11/29 Zuiderdam Panama Canal Impressions

Crew News

Day #6 Panama Canal

SNIP...

Dinner in the Pinnacle Grill revealed some new information. The PG will eliminate table-side service in two weeks when a new PG menu is introduced. The current Hotel Director was a PG waiter just seven years ago.

SNIP...

Could you kindly explain what you mean by "eliminating table-side service"... Not sure what you mean. Also, who is the Hotel Director? We remember a few PG waiters and wondered if Benjamin Schutte was still around and might have been promoted... Finally, can you tell me who is in charge of the PG this cruise?

Thank and Regards

Leon M

Could you kindly explain what you mean by "eliminating table-side service"... Not sure what you mean. Also, who is the Hotel Director? We remember a few PG waiters and wondered if Benjamin Schutte was still around and might have been promoted... Finally, can you tell me who is in charge of the PG this cruise?

Thank and Regards

Leon M

Maybe it means those pretentious little touches like flaming your kabob skewers or concocting the lobster bisque ingredient by ingredient?

I hope that HAL is not going to stop table side service in the Pinnacle.

DH loves the Kabobs and we love the Caesar salad there. And sometimes DH gets the Baked Alaska there.

I hope they don't eliminate the kabobs too, but I would be quite happy to see that last flaming flourish which adds nothing to the taste get eliminated. Open fire on ships even in this controlled environment always makes me nervous anyway. It will be interesting to see the new menu because the changes in this venue in the past few years have been very welcome and very successful.

Crew News,

Did you obtain the recipe for the Panama Buns, while at the cooking class?

If so, would you kindly share the recipe when you return home?

Panama Rolls

Ingredients for dough:

¼ cup warm water

¼ cup milk

2 tbsp butter, melted, unsalted

1 egg beaten

¼ cup sugar

¾ tsp salt

Extra pinch of sugar

1 package active dry yeast

2 to 3-1/4 cups flour

Ingredients for filling:

Instant custard

Rum flavor (if desired)

Peach, cut into pieces (from can)

Ingredients for streusel:

10 oz. flour

10 oz. sugar

5 oz. butter

Pinch of salt

Drops of vanilla extract

Pinch of cinnamon powder

PREPARATION:

In a bowl, combine water, yeast, and pinch of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside.

In a large bowl, add milk, melted butter, egg, sugar, and salt. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes to an hour in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.

Then roll out on floured board until it is about ½-inch thick.

Take a pizza cutter ad cut into desired square size. With a spoon or piping bag, place a dollop of custard/rum cream and on top of that, place a piece of peach. Fold each corner into middle of the square and hold together.

To make streusel, mix all ingredients in a bowl and mix with hand until crumble consistency appears.

Place on a cookie sheet/baking tray upside down. Let rise until rolls have doubled in size and brush with egg wash.

Top each bun with streusel and bake in a preheated oven 350 degrees until golden brown (12 – 15 minutes).

Thank you, Crew News, for your updates. These were your most interesting posts to date.

I am going on the Zuiderdam in 3 weeks and have a PG reservation. I am so sad to learn that there will be not table side Caesar Salad. Boo.:(

However, I am appreciative of your getting the MDR menus for us. That is amazing of you!

I hope that you continue to have a wonderful cruise.

How is Joanie feeling? Would she mind if you updated us?

Thanks-

Tracie-Lynn:)

Thanks for the update! I will be curious to see what the new PG menu is.

I hate to see the table service go - it was kind of fun with the Caesar salad.

I don't know if you can find out and don't want to make a lot of work for you - but the Zuiderdam has no cruises listed from Mar 16th - April 30th, 2015.

Trying to figure out what is going on. Whether it be she is being relocated to Europe or something else? If you hear could you let us know?

Thank you. Hope Joanie is feeling better.

Well, one person's "pretensions" might just be another's memorable deluxe evening.

Agree, badly stated. I was reacting to their showmanship value; when they did not add any culinary contributions. I myself squirm when showmanship intrudes too much on the dining experience. So put this one in different strokes for different folks. And there are some table side preparation dishes that combine the two like crepe suzettes or bananas foster, so all is not lost in having a little table side drama for those traditional dishes.

Maybe it means those pretentious little touches like flaming your kabob skewers or concocting the lobster bisque ingredient by ingredient?

I don't find tableside preparation pretentious. I think it makes the experience in a restaurant more upscale and special. Tableside prep of a Caesar salad beats having just another salad plopped down in front of you for an example, assuming the ingredients and the salad itself is extra special good.

I don't find tableside preparation pretentious. I think it makes the experience in a restaurant more upscale and special. Tableside prep of a Caesar salad beats having just another salad plopped down in front of you for an example, assuming the ingredients and the salad itself is extra special good.

Although experiences and food are very subjective to the individual, I must agree with you. I feel that it adds to the experience. There used to be a restaurant in our area where every dish was finished tableside. It really made for a special occasion and added so much to the experience. It was one of my favorite places.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Entirely agree. We are accustomed to having our Caesar salad prepared table-side when we go for dinner. We like it, doesn't matter if someone else does not. I really dislike when a poster infers they are speaking for everyone.

….. I really dislike when a poster infers they are speaking for everyone.[/size][/font]

Best rule in that case then is not to read your own thoughts into what someone says, paraphrase, and/or set up straw dogs to then later shoot down. Ad infinitum.

Best rule in that case then is not to read your own thoughts into what someone says, paraphrase, and/or set up straw dogs to then later shoot down. Ad infinitum.

:confused:

I didn't think anyone read their own thoughts into the post. It seemed to have been stated. but I have been wrong before;)

Thanks for the posts. I am considering this cruise in Feb. Unlikely it will be so empty then but I'm wondering how many people exactly you have on board. 10% less than full? 20%?

I must admit to being one of those who was getting scared to enter this ship expecting unbearable heat and raw sewage filling the bathrooms judging from the reports! :eek: thanks for adding a subjective report to the mix!

Rob

Rob, Bobhhav\n our friend and the hotel manager told us there are less than 900 passengers abouar rthe ship this scruise.

Perfect for us:)

AND shock of shock no emergency vehicles meeting the ship to off load ill passengers the entire trip.

Starting to sprinkle got to get off line.

Joanie

I'm surprised there would only be 900 pax. That less than half full:eek:. I'm surprised they would sail with that few people. You think they would have got peeps to come aboard no matter what they had to do.

This is when they get to honor the HAL "Friends and Family" option for HAL staff.

Day #7 Costa Rica

I was up early enough to see the heavy overcast clouds over Colon. Glancing at my shore excursion ticket, I read “bathroom facilities not available on the boat” and decided to cancel my many-hours excursion floating on the canals of Costa Rica.

Souvenirs beckoned so I walked from the ship to a large tent near the port entrance. Of course walking in the crosswalk towards the tent, passengers had to dodge the semi-trucks that crossed the walking area on their way to a large container facility. The approximately 200 yard stroll in the heat-of-the day led me to the tent without sides that was stuffed with vendors and tourists. The heat was at least 10 degrees hotter than the asphalt path that I just traveled. Nothing was appealing and I returned to the ship empty handed.

I watched the Island Princess and the Zuiderdam crews repairing their ship’s numerous scrapes of the Panama Canal walls with lots of paint. Until sail away, my day was spent chatting on the verandah.

Dining:

Breakfast in the Lido was quick as most of the passengers had gone on to their excursions. It was the second day in a row with grits for breakfast and its reminder of home in New Mexico.

Weiner schnitzel with gravy reminded me of my nine years living in Germany. I could only imagine what mushrooms and bell peppers could do for the dish. I was disappointed in the lack of chocolate chip cookies.

After making arrangements the evening before, we had dinner in the glass-enclosed area of the PG for Le Cirque. My lobster salad, butternut squash soup, and rack of lamb were perfectly prepared. The Atrium Bar on the deck below had a very loud and raucous party that kept us guessing when their next high-pitched screech would reach our ears. The crème briolette was enjoyed by two of our group with one ramekin having the recipe printed underneath the contents. A box of truffles met us on our bed when we returned to our room.

The PG Manager, Ron van Vliet, is new to HAL after owning his own restaurant in South Africa. Ron will be moving to the Rhyndam in March.

In response to a CC question, a former waiter, Rudi, is home on vacation.

Facilities:

The AC was severely tested with the temperatures in the high 90’s but it continued to function.

No plumbing issues were encountered.

Miscellaneous:

The seas were rough and most passengers retired early.