Groups on your cruise - Should Princess tell you ahead of time?

S&M in Pgh

Should Princess tell you when a group has more than 10% of the cabins on your cruise?  

510 members have voted

1. 1. Should Princess tell you when a group has more than 10% of the cabins on your cruise?

• Yes
    • No

I think that if dining rooms, entertainment venues or other areas will be blocked off to regular passengers they should be informed in advance.

YES EXTACTLY. I wouldn't really mind a large group, UNLESS they were given special treatment like 'saved seating', because then it would be ENCROACHING on my rights as a paying customer.

Thank you. Spingal, I don't have a problem with this group, or any other group ,as long as our cruise is not disrupted by the people involved. We were part of a Dixeyland music group years ago and people not registered as part of the group were denied access to events. They were very upset and I don't blame them. I don't want that happening to us and our family that will be joining us.

I cruised with this group years ago. Public rooms were closed at times for their use. And they do take over some of the pools. For me it wasn't really an issue but I do know that some people will not cruise with them because of the size of their group. So just be prepared that you could be impacted.

Edited by spingal

We cruised with 800 Bears in November 2013. Did they impact our cruise? Absolutely.

We were on a B2B2B. They were on our middle leg. We had to move from the Tradional MDR to Anytime because the Bears had the whole MDR for the evening. The Retreat pool on the Royal Princess was completely taken over. Could we still go out there? Sure. Was there anywhere to sit? No. Did I really want to view way too many displays of affection that should take place in your cabin? No. Because I knew the Bears would be on the cruise, I was able to book the Sanctuary for the week. :D

Unfortunately, there were so many people complaining nonstop the whole week that it changed the entire atmosphere of the cruise. Because this was the middle leg of three cruises, this change was starkly evident.

Were the guys nice? Absolutely. But 800 of any group changes a ship's dynamic.

Cheers, Denise

I cruised with this group years ago. Public rooms were closed at times for their use. And they do take over some of the pools. For me it wasn't really an issue but I do know that some people will not cruise with them because of the size of their group. So just be prepared that you could be impacted.

We cruised with 800 Bears in November 2013. Did they impact our cruise? Absolutely.

We were on a B2B2B. They were on our middle leg. We had to move from the Tradional MDR to Anytime because the Bears had the whole MDR for the evening. The Retreat pool on the Royal Princess was completely taken over. Could we still go out there? Sure. Was there anywhere to sit? No. Did I really want to view way too many displays of affection that should take place in your cabin? No. Because I knew the Bears would be on the cruise, I was able to book the Sanctuary for the week. :D

Unfortunately, there were so many people complaining nonstop the whole week that it changed the entire atmosphere of the cruise. Because this was the middle leg of three cruises, this change was starkly evident.

Were the guys nice? Absolutely. But 800 of any group changes a ship's dynamic.

Cheers, Denise

We cruised with this group as well (twice/Emerald). I agree with the above.

I think once they reach about 25% then may impact the other guests and they should tell us. I was on an Alaskan cruise with several hour from an East Indian tour and it wasn't an issue at all but the only adjustment made for the group was food which suited me just fine. If I was on a ship with a larger group of teens that would be a different story, particularly if I was traveling without my kids for an adult vacation.

I just gotta ask...who are the Bears? As in Chicago football players and fans? Or the Smokey Bear type? Or something else that might be TMI.

I saw a link to the bears website and checked it out because I was also wondering, well unfortunately I don't have the link for you, but they don't seem to be a Chicago based group , other than that their site only left me with more questions than answers, but I do remember, there site have a spring 2016 cruise listed

You may find this site helpful (or not...): http://themecruisefinder.com/CruiseAds/

Thanks for this. It is probably the best source I have found for identifying group cruises but, unfortunately, not complete. Since I doubt a law (in which country?) will be passed requiring large groups to be made known to all pax when booking, I am afraid it will take ongoing complaints to get the lines to do it on their own :(.

Out of a dozen or so cruises, I have had only one severely impacted by a group, but it shouldn't happen at all. I know some will say "the fine print allows it" but, IMO, if I will be prevented from using common areas (pools, lounges, etc.) by a group during normal hours, I should be advised ahead of booking, and charged a reduced rate.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
grammar