A ROYAL disappointement? maybe, maybe not

FireFighter115

On our January 12 roll call someone asked if anyone was worried about the negative reviews the Royal is receiving. Here is a re-post of my comments there, and I think it is important to revisit here. For our cruise I have come up with some realistic expectations; important so as to not be disappointed.

1. The Royal is not a "Grand" ship. It is different, not wrong, just different. Corporate world dictates that you have to be different and creative. I love the Ruby and the Caribbean, but I am sure that the Royal in its uniqueness will have much to adore.

2. People will complain about anything! Some people look for things to complain about! Some people complain there is not enough to complain about! CC boards allow these people to have a virtual soapbox and megaphone. I think that makes this forum entertaining, just make sure you take everything with a grain of salt. I will reserve the right to make my own observations in 60 DAYS!

3. In this cruise's familiarity (we did this itinerary two years ago and just earlier this year swore off cruising for a few years to travel elsewhere), there will be new experiences. We are traveling with first time cruisers. We are in a mini-suite, another first. We are traveling with other couples, another first. Even if it were a tug in the North Sea in February, we could not have a bad time with these firsts. Isn't that what is enticing about travel, firsts?

4. The Royal is "Grand"! Almost everyone says the Piazza is awesome. Alfredo's seems like a great place for the 4th or 5th meal of the day! (Chicago is the HOME of the best pizzas in the WORLD, and Princess pizzas have been more than acceptable. Take that east coast triangle pizza piece eaters!) The water show on the top deck looks a little lame, but worth a look and I am willing to be amazed.

5. Princess failed to ask me what I wanted on the Royal, so I will take their best effort at supplying me with what they think the best cruise ship they can make looks like. They are the professionals, and there will be things that they fail to mess up. They are also listening, so the Royal is to some extent a work in progress, and the Regal is completely a work in progress. I just hope that the modifications to the Regal, whatever they may be, do not yield Princess getting run over with negative comments about the Royal.

Do you really think that your vacation is going to be a bust because of the bs some people put on the boards. For Heaven's sake it is 15 this morning and snowing!

Felt good to vent. Hope this helps everyone put the negative reviews into context.

IMHO but of course, could it be any other way?

FF115

On our January 12 roll call someone asked if anyone was worried about the negative reviews the Royal is receiving. Here is a re-post of my comments there, and I think it is important to revisit here. For our cruise I have come up with some realistic expectations; important so as to not be disappointed.

1. The Royal is not a "Grand" ship. It is different, not wrong, just different. Corporate world dictates that you have to be different and creative. I love the Ruby and the Caribbean, but I am sure that the Royal in its uniqueness will have much to adore.

2. People will complain about anything! Some people look for things to complain about! Some people complain there is not enough to complain about! CC boards allow these people to have a virtual soapbox and megaphone. I think that makes this forum entertaining, just make sure you take everything with a grain of salt. I will reserve the right to make my own observations in 60 DAYS!

3. In this cruise's familiarity (we did this itinerary two years ago and just earlier this year swore off cruising for a few years to travel elsewhere), there will be new experiences. We are traveling with first time cruisers. We are in a mini-suite, another first. We are traveling with other couples, another first. Even if it were a tug in the North Sea in February, we could not have a bad time with these firsts. Isn't that what is enticing about travel, firsts?

4. The Royal is "Grand"! Almost everyone says the Piazza is awesome. Alfredo's seems like a great place for the 4th or 5th meal of the day! (Chicago is the HOME of the best pizzas in the WORLD, and Princess pizzas have been more than acceptable. Take that east coast triangle pizza piece eaters!) The water show on the top deck looks a little lame, but worth a look and I am willing to be amazed.

5. Princess failed to ask me what I wanted on the Royal, so I will take their best effort at supplying me with what they think the best cruise ship they can make looks like. They are the professionals, and there will be things that they fail to mess up. They are also listening, so the Royal is to some extent a work in progress, and the Regal is completely a work in progress. I just hope that the modifications to the Regal, whatever they may be, do not yield Princess getting run over with negative comments about the Royal.

Do you really think that your vacation is going to be a bust because of the bs some people put on the boards. For Heaven's sake it is 15 this morning and snowing!

Felt good to vent. Hope this helps everyone put the negative reviews into context.

FF115

FireFighter, you're going to have a wonderful cruise. I guarantee it!

We went on the 5 day and I wrote a quick review. Yes there were some technical problems since the ship was new to Port Everglades and Princess Cay. And the food that I ordered in the Crown Grill and Sabatini's was not good but perhaps there were other things on the menu that would have been better. However as I said in my review it is one of the most beautiful ships I have ever been on and we had a great time! You will as well.

Edited by e2011

Agree. Btw, the regal is very deep into fitting out at this point (meaning they're doing the interior finishing). I don't expect any major differences between the two. I don't even expect anything other than perhaps small decorative differences. They might be able to adapt the center staircase for public use but, again, they might not feel like its a big enough issue to address.

I actually don't take all the reviews as negative as most of the comments when we reviewed are individual nits and most don't impact the way that I cruise. I'm not worried.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agree. Btw' date=' the regal is very deep into fitting out at this point (meaning they're doing the interior finishing). I don't expect any major differences between the two. I don't even expect anything other than perhaps small decorative differences. They might be able to adapt the center staircase for public use but, again, they might not feel like its a big enough issue to address.

I actually don't take all the reviews as negative as most of the comments when we reviewed are individual nits and most don't impact the way that I cruise. I'm not worried.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote']

I agree that wholesale changes to the Regal are probably out of the question. Some of the issues were probably known months ago and maybe even before the Royal was put into service. Getting the kinks worked out applies to everything from new mega-cruise ships to cell phones.

Thank you for your thoughts. My expectations are that I am going to have a fantastic cruise next spring (our reward for making it through another cold, snowy winter!), and if the ship doesn't end up being a match for us in the long run, there are many others to choose from for future cruises. I hope you have a great cruise, please post a review when you return!

Thank you firefighter for your thoughts. So very true. BTW yes the Royal had some flaws but the designer of the ship(he was on board and did a talk) said no ship is perfect and the budget dictates many things on a new ship. He also said the Regal will not be changed as it is too late to make changes but the Britannia( a third sister ship but will be a P&O ship) may be changed.

I loved the Royal and certainly would sail on her again.

Well said.

I was on the T/A and while it's not perfect, there is a lot to like. IMHO, the Piazza and Horizon Court/Bistro are fabulous... really much better than any Grand class ship. The decor throughout the ship is beautiful. The ship never felt crowded. I could go on but I'm looking forward to my next cruise on her.

We will be on the Royal 11/17. This is a "Make-Up" Cruise for missing a Repo because

of Sandy last year. Finally, the wife and I can see what we think about the Royal.

Thanks to all for your observations, good and bad. This is what makes C.C. great.

Edited by warb
misspelled word

Hi All

Having been on the Royal would be happy to cruise on her again,

but needs to be the right cruise,

while with other ships, any cruise will do,

the reason for me is that to many of the things I like are missing from

the Royal, while she has many features I will miss on my next cruise which

is on the Ruby we are now looking at cancelling our book Royal cruise and taking the Ruby again.

Now folks who have not been on the Royal, need to go on her, just because she has many new and nice features, which means your first cruise will be good.

yours Shogun

firefighter well said.

It is interesting to read some of the reviews and comments about the Royal. Those that complained the most seemed to dislike everything and made it sound like they would never sail on the Royal again and had a bad time. Those that gave positive reviews with a few issues here and there on the ship seemed to have a real good time but may or may not sail on the Royal again.

My wife and I went in with a positive attitude with no expectations. It was a new ship and we wanted to experience that. There were a few minor inconveniences and if compared to other ships a few things we liked and disliked. But overall we had a great time. Would we sail on the Royal again? Maybe. Folks seem to forget that this ship has been sailing for about six months. Princess still has to work out some of the kinks.

Come on people. Kick back and relax you're on vacation. So what if the waiter took too long to bring you your drink, there's no central staircase, I can't walk around the Promenade Deck or heaven forbid being "elite" that your laundry wasn't ready on time. Your on vacation, relax and go with the flow and have a good time. Enjoy what you have today because tomorrow might not show up.

OP...thanks for such reasonable comments. Guess it took a CFD member to cut through all of the BS! :p My godfather was CFD & he was never shy about voicing things that made sense to me. ;)

With so much negativity about so many aspects about any cruise those who don't realize the nature of many CC discussions wonder why they should take any cruise. To me it's best to share experiences without overstating them & to not tell anyone what they need to do. The anger some have amazes me...in dozens of cruises I've only had good & better cruises. It's unrealistic to think that any cruise will be perfect for everyone.

Sorry dear Mr. Firefighter, those are fighting words for sure. But the best pizza does not come from Chicago or Alfredo's, it comes from New York. Prego Pizza on Lido deck of the Ruby Princess, would be second in line for the prize!! :p

No, it comes from Italy :)

And the pizza 'war' begins! :p

OK, I was going to ignore the fact that everyone is wrong about the whole pizza thing, but now I can not. (I may start a thread complaining about how none of the CC posters know what good pizza is!)

Pizzeria Uno, Giordanos, Lou Malnotis, and Gino's East are all great, but my favorite is Aurelios. The sauce is perfect the thin crust is perfect, salivating right now. Ordered, to be delivered in one hour!!!

FF115

FF115

Thanks for a super post!:D