First time cruiser - nervous about being sea sick!

JNow05

Hello,

I'm sailing on my first cruise next Saturday (Princess, 7-night out of Houston, Texas) and I'm very nervous about being sea sick. I am prone to car sickness and other motion sickness. My doctor gave me the "patch", but since I have no experience with this, I was hoping folks could give me some advice, tips, or share how the "patch" has worked for you. Thank you!!

Hello,

I'm sailing on my first cruise next Saturday (Princess, 7-night out of Houston, Texas) and I'm very nervous about being sea sick. I am prone to car sickness and other motion sickness. My doctor gave me the "patch", but since I have no experience with this, I was hoping folks could give me some advice, tips, or share how the "patch" has worked for you. Thank you!!

I cannot speak to the patches but I bought a "Relief Band" before our first cruise. It was expensive $128 but it was a very wonderful for not only that cruise but two more, air travel and anytime I might get motion sick. I was able to enjoy our excursion on a small boat in the Gulf of Alaska when many people were multi-shades of green. It runs on watch batteries. I think Sharper Image may carry it although I ordered it on-line.

It is my understanding that you should not drink while using the patches. It can also make you sleepy. I did not want to possibly end up of not enjoying Alaska in all its glory which was why I went with the Relief Band. It provides electrical stimulation on your wrist that you have total control of how intense.

I was told that making sure I got plenty of fresh air also helps with motion sickness.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I went on my first cruise December 14th and I took Bonine right before I got on the ship. We had rough seas the first night and I took another one. I never got sick, but I took one every morning and one every night. I was on the Carnival Fantasy.

I get sick at the thought of being sea sick!!!

I've used the patch in the past with much success, but understand you won't be able to spit for the entire cruise (it makes your mouth REALLY dry). BUT, some people have negative side effects from it, so it you are thinking of using it, you might try it before you go, just in case!

Now I've all but quit using it tho. I find I don't really need it. I do bring along meclizine just in case, but find the ships to be quite stable in most seas. I have also researched that ginger is almost as effective as meclizine without the side effects. Bear in mind that you will need REAL ginger, not ginger candy. I got some chews at Whole Foods, but you could find them elsewhere.

The cruise lines have a vested interest in you having fun.....which means NOT getting sick, so they put out the stabilizers or slow down when the seas get rough.

Good luck, enjoy your cruise.....and tell us all about it when you get home!!! :D

Edited by CaroleSS

Hello,

I agree with CaroleSS I get sick at the thought of sea sickness. I can't even sit in a porch swing. However, I can go on a cruise and am just fine. I use a sea band. It is an acupressure band that uses pressure points to help nausea. It works very well for me and I used it while pregnant too. Truly a lifesaver since I never did get over my 24 hour a day morning sickness. My brother, who has problems too, uses ginger and that helps him. I tease him and tell him I will buy him preggie pops. :D My son uses the sea bands along with me. You can get them at any drug store for about 10$.

The important thing to remember is that everyone has to find what works for them. Some other things to help. Don't get hungry, keeping yourself from that kind of over hungry feeling will help. Do something before you get sick, a lot of remedies won't work after you feel ill. Don't drink so much that you wake up reeling. Sometimes I find a small drink helps me not to feel sick.

Oh and my dad used the patch and it helped him, he does not drink tho, so I don't know about mixing it with alcohol.

Honestly if anyone that gets as sea sick as I do can cruise, you will be fine, just stay on top of it. And don't worry about it, most likely you won't even feel the motion and therefore won't get sick.

i get sick too. we got a room in the middle of the boat, on a higher floor and i took Bonine. never had an issue.

it was on the 8th floor. my buddy had a room in the front of the ship on the 2nd floor and you can really tell the difference.

middle. high. Bonine. you'll be fine.

Hello,

I get car motion sickness raelly bad in the back seat and/or if I try to read anything. My first cruise I took meds and it made me feel icky. Almost like when you get your pupils dialated. My second cruise I found I didn't really ever need the meds. I would really try it without the meds first. I think you will be surprized at how stable the boat really is. Now, having said that, if the seas do get rough laying down and not fighting the movement is best. Kinda like laying in a hammock...lulls you to sleep.

My husband uses the patch, has never gotten sea sick and (And I hate him for this) his mouth doesn't get dry. H

I can't use the patch because I literally can't swallow, nevertheless spit (or sleep) my mouth gets so dry, so since my second cruise I use bonine and ginger and never had a problem since then.

Also realize the ship's doctor has seasick medicine which will knock you out for 12-24 hours, but is very very very highly effective. So worst case if the patch doesn't work, or you have to take it off, you wont miss the entire cruise.

Because honestly I'm convinced 1/2 the problem with sea sickness is worrying about it.

I always pop a sea sickness pill before embarking and maybe one or two more the first day. I also watch what I eat at the buffet when I first get on until i get my "sea legs". I don't go crazy drinking right of the bat either. Just go easy the first day, there's plenty of time to eat like a pig and drink like a fish.

i've never used a patch or a wristband, bur I know a lot of people who do.

Besides, on the real rocky rides(which most of us have been on) even the crew gets sea sick so you'll be in good company.

I've not tried the patches, since I like my wine with dinner. Plus, I understand it can make your vision a bit blurry and I like to read a lot on cruises, so it just never appealed to me.

But, do try it out before you go, to see if you have side effects from it.

I've tried the less drowsy formula of Dramamine, made me too sleepy even taking it at bedtime for the next day. I've tried Bonine, same thing, generic meclezine, same thing, it all made me groggy. Ginger gave me indigestion. Seabands work pretty well for me, I just have the elastic ones that cost around $10 at the drug store.

About 10 cruises ago, I just decided I wasn't going to get seasick any longer and now I just don't. My big problem is called mal de debarquement, where you keep your sea legs after disembarking. Not fun and it lasts me about a week. That is when I cut a less drowsy Dramamine in half, take it at night for the first week off the ship…seems to help a great deal.

Edited by Happy ks

I cannot use the patch because of EXTREME dry mouth and it affecting my vision.

I have used Bonine, which I took a couple of nights before we left and then one at night while on the ship. (now I pack it in my medicine kit but have not needed to take it in awhile)

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

FWIW, my DW can get seasick standing on a dock. However, when cruising, she doesn't. I think it has to do with the slower long wave motion of the ship rather than the bouncy faster motion on small boats.

In November she rode two different water taxies and didn't suffer. Of course, a lot has to do with sea conditions...but, you may be surprised that do not not get sick on the cruise.....

The infirmary on board has shots that they can give you for a price. Years ago on a TA on the QE 2 we hit horrible sea conditions on day 2. Put one of my daughters against her mother in a fight over the toilet bowl. I took them both down for the shot and they were fine within an hour although sleepy. It wasnt cheap at $50 a shot and that was in 1992 but it fixed them right up when over the counter meds were not.

My big problem is called mal de debarquement, where you keep your sea legs after disembarking. Not fun and it lasts me about a week. That is when I cut a less drowsy Dramamine in half, take it at night for the first week off the ship…seems to help a great deal.

Is that what it is called? It hit me pretty bad after the last cruise, for about 2 weeks. People told me my head was bobbling a bit. Maybe I should wear my sea bands after the cruise too, never thought about it. :)

The infirmary on board has shots that they can give you for a price. Years ago on a TA on the QE 2 we hit horrible sea conditions on day 2. Put one of my daughters against her mother in a fight over the toilet bowl. I took them both down for the shot and they were fine within an hour although sleepy. It wasnt cheap at $50 a shot and that was in 1992 but it fixed them right up when over the counter meds were not.

I'm not sure if it's the same drug, but I always have a current prescription for Phenergan (nausea medicine) along with me. I ask my doctor to prescribe it and she does. It does put me to sleep for 4 or more hours, but if you're sick you'd rather be asleep anyway. Luckily, I've never needed it. I take ginger capsules beginning the night before the cruise and continue one every 12 hours throughout the cruise.

Edited by NorthCarolinaBelle

My mother tried the patch successfully on her one and only cruise (she was in her 70s). She gets motion sickness at the turn of a key, but she was fine according to her.

But here's the thing, what will work for a friend, might not work for you. Better to try out different remedies while still on line and see what affects you. Talk to your doctor if you're on prescriptions. Take a few different types of remedies with you for your trip as it's always possible that one type doesn't work for you in actual practice.

For me, many meds and OTCs make me drowsy. Even ones that say they don't cause drowsiness. The last few times I took ginger chews and candied ginger and these were on a rough seas itinerary. The first two of these we had midships cabins and the last time an aft one (all three times, I marked our booking "no upgrade").

everyone else has given good advice, so I'm just one more post to help ease your mind. my favorite sea-sickness prevention is ginger pills (you can find them in most pharmacies with the vitamins and supplements). the pills are good because the flavor of ginger in the candies is really strong and a lot of people don't like it.

I also second the suggestion to keep food in your tummy and to bring more than one option to see what works best for you.

have a GREAT cruise and let us know how it went :-)

This is from someone who is not a fan of "the Patch."

Use it for a couple of days at home now. In the event you do have an adverse reaction you will be able to get medial care from familiar physicians. Also, you won't be subject to sea sickness if you need to remove it.

Enjoy your trip!