Booze Question ???

LibraByTheSea

Trying to get on tomorrow on Ruby Princess leaving Saturday...I love living in Florida

I see there is no Alcohol Package like most other lines...I also noticed you can't buy a botttle from Bon Voyage :(

What is the smuggling policy? I am used to the beverage package on Clebrity and just love it...

Looking to keep my budget in line :)

Thanks for your help

Trying to get on tomorrow on Ruby Princess leaving Saturday...I love living in Florida

I see there is no Alcohol Package like most other lines...I also noticed you can't buy a botttle from Bon Voyage :(

What is the smuggling policy? I am used to the beverage package on Clebrity and just love it...

Thanks for your help

1 750ml bottle of wine/pp for use in your cabin can be carried on with out charge. Other bottles of wine can be boarded and are subject to a $15/bot corkage fee. No spirits or beer can be boarded. Luggage is inspected and "smuggled" alcohol will be destroyed, that's the policy.

Drink prices are reasonable. For example a martini is $7.95 plus 15%. Beers are available at 6 for the price of 5 for about $24 plus 15%.

The Ruby is currently testing an alcohol/beverage package. Only $56/pp/day, including gratuity.

Keep in mind that Princess drink prices are very reasonable. I pay between $5.50-7 for either a Long Island Iced Tea or a martini.

Opps... It's the Star, not the Ruby testing the package. Regardless, drink prices on Princess are lower, sometimes substantially, than Celebrity.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thanks for your help

Maybe you can't order a bottle from Bon Voyage because it's too close to sailing. We always preorder but I'm pretty sure you can just order a bottle from room service. We're vodka drinkers and a 375ml of Sky vodka is $17, I would guess other types of alcohol are similarly priced.

We ordered a 375 ml bottle of rum from room service, it was $15 before gratuity. Even though it's only half the size of what you would get for that price on land, it made us quite a few drinks for consumption in our cabin, and certainly after two drinks it had basically paid for itself. I had never done that before but it was easy and convenient - I called down to room service and we had it in about 10 minutes, even after they told us it would be a half hour!

The Ruby is currently testing an alcohol/beverage package. Only $56/pp/day, including gratuity.

Keep in mind that Princess drink prices are very reasonable. I pay between $5.50-7 for either a Long Island Iced Tea or a martini.

Just got off Royal (Dec 8th) and I think they are total asses $5.00 for bar gin THEN .50 for mix. I have never seen a bar anywhere that charges for mix!! The second week on board we brought our own bottle of gin and tonic on in carry on thru x-ray. This is how to encourage smuggling go crazy with nickel and diming passengers.

Just got off Royal (Dec 8th) and I think they are total asses $5.00 for bar gin THEN .50 for mix. I have never seen a bar anywhere that charges for mix!! The second week on board we brought our own bottle of gin and tonic on in carry on thru x-ray. This is how to encourage smuggling go crazy with nickel and diming passengers.

Any bar in my area - a "well" gin and tonic is anywhere from $5-$10 depending on the bar - so they are charging you for the tonic they just don't itemize it.

On the menu - the wells drinks are listed at $5.50, that being said, they're not overcharging based on what's listed, I think that is probably their way of tracking what the bartenders use.

I for one think their pricing and policies are pretty straightforward, and budget my drinks accordingly. Tonic is always allowed to be carried on, unlike other cruise lines that prohibit bringing mixers on board. You CAN order bottles of alcohol from room service and make your own, and with better gin probably than the bar brand, then you wont feel "nickel and dimed"

Queston: When you buy a bottle of liquor from Princess, can you carry it around with you into the public areas and simply mix your own drinks, or is it assumed that the bottle will stay in your cabin for in-room consumption? I can't say that I have looked for the answer, but in all the literature that I have read from the Cruise Contract and Princess website, I don't recall ever seeing this addresed the way the consumption of wine is addressed. Wine (after the payment of the corkage fee) can be consumed in any public venue. Can you buy a Ultimate Beverage card, order up sodas or mocktails, and then spike them right there in the lounge with the bottle that you bought from Princess? (Well, I'm sure you can by sneaking a nip when no one is looking, but the question is, is it within the "rules" to do so?)

Queston: When you buy a bottle of liquor from Princess, can you carry it around with you into the public areas and simply mix your own drinks, or is it assumed that the bottle will stay in your cabin for in-room consumption? I can't say that I have looked for the answer, but in all the literature that I have read from the Cruise Contract and Princess website, I don't recall ever seeing this addresed the way the consumption of wine is addressed. Wine (after the payment of the corkage fee) can be consumed in any public venue. Can you buy a Ultimate Beverage card, order up sodas or mocktails, and then spike them right there in the lounge with the bottle that you bought from Princess? (Well, I'm sure you can by sneaking a nip when no one is looking, but the question is, is it within the "rules" to do so?)

In our cabin was a three-ring blue binder with all sorts of ship information, including the room service menu. In there is a statement indicating alcohol purchased from room service is only for in-room consumption. We noticed this when we ordered the six beers for the price of five deal, six tonics for the price of five and a bottle of gin.

This was on the Dawn Princess last month. And ... I ain't sayin' just where those beers and the G&T's ended up ...

Edited by beg3yrs

Just got back from the Sapphire and all stuff in suitcase went through with no trouble including a 3L box of wine. This was out of San Pedro. Saying that, our bar bill was still around $400.00 which was also buying friends drinks and some bottles of wine at dinner. Have a great trip....

In our cabin was a three-ring blue binder with all sorts of ship information, including the room service menu. In there is a statement indicating alcohol purchased from room service is only for in-room consumption. We noticed this when we ordered the six beers for the price of five deal, six tonics for the price of five and a bottle of gin.

This was on the Dawn Princess last month. And ... I ain't sayin' just where those beers and the G&T's ended up ...

Thanks. Odd that you can buy 6 beers for the price of 5 at the sailaway party up on deck, but they don't want you to take the same 6 beers up on deck if they are delivered to your room. I've never seen anyone pull out a bottle of rum and pour some into their glass of coke, which is why I asked. I guess people are just real good with their technique!:D

Thanks. Odd that you can buy 6 beers for the price of 5 at the sailaway party up on deck, but they don't want you to take the same 6 beers up on deck if they are delivered to your room. I've never seen anyone pull out a bottle of rum and pour some into their glass of coke, which is why I asked. I guess people are just real good with their technique!:D

Some will carry a flask in their cargo shorts.;)

Or why some ladies carry around huge purses, lol

Edited by SadieN

I once witnessed an elderly lady in the Sapphire's MDR drinking wine that she brought onboard in a Scope bottle. It was a white wine that she added green food coloring to. Tacky beyond belief.

Tony

Although they intend for these drinks to be consumed in your room, there is no open container policy and who would be able to tell if you got the drink at the bar or in your room?

So long as it's in a similar glass/cup there is no way to determine.

I personally bring a travel mug with me for my coffee and tervis cup for no sweaty drinks and better insulated.

Enjoy your cruise!!

No way, you must have made that up, that can't really have happened! :eek:

It happened- back in 2006- and I have no reason to concoct things up. Other guests witnessed it as well. Tacky, but hilarious at the same time.

Tony