NEVER book with Viking Cruises

njjeter

I agree that it's unfortunate prospective cruisers don't spend more time here familiarizing themselves with the issues/solutions they may encounter.

I'm also surprised that cruise lines don't warn cruisers of the potential problems that they may face if flying in the day of a cruise.

One comment in the OP's post was interesting; namely, that the appearance of only one other passenger suggested that Air Canada cancelled the flight because of lack of interest. I think it possible that there was a problem of notification and that others simply already knew the flight wasn't taking place.

This whole situation is an example of an unfortunate confluence of events, both within and without the OPs control, and there are some useful lessons here.

1. Regardless of if you have email notifications, particularly for an international trip, always keep checking your flight plans via the website. The OP states the flight was canceled before they even got to the airport. Emails go awry, but if they had known before they showed up for the flight, they might have gotten more help from the airline and Viking.

2. In this day and age, international cell phones are a good idea if you are traveling internationally. I never thought I would want a smart phone until I planned a trip to France. My Windows phone came in very handy for a variety of reasons. I got one that works on the global network with Verizon and you can get international roaming and data plans prorated for the time you need. We used it to call taxis, a tour operator, and when I discovered my 3-prong AC plug for my netbook didn't work with my 2-prong european adapter, internet.

3. Always keep moving toward your destination. Any cruise, river or otherwise, isn't going to wait for you. You have to be brave, and try to find the best path forward even if it means taking a train to catch up. Most places in western Europe you can find someone to help you if you don't speak the language. Think of it as an adventure.

4. Check your credit cards, most have trip interuption insurance. Once the Air Canada flight failed I would have been looking for a flight on any line towards my destination and worked out who pays later. I wonder if the tickets were non-endorsable to another airline which is why they didn't get much help.

5. I have been on Viking and enjoy their cruises. I will say that it appears they dropped the ball for the OP, however, there is only one side presented here and it is a bit reactive and emotional. I've never done air with a cruise, but I think most t&c's state that they don't guarantee the routes will work out and aren't responsible if the airline has issues, only that they will do their best. That said, the OP mentions that they were given the option to try to fly to Budapest and catch up from there. I wonder if they were presented with other options that were glossed over because it wasn't want they wanted to hear or were too panicked and upset to really understand what the agent was saying.

Thank you for your post. You have made some very good points. We make our own air reservations and I check the booking frequently. We always go usually 2 or 3 but at least 1 day early. Our travel cost is not complete until we add insurance.

I am not a "Viking defender" because we have not yet sailed with them and don't feel like we are qualified to defend - or bash a line we have no personal experience with. A word for those who want to learn about different river cruise companies: When you see this and similarly titled threads, be aware that not only are there cruise line defenders on cruisecritic, there are also cruise line bashers. People jump on these negative threads to add their negative comments about a cruiseline they have no personal experience with. For me, the honesty of folks who make their first (and sometimes only) post to cruise critic a serious bashing of a cruise line are suspect.

I do hope the OP returns and tells us the end of the story. I would be disappointed in Viking if they don't offer some satisfactory resolution to this. With air travel as undependable and planes as crowded as they are today there has to have been other circumstances like this that Viking has encountered. I would be interested in the history of how they have dealt with them. I wonder what is in their passage contract that would apply to this situation. If the OP had persevered and got to the cruise late, would they have been more inclined to offer some compensation without extreme effort on the part of the OP?

Edited by SeaTheWorldBySea
spelling - and there are probably more

I agree with you. Maybe I am more proactive about traveling, but I've always been independent. When I was 16 I went to Girl Scout camp in Wyoming and flew, unaccompanied, from the East coast with a stop in MSP. For some reason, I missed the connection to my flight to Billings MT. Well, long story short, I went to traveler's aide, got myself rebooked (in First Class!) on the next flight and met up with another group of Scouts going to the same camp all on my own. What I forgot to do was call my parents (before cell phones), who got a call from the leader in charge of picking me up wondering why I wasn't on the original flight! The airline hadn't called them either. I couldn't understand what everyone was so worried about, I mean, I made it right?

I don't suppose that would "fly" today...

Even when not associated with cruises, air travel is sketchy at best.

We were traveling to Portugal when the Iceland volcano erupted. Air travel was very disrupted. We had to spend the night in Newark, but were on the phone the moment we found out there was a problem with our flight.

I don't think the airlines TRY to disrupt travel, but stuff happens. You need to be informed and take control of yourself when the situation requires it. I don't depend on anyone...TA, airline or travel organization.

We've used air through a number of organizations with great success, but have always....ALWAYS......monitored things and were prepared to do what it took to take care of ourselves...insurance or not!!!

Edited by CaroleSS

To have only only 2 nights scheduled in the embarkation city, including your arrival day, is poor planning on the part of the cruise line particularly in a city such as Budapest, where connections in Europe are usually required, as well as scheduling connections before leaving North America. You are also deprived of much of the wonderful experience of Budapest, really only allowing 1 day there. Multiple connections also greatly increase the chances that your luggage will not make the cruise with you.

This whole situation is an example of an unfortunate confluence of events, both within and without the OPs control, and there are some useful lessons here.

1. Regardless of if you have email notifications, particularly for an international trip, always keep checking your flight plans via the website. The OP states the flight was canceled before they even got to the airport. Emails go awry, but if they had known before they showed up for the flight, they might have gotten more help from the airline and Viking.

2. In this day and age, international cell phones are a good idea if you are traveling internationally. I never thought I would want a smart phone until I planned a trip to France. My Windows phone came in very handy for a variety of reasons. I got one that works on the global network with Verizon and you can get international roaming and data plans prorated for the time you need. We used it to call taxis, a tour operator, and when I discovered my 3-prong AC plug for my netbook didn't work with my 2-prong european adapter, internet.

3. Always keep moving toward your destination. Any cruise, river or otherwise, isn't going to wait for you. You have to be brave, and try to find the best path forward even if it means taking a train to catch up. Most places in western Europe you can find someone to help you if you don't speak the language. Think of it as an adventure.

4. Check your credit cards, most have trip interuption insurance. Once the Air Canada flight failed I would have been looking for a flight on any line towards my destination and worked out who pays later. I wonder if the tickets were non-endorsable to another airline which is why they didn't get much help.

5. I have been on Viking and enjoy their cruises. I will say that it appears they dropped the ball for the OP, however, there is only one side presented here and it is a bit reactive and emotional. I've never done air with a cruise, but I think most t&c's state that they don't guarantee the routes will work out and aren't responsible if the airline has issues, only that they will do their best. That said, the OP mentions that they were given the option to try to fly to Budapest and catch up from there. I wonder if they were presented with other options that were glossed over because it wasn't want they wanted to hear or were too panicked and upset to really understand what the agent was saying.

Great post!

HELPFuL INFORMATION ABOuT EMERGENCY PURCHASES AND FLIGHT DELAY INSuRANCE

n Coverage begins four (4) hours after the occurrence of your Missed Connection, Delayed Flight, or Denied Boarding, or the arrival of your flight at your destination when your checked luggage is lost or delayed .

n For Flight Delay insurance, the maximum amount of coverage for reasonable and necessary expenses is $250 per occurrence per covered person to an overall total of $500 per occurrence for all covered persons .

Missed Connection – Coverage begins four (4) hours after the air carrier’s aircraft has arrived at your connecting point for your onward connecting flight when, due to the delay of your incoming flight, you miss a confirmed onward connecting flight; and no alternative onward transportation is made available to you by the air carrier within four (4) hours of the scheduled departure time of the onward connecting flight .

Delayed Flight Departure – Coverage begins four (4) hours after the scheduled departure time of your confirmed scheduled flight, which was delayed, when no alternative transportation is made available to you by the air carrier within four (4) hours of the scheduled departure time of your original flight .

Denied Boarding – Coverage begins four (4) hours after you have been denied boarding of the aircraft due to overbooking on your confirmed scheduled flight, when no alternative transportation is made available to you by the air carrier within four (4) hours of the scheduled departure time of your original flight .

8 Delay of your common carrier, resulting from

the mechanical failure of that carrier, a traffic accident or an emergency police-directed road closure (either must be substantiated by a police report), or weather conditions, causing you to miss a connection or resulting in the interruption of your trip . The outright cancellation of a flight is not considered a delay .

Insurance whether purchased thru third party or your credit card is meant to have you pay premiums and not really to have to pay YOU. My SIL found this out when his flight on Nov 1 to LAX was cancelled when LAX was closed due to shooting. His insurance would NOT reimburse him for the costs he incurred when booking to another airport close by.

OK, everyone. Pull the claws back in and lets be nice. We are all jumping to conclusions that, since this was his first post, he must have an axe to grind. It's only been 16 hours since he first posted. Maybe he was out shopping. There are several incidences where cruise lines have done an awful job of booking flights. There is little reason not to believe him.

Well over 48 hrs ago the OP posted his complaint and that was it, he has not been back since and I for one don't expect him back. He had a bad experience and either due to really bad luck or just lack of travel experience did not take charge of his own travel problems as they were happening. I have no doubt that his Non Trip was a disaster and there is certainly blame to go around.

It also would appear (hoping I'm wrong) that the OP did not have travel insurance. This is a cautionary tale for everyone about flying in early and making sure the flights you have booked (or booked for you) make sense. No one can blame Viking for an airline canceling flights, sadly this happens often and as your trip approaches you need to monitor these flight, check in on line and verify your flights before leaving for the airport. This includes double check reservations the morning and days before leaving and setting up the alerts (e-mail,text & cell) that most airlines have for alerting you to known delays. DO NOT DEPEND ON travel agents or cruiseline to babysit you as they just do not do it as if their trip depends on it, your trip is what is at risk so Take Charge!

The OP is very upset and I think we can all understand that!

I can well understand why the OP would never want to book with Viking again, after such appalling lack of customer service.

It is not unreasonable to expect assistance from Viking, when they made their flight and transfer bookings through Viking.

Viking - You have spoilt this couple's 38th wedding anniversary. You need to make appropriate amends. Maybe an offer of a complimentary cruise for their 39th wedding anniversary would help heal the genuine disappointment and hurt.

I can well understand why the OP would never want to book with Viking again, after such appalling lack of customer service.

It is not unreasonable to expect assistance from Viking, when they made their flight and transfer bookings through Viking.

Viking - You have spoilt this couple's 38th wedding anniversary. You need to make appropriate amends. Maybe an offer of a complimentary cruise for their 39th wedding anniversary would help heal the genuine disappointment and hurt.

Curious if you have ever sailed with Viking? Yes, there have been many many issues with Viking, but also with other River cruise lines, they are not alone. Should Viking make them whole again, I don't think so, they are not responsible for the airlines canceling the OP's flight. And if the OP choose not to buy Travel Insurance, well whose fault is that, not Vikings!

Viking has many many very happy customers and this one couples airline experience does not define the Viking experience this frankly could have happened with any cruise air.

Could Viking have handled it better, yes likely but I think the OP had unrealistic expectations of "Viking taking care of everything". When traveling I always "Plan for the worst and hope for the best".

Ok my two cents!

Edited by nana541

I think Viking should take some responsibility since they chose to book OP on Air Canada, which only has 1 flight per day out of Nashville. That's the real source of this whole problem, since the initial flight cancellation automatically resulted in a 24-hour minimum delay.

Since the fine print says the cruise line has sole discretion on choice of carrier, even if OP had complained about this it's unlikely Viking would have changed it. Since that decision caused the problems, I think Viking should step up with some offer.

I have never travelled with Viking and never will but I can't agree with your assertion Nana541 that this incident could have happened with any company. I've searched for a similar occurrence and I can't find one. Yes there has been problems of a different nature with other cruise lines BUT not all of them as you stated.

I also can't ascertain from what the OP wrote that they didn't have travel insurance. What I can ascertain is that although Viking knew exactly what was going on with the flights they did nothing to assist although they were the original booking agents. I also ascertained that Viking's only solution was for the OP to catch up to the boat somewhere on its journey. That was it. If you don't then bad luck we've got your money and we're not giving any back. The OP didn't make the trip. The OP did not receive what they paid for. How anyone can defend Viking in this instance is beyond me.

Nope, just trying to be reasonable. I feel bad for the OP and as I have said a couple times, I hope these folks had proper Travel Insurance!

Not sure what " proper" travel insurance would be in this case. IF they had ANY trip delay cancellation insurance and IF the fine print reads like my MAJOR credit card says ( post #32) then Air Canada CANCELLING the flight does not constitute trip DELAY nor trip CANCELLATION ( that is when YOU cancel due to a reason covered ie illness).

Sadly the OP probably didnt know about " custom air" thru Viking for an extra $50 pp where they could have picked, perhaps, a better airline with more frequent flights...still no,guarantee as friends had custom Ir but Viking reps thought a 45 min transfer at Franfurt was do- able. It is not and wasnt and they didnt make the plane ( luckily it was on the way home and not sure if it was viking or lufthansa but their new flight and hotels and food were covered)

Not sure what " proper" travel insurance would be in this case. IF they had ANY trip delay cancellation insurance and IF the fine print reads like my MAJOR credit card says ( post #32) then Air Canada CANCELLING the flight does not constitute trip DELAY nor trip CANCELLATION ( that is when YOU cancel due to a reason covered ie illness).

Sadly the OP probably didnt know about " custom air" thru Viking for an extra $50 pp where they could have picked, perhaps, a better airline with more frequent flights...still no,guarantee as friends had custom Ir but Viking reps thought a 45 min transfer at Franfurt was do- able. It is not and wasnt and they didnt make the plane ( luckily it was on the way home and not sure if it was viking or lufthansa but their new flight and hotels and food were covered)

Guess Travel Insurance I buy covers "door to door" (from my door leaving to the airport and back home again", and does not depend on coverage offered through credit cards. You need to buy within 14 days of making deposit and it needs to cover the entire cost of your trip (air, cruise, and any non refundable expenses). It also covers pre-existing medical and transport which is very important to us. I use Insure my Trip dot com. And yes cancelled flights would have been covered, though they require you call them immediately for assistance and rebooking if your airline can not or will not help.

Who knows what kind of insurance the OP had.....but once again the wake up call and reminder is for us all. Oh and I am far far from a Viking cheerleader, another good reason to have a third party Travel Agent between you and the cruise line.

Let me make an assumption: it was "Danube Waltz" cruise and let's go from there:

1. The Munich -> Budapest Air Canada flight arrives in 12.30 pm. From there they'd need a taxi to the train station and a train to Bratislava which is fairly easy to catch or a bus. Altogether about 4 hours.

2. "Danube Waltz" departs late after dinner (around 9 pm) from Bratislava. So they'd catch that cruise even if no transfers were provided: no doubts here.

However and this is the most important question: does it make sense to catch a cruise in Europe for 4 days only instead of 7? In my opinion: No.

But if it was "Grand European Tour", which is 15 days - definitely Yes.

I jumped on this thread because I am researching some river cruise opportunities. I agree with the good information about travel insurance ( I don't travel without it) and arriving at your embarkation city a few days early. The more flight connections you have the greater the odds are of having flight problems. I was surprised that Viking gave you no support and did nothing to help you. Yes, I have had the cruise line book my flights before and have had problems even getting seat assignments. Often you book a cruise/air package and are locked into the cruise line's flight choices. If you can get an air deviation you can pay extra for your package and select your own flights. I do this often because I fly a few days early to guarantee I will not have problems like you experienced. But in life nothing is guaranteed.

Guess if we decide to book with Viking we will definitely have to book our own flights.

Marion

I jumped on this thread because I am researching some river cruise opportunities. I agree with the good information about travel insurance

Guess if we decide to book with Viking we will definitely have to book our own flights.

Marion

Never say never...cruise lines ,in general , and viking in particular oFTEN have killer air fare prices when you buy thru them. Some in our group flew for $100 last dec for a danube Waltz.

But to minimize your risks, no matter who you arrange flights with, fly in early, or limit your connections or being able to quickly think on your feet and know how to make alternative arrangements in a flash are all good " insurance" plans.

I think Viking has chosen NOT to post on this thread because the OP has disappeared and is likely a one post wonder.

IF they should persevere both here and with customer service, the OP and CC may hear from Viking here on CC ( in my experience this happens)

Killer airfares are not a risk I want to take if they don't tell you the carrier or the route until it's too late to do anything about it (I have seen this scenario on many threads here).

The one time we bought airfare through the cruise line was on AMA. I researched the non-stop flights I wanted and asked my TA if AMA could beat the price -- they were a little higher but included transfers at both ends, which made it a great deal. These were regular tickets, so I was able to pay for Economy Plus upgrades and I got frequent flyer credit.

OP's story sounds like what I dread cruise line airfare turns out to be.

But to minimize your risks, no matter who you arrange flights with, fly in early, or limit your connections or being able to quickly think on your feet and know how to make alternative arrangements in a flash are all good " insurance" plans.

Not everyone has the luxury of time to go in ahead - especially if you are booking a package (cruise, or cruise + land component) that lasts two weeks.

My "plan B" always includes looking at "the next flight" out. If you get delayed for some reason, when *is* the next flight onward?? I have chosen not to go through Munich on more than one occasion when the next flight was the next day. I would sooner take my chances with Frankfurt if I know that I can always catch another flight later the same day if I miss my connection.

Just my way of planning....

Fran

P.S. And we NEVER travel without travel insurance....

Killer airfares are not a risk I want to take if they don't tell you the carrier or the route until it's too late to do anything about it (I have seen this scenario on many threads here).

The one time we bought airfare through the cruise line was on AMA. I researched the non-stop flights I wanted and asked my TA if AMA could beat the price -- they were a little higher but included transfers at both ends, which made it a great deal. These were regular tickets, so I was able to pay for Economy Plus upgrades and I got frequent flyer credit.

OP's story sounds like what I dread cruise line airfare turns out to be.

In my case, i got to pick my airline, and my seats from the viking custom air rep after i had my research and knew what flights were available and which ones i wanted ( and i deliberately stayed away from Air Canada). AND got the "killer airfare".

Curious if you have ever sailed with Viking? Yes, there have been many many issues with Viking, but also with other River cruise lines, they are not alone. Should Viking make them whole again, I don't think so, they are not responsible for the airlines canceling the OP's flight. And if the OP choose not to buy Travel Insurance, well whose fault is that, not Vikings!

Viking has many many very happy customers and this one couples airline experience does not define the Viking experience this frankly could have happened with any cruise air.

Could Viking have handled it better, yes likely but I think the OP had unrealistic expectations of "Viking taking care of everything". When traveling I always "Plan for the worst and hope for the best".

Ok my two cents!

You will see from my list of cruises that I haven't cruised with Viking.

I expressed empathy to OP, because I was appalled by the lack of customer service given, in this instance.

With regard to travel insurance, as has been stated already, not all insurance policies cover flight cancellation/mechanical problems. Most of those on offer in my country don't!