Room Question - Upgrade?

Fat Bottom Gurl

It depends on how you marked your reservation. If you marked No Upgrade then you will be keeping the cabin you selected. Before marking Upgrade Will be accepted you should look at the next level above you to see where they are located. Example: Our cabin is located on Deck 8. If we accepted an upgrade we could move to Deck 5 right in front of the Plaza.

Taking a random offering might also place you in part of the ship that you would not like. If you selected your cabin because it suits you, then keep it and be happy.

Bob

Who knows how the upgrade fairy really works. Lots of stories on here in the last day or so about people who booked specific cabins in a row and then being upgraded except to all over the ship. They are miffed! Some people think booking a guarantee gives you a better chance, I don't subscribe to that theory as there are just too many variables at play. Unless you are specifically playing the upgrade game Princess, unlike some other mainstream lines does not offer a financial incentive to book a Gty. I can't understand why people do it when you can just book the cabin you want for the same price. Yes with a Gty you could win the lottery and get upgraded. You could also end up with the worst possible cabin in the most undesirable place on the ship within the catagory you booked. Bottom line is "you pays your money and you takes your chances" Not for us for sure.

I have booked Room C302 on the Coral. Does this mean that I the upgrade fairy will not bother to anoint me with her magical dust. I have no problem with being anointed. Should I change my reservation to having a stateroom assigned to me randomly?

Thanks,

FTB

If you leave it as is the lowest Cat. cabin you will get is BE. You could be upgraded to a different category and location on the ship. The balcony category cabins all have the same interior, except some have pull down berths for 3rd & 4th passengers. The difference in category is location on the ship.

I would try to book, if still available, Cabins C311 through C317. They are also cat. BE, but they have larger balconies.

If you leave it as is the lowest Cat. cabin you will get is BE. You could be upgraded to a different category and location on the ship. The balcony category cabins all have the same interior, except some have pull down berths for 3rd & 4th passengers. The difference in category is location on the ship.

I would try to book, if still available, Cabins C311 through C317. They are also cat. BE, but they have larger balconies.

Just checked and those rooms are sold.

I do not recall saying "no upgrade" when I picked the room, and was wondering if by picking an actual room the "no upgrade" is assumed. I realize that having a randomly assigned room could be problematic if we were assigned a horrible spot (not sure where that would be). I really just want a balcony. I made the mistake of thinking the entire Carribe deck had large balconies (because they do on the Crown), but forgot that I was on a different ship when booking (duh). Oh well.

Thanks,

FTB

Just checked and those rooms are sold.

I do not recall saying "no upgrade" when I picked the room, and was wondering if by picking an actual room the "no upgrade" is assumed.

No, quite the reverse. Unless you mark it 'No upgrade' when you choose your cabin, it is always assumed that you are willing to be upgraded.

I do not recall saying "no upgrade" when I picked the room, and was wondering if by picking an actual room the "no upgrade" is assumed.

No, not assumed.

We have been upgrated both when we have booked a GTY and when we have picked a specific cabin.

I've never seen an upgrade or no upgrade option when booking but I do hear people talking about it often. Maybe it's an option for TAs but I can't see anything on my end through the regular website booking.

That's probably correct. I booked online and never saw an option of "no upgrade". I guess I would have to phone Princess directly to choose no upgrade. I'm going to let this one ride...wooohooo - I am so edgy.

Grins,

FTB

Some people think booking a guarantee gives you a better chance, I don't subscribe to that theory as there are just too many variables at play. Unless you are specifically playing the upgrade game Princess, unlike some other mainstream lines does not offer a financial incentive to book a Gty.
Actually Princess sometimes does offer a financial incentive to book a guarantee. Sometimes they'll offer a category only as a guarantee. For instance, when we booked our Sapphire Princess cruise to Alaska last year as a Cat. GG obstructed view, Princess did not have any specific Cat. GG cabins for us to choose. We ended up getting an upgrade to a deluxe ocean view cabin. (They're the cabins on the Sapphire and Diamond that have balconies without furniture at the front of the ship.) We were thrilled. It was a great cabin location for viewing the glaciers. Some folks, however, would not like being at the front of the ship because of their susceptibility to seasickness or because they don't like to walk long distances. Edited by geoherb

Who knows how the upgrade fairy really works. Lots of stories on here in the last day or so about people who booked specific cabins in a row and then being upgraded except to all over the ship. They are miffed! Some people think booking a guarantee gives you a better chance, I don't subscribe to that theory as there are just too many variables at play. Unless you are specifically playing the upgrade game Princess, unlike some other mainstream lines does not offer a financial incentive to book a Gty. I can't understand why people do it when you can just book the cabin you want for the same price. Yes with a Gty you could win the lottery and get upgraded. You could also end up with the worst possible cabin in the most undesirable place on the ship within the catagory you booked. Bottom line is "you pays your money and you takes your chances" Not for us for sure.

There is a good reason for the guarantee booking. We booked the cheapest balcony on Star going to Hawaii. It was at the bow where the promenade deck steps up to deck 8 going around the bow. Everybody walking the promenade deck walks right past your balcony. We booked it because it was the cheapest balcony available but we booked as a guarantee. We ended up on a higher deck midships. The balcony room we actually got was selling for hundreds of dollars per person more than the one we initially booked. The guarantee worked out wonderfully for us - especially as we ended up just a few doors down the hall from our son who had also booked the same cruise. As he's disabled and needs assistance it was really great to be right down the hall from his room rather than several decks away.

In the past we booked a GTY rate in hopes of an upgrade above our category. However, after two bad experiences we will now only book a specific room.

One of those upgrades switched us from an obstructed view to a suite. Sounds good, doesn't it? However, it was one of the noisiest rooms we have ever been in since it was just under a storage locker for the china. Having the metal door slam into a wall above us and then hearing the china cart being loaded and rolled at early morning hours was not conducive to sleep.

On our recent Canada New England cruise we booked a good obstructed view cabin for $1199. Balconies were $1,000 more. Balconies were not selling weel though outside were sold out. A week before the cruise we were offered the Balcony for $199 p person. We gladly took it.

My current British Isles cruise seemd to have all mid ship balconies sold out, almost. we booked a balcony. We are hoping for an upgrade to a Mini suite at the last minute but maybe not likely as the mini's seemd to seel out.