"LIVE" (hopefully?) from Allure of the Seas, November 10th, 2013

Hi CC fans!

I have decided to post “Live” (hopefully) this coming week from the Allure of the Seas. I have been looking forward to this trip for almost a year, and have spent countless hours poring over the many Allure reviews. The photos and commentary, tips and advice have been so helpful—Every review had me more excited to experience this ship for the first time! So, for those of you planning an Allure trip soon, I’ll attempt to provide a daily fix of photos and info. Ask away if you have any specific questions that come to mind while I’m onboard! I’ll do my best to answer.

I’ve done a couple reviews after I’ve returned and have never considered doing a live review before. Who wants to be tied to their devises, uploading pictures, and paying for expensive internet packages when you’re on the vacation of a lifetime???

Well, me I guess—but a few factors weighed into my decision process for this “live”review.

#1-Merry Christmas (a bit early) to me!!!! Santa got me a new iPad! So, no dragging around a laptop or running back to my cabin to post photos and commentary. This little guy, paired with my iPhone 5, will follow me anywhere on the ship!

#2-I discovered that the Photobucket app for the iPad is fairly intuitive, and only took me a few tries (ok, maybe more than a few) in the Photo and Camera discussion thread to get an actual picture to post.

#3-I already have to purchase an internet package for a bazillion dollars (less my Diamond discount paperless coupon, I hope) because DD is missing a few days of school on this trip, and needs to access homework and her text books on her school iPad through the school’s digital locker via WiFi. I’m sure she won’t mind sharing these valuable minutes, and in fact with probably be thrilled to death if I boot her off for a half hour or so, and send her down to the pool.

#4-My memory isn’t what is used to be since I turned the big 5-0. Reading my old reviews is like reliving those vacations all over again. I am excited about this trip and want a means to remember it all. If I wait until I get back, unpack, and go back to work, I may not even remember what ship I was on….

So, there you have it. The stars are all aligned, and thus begins my live report.

I am leading the cast of characters on this adventure -- “Niksmom630”, a.k.a. Chris, traveling with my DH, and my DD who is 14.

Also joining us on this trip is my DBIL, (solo cruiser) and another couple accompanied by their two daughters, ages 14 and 11 (newbies—first cruise ever!)

PRE-CRUISE PLANNING

The Cabin—We have booked a hump Jr. Suite on deck six. From what I have read, I should be pleased as punch with this location, and enjoy a larger balcony with two loungers. DBIL is in the Jr. Suite next to ours. If the balcony divider is opened, it should be gi-normous!!!! I’ll report back on this.

The Entertainment—I don’t go to shows anymore. Ever. Been there. Done that. However, the rave reviews about the entertainment on Allure made me rethink my position. I have pre-booked; Oceanaria (Day 1 as the recommended by BillOh) , Blue Planet, the Comedy Club and the Ice Show. Guess this will mean less time at the three card poker table in the evenings, and my wallet will be thanking me later.

Pre Cruise Stay—living in the Midwest, we always fly out a day early. We will be staying at the Embassy Suites 17th Street for one night. I would love to proudly report on what a great deal I got on the price of this hotel, but sadly—I cannot. I wish I could throw all caution to the wind and bid a bargain basement price for any 3 -4 star hotel room and roll the dice. Who isn’t a tad jealous of all those posters who pay $50 for a $300 hotel room??? I know I am, but I’ve resigned myself to paying a bit extra to keep the control freak in me at peace. I hope to be able to see the Oasis sail away from my balcony, and may even set my alarm to see Allure come in on Sunday morning as well.

Dining—I have not made any specialty restaurant reservations, and will likely be eating in the MDR each evening. I know, BORING…..But, our traveling companions are trying to keep their expenses under control, and honestly, I’ve never had a bad meal in the MDR. I will be making an effort to try all the other “free” dining venues on this ship. Maybe I’ll even hit the Windjammer for dinner. Trainman has me convinced to try it one of these days.

Beverage Packages—I waffled on purchasing a premium beverage/alcohol packages. Looking back at all my ship charge receipts, it seems like this would be a break even thing for us. Although, we almost always travel with a large group, and take turns buying drinks, so it’s a bit hard to tell exactly how much the two of us are personally consuming. Also, I started thinking about what a pain in the butt it would be to always have to get up and get my own drinks, instead of sending DH to get me one from the comfort of my pool lounger. (I can say what I want here, because he’s not on cruise critic!!!) In the end, I decided to pass on the package -- this time. Since our friends have opted to purchase the package, we’ll know for certain by the end of the week if our alcohol consumption warrants purchasing the package for our cruise in February. We aren’t big soda drinkers, so we won’t be purchasing one of those packages either.

Excursions—None. The ship will be my destination for 7 full days. So, as long as Allure is still floating, with power, bar service and food—I’m a happy camper. I realize the reported propulsion issue has many people upset and concerned (to varying degrees), so I’ll be happy to report back any itinerary changes one we board. Actually, I have to admit I was a bit distressed myself, since less time in ports means everyone else can’t get off, and then I can’t have the ship all to myself!!! This may warrant a trip to guest services with a demand for some onboard credit, since I wasn’t planning on sharing the ship with 6000 others for several more hours than RCI had originally promised me!!!! KIDDING, folks…..I understand this is a bigger deal for those trying to plan excursions….For me, meh….not so much…..

While we have nothing formally planned, I do however, intend to erase one “to do” off my bucket list, and that will mean a trip to Maho Beach in St. Maarten

Well, that’s all for now, folks. Still packing, and our limo arrives at 0’dark thirty in the morning. I thought about posting a few pictures of my packed luggage (YAWN!!!), but instead I’ll try something different…….

Hey, looking forward to this and thanks for doing it, because as many of us know you may be one of the first to report back on the latest regarding the potential itinerary impacts due to Allure's infamous propulsion issues, or specifically whether they are continuing for another eastern sailing. I'll definitely be checking in on Sunday & Monday, as we'll be doing the next eastern sailing after yours (Thanksgiving cruise) and are anxiously awaiting the updates. :cool:

One word WOW!!

You have yourself a wonderful cruise and you be sure I be checking here all the time all week, thankfully I don't work so I can lol.

A few things I like to ask if you just happen to notice:

I have to be gluten free so in the buffet lunches can you see if they have a daily meat carving and a good salad bar along with veggies with no sauces?

Im just asking...if you can take a photo of the menu for dinner nightly you may be able to do this on your tv is your available to do it.

If you don't mind can you see what there is available to eat past 11pm besides room service, we never sit in our rooms at night especially waiting for food.

I always use the Hilton Marina there on 17th street but thinking of the Embassy suites if you take a photo of the room that be nice to see.

I am dying to hear how the drink package (alcohol) is, if there are restrictions such as how many drinks you can get per day and if there are restricitons on premium liquor and such.

I heard they have happy hour specials if you stumble upon these maybe you can mention in the review.

I also wonder what the price of martini's, jack and cokes and mojitos are, wondering whether the package is worth it but on the Breakaway this June we really got our monies worth.

If you don't do live that's fine a nice review be nice when you get back.

Oh you sooo lucky enjoy your trip!! Bon Voyage.:D

Edited by lyndamr

Just got off a B2B on the Allure on 11/3 and you now have an unlimited internet package available for $179 (less if you have Crown & Anchor discount)

This allows one device to use your user name and password at any given time. So all of your devices can use the one user name, just only one at a time.

I signed up for the last three days only and posted up a huge number of pictures to my photobucket, just set them to go and left my phone plugged in at the cabin. Took awhile but they all went up.

No more counting the minutes/dollars!

niksmom630 - Anything you can report back regarding announced Itinerary changes would be GREAT! Also, any info wrt Royal adjusting excursions to fit Itinerary changes.

Enjoy your cruise! Looking forward to your review!

ken

Subscribing! Love reading about Allure. She's a special ship, for sure!

We had a hump JS on deck 9 -- it was huge! Wait until you see that walk-in closet. Maybe things have changed, but we had no loungers on our balcony, though. We did the year later on Oasis. Hope things have changed for you and you get the loungers.

Report back!

Wahoo! Thanks for bringing us along "Live" with you. This will help get me by this next week until I board her when you get off! I'll be doing a "Live" from too, I'll try to pick the party back up from when you left off on the 17th. :)

Thanks again!

Now 3 live threads awesome

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Hi CC fans!

I have decided to post “Live” (hopefully) this coming week from the Allure of the Seas. I have been looking forward to this trip for almost a year, and have spent countless hours poring over the many Allure reviews. The photos and commentary, tips and advice have been so helpful—Every review had me more excited to experience this ship for the first time! So, for those of you planning an Allure trip soon, I’ll attempt to provide a daily fix of photos and info. Ask away if you have any specific questions that come to mind while I’m onboard! I’ll do my best to answer.

I’ve done a couple reviews after I’ve returned and have never considered doing a live review before. Who wants to be tied to their devises, uploading pictures, and paying for expensive internet packages when you’re on the vacation of a lifetime???

Well, me I guess—but a few factors weighed into my decision process for this “live”review.

#1-Merry Christmas (a bit early) to me!!!! Santa got me a new iPad! So, no dragging around a laptop or running back to my cabin to post photos and commentary. This little guy, paired with my iPhone 5, will follow me anywhere on the ship!

#2-I discovered that the Photobucket app for the iPad is fairly intuitive, and only took me a few tries (ok, maybe more than a few) in the Photo and Camera discussion thread to get an actual picture to post.

#3-I already have to purchase an internet package for a bazillion dollars (less my Diamond discount paperless coupon, I hope) because DD is missing a few days of school on this trip, and needs to access homework and her text books on her school iPad through the school’s digital locker via WiFi. I’m sure she won’t mind sharing these valuable minutes, and in fact with probably be thrilled to death if I boot her off for a half hour or so, and send her down to the pool.

#4-My memory isn’t what is used to be since I turned the big 5-0. Reading my old reviews is like reliving those vacations all over again. I am excited about this trip and want a means to remember it all. If I wait until I get back, unpack, and go back to work, I may not even remember what ship I was on….

So, there you have it. The stars are all aligned, and thus begins my live report.

I am leading the cast of characters on this adventure -- “Niksmom630”, a.k.a. Chris, traveling with my DH, and my DD who is 14.

Also joining us on this trip is my DBIL, (solo cruiser) and another couple accompanied by their two daughters, ages 14 and 11 (newbies—first cruise ever!)

PRE-CRUISE PLANNING

The Cabin—We have booked a hump Jr. Suite on deck six. From what I have read, I should be pleased as punch with this location, and enjoy a larger balcony with two loungers. DBIL is in the Jr. Suite next to ours. If the balcony divider is opened, it should be gi-normous!!!! I’ll report back on this.

The Entertainment—I don’t go to shows anymore. Ever. Been there. Done that. However, the rave reviews about the entertainment on Allure made me rethink my position. I have pre-booked; Oceanaria (Day 1 as the recommended by BillOh) , Blue Planet, the Comedy Club and the Ice Show. Guess this will mean less time at the three card poker table in the evenings, and my wallet will be thanking me later.

Pre Cruise Stay—living in the Midwest, we always fly out a day early. We will be staying at the Embassy Suites 17th Street for one night. I would love to proudly report on what a great deal I got on the price of this hotel, but sadly—I cannot. I wish I could throw all caution to the wind and bid a bargain basement price for any 3 -4 star hotel room and roll the dice. Who isn’t a tad jealous of all those posters who pay $50 for a $300 hotel room??? I know I am, but I’ve resigned myself to paying a bit extra to keep the control freak in me at peace. I hope to be able to see the Oasis sail away from my balcony, and may even set my alarm to see Allure come in on Sunday morning as well.

Dining—I have not made any specialty restaurant reservations, and will likely be eating in the MDR each evening. I know, BORING…..But, our traveling companions are trying to keep their expenses under control, and honestly, I’ve never had a bad meal in the MDR. I will be making an effort to try all the other “free” dining venues on this ship. Maybe I’ll even hit the Windjammer for dinner. Trainman has me convinced to try it one of these days.

Beverage Packages—I waffled on purchasing a premium beverage/alcohol packages. Looking back at all my ship charge receipts, it seems like this would be a break even thing for us. Although, we almost always travel with a large group, and take turns buying drinks, so it’s a bit hard to tell exactly how much the two of us are personally consuming. Also, I started thinking about what a pain in the butt it would be to always have to get up and get my own drinks, instead of sending DH to get me one from the comfort of my pool lounger. (I can say what I want here, because he’s not on cruise critic!!!) In the end, I decided to pass on the package -- this time. Since our friends have opted to purchase the package, we’ll know for certain by the end of the week if our alcohol consumption warrants purchasing the package for our cruise in February. We aren’t big soda drinkers, so we won’t be purchasing one of those packages either.

Excursions—None. The ship will be my destination for 7 full days. So, as long as Allure is still floating, with power, bar service and food—I’m a happy camper. I realize the reported propulsion issue has many people upset and concerned (to varying degrees), so I’ll be happy to report back any itinerary changes one we board. Actually, I have to admit I was a bit distressed myself, since less time in ports means everyone else can’t get off, and then I can’t have the ship all to myself!!! This may warrant a trip to guest services with a demand for some onboard credit, since I wasn’t planning on sharing the ship with 6000 others for several more hours than RCI had originally promised me!!!! KIDDING, folks…..I understand this is a bigger deal for those trying to plan excursions….For me, meh….not so much…..

While we have nothing formally planned, I do however, intend to erase one “to do” off my bucket list, and that will mean a trip to Maho Beach in St. Maarten

Well, that’s all for now, folks. Still packing, and our limo arrives at 0’dark thirty in the morning. I thought about posting a few pictures of my packed luggage (YAWN!!!), but instead I’ll try something different…….

We were in Maho Beach three weeks ago. My best advice...get there as early as possible. Lounge chairs are $10 each including an umbrella. Willy is the beach server...awesome dude! Food is a little pricey, drinks are very reasonable. The planes coming in are so cool. Check the surfboard for times of flights and. HAVE FUN!

Would love to follow along but starting Monday I will be doing my own live blog for my Legend cruise through the Panama Canal. Too bad as I would love to see another live blog from Allure, it is such a fantastic ship. We had a JS on deck 6 back in May and loved it, great location.

Have fun but watch out, live blogging is addictive. :D

Bill

Looking forward to your review. We live in Chicago and are going on Allure Thanksgiving 2014. My DH was thinking of Embassy as a pre cruise stay. Will look forward to your thoughts. Have a wonderful week! Hopefully other issues will be cleared up by then.

Barb

Looking forward to your live postings. I will be going on the Alllure in June. I still have 231 days to wait until I can board her. This will help pass the time, and build the excitement.

You should enjoy the Embassy. We always stay there when we cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. The full, cooked breakfast in the morning before the cruise is great. A nice beginning to your cruise. Also, the manager's reception in the evening, consists of free drinks (tipping accepted/expected) and light snacks - chips, pretzels and popcorn. They also have a few computers available in the lobby that are free and available to use, that have internet connections.l

Enjoy.

Chris- thanks for doing the LIVE! I can't follow it all because we leave next week for Jewel, but I will subscribe for when I get back.

You made a good choice on the shows- I , like you, find most of the production shows just ho hum and either skip them all together or sit in the balcony for a quick getaway if I've got nothing else to do. But the Oasis class shows are a cut above! Enjoy!

Edited by Familygoboston