HAL's 5-Star Flight Experience?

zorrosuncle

Hi –

Considering the millions of dollars that HAL spends on air purchases for their guests on each of the four major carriers each year, why can’t HAL flex their buying muscle and insist on a little extra treatment for their passengers on the flight?

I constantly find myself boarding last, having no place for a carry-on, being treated as second-class, charged with extra fees, etc. All that HAL has to do is tell the airlines that if their customers aren’t given premier treatment that they will take their business to another carrier that will provide it. Period! Money talks.

HAL markets their cruise as a 5-star experience, and they should consider the attached flight they offer as part of that product. I certainly do.

ZU

It won't happen.

HAL waits until about 30 days before the cruise before they book flights. And the choose the cheapest routes available no matter how many connections you have to make. By that time the best seats have been booked by people who are paying higher prices than what HAL is charging you. And it doesn't make any difference what carrier HAL chooses for you to fly on.

Would you book a cruise through an airline?

I certainly would not.

Why would any intelligent person book an air ticket through a cruise line?

Many, many years ago, the cruise lines and the airlines considered themselves "partners in travel".

Those days are gone.

The airlines now consider cruise lines as direct competitors for the tourist dollar.

Any cruise line attempting to book discounted tickets through any airline will get exactly that - discounted flights. In this case, you don't even get what you paid for.

Anyone naïve enough to book air tickets through any cruise line can expect the very worst seating, worst itinerary, and worst overall service.

Most airlines have more business than they can handle. Why would they cave in to a cruise line begging for discounted tickets when they can sell those same tickets at a higher fare to the general public?

I know the rule about saying "never", but..............

I would never book my airfare thru HAL. I get better routes, better deals, and better perks going through the airline and/or credit card programs to which I belong. I refuse to take the dregs of the schedules and I don't want a 3rd party in between me and the airline when there's a problem.

I generally never use 3rd party travel sites like Orbitz or Expedia, either. If booked thru a consolidator, it certainly seems that if there is a problem during travel, the traveler is NOT the priority because it's the consolidator that's viewed as the customer. I'll only book things thru Costco because I'm a member there and I can easily pursue a grievance.

We generally fly in at LEAST the day before, we fly out whenever it suits us, and we buy travel insurance in case there's a glitch. I feel much better doing that than relying on someone else [HAL] to plan my flights.

I agree with everything written above.

The only time I would dream of booking a flight through a cruise line MIGHT be for an open jaw transatlantic/transpacific flight and then I'd think about it long and hard.

The cruise line only cares how much they pay. They don't care about convenience or comfort for the traveler, they don't care if you have three connections and travel three times the number of hours you could have traveled.

You may wish to think about booking your own air in the future.

Catch a taxi at the airport or a shuttle and you can manage just fine on your own.

It won't happen.

HAL waits until about 30 days before the cruise before they book flights. And the choose the cheapest routes available no matter how many connections you have to make. By that time the best seats have been booked by people who are paying higher prices than what HAL is charging you. And it doesn't make any difference what carrier HAL chooses for you to fly on.

I booked mine through HAL. I had my flight choices as I was booking the cruise. I was given flight times and numbers and paid the current rate the airline was charging. Maybe if I had used their flex plan offer it might have been different, but I knew what I was purchasing right then and there (and paid for it upfront too).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I booked mine through HAL. I had my flight choices as I was booking the cruise. I was given flight times and numbers and paid the current rate the airline was charging. Maybe if I had used their flex plan offer it might have been different, but I knew what I was purchasing right then and there (and paid for it upfront too).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I book the same way. I have in the past seen ships cancel their trips for various reasons -- damages, illness, and sometimes a late charter opportunities which guarantee the line a full ship. If I were to purchase my own air, I would lose all that money unless it was a refundable ticket. Then I would have to pay out a lot of extra dollars for that choice. But if HAL does the cancelling, I get a full refund. There are other benefits as well.

ZU

I book the same way. I have in the past seen ships cancel their trips for various reasons -- damages, illness, and sometimes a late charter opportunities which guarantee the line a full ship. If I were to purchase my own air, I would lose all that money unless it was a refundable ticket. Then I would have to pay out a lot of extra dollars for that choice. But if HAL does the cancelling, I get a full refund. There are other benefits as well.

ZU

You know the up side and the down side.

We each get to make a choice.

As long as you know the pros and cons, you make an educated decision.

Happy traveling. :)

I used the cruiseline air once and it actually worked out well. My travel agency and Celebrity had made a package deal including airfare, 3 days hotel before the cruise, the cruise and all transfers. We actually got upgraded on the flight home which was nice. Even though this was a good experience I probably would not use the cruise air again. I have read too many stories of having to fly in the day of the cruise, no choice of carriers or routes, no help from cruise line if flight cancelled, etc. The only time I would consider it would be a one way transatlantic which usually cost more than a roundtrip ticket if bought on your own.

I usually book all our air except when doing a TA. Last TA and the one coming up I had HAL book our flight from Venice (last year) and Barcelona next April on Lufthansa to Boston. The April '14 flight is $507 US each. That is way less cost than booking with Lufthansa directly and I got the particular flight I wanted back in October when I booked the cruise.

My reaction the OP is "Oh....the arrogance." Because you are a cruiser (1 of nearly 20 million) you think that an airline should treat you "special?" We think not. You want to be treated special by an airline just cruise with that particular airline over a million miles a year and they will take good care of you with free upgrades, free drinks, etc. But be a frequent cruiser on HAL or any other line and the airlines see you as just one more piece of cargo to be stacked into their sardine cans.

And why in the world let HAL book your air. They do it because it is one more way for them to make money. Their contracts with the airlines often get them a lower price....but that is because they book by large blocks and take whatever the airline wants to give the...which means the flyer often gets whatever is left over.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Most airlines will allow you to apply the value of the ticket, less a rebooking fee, to another flight. You are out much more money paying for HAL's markup. The link below has some information:

http://www.cnn.com/TRAVEL/ADVISOR/ticket.refunds/

Actual canceled cruises are few and far between, and charter bumps happen far in advance. HAL would probably make things good for you if they cancelled or bumped you off a cruise.

igraf

ZU

Would you book a cruise through an airline?

I certainly would not.

Why would any intelligent person book an air ticket through a cruise line?

Many, many years ago, the cruise lines and the airlines considered themselves "partners in travel".

Those days are gone.

The airlines now consider cruise lines as direct competitors for the tourist dollar.

Any cruise line attempting to book discounted tickets through any airline will get exactly that - discounted flights. In this case, you don't even get what you paid for.

Anyone naïve enough to book air tickets through any cruise line can expect the very worst seating, worst itinerary, and worst overall service.

Most airlines have more business than they can handle. Why would they cave in to a cruise line begging for discounted tickets when they can sell those same tickets at a higher fare to the general public?

This may be the first time I have disagreed with you. I usually book my own airfare. A couple of cruises ago Holland America came up with better prices and better flight times and connections than I could find on my own using a dozen internet sites and better than an experienced brick and mortar travel agency could find. I can't explain it, don't understand it, but I check prices and flight times with the cruise line and will buy through them when it makes sense.

It sounds like many of the posters on this thread are unfamiliar with Holland America's Flight Ease program. http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=FlightEase

Convenience, competitive pricing, peace of mind.

BOOKING ASSISTANCE

Call our reservations team. It’s the quickest way to find Fly/Cruise savings on your itinerary. Holland America Line professionals will connect you with competitive flights to and from our ships.

COMPETITIVE PRICING

Current competitive rates from multiple carriers are available through our Travel Professionals or online in a side-by-side comparison.

24-HOUR ASSISTANCE

Holland America Line is there to support you with 24-hour flight assistance.

NEXT PORT PROTECTION

In case of airline delay or cancellation, we’ll take care of any flight changes, if necessary, to join the voyage at the next available port of call.

IMMEDIATE CONFIRMATION

Your flights are confirmed immediately, at the time of air booking.

FLY/CRUISE SAVINGS

To learn more about Flight Ease savings which may be available for your itinerary, please call your Travel Professional or contact us.

Most airlines will allow you to apply the value of the ticket, less a rebooking fee, to another flight. You are out much more money paying for HAL's markup.

That's odd... there was no markup on my flight. Same exact flight would have cost me the same booking it myself. Airlines don't give discounts to 3rd party bookers any more that I'm aware of, they stopped doing that a long time ago and a lot of travel agents don't like to book airfare for that reason now.

If that is the case then I would consider booking through HAL, but only if they let me get the dates, flights and seats that I want. HAL's Flight Ease program appears to be a good option.

On the other hand, airlines might not offer good (or any) ticket service if one buys the the ticket through a 3rd party. I had one airline refuse to help me out when a flight was cancelled because I bought the ticket through my cruise agent. I had to ask my cruise agent to make the change even though the change was entirely the fault of the airline (Air Canada). This would have been a real problem if my agent was suddenly gone for a few days. This would not be a problem with HAL's Flight Ease program.

HAL must be getting some sort of discount if they can match airline interent prices, but then I don't really care if I pay the same.

igraf

That's odd... there was no markup on my flight. Same exact flight would have cost me the same booking it myself. Airlines don't give discounts to 3rd party bookers any more that I'm aware of, they stopped doing that a long time ago and a lot of travel agents don't like to book airfare for that reason now.
Edited by igraf

Hi –

Considering the millions of dollars that HAL spends on air purchases for their guests on each of the four major carriers each year, why can’t HAL flex their buying muscle and insist on a little extra treatment for their passengers on the flight?

I constantly find myself boarding last, having no place for a carry-on, being treated as second-class, charged with extra fees, etc. All that HAL has to do is tell the airlines that if their customers aren’t given premier treatment that they will take their business to another carrier that will provide it. Period! Money talks.

HAL markets their cruise as a 5-star experience, and they should consider the attached flight they offer as part of that product. I certainly do.

ZU

In other words, you want to be treated like a high mileage frequent flyer on an airline. Unless you are that frequent flyer, be prepared to be treated like any old schmo on the plane. Cruise lines often book the cheapest, crappiest flights. For some odd reason, the airlines treat the low end passengers poorly :rolleyes:

I love travelling with my hubby. He does 80+ flight segments a year at full fare. Funny thing when he flys (or I am with him), we get priority security lanes, priority luggage, priority boarding, 3 checked bags per person, upgrades to 1st class and pods. Gee, I wonder why? :D