Alaska "girls' cruise" -- new wine policy -- 2 very different viewpoints

CowPrincess

I fully understand...especially after our most recent cruise. We were in Italy, France, Spain, and the Azores. I bought wine in each and every port...and loved visiting a vineyard in Tuscany on one of our tours. We bought some fabulous wines...toward the end of the cruise, the wine steward (who had opened our wine in the MDR) gave me a taste of some they were trying to "get rid of". Yuck. What I bought was far superior...and it was fun to shop for it and compare. It's not about the $$$...why do some folks assume that???

I think some people use the "$$$"/cheap/tightwad/2 buck chuck" argument(s) to attempt to marginalize those of us who DO care about being able to bring wine aboard. If those people slam us for being cheap, or whatever, then in their minds they are winning the argument, possibly?

edited to add: Giving us a "label" might also be an attempt to influence other posters to disregard our opinions.

Edited by CowPrincess

The "group" drinks wine, so will probably each bring on their allowance for personal use :) Interesting idea, though.

Sails suggestion of asking the CC roll call before you book is an excellent suggestion. I am sure that there must be some non drinkers in the group.

Sails suggestion of asking the CC roll call before you book is an excellent suggestion. I am sure that there must be some non drinkers in the group.

I would never ask a stranger to bring wine aboard for me. Seems like an imposition, and seems like there's a possibility it would put the person I asked in an awkward position.

I would never ask a stranger to bring wine aboard for me. Seems like an imposition, and seems like there's a possibility it would put the person I asked in an awkward position.

ITA. As much as I dislike the new wine policy, I would never ask a stranger to do that for me. LOL...I'd rather try to smuggle it than do that!

Edited by innlady1

I guess, I thought you had been on CC so long that you would know some of the people in your roll call well enough to ask?

I guess, I thought you had been on CC so long that you would know some of the people in your roll call well enough to ask?

I think even if you know people well, it would be hard to ask them to do something like that. Whereas, on my next cruise one of my cruise buddies (sapper!!) has already offered to carry wine onboard for me.:D She offered and I will take her up on it!! Good friends do things like that, and she's a treasure.

ITA. As much as I dislike the new wine policy, I would never ask a stranger to do that for me. LOL...I'd rather try to smuggle it than do that!

I agree. I wouldn't want to impose on someone either - even if I 'knew' them from cc and other cruises. If they offered, it might be a different scenario, but I would feel uncomfortable to ask.

I think even if you know people well, it would be hard to ask them to do something like that. Whereas, on my next cruise one of my cruise buddies (sapper!!) has already offered to carry wine onboard for me.:D She offered and I will take her up on it!! Good friends do things like that, and she's a treasure.

Awww, shucks. :)

Ballantyne is only used when there is no room at Canada Place. In fact, I'm not sure if it was used at all during the 2013 season, but others may know for sure.

Don't know if Ballantyne was used for any Alaska Cruises in 2013, but it was used a couple of times in September by NCL. We were on a Coastal on the Jewel and left from Ballantyne. I had dreaded it, but other than being further from the downtown area and not within walking distance, it was not bad . Refurbished several years ago and quite nice inside.

I don't think HAL or Princess go out of Ballantyne. But you can always check the port schedules to make sure.

Hey CP - so happy you may be making it back to Alaska next year! If you DO go in May (no matter which cruiseline you choose), check to see if the Amsterdam will share any ports with you. I'm on the May 18th sailing and would love to meet up with you in port if our schedules coincide. Can't comment on the wine issue, I don't drink wine, but if our port schedules coincide, I'd be happy to bring a bottle on board for you:D and pass it off to you if we were fortunate enough to meet up!

I often don't join roll calls. There are a few people on CC that I sort-of know, and might ask them if they were on the same cruise, but I'd be extremely uncomfortable asking a more-or-less stranger to tote wine for me :) When someone offers, though, (as several have in this thread), I'd be happy to take them up on it.

Hey CP - so happy you may be making it back to Alaska next year! If you DO go in May (no matter which cruiseline you choose), check to see if the Amsterdam will share any ports with you. I'm on the May 18th sailing and would love to meet up with you in port if our schedules coincide. Can't comment on the wine issue, I don't drink wine, but if our port schedules coincide, I'd be happy to bring a bottle on board for you:D and pass it off to you if we were fortunate enough to meet up!

AIP, it would be WONDERFUL to finally meet you. No wine required ;) You're doing the 14-day right? I am pea-green with envy. Of course, if we were to sell this house, it'd be a GOOD possibility for me. Otherwise, not happenin' I fear :(

Have been really thinking about people volunteering to carry wine onboard. I don't know if someone volunteered, I'd be able to take them up on it. I wonder how that would be handled in the MDR .... a passenger showing up every couple of nights with another bottle of wine, to be charged corkage. The new policy, as it is now, will be ONE bottle of wine, that MAY be consumed in public with the payment of corkage. So what would happen if it became obvious that somebody had more than one bottle of wine?

To me, it seems as though I'd be circumventing HAL's new rules by accepting an offer of carrying wine aboard. The volunteer wouldn't be, IMHO. But I would be, seeing as I'd be the one benefitting.

I'd be very interested in others' thoughts on this......

Have been really thinking about people volunteering to carry wine onboard. I don't know if someone volunteered, I'd be able to take them up on it. I wonder how that would be handled in the MDR .... a passenger showing up every couple of nights with another bottle of wine, to be charged corkage. The new policy, as it is now, will be ONE bottle of wine, that MAY be consumed in public with the payment of corkage. So what would happen if it became obvious that somebody had more than one bottle of wine?

To me, it seems as though I'd be circumventing HAL's new rules by accepting an offer of carrying wine aboard. The volunteer wouldn't be, IMHO. But I would be, seeing as I'd be the one benefitting.

I'd be very interested in others' thoughts on this......

The way I see it CP, is that they would have no way of knowing that your subsequent bottles were not gifts from other passengers. There is certainly no rule about that.

We will be taking two bottles on our next cruise and will be very generously giving them to Startwin and her husband.;) The overall number of bottles brought aboard will not change regardless of who consumes them. As long as HAL receives the corkage fee I am sure they won't care who pays it.

The way I see it CP, is that they would have no way of knowing that your subsequent bottles were not gifts from other passengers. There is certainly no rule about that.

We will be taking two bottles on our next cruise and will be very generously giving them to Startwin and her husband.;) The overall number of bottles brought aboard will not change regardless of who consumes them. As long as HAL receives the corkage fee I am sure they won't care who pays it.

I agree with sapper..... as long as HAL collects the corkage fee, they don't care where it came from. Every passenger is entitled to bring a bottle onboard - HAL cannot decide who drinks it once it gets there.:D And show me the wine waiter who would dispute who the bottle of wine belongs to, LOL.

I agree with sapper..... as long as HAL collects the corkage fee, they don't care where it came from. Every passenger is entitled to bring a bottle onboard - HAL cannot decide who drinks it once it gets there.:D And show me the wine waiter who would dispute who the bottle of wine belongs to, LOL.

Got that right. Usually just getting them to serve it is beyond their ability.