What do you put in your carry on?

cruisentn

Cameras?

Electronics?

Laptops?

Things you might be afraid would get "lost"?

Underwear? toothbrush?

I mean, I guess they can loose luggage, but really, shouldn't it be on the ship if they misplace it?

It has to turn up on there somewhere. lol.

Back to point...

What's in YOUR carryon?

Thanks!

Cameras?

Electronics?

Laptops?

Things you might be afraid would get "lost"?

Underwear? toothbrush?

I mean, I guess they can loose luggage, but really, shouldn't it be on the ship if they misplace it?

It has to turn up on there somewhere. lol.

Back to point...

What's in YOUR carryon?

Thanks!

Cruise documents, meds, change of underwear, extra shirt, bathing suit, cameras, iPods, chargers, books.

Ooh what a fun question! In my carry on for cruising, I'm sure to take the following:

- The 3 "P's" (plastic, pills, paperwork) therefore credit cards, all necessary perscription medication, and all travel documentation and passports

- Bathing Suit (when you get to the ship, you don't have luggage right away and you may want to enjoy the sunshine up on the pool deck when you get onboard)

- Underwear

- a extra top and/or pants (so if your luggage doesn't come to the stateroom in a timely fashion, you can make it to dinner in the dining room without dress code issues)

-Sunglasses

-Money (in necessary currency)

-Something to read (book, magazine, etc.)

-iPod

-Camera

-Pen

-Snacks (chocolate bar, chips, raisins, trail mix, something of that nature)

Cheers!

Alexa (aka cruisepro19)

Cruise documents, meds, change of underwear, extra shirt, bathing suit, cameras, iPods, chargers, books.

So, I'm looking at more of a ROLL on than a CARRY on then? LOL.

That's more stuff than I had originally thought, but then I don't want to loose anything valuable.

And mama said always wear clean drawers. :)

All of our luggage is carried on (the airline), with paperwork, electronics/cameras/binoculars/alarm clock/batteries, toiletry "wet" and "dry" bags, all medications, jewelry, any hobby articles like knitting, and any paper guidebooks in the daypacks.

In the carry-on-sized hard suitcases: Clothes, spare shoes, a few wire hangers and over-the-door hooks, and the larger "first aid" kit I made up for this trip (minus any liquids or creams/balms). We gave these bags to the porters at the port -- by the time I had unpacked the daypacks, the cases were delivered for unpacking, which I finished *just* as muster was called.

Our own coffee/filters, and playing cards/games -- got tucked wherever there was room and I don't remember off hand.

ETA: Alexa reminded me I forgot to say: Sunglasses (and spares) and reading glasses (and spares) and protein bars in the outer pockets of the daypacks. Also hats for the sun, in with the clothes as we have folding/rolling numbers. Money in neckwallets and/or money-belts.

Next trip I would stuff socks in my 'adult sippy cup' and pack it as well. I thought I would buy one on the ship for a souvenir, but the only one they had was not a style I like!

Edited by crystalspin

So, I'm looking at more of a ROLL on than a CARRY on then? LOL.

That's more stuff than I had originally thought, but then I don't want to loose anything valuable.

And mama said always wear clean drawers. :)

My carry on is a backpack, not particularly large.

After all my camera gear and laptop there is not much room for anything more other than a small travel toothbrush. :)

I only print out the absolute minimum needed, so no paperwork. I like to go paperless so everything is on the laptop in PDF files. (And I email then to myself so "in the cloud" as a backup)

Carryon size? Is it ok to have a small roll on luggage? My digital camera and bag by itself is not small. So if I add a few more things, well... It's not a small bag.

Are there restrictions as to carry on/roll on size?.

That said I want to keep this simple and not carry a kitchen sink around.

Edited by cruisentn

Carryon size? Is it ok to have a small roll on luggage? My digital camera and bag by itself is not small. So if I add a few more things, well... It's not a small bag.

Are there restrictions as to carry on/roll on size?.

That said I want to keep this simple and not carry a kitchen sink around.

Mine is a standard airline carry on size and the cruise folks never looked twice as I brought it onboard with me.

Wow. Well, um....is it usual to just NOT get your bags to your room? Does that really happen? Or just doing all of this as a safeguard?

And, how long is it usually before your bags are delivered?

Thanks!

They arrive. Just sometimes it takes a few hours. (Might take a while on one of the mega ships and not so long on a smaller one). I had my bag in front of my door on my AK cruise last Sept by 1pm.

Wow. Well, um....is it usual to just NOT get your bags to your room? Does that really happen? Or just doing all of this as a safeguard?

Thanks!

Don't panic! Most of the time luggage gets there the day you board ... sometimes sooner than other times.

We're just saying "Better Silly than Sorry" so take anything in your carry-on you would need in the unlikely event your luggage does not or is late arriving. This can and does happen.

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks!

Our first cruise found our luggage not getting delivered until after 9:00pm. Because of that, we each carry a backpack that has valuables, cruise docs & paperwork, including passports, cash, etc... personal hygiene items, 1 change of clothes (I wear my swimsuit when boarding under a cute sundress, but have something that I find suitable for dinner), DH's swimsuit is in the backpack, and flip flops/pool shoes. Since that first cruise, our luggage has always been in our cabin when we get to it after lunch and pool time, before dinner.

Thanks!

Sometimes we have not gotten our luggage until after lifeboat drill.

BUT -- yes we were on a cruise when several people did not get their luggage.

San Diego -- 2 HAL ships were in. Zaandam was headed to Hawaii and our ship, Ryndam was headed for a 22 day Pan American/Ecuador cruise. Several passengers on our Ryndam ship did not pay attention as to where to drop off their luggage. Quite a few pieces ended up on the Zaandam. Zaandam's first stop was 5 days later in Hawaii. They forwarded the luggage. Some people got their luggage 7 days into our cruise. Four people did not get their luggage until day #18 -- it was always 1 day behind our stops.

Our carry-ons are not large. Mine has the 2 medical bags of prescriptions and non-prescription medications in it. Also my folder with important papers for reservations for hotels and items that we have purchased for on the cruise like alcohol for our cabin and specialty restaurants and excursions.

DH's carry-on has camera and its equipment, snack crackers, chocolates, and a couple odds and ends.

I don't worry about packing any clothing in the carry-ons. It can all be replaced if all 4 of our suitcases are lost. We do split all clothing for both of us among the 4 suitcases.

I have all my electronics (laptop, cameras, iPad, phones, etc.), all personal documents (passport, reservations, etc.), and anything else that I want to keep with me at all times.

If my luggage does not arrive in time, I have no issue wearing the same cloths that I had on since I am usually dressing right before boarding in the local hotel.

We have backpacks for our carry on.

We have a change of clothes...just in case. Our swimsuits, because we will change and find a lounge chair. :) Any meds you may need. Electronics, cruise documents and passports... those are the most important. Something to read, and a bottle of wine... if your ship allows you to bring one on at embarkation. :)

Thanks!

From time to time crazy things do happen.

Two former college room mates who now live in different cities decided to take a cruise and booked a cabin together.

After two days they realized neither had unpacked the little black suitcase in their cabin. Turns out both thought it belonged to the other. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

Good question! DH uses a backpack as a carry-on and I use a tote bag. Honestly, we don't really pack them with losing our luggage in mind. In that unlikely event, we could buy clothes and toiletries. However, perhaps I'll pack a bathing suit in mine next cruise. We're cruising out of NYC in Feb, so I doubt I'll need it before luggage arrives, but IF my luggage got lost, I'd be very upset to have to select a new bathing suit from limited options on board or at the first port. I have a hard enough time finding a good bathing suit if I have unlimited time and tons of options! :rolleyes:

Generally, our carry-on bags contain things that we want to keep with us, like passports, electronics, cameras.