"Live" from the Legend of the Seas - January 13, 2014

Happy Birthday! Actually, by the time you read this it'll probably be Happy Belated Birthday!

Loving your review and pictures. Looks like you two are having a wonderful time. Congrats on booking that Oasis cruise for your anniversary. I concur with countess5 - that ship rocks!! I must admit I had my doubts, but would love to sail her (or Allure) again.

Sending my wishes for good weather and calm (well, at least calmer) seas.:):)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA.....we don't know you but have been enjoying all your posts and pix.....along with all the other folks who are following you'live on the Legend'....hope you have a fantastic dinner.....with singing waiters and all that jazz.....maybe even some table dancing:D.....we'll be sailing on the Legend in a couple of weeks for the 1st time ( tho' we're Diamond Plus).... please keep her in good shape for us and keep the info flowing....!!:)

Cheers...

Loie & Peter

Today is the big day…it’s my birthday! My birthday gift from Walt was the Trike Aruba Tour and wow!

P1160013_zpsb7a67b6b.jpg

But first things first. We were able to disembark at 10am and we did not need to leave for our tour until 1pm. So , we got off the ship and ran the gauntlet of independent tours to get into town. We did a little shopping at the shacks and then wandered over to The Paddock for lunch. The Paddock is the cow print building on the marina across from the ships on the marina. There are fantastic photo opportunities from the restaurant. We had a nice lunch and took pictures.

P1160021_zpsdcde8161.jpg

After lunch we found a sidewalk that runs behind the Renaissance Hotel along the waterfront. We found that there are hundreds of iguanas living on the rocks and the property. We even stumbled upon their mid-day snack.

P1160050_zpsd5f3143f.jpg

Since it was getting close to 1pm, we headed back to the port to catch a cab with Kayter and friends to Trikes Aruba. This was an incredible 3 hour tour of the island. I highly recommend it even if you have never ridden a motorcycle. Walt has never driven one, but Michael Angelo taught him how to do and we are alive to tell the tale. There were 4 stops along the way so everyone had a chance to follow our guides. Oh, and our guides took pictures from the lead trike and those pictures will be posted on the Trikes-Aruba facebook page tomorrow. If you are looking for something different to do in Aruba, then you should consider this tour.

P1160057_zps4cf764bf.jpg

P1160098_zps38d149c0.jpg

Well, I must get ready for our dinner at Izumi tonight…more tomorrow.

Lisa and Walt

I absolutely love your shirt!!! Where did you get that?

We arrived in Bonaire before 7am this morning to a beautiful full moon. For some reason our 6am wakeup call did not happen, but luckily I set my iPhone alarm as a backup. We did the Samur Sail and Snorkeling excursion out to Klein Bonaire. The Vietnamese Junk is a pretty vessel and made for enjoyable transportation. The excursion was 3 hours with 1.5 hours on the beach. The water was cold this morning so Walt and I decided to just hang out on the beach and enjoy some one on one time. This was for the best since it seems that Walt has caught the nasty cold going around the ship. After the excursion I sent Walt to the cabin to rest while I went shopping.

P1170010_zpsdc5959ac.jpg

P1170032_zps0cb39b16.jpg

P1170008_zpsc911850e.jpg

P1170020_zpsd9557efd.jpg

The area near the port had a bunch of great canopies set up with all sorts of wares. There are some ports that I will not walk around by myself, but Bonaire is fine. I did not have anyone approach me trying to sell tours or anything else. My mission was to buy a refrigerator magnet, which I did. But, I also discovered a tent that sells hot sauces and spice mixes. 6 spice packages and 4 hot sauces later, I headed back to the ship. The spice tent is across the street for the port gate and to the left. It is a white canopy.

When I got back to the cabin we went to Windjammer for lunch. I had another healthy salad and a piece of yummy Thai Chicken. After lunch Walt went to the cabin to take a nap and I hit the gym. I have discovered that if you go to the gym around 12:30-1pm that no one is in there and you have your choice of machines. Nice.

Since Walt is napping, I will take this time to answer more of the questions:

Harry’s Observation: The Solarium pool is warmer than the main pool

Movies – most days they are played in the theater…not every day at the pool

Show Times for late seating vary between 7pm or 10:45pm. I will post the compasses when I get home

How does the ship look? Looks good to me, but I have discovered on this cruise that I don’t notice dings and scrapes. I have heard from several reliable sources that there are dings, but darned if I can find them. Here is my thought on this…my house does not look showroom perfect, so why expect that on a ship. I do not think it looks dated or in need of repair…so it looks fine.

Beds – that is a really subjective thing. We like firm mattresses and the mattress is adequate. It is not a pillow top, so if you like soft you may want to ask for an egg crate pad.

Deck 8 Sniffathon near 8048 – we did not smell anything

Oh, before I forget there was a water issue on deck 7 with a major flooding in one of the balcony cabins in the 7080’s. The passengers were moved to another cabin. I will see if I can find out the cabin number from our friends in an inside in that area.

Which itinerary are we doing on the Oasis – We are doing the Eastern.

There was a question about black forest cake at the Park Café…do not fret, I have not forgotten to check. We just have not been in the Solarium much during the dinner hours.

Debshomespun...will pass the message along. We are having dinner with them this evening.

And some more dresses for the fashionistas…

P1160002_zpsf8c0dcbd.jpg

P1010520_zpsae55a3db.jpg

More to come…

Lisa, Happy, happy Birthday!! The trike motorcycle looks like great fun. What a fun birthday gift. Hope you dinner at Izumi's was wonderful. We ate at lunch one day while on board last week and enjoyed it greatly!

A belated Happy Birthday, and thanks for your great review!

After 4 days I would like to address the issue of the “surly staff”. I have yet to encounter any member of the staff that is not friendly. While some staff members are more outgoing than others, the entire staff is friendly and happy to answer questions and help out. We have talk to members of the maintenance team, to room stewards, wait staff, and management. They are all great. I honestly don’t understand the sour comments on the staff. They are simply wonderful.

I do think that some of the negative comments come from cruisers that did not do thorough research of the Vision Class ships. If you are expecting a Freedom Class or Oasis Class experience on the Legend, then you will be disappointed. If you are doing this cruise with full knowledge that this is a small ship and sailing for the itinerary, then I think you will be happy. Since we did the Vision in 2012 we knew what our cruise experience would be like. So far the Legend crew has exceeded the Vision crew of last winter. Kudos.

Lisa and Walt

I think that it's more likely that you are the beneficiary of numerous comments made by people who are very experienced Royal Caribbean cruisers and know how things are supposed to run on a ship. We had issues with service on Brilliance and, once she returned to the US market, they installed new management and the ship did a 180, from the reports I've gotten. It's heartening to see that Legend is perhaps doing the same.