Philippines Typhoon

Lady Lexus

We were on board the Golden Princess and wifey is from Philippines. She met many crew members from Philippines and truly enjoyed conversing with them. She is praying for all her friend, family members, neighbors and folks of Philippines for their safety, security and well being. Right now it is estimated the death toll is 1000 people - 1200 people. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/world/asia/philippines-typhoon.html?_r=0

Edited by faiz23

We just got home from the Oct 24th Golden cruise. Our waiter, Willey, was supposed to leave for home the following week. I don't know if he made it.

Our DIL is from Phils. Her family lives south, in Mindanao. They are safe, but they have really heavy rains.

Pat

you know I dont think there has ever been a more appropriate posting on this board! I also have met so many phillipino waiters, stewards, and bartenders, etc. who were such a credit to there profession. it is all because of "you" that I have such warm feelings for your country. I pray for each of you and your families to escape the wrath of this latest storm

james & christine

We too have had the opportunity to meet many from the area while on the Princess ships. To think they are working very hard every day to make our trips memorable experiences and their family is back home. I am sure they are all trying to reach them. Wonder if Princess is doing anything to help them at least get calls out to find out how their families are doing!

Thank you for starting this thread. Prayers go out to everyone who has been touched in some way by this horrible storm. May God be with us all!

What a horrible tragedy indeed. My co-worker was just there last week because her Father had a heart attack. She came home and reported that he was going to be fine...then this?! And the wonderful crew/staff we have met on all our cruises? It's just so hard to imagine. We're the praying type and we are doing our best.

Our prayers to God's ears.

Will any of the Princess ships in the neighbourhood be taking supplies to the stricken areas if they have time and are any going towards Vietnam where the Typhoon is headed?

Looking at the Princess cams only the Diamond en route to Malaysia is currently anywhere near the Philippines or Vietnam. The US Navy's aircraft carrier USS George Washington is homeported in Yokosuka Japan & may be an option to provide emergency relief to victims.

I know that in 2009 the Star provided supplies after the Samoa quake & tsunami but no ships are currently near the affected areas. I was on an aircraft carrier on the fringes of a typhoon which was so rough that water splashed up onto the flight deck where I worked...quite a sight! :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have just had an email from our TA advising that in honour of their clients they have made a donation to Red Cross to aid the devastated people in the Philippines and will match any of their clients donations to a certain level....any other TA's out there want to meet or beat this?

We are also sending our prayers, especially for the wonderful crew members we’ve met over our 5 years of cruising.

I have e-mailed several offices at Princess, regarding support for their crew members, and was informed, by reply, that Princess and their foundation is donating $200K to the relief fund, and possibly setting up donation facilities for passengers aboard their ships.

Good for Princess Cruise Lines.

Cato:)

I find it amazing that an event such as this has got so little attention in this forum. Lives of crew members and their families have been lost....all they own has been destroyed and a thread on "Port Shopping" gets more attention then this event. Perhaps that tells about where Princess cruisers heads and hearts are....I hope not.

I find it amazing that an event such as this has got so little attention in this forum. Lives of crew members and their families have been lost....all they own has been destroyed and a thread on "Port Shopping" gets more attention then this event. Perhaps that tells about where Princess cruisers heads and hearts are....I hope not.

There have been three threads on this in the past two days. Plus, tragedies happen every day, big and small; I don't know what purpose a thread here on a cruise-line forum serves. Anyway, 90% of the posts' contents are just some version of "thoughts and prayers." For actual constructive help, the Red Cross website is probably of more use than Cruise Critic.

There have been three threads on this in the past two days. Plus, tragedies happen every day, big and small; I don't know what purpose a thread here on a cruise-line forum serves. Anyway, 90% of the posts' contents are just some version of "thoughts and prayers." For actual constructive help, the Red Cross website is probably of more use than Cruise Critic.

And a post concerning a man going overboard from the Grand now has 20 posts....but I do agree with your comment re the Red Cross.