Groups on your cruise - Should Princess tell you ahead of time?

S&M in Pgh

Should Princess tell you when a group has more than 10% of the cabins on your cruise?  

510 members have voted

1. 1. Should Princess tell you when a group has more than 10% of the cabins on your cruise?

• Yes
    • No

Was anyone on the recent 11/3 Royal cruise. I think there were a group of 500 or so "bears" on it. Did the group "take over" any of the venues?

I was on the 11/8 Ruby cruise where a large group of "bears" took over the aft pool area. This is my favorite spot on the Ruby and they made it so uncomfortable for me I had to leave.

Where a large group speaking a foreign language nearly 500 of them made it uncomfortable on board.

On my daily walk along the Promenade a group of about 14 of them came striding by one had to stand to one side .

When it came to immigration on board it was supposed to go by decks and although they had several interpreters they all came down making long long line ups.

In the dining room at lunch time if one was unfortunate to be at a table with them they ignored one and spoke in their own language.

I think Princess should let us lowly mortals know if a large group will be on that cruise then we can make our own minds up whether to go or not.After all it is our vacation time we are paying for.

We had a very unpleasant cruise where a very large religious group made the trip most uncomfortable. Several venues were closed off to all others. Public prayer all around the ship, one of the main dining rooms completely off limits to the rest of us. When I questioned why was informed "they paid much more then full fare to have pots, pans, one use diner ware, plates and their needs met." That was our first and last cruise on Celebrity.

I know it was terrible for you but you made me laugh......:)

The reason they don't tell us is that legally they can't. It's discrimination. I've been on cruises with large groups and they don't begin to affect the ship until about 500 in number.

Discrimination would be the cruise line refusing to book the group for an unsupported reason. What this thread is asking for is DISCLOSURE. And that is definitely not illegal.

If I pay my money based on the promises of the cruise line marketing dept. and then suddenly I do not have access to the services and amenities promised to me then that IS discrimination and I should have some recourse or recompense.

A heads up would be nice for any affinity group that might monopolize any service or amenity normally available to the general ship population other than for some limited special events (like a pre-dinner cocktail party in one of the lounges).

I just got off the Regal in November and there was a very large (900 people) group of travel agents. They had meetings during the day that actually made the sea days less crowded so I was glad. I knew about it ahead of time and knew there would be times that one venue was closed to the general public. I just went to another venue.

But embarkation was a disaster. They allowed that group to board with those that had preferred boarding. So the perk we get as an Elite member was completely lost. Over 1/3 of the ship was trying board at the same time. FLL wasn't ready for that so there was no organization and it was a cluster...

But once I was onboard that was all soon forgotten and I had an amazing cruise!

This happened to me too a few years ago. By the way you described things I think the same group may have been on my cruise and could have been the same group that was on the 11/3 Royal cruise.

No, this was on the Crown!

I've discovered that there are two groups on my just-booked January 22nd cruise. I have no problems with either. One is a breast cancer awareness group, the other is an Angels fans group. There'll be three Angels players on the ship. Even though I'm a Sox fan, I've been to several Angels games. I think it'll be kind of fun even though I won't be able to go to their special events.

I'd be upset if a group took over a venue such that the cruise line canceled its normal events. We've been fortunate to have not experienced this on the cruises where we were aware of groups. In one instance, it was Cookie Lee jewelry sales women. They had meetings in the Vista Lounge at off times--mornings and afternoons--when there wouldn't be other events normally scheduled, or the events like trivia that could have been there could easily be moved to Explorers Lounge or Wheelhouse Bar.

As far as the bears taking over a pool area, that's probably more a perception from the poster's point of view and not an official function sanctioned by Princess. I'm sure there would have been more complaints if the bears congregated around the non adult pools.

There'll be three Angels players on the ship. Even though I'm a Sox fan, I've been to several Angels games. I think it'll be kind of fun even though I won't be able to go to their special events.

Well...of all the groups with whom to have to share the aft pool, professional athletes would seem to be one with whom you would have no problem! :D

One time we were on Princess to Alaska and there was a group of mentally challenged young adults. They were a huge group that would take over all lounge, bar restaurant show areas and disturbed everyone. No one could get a seat, order a drink etcetc. One of the waiters in the lounges told us the group did not order alcohol ever, would just use different venues to meet and hang out at so they were losing on tips. Doesn't matter the type of group, what matters is that often other cruisers don't have opportunity to enjoy all areas or venues because of the groups. The cruise line shouldn't offer space to individual cruisers when there are huge groups booking, or at the very least forewarn us...just not nice or right. What to do?? my take...

I just got off the Regal in November and there was a very large (900 people) group of travel agents. They had meetings during the day that actually made the sea days less crowded so I was glad. I knew about it ahead of time and knew there would be times that one venue was closed to the general public. I just went to another venue.

But embarkation was a disaster. They allowed that group to board with those that had preferred boarding. So the perk we get as an Elite member was completely lost. Over 1/3 of the ship was trying board at the same time. FLL wasn't ready for that so there was no organization and it was a cluster...

But once I was onboard that was all soon forgotten and I had an amazing cruise!

Twice they also had the entire pool area closed off for a private party for the agents. Without warning the pizza and the grill were cut off and closed for anyone but the private party. It was very annoying and I wish they would have had something in the patter to notify the rest of us on the sailing.

We had planned on burgers and wine for dinner with friends one night and were shocked that it was closed to us. The patter still listed the original hours.

Edited by cjskids

We were just recently on the Ruby and they had a large group which dominated the aft pool area from morning to closing daily. Really annoying as it's my favorite area to hang out. If I had known sooner, before final payment, I would have considered cancelling and jumping ship. I understand Princess' position but not optimal for non group cruisers. We still managed a nice trip but annoying none the less.

The reason they don't tell us is that legally they can't. It's discrimination. I've been on cruises with large groups and they don't begin to affect the ship until about 500 in number.

Whether or not notification could be considered discriminatory or not would depend largely on the group being identified and the motive for notification.

We were on a Carnival cruise with a tattoo convention. They literally took over the ship. We had a couple who were on their first cruise and they said they would never cruise again and haven’t been on another one. The tattoo people weren’t rude but they were loud and there were a lot of them.

Edited by Grammyluvs

As much as I disliked our experience with a large 800+ group on one of our cruises I don't believe Princess has an obligation to disclose this, and I really don't care. JMHO

Its pretty easy these days to find out if you are going to be rubbing elbows with a large group on your cruise.

• 8 months later...

Thank you. Spingal, I don't have a problem with this group, or any other group ,as long as our cruise is not disrupted by the people involved. We were part of a Dixeyland music group years ago and people not registered as part of the group were denied access to events. They were very upset and I don't blame them. I don't want that happening to us and our family that will be joining us.