Jet Blue

innlady1

An FYI: For anyone traveling today: I just received a JetBlue alert that they're shutting down operations in the Northeast: Boston, JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark, until 10 AM tomorrow. They hope to be fully operational by 3 PM tomorrow.

We're flying JetBlue in 2 1/2 weeks - Boston to FLL. I hope none are hurt by this.

Just got off a RCCL cruise in Tampa (Saturday) Our flight home was on Jet Blue, (To Westchester) our daughters on Jet Blue to Washington. To say that Jet Blue is having a "meltdown" would be an understatement. At LEAST 3/4 of all their flights out of Orlando were massively delayed or canceled, and one of the gate agents told me that it had been that bad since Thursday night. We were lucky. Our flight (6 pm departure) got out at midnight. My daughters (6:20 departure) was canceled at 3 AM. She was told there was no chance of a flight until Wednesday, so she rented a car and drove to Washington...

As a former airline pilot, I can say with certainty that Jet Blue has WAY bigger problems going on than the weather.

I have a small suspicion :rolleyes: Jet Blue and No airline is ever going to tell us the 'whole story' about things that go wrong. Why were they unable to get their crews and planes relocated, get the planes serviced,begin usual scheduling etc? Airlines are not well known these days for giving all the truth all the time.

I feel very sorry for all those people who have waited days to get to their destination. The airlines do nothing to help them...... "it's the weather; not our fault". There are people who have been 'living' in Logan Airport for four days. I'd hate to have to sit beside them when they finally get a flight. No shower !!! Their nerves frayed to a frazzle !! Exhausted !! Doesn't make for a happy flyer.

I'd rather have the airlines err of the side of safety rather than sending tired pilots out to fly equipment that wasn't properly prepared for these harsh weather conditions. Remember when people were stuck on a jetBlue flight for hours and they got burned for that? Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

People want the cheapest flight possible so these days planes fly a lot fuller that they did years ago. When last were you on a plane that had and empty seat in a row of three or even an empty row. So when there are disruptions and cancellations there are not enough empty seats to get everyone accommodated on alternate flights.

Yes, Peter, we get it about full planes.

But only Jet Blue stopped flying out of Logan yesterday.

Delta, American, Southwest etc all resumed flight operations as soon as the runsways were cleared and it was safe. Very thankfully, we've heard of no adverse events happening to those carriers flying out of Logan yesterday and this morning.

Their pilots need rest, their planes had to be relocated and serviced..... why just Jet Blue?

I love Jetblue, I hope they get their act together soon as I have booked them for my cruise in March, not out of Boston, out of Providence..............Maybe I have been lucky over the years, have never had an issue and have always found them to be a great airline, not sure what happened this time.....

I have to say, this is a great lesson learned for us, be sure you have travel insurance, even if its just a flight................

Hope things work out.....

Yes, Peter, we get it about full planes.

But only Jet Blue stopped flying out of Logan yesterday.

Delta, American, Southwest etc all resumed flight operations as soon as the runsways were cleared and it was safe. Very thankfully, we've heard of no adverse events happening to those carriers flying out of Logan yesterday and this morning.

Their pilots need rest, their planes had to be relocated and serviced..... why just Jet Blue?

That's my concern, too. We have round trip tickets to Florida booked on her very, very soon.

Edited by innlady1

I love Jetblue, I hope they get their act together soon as I have booked them for my cruise in March, not out of Boston, out of Providence..............Maybe I have been lucky over the years, have never had an issue and have always found them to be a great airline, not sure what happened this time.....

I have to say, this is a great lesson learned for us, be sure you have travel insurance, even if its just a flight................

Hope things work out.....

We also have been satisfied with Jet Blue. We find their service aboard and experience equal to most domestic first class these days. There really is no first class domestic anymore. Just a wider seat and some horrid food few can actually eat. Jet Blue has been very popular since growing so large a presence in Boston. I opt for them over other carrriers and that is why their action yesterday caught my attention.

S7S, I agree, I take my own food with me on flights.........the food they offer are snacks, basically, or they have food to purchase, which I don't care for..........so I bring my own. This will be the first time I fly out of Providence on Jetblue, I am happy Jetblue is expanding their service territory in New England...............now if let's hope they get their act together.......

An FYI: For anyone traveling today: I just received a JetBlue alert that they're shutting down operations in the Northeast: Boston, JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark, until 10 AM tomorrow. They hope to be fully operational by 3 PM tomorrow.

We're flying JetBlue in 2 1/2 weeks - Boston to FLL. I hope none are hurt by this.

innlady1, thank you for this valuable infomation! :)

How much experience does Jet Blue have with widespread winter storms. I'm thinking that they've dealt with an isolated storm in a region once before but the severity and extent of these storms may be new to them and hope they are learning some valuable lessons.

Roy

Jet Blue has been in Boston's Logan for years. They are a huge presence in our airport. I don't know how long they have been in the northeast or snowbelt states in general.

We had a terrible winter with tons of snow last year and two years prior. Jet Blue most assuredly has dealt with Boston's snow before.

Edited by sail7seas

Jet Blue has been in Boston's Logan for years. They are a huge presence in our airport. I don't know how long they have been in the northeast or snowbelt states in general.

We had a terrible winter with tons of snow last year and two years prior. Jet Blue most assuredly has dealt with Boston's snow before.

JetBlue is a good airline. It is pretty proud of the reputation it has earned. I'm sure their decision was made after giving much consideration to what is best for the company and the customer.

Edited by Typhoon1

JetBlue is a good airline. It is pretty proud of the reputation it has earned. I'm sure their decision was made after giving much consideration to what is best for the company and the customer.

I agree.

Our personal experiece on JetBlue has been fine.

While this week's cancellations were a horrid nightmare for those involved, DH and I most certainly would book and fly JetBlue without hesitation. I just feel awful for people who have spent days trying to get to their destination. I know there an explanation why the other airlines continued operation in Boston and NY yesterday but JetBlue did not. I would be interested to learn the reason.

The airport in Toronto had a ground closure today. It was too cold for the outside workers.

They did a piece on the early news showing all the luggage waiting to be moved, and people sleeping on the floors, line ups for men's washrooms and a woman washing her hair in a sink. A lot of the airlines have put people up in local hotels for the night as well.

Hi

I love jet blue. I love flying Non stop. I have miles on American. I just hate having to fly to Dallas to go any where.

Jet Blue Boston - Seattle Non Stop

America Boston-Dallas- Seattle

Mary

I do' date=' too, Mary. I hope they get back on schedule...have been watching the news on local TV in Boston. [/size']

The word i'm getting on the street is that the issue is a lack of pilots and cabin crews. The new rules for crew rest that came into effect January 1 have been known for years, and all the airlines have ramped up hiring so that they had extra help just in case something like these storms happened... except Jet Blue.

They elected to roll the dice and hope that a series of "system wide" storms would not adversely effect their scheduling. Well, guess what... They are the ONLY carrier to have to shut down for 2 days to get their act together... So they saved a few million on crew costs, and COST them tens of millions in revenue (and how much more in bad feelings)

The word i'm getting on the street is that the issue is a lack of pilots and cabin crews. The new rules for crew rest that came into effect January 1 have been known for years, and all the airlines have ramped up hiring so that they had extra help just in case something like these storms happened... except Jet Blue.

They elected to roll the dice and hope that a series of "system wide" storms would not adversely effect their scheduling. Well, guess what... They are the ONLY carrier to have to shut down for 2 days to get their act together... So they saved a few million on crew costs, and COST them tens of millions in revenue (and how much more in bad feelings)

Reading on a pilot website, it seems to be the opinion of many in the business that the new rules regarding pilot rest times, like those for truck drivers, may in fact have totally unexpected consequences, none of which will benefit the airlines, the pilots or the long suffering traveling public.