TSA Pre Approval Screening

Keith1010

We recently flew BUF to FLL and both DH and I got handed these cards (red I think) and told to go to different line, then told we don't have to take off shoes, take liquids out of carry-on etc. We had no idea why but I certainly was happy. I had been suffering with a very sore back and bending to take off and put on shoes was torture. Actually, for most of the cruise DH had to help me on with socks and shoes.

Then on our return flight FLL to BUF, DH gets the same thing but I have to take off the shoes, take out liquids etc. I wonder what criteria they use deciding who gets to do the easier way.

Jade13, maybe I should have applied for Global Entry rather than Pre Check, but I think that's just for expedited processing when you RETURN to the U.S. and has nothing to do with security to get on your flight. However, I could be wrong. I remember reading about it and thinking it wasn't worthwhile for us (probably mostly because of the fee) but I didn't even think about it when we decided to enroll in Pre Check. I guess it applies to flying INTO the U.S. and probably other countries as well. I saw something similar in use at Heathrow, and there was NO line. However, it wasn't clear to me whether the lines were for UK citizens or others, too. The U.S. site (TSA) says that you use a kiosk, have your passport scanned, place your fingers on the scanner, and make a customs declaration.

But back to Pre Check: We got our Known Traveler Numbers today after going yesterday to enroll. That was sure fast! My husband is happy, as he has some travel coming up soon. We'll see how it goes. I suppose how fast the lines move depend upon a number of factors, but at least he (probably) will get the special lines and won't have to remove his shoes, which he hates. Of course, he could still be selected to go through the regular lines as enrolling in Pre Check doesn't guarantee you'll get to use the special lines. If that was the case, more of the bad guys would probably enroll!

As to your question, daisyloo, I would guess that selection for the faster shoes OK line is random for those who have not enrolled in the program.

I am very happy with the program so far.

Edited by roothy123

I have had Global Entry for a couple of years and TSA Pre-check was included from when the program began.

Both are wonderful additions and if they used them as they would in Europe, they would be perfect. The minute they start opening up lines to others that do not have 'status' or take those from other lines 'randomly' , they defeat the purpose of the entire program.

I enter the USA at least 10 times a year and on at least 5 of them they have either had no-one working the Global Entry exit, have told me to wait at the front of this line while they process those from the main line instead or the machines have not worked.

My greatest incentive to join Global Entry was being stuck for 2 hours arriving at Newark customs where they had only 2 agents on duty 'stamping' passports and no control over the US Citizen/ Non-resident lines. I signed up that night.

The funny thing was that they had advertising for Global Entry set up all along the line and the one agent that finally did come out to calm the crowd was telling everyone the benefits of signing up.

Things are getting better and while traveling to the USA is still a challenge, my last two trips were the best yet.

Jade13, maybe I should have applied for Global Entry rather than Pre Check, but I think that's just for expedited processing when you RETURN to the U.S. and has nothing to do with security to get on your flight.

Yes, Global Entry itself is for expedited CBP processing upon RETURN to the US.

BUT.... a side benefit of GE is that it also automatically makes you eligible for PreCheck. :)

Yes, Global Entry itself is for expedited CBP processing upon RETURN to the US.

BUT.... a side benefit of GE is that it also automatically makes you eligible for PreCheck. :)

Does it work the opposite way - am I automatically eligible for GE now that I've been approved for PreCheck? If so, do I still have to pay the $100 for GE, I assume? Usually BWI and Dulles are reasonably fast airports to get through, so I probably won't be willing to pay another $100 for GE. However, perhaps I'll look into it.

My guess is that now that PreCheck has been opened up to more people (and seems very popular, judging from how fast the appointments were snapped up for enrollment), fewer non-enrolled people will be pulled over to go through the Pre-Check lines. I suppose you have to balance security with convenience, but always keeping that element of surprise/not knowing what will happen in order to discourage bad people from doing bad things!

Edited by roothy123

My guess is that now that PreCheck has been opened up to more people fewer non-enrolled people will be pulled over to go through the Pre-Check lines.

On the contrary. GE folks have had PreCheck for a while now (maybe since PreCheck started? I can't recall) It is only very recently that non-enrolled pax have been getting randomly flagged to go through PreCheck. i.e. MORE people are not getting to use PC, and the common expectation is that that will continue, PC will become the norm, and full screening will become just for random pax.

My husband and I went today to my appointment for enrolling in Pre Check. After the local paper announced that new centers were open, it was extremely tough getting an appointment in the Wash. DC area. I had to keep trying until I got a slot that appeared at random (probably a cancelation). My husband had to make one for 2 weeks later. Today was my appointment, and my husband went with me in case there was no line for walk-ins and/or they would take him as well as me. Imagine my surprise when there were 2 people working there with NOBODY in line! We breezed through, with the first person taking me and the other person taking my husband. By the time we were done (in about 10 minutes) 4 more people had walked in, but I would guess that at most, each waited for no more than 10 minutes to get their turn.

All in all, the process was incredibly fast and simple. It took more time to make the appointments (trying on different dates) and it took longer to drive to my appointment (45 minutes) than it did for 2 of us to enroll. Now we're waiting for our numbers so we can see if the lines and process at BWI (Baltimore) will be easier and quicker.

When I applied for GE, I was assigned a number at the time I applied - was that not the case for pre-check? As soon as I completed the interview, I was enrolled and didn't have to wait for the actual card to arrive.

When I applied for GE, I was assigned a number at the time I applied - was that not the case for pre-check? As soon as I completed the interview, I was enrolled and didn't have to wait for the actual card to arrive.

If they assigned a number at that time, they did not mention it. They merely told me that the number would be mailed to me in a letter within X number of days or I could check for it on the Universalenroll.com website. I did that, using the password and user name I had set up to get an appointment. I didn't go on there the same day, but did one or two days later, and found a number had been assigned. The same was true for my husband. I then called the airline my husband would be using next and gave them the number. The letter came in the mail maybe 5 or so days later.

So, no, you do NOT need to wait until you receive a letter as long as you know the number.

What is happening is that at some airports, TSA is sending folks who have NOT been pre-approved over to the Pre-Check line. On a "random" basis, and usually when the Pre-Check line is short to non-existent.

My own two kopeks is that TSA is doing this to utilize the lane equipment, again on a "random" basis, and reduce the lines at the "regular" lanes. Which sorta defeats the whole concept of the "trusted traveler" if random choices are made that result in reduced screening for "non-trusted".

Much like the new CBP kiosk that I used at SEA last week. No need for Global Entry, just walk to the kiosk, scan the passport, hit the "All no" button and off you go with a receipt. They didn't even look at or take the blue customs form. No face to face, just a machine. Let's hear it for secure borders.

Wife and I flew round trip from Denver to Ft. Lauderdale. TSA took us out of the line, pointed to the PRE on our boarding passes, and sent us to the "no shoes" line. We asked why, and were told that we were preapproved. We have never done anything to get preapproved. On the return trip, we also had PRE on the boarding pass, allowing us to circumvent a very, very long line. I took my neighbor to the airport recently, and asked him if he had PRE on his boarding pass. Both he and his wife did, and neither of them knew anything about it.

Even though I travel a few 1000 miles per year (that's a laugh-just my monthly LAX to NYC trips comprise more than 65,000 miles a year), I absolutely WILL NOT sign up for Global Entry, Pre Check (although offered as an AA EXP) or any other government program.

Too much government intrusion!!!! Call me an alarmist but next they will be coming for your guns, your medicine (medical marijuana), your house (eminent domain).

I'll stand in line with all the "little people" unless I am at an airport that has a priority line due to my status. When TSA looks at my passport with all the Middle Eastern stamps in it, I get a thorough "looking over". One government agency does not co-ordinate with another any way shape or form. I have a SECRET clearance with badges from DOD and STATE that I have readily produced a couple of times at airports. Don't think I haven't been checked out upside down and sideways. And I STILL get pulled out of any priority line sometimes BECAUSE of all the Middle Eastern stamps. What do they think I was doing over there if I have a SECRET clearance from the US government???? I was VACATIONING in AFGHANISTAN????

STOP the S***T. I refuse to participate in any of the government programs. They are all BOGUS!!!!

Even though I travel a few 1000 miles per year (that's a laugh-just my monthly LAX to NYC trips comprise more than 65,000 miles a year), I absolutely WILL NOT sign up for Global Entry, Pre Check (although offered as an AA EXP) or any other government program.

Too much government intrusion!!!! Call me an alarmist but next they will be coming for your guns, your medicine (medical marijuana), your house (eminent domain).

I'll stand in line with all the "little people" unless I am at an airport that has a priority line due to my status. When TSA looks at my passport with all the Middle Eastern stamps in it, I get a thorough "looking over". One government agency does not co-ordinate with another any way shape or form. I have a SECRET clearance with badges from DOD and STATE that I have readily produced a couple of times at airports. Don't think I haven't been checked out upside down and sideways. And I STILL get pulled out of any priority line sometimes BECAUSE of all the Middle Eastern stamps. What do they think I was doing over there if I have a SECRET clearance from the US government???? I was VACATIONING in AFGHANISTAN????

STOP the S***T. I refuse to participate in any of the government programs. They are all BOGUS!!!!

Well, I think that's a little extreme, especially when you see the questions you have to answer (NOT out of line in my opinion) - but you're entitled to your opinion!

Well, I think that's a little extreme, especially when you see the questions you have to answer (NOT out of line in my opinion) - but you're entitled to your opinion!

I have a SECRET security clearance from both DOD and US State Dept. Do you REALLY think I should have to answer any more questions from TSA (which is a division of Homeland Security which also has to clear me to work in the Middle East)???

What database is the Pre Check, Global Entry info going in to??? The government agencies DO NOT co-ordinate. So I am good in one database but get pulled out of line by TSA because I go back and forth to Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar, Oman, etc. etc.???? How fair is that???

The US government needs no more info from me that what they already have. They checked back to HS for that SECRET security clearance (I am 65). Thank your current administration for the crap!!!!

More like stating facts, however unpleasant they are.

The world in not one gigantic kumbaya moment, either existing or just around the corner. Reality doesn't care about anything - it just exists and we need to know how to deal with it. And if saying that inexperienced travelers are jamming up the pre-check lines, well, in my book, that's a statement of fact, not "bitching".

Have a nice day with your unicorns and rainbows and unrealistic expectations.

:D

TSA Pre✓ used to be great. Now I sometimes go in the regular security lines to avoid all the people who have randomly been given TSA Pre✓and don't bother to educate themselves as to the procedures.

:D

TSA Pre✓ used to be great. Now I sometimes go in the regular security lines to avoid all the people who have randomly been given TSA Pre✓and don't bother to educate themselves as to the procedures.

In their defense, if they are being randomly assigned to the Pre Check line, I can understand why they would be unfamiliar with the procedures. After all, if they never expected to be in that line or didn't know it was a possibility, why would they worry about it ahead of time? I get aggravated too, when they slow the line down, but I blame the system and not them.

In their defense, if they are being randomly assigned to the Pre Check line, I can understand why they would be unfamiliar with the procedures. After all, if they never expected to be in that line or didn't know it was a possibility, why would they worry about it ahead of time?
Exactly. Often security personnel will point passengers to this line or that line as we enter the security area and no explanation is given as to what kind of line it is.

Passengers may not even realize that it is a pre check line unless they notice and read the signs. Many who need reading glasses to read would not be wearing reading glasses at that time.

A person who requires a manual pat down may even be directed to the pre check line.

In their defense, if they are being randomly assigned to the Pre Check line, I can understand why they would be unfamiliar with the procedures. After all, if they never expected to be in that line or didn't know it was a possibility, why would they worry about it ahead of time? I get aggravated too, when they slow the line down, but I blame the system and not them.

:rolleyes:

Most people check in and print boarding passes at home. I would think that if someone saw their boarding pass said TSA Pre✓ and didn't know what it meant, they would a quick online search before their flight. I guess assuming people might like to be prepared is asking a bit much. After all, why is holding up a line because I'm too busy to educate myself a problem for me?

If not, there are signs at the airport explaining the security process. Again, I suppose I shouldn't assume people would bother reading these.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

Most people check in and print boarding passes at home. I would think that if someone saw their boarding pass said TSA Pre✓ and didn't know what it meant, they would a quick online search before their flight. I guess assuming people might like to be prepared is asking a bit much. After all, why is holding up a line because I'm too busy to educate myself a problem for me?

If not, there are signs at the airport explaining the security process. Again, I suppose I shouldn't assume people would bother reading these.

I'm talking about the people who are randomly pulled out of line and directed to the PreCheck line. Their boarding pass isn't going to say anything. As for reading signs at the airport, if they are being randomly pulled out of the regular line, why would they be reading the procedures for the Precheck line if that's not the line they thought they'd be in? Why worry about something that doesn't apply to you? :confused:

I have to disagree. Boarding passes often also give the "booking class" or "fare class", "seq" number, or "conf" code. Do you really expect Joe Traveler who travels once a year to investigate what all of these notations on his boarding pass mean before he gets to the airport? I think you are asking way too much. And it is not a problem for YOU or ME. It means we spend a few more seconds or minutes in the security line. If we are cutting our time before the flight that close, we have bigger issues. Fortunately most passengers are not the DYKWIA type like it appears some people are.

What is happening is that at some airports, TSA is sending folks who have NOT been pre-approved over to the Pre-Check line. On a "random" basis, and usually when the Pre-Check line is short to non-existent.

My own two kopeks is that TSA is doing this to utilize the lane equipment, again on a "random" basis, and reduce the lines at the "regular" lanes. Which sorta defeats the whole concept of the "trusted traveler" if random choices are made that result in reduced screening for "non-trusted".

Much like the new CBP kiosk that I used at SEA last week. No need for Global Entry, just walk to the kiosk, scan the passport, hit the "All no" button and off you go with a receipt. They didn't even look at or take the blue customs form. No face to face, just a machine. Let's hear it for secure borders.

Nice to know that some people are randomly not being treated like a suspected criminal.

Well, just to close the loop on MY comments, my husband just returned from his first trip using his new Pre Check status. On both ends (Baltimore & Fort Lauderdale) flying Southwest, he said it was great. He got through security faster and easier, and was happy with the experience. Obviously I can't speak for every airline, airport, or person across the country, but as for me, I'm looking forward to a slightly more pleasant experience the next time I fly. Any little improvement to the flying experience (for example, use of cell phones on planes, as long as they're not used for talking while in flight, as I like my peace and quiet!) is good in my book!

Edited by roothy123

If people would just think about what they are about to do, it would cause a lot less stress for everyone. When you get to the belt, that's too late to think about what you are going to do. When you get to your seat on the plane, that's too late to figure out where you will put your bags. When you get out of your seat at the end of the flight, when you step out into the isle, it's too late to try to figure out where you left your carryon. Just consider how much time you spend inconveniencing other people. If each person on a flight wastes 30 seconds when they get to the counter, 30 seconds when they turn in their luggage, 30 seconds when they are pulling out their ticket and ID to have them checked, 30 seconds putting their shoes, bags, laptops etc on the conveyor, 30 seconds taking it off, 30 seconds getting your ticket ready to scan before getting on the plane, 30 seconds finding your seat and a place to put your carryons, 30 seconds standing out in the isle getting your stuff together to get off the plane. I know, you've only wasted a total of 4 minutes of your life, but if there are 20 people just like you on a flight, the poor sap at the back of the line has had 80 minutes of his life wasted by people who were just inconsiderate.

Okay, end of rant. .

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/13/14

Carnival Splendor 11/1/14