Caribbean Princess Norovirus

cruising sister

Just received email regarding January 11 sailing about the Caribbean Princess and norovirus. Embarkation will be delayed by two hours. Has anyone heard from any passengers on the current cruise to how many are sick?

i just talked to princess. they sent out no e-mail and know nothing about this. i also have a website that post illness etc. on ships. there is nothing there either.

Maybe that's the BEST sailing to be on. It'll be freshly sanitized. We sailed Sun Princess once in the same circumstance. The previous 2 sailings were severely effected with Noro. They sanitized the ship prior to our embarkation. I didn't hear anything while on board about Noro. I truly hope everyone on board now gets well soon and that everyone boarding has the time of their lives!

we had delayed boarding on the CB a few years back due to sanitization for norovirus on the previous sailing. We noticed some differences on board; no self service at the buffet, paper menus, no salt and pepper shakers, bathroom doors open. Nothing earth shattering. No one we met got sick on our cruise and half way through they lifted the restrictions. Take hand sanitizer and use it liberally after touching anything I never hold the railings with my hands either! Very easy place to pick it up. You can just as easily get it in the supermarket as on the ship. The staff are excellent at cleaning procedures and you will notice them constantly cleaning hand rails and common areas

Take hand sanitizer and use it liberally after touching anything

Most hand sanitizers are ineffective against noro.

Most effective method (per CDC) is to thoroughly wash hands for at least 30 seconds with very warm water. This does not kill the virus, but washes it off and down the drain.

Most hand sanitizers are ineffective against noro.

Most effective method (per CDC) is to thoroughly wash hands for at least 30 seconds with very warm water. This does not kill the virus, but washes it off and down the drain.

not necessarily true. They are not a "substitute" for good handwashing; nothing is. But in the absence of the ability to wash hands, hand sanitizers are an adjunct. They do kill most viruses and bacteria. We use them in all hospitals and nursing homes between handwashing. They work when used properly which is to put on enough to be able to rub vigorously for 20 seconds minimum. I always use one before I pick up the fork to eat or after riding the elevator, etc. I'm in nursing homes with outbreaks all winter long (my job to inspect) and use hand sanitizers all day long and haven't caught that dang noro yet! (knock on wood). Scrub with soap and water when you can and use the sanitizers in between.

We just got off the Island Princess on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise and we were really upset by how many people did not use the hand sanitizer before going through the buffet,and how many people licked their fingers or ate while touching and using the tongs and utensils.We informed the wait staff and they said using the sanitizer could not be enforced,they should have someone spraying peoples hands before entering.

I also think that the ship will be delayed since most likly there will be fog in the morning acording to the local weather forcast - so I am thinking this ship will be very late to leave as well since it will be getting to port late and then the norovirus - it will be interesting to hear from passangers embarking and debarking

I was on the Crown the year they had it so bad..they were not allowed tol land. The CDC quarantined them.

it is miserable. You cannot leave your cabin. The only people who come near you are in Haze masks. They are very nice..but still. Your menu..is jello and broth.

OK. You can do things. Buy a box of Chorox. When you get to your room wipe down...the Toilet handle. The phone. The door knobs. the door to the balcony. Takes just a minute.

If you have to go to a certain area..like the community hall to wait before boarding...take a packet of chorox wipe tissues. If you have to go to the rest room..........wipe the toilet handle. The faucets. and use one when you open the door.

Holding your hands under running water for 45 seconds gets the germs off of your hands. Wash your hands. Be obsessed about it.

It can be spread by air. There has been a hot debate about that and now the CDC says that while it can be spread by touch..it can also be in the air..When someone sneezes, etc.

IF you are young enough..take the stairs. stay off of the elevator. AND you will lose weight too.

Just have an attitude that you are forearmed and you are NOT going to get it. And a happy cruise to you.

Edited by AmberTeka

We just got off the Island Princess on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise and we were really upset by how many people did not use the hand sanitizer before going through the buffet,and how many people licked their fingers or ate while touching and using the tongs and utensils.We informed the wait staff and they said using the sanitizer could not be enforced,they should have someone spraying peoples hands before entering.

This must depend on the ship. When we cruised Alaska on the Diamond, there was a staff member at the door of the Horizon applying hand sanitizer to everyone through the door.

When we were on the CB Dec 14 the hand sanitizers were few and far between. We always try to use each one we pass and found that many were empty. There was nobody getting people to use it outside the MDR or up on the Lido, unlike RCCL, which is very forceful about use.

I was on the Diamond Princess this summer and it was tough to find hand sanitizers. I asked where they were and they told me I needed to wash my hands in the public restroom. Since Norovirus has been a big problem on cruise ships I rarely frequent the public restrooms unless I absolutely have to. I came prepared with multiple hand sanitizers and Lysol spray and wipes. When I have been on other lines they practically chase you down to clean your hands. This is only my second Princess cruise, I will interested to see what their hand cleaning policy will be in light of the outbreak.

We were on NCL in Hawaii in February and the cruise before us was bad. They also sanitized the ship before we got on and they MADE everyone who entered the food area to use hand sanitizer. Didn't hear of anyone sick so it is actually a good thing they are sanitizing before we get on (I'm on the cruise tomorrow).

They had the buffets and the area were the rolls and pastries are located wrapped in saran wrap - so you had to ask the staff for the item you wanted. Funniest thing I saw is this older lady at breakfast wanted a pastry so she stuck her hand through the plastic wrap, grab the pastry with her hand and walked away. Two crew members saw her do it. The one instructed the man behind the counter to remove the entire tray as they weren't sure how many of them she touched before she decided on the one she wanted. I guess the plastic wrap meant nothing to her. :eek:

we are sitting in our hotel room now, going to go get breakfast. Luckily the comfort inn in Sea brook has allowed us to stay in our room until 1400 hrs until the shuttle can take us. while is is inconvenient that we are delayed, i would rather they do what ever then need to clean or disinfect the ship. Here is the email Princess sent out yesterday:

Dear Princess Passenger,

We would like to take this opportunity to advise you that during the current cruise there has been an increase in the number of cases of gastrointestinal illness amongst passengers caused by Norovirus. (Please see the reverse page for information regarding this common illness.) In response, we initiated a comprehensive sanitation program developed in conjunction with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Furthermore, we have arranged for the ship to undergo a prolonged and additional disinfection in Houston on Saturday, January 11, 2014. As a consequence, cruise check-in and embarkation will be delayed until 2:00 pm.

As a precaution, we will continue our disinfection efforts throughout this cruise. To assist us with these preventive measures, we ask for your full cooperation in the following:

- To prevent person-to-person spread, please ensure that you wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap for at least 20 seconds and rinse them well under running water. Please ensure that you follow this procedure each time you use the toilet, after coughing or sneezing and before eating, drinking, or smoking. Avoid touching your mouth.

- Please attempt to always use your own stateroom’s bathroom facilities.

- In addition to hand washing, please also use the alcohol hand gels where available and before eating in the buffet.

- Should you experience any symptoms of vomiting or diarrhea, please return to your stateroom and report this by immediately contacting the Medical Center by dialing 911.

Thank you for taking the time to read this important information. The success in controlling the spread of this virus relies heavily on the cooperation of you and your fellow passengers. Please see below for additional information regarding Norovirus.

Thankfully, of the many Princess cruises we've taken, we've seen the Noro just twice. On a recent one we had the occasion to dine with a couple both of whom were immunology/infectious disease researchers possessing PhDs. Each confirmed that there was no conclusive scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of hand sanitizers. It's better than nothing. Their advice, wash your hands thoroughly and often.

On a related note, we all should be vigilant about the behavior of fellow passengers. How many times have you seen passengers take food by hand and not use tongs? A simple and polite comment regarding this may alter their behavior. After all, they do not have the right to negatively affect your health and the enjoyment of your cruise.

I also think that the ship will be delayed since most likly there will be fog in the morning acording to the local weather forcast - so I am thinking this ship will be very late to leave as well since it will be getting to port late and then the norovirus - it will be interesting to hear from passangers embarking and debarking

The ship is still outside of Galveston and just started moving at 8:15. Hopefully the fog delay and the cleaning delay will generally overlap and not be additive.

Unless a hand sanitizer contains a high enough concentration of bleach(none do) they are useless against Norovirus. The only thing that will kill this virus is a STRONG bleach product-Clorox wipes are too weak. Alcohol based sanitizers do not kill it.

I just got an email in Tennessee from the state health commissioner that January and February are peak flu and Noro times in our state. So it looks like the season is well underway since the cruise ships are now being affected. This year the various swine flu strains are quite bad so flu outbreaks are already worse than last year. The flu vaccine is not as effective as people hope against the swine flu. Anyone admitted to the hospital with a positive flu swab test is on isolation with droplet precautions as it is an airborne form of transmission.

It is possible to purchase a product called Dispatch online-it kills EVERYTHING-but has a very strong bleach smell. It specifically kills Noro, HIV,Hepatitis A and B(Hepatitis A is rampant throughout the Caribbean),TB, MRSA, Ecoli, you name it. They sell it in resealable packs of wipes. I bring them on every cruise that I take

Good morning! I'm on the ship now and just wanted to let you know what Princess did onboard in regards to Noro. In the buffets there were staff at each station serving you, they removed salt and pepper shakers from tables as well as bread baskets. They brought over those things and served you as needed. Elevators, handrails and such were being sanitized often. There was hand sanitizer everywhere! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on the Carribbean princess right now. We were stopped in heavy fog but are moving easily now and they anticipate our arrival at 1100

Per a crew member 11 people currently have the noro virus and will be off loaded first and have to clear medical in Houston. After that they will start normal disembarkation.

They ship is operating normally with shops open and food court available.

Currently you are not allowed to touch any food, beverage dispensers etc. but it isn't inconvenient

We missed our port in Roitan due to bad weather and rough seas Rain in all ports.

Still had a great time!

My husband was unfortunate to get Noro on one of our cruises. He was stuck in our room for 48 hours, not that he cared. The nurse stopped in and he had special food/water delivered. On day two they gave him the regular menu from the dining room. However I was free to come and go. My biggest surprise was that our insurance paid us for his missing two days of his cruise. I never would have thought to put in a claim if I hadn't read it on cruise Critic.