Medallion Lapel Pins... All Gone and 1-5 Star Lapel Pins...

IRL_Joanie

Interesting. Now there's a distinction in the meaningfulness of the actual days sailed pins and the cruise credit days pins.

Wonder why? If the pins are about HAL culture or whatever, aren't both types of pins equally important?:confused:

Yes, there is a difference. The mariner pins count all the spending - so those in suites accumulate faster. Plus on board spending, shore excursions whatever. And they get some perks for it :)

Sorry if the post offended. But the copper, silver, etc. pins represent real days sailed. It doesn't matter if you are in a verandah, inside cabin or a suite.

It is just true days sailed.

So, for some they are meaningful as they represent the real number of days you have cruised. ;) Hoping this makes sense?

but since those pins are now gone, it seems the discussion is now moot.

Edited by kazu

It was a comment appropriate to the level of discourse in this thread.

. . . BTW - anyone know where I can can get a pair of 3 Star Mariner earrings for my wife?

I don't know but if you find Mariner earrings, please let us know where. I would like some if they aren't too large.

Maybe you could have a pair made?

Since you find that distasteful, I suppose you do not clap for the people that are announced that have sailed x days on your cruise either.

You are correct. I do not clap for the people that are announced that have sailed x days on my cruise as it does not warrant an applause any more than when Air Canada announces that it's Super Elite passengers may have priority boarding on the plane. You do not hear a round of applause at the airport gate when that happens so why would I applaud on a cruise ship? It makes no sense.

Yes, there is a difference. The mariner pins count all the spending - so those in suites accumulate faster. Plus on board spending, shore excursions whatever. And they get some perks for it :)

Sorry if the post offended. But the copper, silver, etc. pins represent real days sailed. It doesn't matter if you are in a verandah, inside cabin or a suite.

It is just true days sailed.

So, for some they are meaningful as they represent the real number of days you have cruised. ;) Hoping this makes sense?

but since those pins are now gone, it seems the discussion is now moot.

Er, I know the difference in how one earns the pins. And your post didn't offend me. I just thought it was telling that you specified that your DH wears the actual days sailed pin . . . the implication (to me) was that he isn't so uncouth as to wear the cruise credit days pin.

My cruise credit days are meaningful to me, too. I hope that those who value the pins so much (not just you, those who've said so on this thread) aren't dismissing the value the cruise credit day pins have to some of us. That would be just a smidge ironic.

Edited by hrhdhd

Er, I know the difference in how one earns the pins. And your post didn't offend me. I just thought it was telling that you specified that your DH wears the actual days sailed pin . . . the implication (to me) was that he isn't so uncouth as to wear the cruise credit days pin.

My cruise credit days are meaningful to me, too. I hope that those who value the pins so much (not just you, those who've said so on this thread) aren't dismissing the value the cruise credit day pins have to some of us. That would be just a smidge ironic.

I don't believe anyone has said they do not value the cruise credit days Mariner Pins/Program that runs concurently with the Mariner Medallion Program. We like the Five Star Mariner benefits we receive for those cruise credit days. :)

no dismissal from me nor my DH and I'm sorry if I gave you that impression.

To be honest - I don't find the 4* mariner pin nearly as nice as the other.

Just a personal opinion but no dismissal was meant to the cruise credit (mariner) pins. that wasn't the intent of my post :o;)

Saga Cruises.

Britannia Club.

Highest level.... Sapphire 500 days

For each level there is a series of pins... and best of all.... would be great for HAL....

Your names displayed on the board THE HALL OF FAME!!!!!! That even beats HAL medalions!

Sapphire Membership

Cruise 500 nights or more to become a Sapphire member and receive:

• Exclusive members' offers on selected cruises
  • A special on-board cocktail party
  • Welcome bottle of champagne in your cabin
  • Members' lapel pin
  • Members' luggage label
  • Membership card
  • Regular newsletter
  • Priority brochure mailings so you can take advantage of early booking discounts
  • A dedicated Britannia Club booking line
  • Free on-board laundry

PLUS

• Exclusive 10% discount off selected items purchased on board
  • Extended private chauffeur service up to a 250-mile radius on all cruises
  • Private cocktail party for up to 16 people during each cruise you book or £100 credit towards your shore excursions (one per household)
  • Your name in the 'Hall of Fame'
  • One half-price cruise of up to 16 nights for you and a friend

AND

• when you have cruised more than 1,000 nights you will receive a further FREE cruise of up to 22 nights

I just hate to say it, but some of this thread sounds like sour grapes to me.

I think what you are seeing is an indication of the different wants and needs of HAL's newer and younger cruiser versus it's traditional cruiser. It's a great example of the very challenge that HAL faces in trying to attract new customers to its brand.

As a brand, I think that HAL finds itself in the same position that Cadillac did a couple of decades ago - its average buyer was in their 70s and unless it could attract a new and younger buyer, there soon would be no one left to buy a Cadillac. Cadillac had to not only manufacturer new automobiles, but it also had to manufacturer new buyers. HAL is in a very similar position.

I am not meaning any offence when I state this, HAL is known as the "grey" line with a passenger base that tends to be older. A loyal, well established customer base is great for profits today, but if most of that customer base is north of 70, it is detrimental for long term sustainability. HAL must change in order to ensure its continued existence.

The good news is that HAL is changing. The Eurodam and the NA are great indications of the change that is needed, and the Pinnacle class ships will most likely bring in a new era for the cruise line with lots of features and changes that will attract new passengers.

Edited by cbr663

In the end of the day every passenger eventually gets to be 95 years old!!!!!! ( Heavens hope one day we all will be!) But every aged... AGED.... and that does that mean that the young passenger will do the same things that they want when they are older. We get older, different choices... our fun will be different young to older. I say let the ships say exactly they are as they same.... let the older passengers will eventually joining HAL and will be happy with the choice. We are not going to stay a Carnival or RCI or NCL cruiser for the end of their days!

Stephen

In the end of the day every passenger eventually gets to be 95 years old!!!!!! ( Heavens hope one day we all will be!) But every aged... AGED.... and that does that mean that the young passenger will do the same things that they want when they are older. We get older, different choices... our fun will be different young to older. I say let the ships say exactly they are as they same.... let the older passengers will eventually joining HAL and will be happy with the choice. We are not going to stay a Carnival or RCI or NCL cruiser for the end of their days!

Stephen

very valid point Stephen. I would like to add if I may, that the baby boomer segment is the single largest demographic in the cruising market. They are not all 70+, but many are retired or semi- retired and have the time to do those longer cruises ;)

very valid point Stephen. I would like to add if I may, that the baby boomer segment is the single largest demographic in the cruising market. They are not all 70+, but many are retired or semi- retired and have the time to do those longer cruises ;)

Exactly. Worse for the younger cruisers, they may well have the income for a high standard or longer cruise like a world cruise, but they are tied their desks. Horrible! Thankfully I made a world cruise in early 40s and it was a great ship... the s.s. ROTTERDAM... in those GREAT OLD DAYS!!!!!

Stephen

I recently stumbled into my Able and Cadet Mariner certificates. Somewhere I have a Grand Mariner that I remember receiving on Noordam 3. I also remember some sort of medallion but not sure what it was for.

Sailed a lot on HAL ships until 1987- we all know what happened in 1988.

We took a break from cruising until this year as vacations were spent in our "second home" Key West. We did one Acapulco to Seattle in 1995 on Statendam for a break and now have decided to return to at least annual cruises.

Evidently the pre- Carnival cruises don't count as only our 1995 cruise on Statendam shows on Mariner Account.

So, we started over and on our first night on board in May we hit 2 star and likely will hit 3 on our next.

Have some fabulous memories from the "old days" though.

Evidently the pre- Carnival cruises don't count as only our 1995 cruise on Statendam shows on Mariner Account.

So, we started over and on our first night on board in May we hit 2 star and likely will hit 3 on our next.

They count; it's more likely the computer records are faulty, as computers weren't so sophisticated back then.

If you can develop a list of ships, dates, and perhaps itineraries, and submit it to the Mariner Society, they will double check their records and may be able to give you full credit for days sailed.

My records go back to 1978, and I have full credit.

Until I started reading this, I was looking forward to receiving our gold medallions on our next cruise. It's too bad that so many seem to find this all very silly! If anyone has their gold pins in a drawer and would never wear them, I'd be happy to wear it! :)

I think what you are seeing is an indication of the different wants and needs of HAL's newer and younger cruiser versus it's traditional cruiser. It's a great example of the very challenge that HAL faces in trying to attract new customers to its brand.

As a brand, I think that HAL finds itself in the same position that Cadillac did a couple of decades ago - its average buyer was in their 70s and unless it could attract a new and younger buyer, there soon would be no one left to buy a Cadillac. Cadillac had to not only manufacturer new automobiles, but it also had to manufacturer new buyers. HAL is in a very similar position.

I am not meaning any offence when I state this, HAL is known as the "grey" line with a passenger base that tends to be older. A loyal, well established customer base is great for profits today, but if most of that customer base is north of 70, it is detrimental for long term sustainability. HAL must change in order to ensure its continued existence.

The good news is that HAL is changing. The Eurodam and the NA are great indications of the change that is needed, and the Pinnacle class ships will most likely bring in a new era for the cruise line with lots of features and changes that will attract new passengers.

You neglect to factor that as the 60 year olds become 65 years old, the 55 year olds turn 60 and the 50 year olds turn 55. There is a constant stream of all of us aging. When the current 70 plus year olds stop cruising and/or die off, the supply of seniors does not end. It is an ongoing process of all of us aging a day at a time.

For those hale, strong, young 'uns among us, don't forget we were once you and if you are very fortunate you may once upon a time become us and you can be HAL's greys that comprise a large number of their loyal Mariners. Don't brush aside so thoughtlessly........ you will someday be us. While we are HAL's present, you are their future.

Here's a reality check: Your young age is not frozen in time. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

They count; it's more likely the computer records are faulty, as computers weren't so sophisticated back then.

If you can develop a list of ships, dates, and perhaps itineraries, and submit it to the Mariner Society, they will double check their records and may be able to give you full credit for days sailed.

My records go back to 1978, and I have full credit.

You are absolutely correct. All HAL cruises from whatever year count toward days aboard. Produce any sort of proof /detail of sailing and Mariner's Society will be happy to credit them to your account.

If you can give them name of ship and sail date or a copy of anything that would havve been indicative you were on the ship. If you know cabin number and/or length of sailing, that would be wonderful.

Good luck. Please let us know if you are able to provide enough info in order to be credited the days.

Until I started reading this, I was looking forward to receiving our gold medallions on our next cruise. It's too bad that so many seem to find this all very silly! If anyone has their gold pins in a drawer and would never wear them, I'd be happy to wear it! :)

Sorry, but we wear ours. Good for you to what to wear them! Great attitude!

RuthC was able to get her Gold pin by contacting the Mariner Society: this is always worth a try. Hope you are successful. Congratulations on reaching Gold soon!

How nice would it be if some of the sour reponders could manage to find a bit of happiness for those of us who enjoy such a simple tradition. It hurts no one; it provides some of us with a chance to enjoy wonderful memories; we have an opportunity to meet others who have sailed a huge number of days that we may be unable to identify without seeing their medallions; we enjoy the reception and I've mentioned how happy I am to receive the photo of DH and me with our Medallions standing with Captain and Hotel Manager.

It would be so lovely if you could find a tiny little place within you to soften your sterness and disparagement toward us and perhaps smile at bit to see people getting joy and pleasure from such a small, innocent activity.

We all have enough pain and unhappiness to cope with through the years that by the time someone has sailed 800+ days on the same cruise line, that little moment of pleasure on each ship seems a small enough thing for others to be respectful and let us enjoy.

If not, well, there's little that can be said other than I hope you find your private joys also in places that are so innocent to others.

You have no way to know the pain in our lives because most of us don't tell you. We try to counter the pain with what joys matter to us. Some of us have to search for that pleasure for a variety of reasons. Please try to be a bit more tolerant. Someday it just might be you.

Edited by sail7seas

How nice would it be if some of the sour reponders could manage to find a bit of happiness for those of us who enjoy such a simple tradition. It hurts no one; it provides some of us with a chance to enjoy wonderful memories; we have an opportunity to meet others who have sailed a huge number of days that we may be unable to identify without seeing their medallions; we enjoy the reception and I've mentioned how happy I am to receive the photo of DH and me with our Medallions standing with Captain and Hotel Manager.

It would be so lovely if you could find a tiny little place within you to soften your sterness and disparagement toward us and perhaps smile at bit to see people getting joy and pleasure from such a small, innocent activity.

We all have enough pain and unhappiness to cope with through the years that by the time someone has sailed 800+ days on the same cruise line, that little moment of pleasure on each ship seems a small enough thing for others to be respectful and let us enjoy.

If not, well, there's little that can be said other than I hope you find your private joys also in places that are so innocent to others.

You have no way to know the pain in our lives because most of us don't tell you. We try to counter the pain with what joys matter to us. Some of us have to search for that pleasure for a variety of reasons. Please try to be a bit more tolerant. Someday it just might be you.

Sail Thank you for this post and your others on this thread.

You are so right and you explain things so well. Some people cannot understand this, so just let it go and enjoy.

In relating this thread to my DH, he keeps saying it is impossible to explain how we feel, but you have done a such a good job.

Really hope to meet you some day. Look for the pins!

Edited by SilvertoGold

:) Thank you Sail, for those wise words.:)

Edited by OVgirl

What exactly is a sour responder? And why does any of this have to do with pain in your life? We all have something, as you said - we don't all choose to advertise it on a forum. I will say again - we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I in no way have been sour about those who choose to wear their pins, medals, or made any reference to pain in their lives. I was told to re-read Sail and KK's earlier posts to change my mind, but I knew that Sail and KK usually respect others' opinions. I cannot speak to anyone else's opinion, just state my own - which again, is that I do not choose to wear the pin etc.

Just because we don't all agree doesn't mean there is a right and a wrong.

Edited by startwin

What exactly is a sour responder? And why does any of this have to do with pain in your life? We all have something, as you said - we don't all choose to advertise it on a forum. I will say again - we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I in no way have been sour about those who choose to wear their pins, medals, or made any

reference to pain in their lives. I was told to re-read Sail and KK's earlier posts to change my mind, but I knew that Sail and KK usually respect others' opinions. I cannot speak to anyone else's opinion, just state my own - which again, is that I do not choose to wear the pin etc. Just because we don't all agree doesn't mean there is a right and wrong.

If you sincerely are searching for our meaning, kindly reread by most recent post.

If you cannot understand that, fine.

You probably never will not matter now many times we try to reword a description of our feelings. That also is fine.

If you are so inclined, give my words a moment's thought. Rather than arguing the point, you just might find something you can agree with........ or maybe you cannot but I will know I have tried hard to express myself in a way that is inoffensive to all yet description to many.

No one suggested anyone who does not wish to wear a pin or a Medallion. However, some of us suggested we be afforded the understanding for those who wish to wear ours to not be called names and be described using very insulting words. You don't like the pins; don't wear it. We like the pins; please be respectful and kind and try to understand our desire to wear our pins impacts you in no negative way whatsoever. Ignore us if you wish.

Wishing you all the very best in the New Year...... my resolution is to try very hard to have an open mind and a warm and open heart to all I encounter in the days going forward. I am making sincere effort to understand other people's point of view though, certainly, I never plan to always agree. :)

Good Health and Happiness to all here on CC. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I recently stumbled into my Able and Cadet Mariner certificates. Somewhere I have a Grand Mariner that I remember receiving on Noordam 3. I also remember some sort of medallion but not sure what it was for.

Sailed a lot on HAL ships until 1987- we all know what happened in 1988.

We took a break from cruising until this year as vacations were spent in our "second home" Key West. We did one Acapulco to Seattle in 1995 on Statendam for a break and now have decided to return to at least annual cruises.

Have some fabulous memories from the "old days" though.

Ahoy!

You shouldn't really have any problem getting any credits for earlier cruises. As mentioned, just contact the Mariner Society by phone or email.

I got 14 days of credit for a 14 day Caribbean cruise I took as a child aboard the Statendam in 1958. Good luck.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)