank you!

I fully understand...especially after our most recent cruise. We were in Italy, France, Spain, and the Azores. I bought wine in each and every port...and loved visiting a vineyard in Tuscany on one of our tours. We bought some fabulous wines...toward the end of the cruise, the wine steward (who had opened our wine in the MDR) gave me a taste of some they were trying to "get rid of". Yuck. What I bought was far superior...and it was fun to shop for it and compare. It's not about the $$$...why do some folks assume that???

Edited by innlady1