Groups on your cruise - Should Princess tell you ahead of time?

S&M in Pgh

Should Princess tell you when a group has more than 10% of the cabins on your cruise?  

510 members have voted

1. 1. Should Princess tell you when a group has more than 10% of the cabins on your cruise?

• Yes
    • No

I cruised this Feb on the Epic with a few hundred people who had booked for an Irish Music cruise. We did tie up some of the venues with concerts that others couldn't attend (the Blues Club, the aft adult only pool area, but that was only at night for concerts).

Sometimes we also booked a dining room after it was already closed, so that had no impact of anybody.

On the other hand, there was often music at the main pool area and obviously anyone could hang out and listen. Many stopped and listened and enjoyed the impromptu dancing done by a few professionals.

I guess it could be a pain, but while I was in line to embark, I was next to a a few couples who had been on the same cruise in 2012 and were happy to be back on the Irish cruise again. They enjoyed whatever music spilled over, and once in a while you could sneak into a venue.

No impact on the menus, but I think there was a large table reserved for us in the MDR. Also, we often had our musicians playing in the MVR, and other folks got up and danced.

So it can be hit or miss, and I think they should tell you. I don't think it's fair they charge you full price, and then you can't get into a venue or a bar that you want to, or the menu is different and maybe it's things that you can't eat.

I was on a HAL ship to Alaska. There was also a runner's cruise happening at the same time. Mostly, the group was very well behaved and contained, with the exception of one woman who insisted on using her "outside voice" in the stairwells.

The only time I was affected was in the Thermal Spa. Several of the runners had completed a marathon that morning and fell asleep on the heated loungers. It was one day.

There used to be a website that addressed group cruises. I had it bookmarked, but lost it when my computer crashed. For the life of me, I can't find it again.

Anyone????

Hi There,

Simple answer is yes, but not at 10% as almost every cruise has a group of this size,

300 folks on a ship of 3000 not going to worry me much,

900 well that's different,

This is my view, word for word. I am really surprised that the "yes" votes are so far ahead of the "no" votes when it comes to 10% of the ship. I think we've all been on cruises with 10% of the passengers consists of a "group". Which raises a different question. What is a "group"? If a high volume TA books a large block and then re-sells the rooms, is that a group? Are CC members who do slot pulls and meet-and-greets (reserving and monopolizing public spaces on the ship for such purposes) "groups"? Is the "Henderson-Johnson Wedding" a "group"? Or the "Schwartz Family Reunion" a group? When you drop the number down to 10%, these types of groups exist all the time and I can't imagine Princess emailing me to tell me that Kathy Henderson and Todd Johnson are getting married on my cruise, accompanied by 150 friends and family.

How can you find out if there are any large groups on the Cruise you are going on?

The best way is to do an internet search. If you were booked on, say, the Crown Princess departing Southampton on May 15 of a particualr year and you did a search with all of that criteria, if a really large group were booked on that cruise, odds are, that group's website that offers the cruise would pop up in your search.

Unfortunately, cruise lines are not going to tell us ... but I wish they would.

Also, I wish we could post the "Groups" we find out about here on Cruise Critic ... but it's against CC rules.

LuLu

~~~~

It surprises me a little that posting about a group booking would be against CC rules... Why would THAT be?

YES, I think Princess should share the fact that they have a large group booked!

We once sailed out of Florida with a group of 900 people who took over the pool area and made a whole lot of passengers uncomfortable. Especially those with small children. Several areas were blocked off for their own use and private parties! I would have have canceled and rebooked if I knew this group was on board! Only because this group was OUT OF CONTROL and they were doing things in public areas that should have been kept in the cabins!! :eek:

This happened to me too a few years ago. By the way you described things I think the same group may have been on my cruise and could have been the same group that was on the 11/3 Royal cruise.

I had this website bookmarked. I'm not sure if it's accurate or helpful but here you go:

http://themecruisefinder.com/CruiseAds/

I think this website requires that the group register the cruise so it's probably far from complete.

Sorry - how do you look up a theme cruise by ship and date rather than by theme on that site?

I just tried the Google method and found there is a group from Avon on one of our cruises for next year BUT I know for a fact that there is a small motorcycle riding group (bringing their motorcycles!) on another of our cruises that didn't come up in Google at all.

Edited by chamima

Sixthman dot net will also give you a listing of the music cruises they do. I find that those are the cruises that will really book some venues all day into the evening.

Depending on what you like to do onboard, you might want to avoid those cruises.

You can also google musicians that tend to do cruises - Rick Springfield, Kid Rock, etc.

I just tried the Google method and found there is a group from Avon on one of our cruises for next year BUT I know for a fact that there is a small motorcycle riding group (bringing their motorcycles!) on another of our cruises that didn't come up in Google at all.

Here is another centralized website that provides info on group cruises. This link is not a link to any particular group or cruise, so I assume that it is OK to post it here, just as the similar post above.

http://www.cruise-eta.com/

Also, since this comes directly from CC, I assume it is OK to post this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=349

Edited by JimmyVWine

Sorry - how do you look up a theme cruise by ship and date rather than by theme on that site?

I think the only thing you can do is click on the Theme link and read the list which provides the date of the cruise and the cruise line. Then if you see your cruise line and sailing date you would then click on the link for that cruise and the ship will be included in the description.

This is definitely not a user friendly website for this purpose. It's designed for people looking to join a theme cruise, not avoid one. ;)

We had a group called the "Haunters" on one of our cruises. They are a group who put on professional haunted houses for Halloween. There were about 500 of them. On a couple of nights they dressed in costume for dinner and a parade around the ship. It was a lot of fun on the evenings when they were in costume. Some of the costumes were awesome. They never took over any part of the ship, just did a parade.

We had a cruise were a religious group of over half the ship were onboard. They took over one main dining room and many of the public venues for their members. It was not enjoyable being unable to enjoy the entire ship yet we paid the regular price. We have never sailed that company again.

I was going to book the April 12,2015 Panama Canal and most of the rooms are already booked. I went on the roll call and people that booked several months ago were stating that most of the rooms were booked. I am thinking maybe a large group?

It may just be spring break crowds. I don't know when the different schools break in 2015

Just a thought about (tongue in cheek) groups that effect venues, etc. I want to be advised when there are more than 50 walkers, scooters and wheel chairs expected. Now we can all relax, after being fully informed!

Was anyone on the recent 11/3 Royal cruise. I think there were a group of 500 or so "bears" on it. Did the group "take over" any of the venues?

I was shocked at witnessing public displays of "passion/affection" in pool area an even in the Wheehouse bar. Nobody should behave in public like this, I would not

I was shocked at witnessing public displays of "passion/affection" in pool area an even in the Wheehouse bar. Nobody should behave in public like this, I would not

That was my experience too. This group sails the first week of November every year. They have been on many different Princess ships.

And I would have been very disappointed if I had gone on this cruise because I would have wanted to use the Retreat pool.

Edited by spingal