Oasis - medical emergency

Vercat067

4.5 hours at top speed would be 99 miles, round trip would be 198 miles. A Lifeflight chopper has a range of 330 miles but not sure if St Thomas or St Maarten has that kind of equipment. Weather can also dictate whether a chopper is used, winds of 20-25 knots can make it difficult and dangerous to land on moving ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4.5 hours at top speed would be 99 miles, round trip would be 198 miles. A Lifeflight chopper has a range of 330 miles but not sure if St Thomas or St Maarten has that kind of equipment. Weather can also dictate whether a chopper is used, winds of 20-25 knots can make it difficult and dangerous to land on moving ship.

Fascinating details! Thank you.

(are you involved in this field?)

There aren't many helicopters that can do medivac's at night. Only one that I know of capable or authorized are military or Coast Guard . They normally don't land on ships . They let a SAR tech down and then winch the patient and tech back to the helicopter. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show medivacs from ships at sea.

I am a Retired Coast Guard Pilot. A hoist at night is somewhat risky. Plus it's unlikely that there is any availability in St. Martin for a helo hoist. The helicopter deck would require quite a bit of preparation for a landing. It's unlikely there is anyone on Oasis to help guide a helicopter onto the pad. Likely it is just safer to head in.

I wonder what it could be ...

Hope everything turns out ok.

Wonder what the mood is on the ship right now. I'm sure Oasis is continuing all entertainment, but I would have a rough time enjoying myself in that kind of situation.

On a second note, I'm set to sail on Oasis this Saturday! Eek! God Speed, Oasis. God speed.

I wonder what it could be ...

Hope everything turns out ok.

Wonder what the mood is on the ship right now. I'm sure Oasis is continuing all entertainment, but I would have a rough time enjoying myself in that kind of situation.

On a second note, I'm set to sail on Oasis this Saturday! Eek! God Speed, Oasis. God speed.

Not to sound cynical, but no you would not. Life goes on, particularly on board a cruise ship.

That was quick! Did she really already drop and go? Showing 20.9 knots @ 275°. I feel like I stepped away for a few minutes and missed it. Edit...guess it was almost an hour.

Again, best wishes to the ill passenger. We're sending prayers your way.

Edited by gcvt

Onboard Oasis right now. Have no idea what the med emergency was. We were in the comedy club halfway thru the first act when the captain came on telling us of the situation and the decision to turn around. Needless to say it kind of screwed up the flow of the comedian's schtick, which was funny BTW. We were a bit late getting out of Philiipsburg as we had to wait a while for a lady to make it back. Then it was about 20 after nine when the announcement was made. Prior to the announcement I had concluded that I could not actually be on a ship as there is almost no feeling of movement on this ship. Now we must be sailing at higher speeds because while there is not much movement I can actually feel the up and down left and right and shuddering from waves and props.

I am going to head to the Diamond lounge for coffee, if the concierge is early maybe she will tell me something about what happened, but most likely not.

ciao

jc

Possible update:

Looks like according to a roll call fellow diamond person who was on their balcony when we docked again at St Maarten, that 6 people got off. Two older people were taken off in wheel chairs an older lady was put on a stretcher once off. The person who saw this didn't see any IVs or other signs of emergency procedures going on. The woman was awake.

Off to breakfast may check in later when the line to the flowrider gets too long.:D

jc

Don't they usually send a chopper for something like that?

And usually, it is a U.S. Coast Guard copter, with the finest trained medivac teams on the planet. Don't think there would be any in the St. Martin area.

I don't think the captain would even consider a "non-U.S. coast guard" rescue as it is incredibly difficult and dangerous.