Oasis - medical emergency

Vercat067

According to Marinetraffic she´s still in St. Maarten :confused:! When you click on the course you can see that she left, came back, left again, came back, left again, came back... or something like that. It looks pretty weird.

steamboats

According to Marinetraffic she´s still in St. Maarten :confused:! When you click on the course you can see that she left, came back, left again, came back, left again, came back... or something like that. It looks pretty weird.

steamboats

I leave Saturday. What will happen? Will they call me or email to tell us she is leaving later?

And usually, it is a U.S. Coast Guard copter, with the finest trained medivac teams on the planet. Don't think there would be any in the St. Martin area.

I don't think the captain would even consider a "non-U.S. coast guard" rescue as it is incredibly difficult and dangerous.

I believe that most masters would only consider an air-evac as the last choice in virtually any situation, so long as the patient and the ship were in a position were able to withstand a trip to the nearest port. The one helicopter evacuation I witnessed, the helicopter was out of Mexico. I could not tell from the markings if it was a government air craft or an air ambulance type, but as difficult as it no doubt was... they made it look like a walk in the park.

steamboats

That is what I am seeing too. I just checked the webcam for St Martin and I can see two big ships but can't tell which ships they are.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/portcams/caribbean/st_maarten.php

I leave Saturday. What will happen? Will they call me or email to tell us she is leaving later?

You should be contacted be either phone or E-mail depending on what your preferences are in your profile. In my experience they only contacted us when the ship was going to embarking the new passengers several hours later than usual.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Onboard Oasis right now. Have no idea what the med emergency was. We were in the comedy club halfway thru the first act when the captain came on telling us of the situation and the decision to turn around. Needless to say it kind of screwed up the flow of the comedian's schtick, which was funny BTW. We were a bit late getting out of Philiipsburg as we had to wait a while for a lady to make it back. Then it was about 20 after nine when the announcement was made. Prior to the announcement I had concluded that I could not actually be on a ship as there is almost no feeling of movement on this ship. Now we must be sailing at higher speeds because while there is not much movement I can actually feel the up and down left and right and shuddering from waves and props.

I am going to head to the Diamond lounge for coffee, if the concierge is early maybe she will tell me something about what happened, but most likely not.

ciao

jc

Sounds like she is headed back to Ft Lauderdale now? so not in St Martin anymore?

The port schedule still shows her coming in at 5am on Saturday. That is one place you can check out. You should get notification from the cruiseline though if your boarding is going to be delayed.

You can see a link to the port schedule on the webcam site or here are the direct links.

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

That is what I am seeing too. I just checked the webcam for St Martin and I can see two big ships but can't tell which ships they are.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/portcams/caribbean/st_maarten.php

According to the Ships in ports website, these are the ships that are supposed to be in St. Martin today.

Celebrity Summit, Royal Princess, MSC Musica

4.5 hours at top speed would be 99 miles, round trip would be 198 miles. A Lifeflight chopper has a range of 330 miles but not sure if St Thomas or St Maarten has that kind of equipment. Weather can also dictate whether a chopper is used, winds of 20-25 knots can make it difficult and dangerous to land on moving ship.

I totally read this in the voice of Tommy Lee Jones from The Fugitive!

The port schedule still shows her coming in at 5am on Saturday. That is one place you can check out. You should get notification from the cruiseline though if your boarding is going to be delayed.

You can see a link to the port schedule on the webcam site or here are the direct links.

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

PHEW! Well, most importantly: I hope the passenger is ok.

Next importantly: OASIS, GET THERE IN TIME FOR ME ON SATURDAY! WOO!

I was on the Liberty around a year ago, and witnessed an amazing rescue at sea during 45 knot cross winds. The chopper did not land, but hovered over the forward deck. The Coast Guard guy repelled onto the deck, and while the copter was over the center of the landing deck, he ended up pretty much at the side of the ship because of the wind.

The people of the Coast Guard amazed me that day. It was their job. To me it was amazing.

Video I took is here:

If Oasis was 4 1/2 hours out on the way to Ft. Lauderdale it was likely much closer to PR than St. Maarten or even St. Thomas but this ship and RC other behemoth, Allure, can't dock in San Juan due to their size and being at night a helo evacuation wasn't a good option. PR is about 115 nautical miles east of St. Maarten, on the way or just south of the typical route to FL from St. Maarten and St. Thomas.;)

Edited by robtulipe

In October we were on Celebrity Century sailing to Hawaii and were 4 hours out of San Diego and went back to San Diego for a medical emergency. Finally left San Diego at 12:30am.

Daryl

I would have a rough time enjoying myself in that kind of situation.

I respectfully disagree. People get sick and even die on cruise ships every week. Unless you were directly involved (i.e a travel companion was sick or died, or you were involved in helping the individual), it is unlikely this would really negatively affect your cruise.

It's kind of like going out to a nice dinner and seeing an ambulance wiz by the restaurant. Are you really not going to be able to enjoy your meal?

But I guess I am wrong, as my previous post disagreeing with this sentiment was deleted. I guess there is no room for differing opinions on Cruise Critic?:confused:

I was on the Liberty around a year ago, and witnessed an amazing rescue at sea during 45 knot cross winds. The chopper did not land, but hovered over the forward deck. The Coast Guard guy repelled onto the deck, and while the copter was over the center of the landing deck, he ended up pretty much at the side of the ship because of the wind.

The people of the Coast Guard amazed me that day. It was their job. To me it was amazing.

Video I took is here:

I was on that cruise too. It was amazing to see the whole operation.

But I guess I am wrong, as my previous post disagreeing with this sentiment was deleted. I guess there is no room for differing opinions on Cruise Critic?:confused:

Wow, evidently, my support of your opinion was deleted too. :o

Video I took is here:

Those guys are certifiably insane.

Amazing, thanks for the video.

Where were you when you took the video? I am guessing in your room?

The reason I ask, we had the same situation, but the Captain closed down every outside deck, so really, there was nowhere to see the rescue.

I did get to talk to the captain about it afterwards, he said for safety, did not want anyone anywhere near it. He also told me that he would NEVER let a helicopter land on his ship.

Another interesting tidbit, during the rescue, the ship was not sitting idle in the water, is was moving along. Captain said that they need to be in control of the ship, so no sitting idle in the water.

Video I took is here:

Amazing video! It does give you a creepy goosebump kinda feeling watching it though.

Possible update:

Looks like according to a roll call fellow diamond person who was on their balcony when we docked again at St Maarten, that 6 people got off. Two older people were taken off in wheel chairs an older lady was put on a stretcher once off. The person who saw this didn't see any IVs or other signs of emergency procedures going on. The woman was awake.

Off to breakfast may check in later when the line to the flowrider gets too long.:D

jc

Hope they are OK.

Have some great rides.

I agree with the concept that 99.9% of the passengers day is unaffected by the unfortunate medical emergency. I ate breakfast (have they forgotten how to make eggs benedict?) surfed for two hours. Walked the nice track on deck 5, ate lunch at Park Central then walked the track for 40 minutes. Now I am enjoying an Amstel Light from On Air (which they said 20% off cocktails, apparently beer is not a cocktail....stupid) sitting in the Diamond lounge doing some work, and updating everyone back home.

The captain, announced at the noon announcements that the crew did an incredible job of evacuating the ill woman and she is in the hospital in Philipsburg. We are doing 21.5 knots and he expects to make it to Port Everglades on time. A new flow rider buddy of mine is from Vienna Austria, and he missed the announcements last night, but he told me they assured him we would be back in time for his 12:45 flight Saturday. Of course, what else would they tell him. On the upside we will probably meet for a coffee with him and his wife when we are Vienna this fall.

I do believe we are sailing faster than before because as I mentioned earlier the ship is moving for the first time. The flow rider had a bit of wash in the scuppers, which hasn't happened all cruise. That said the movement is minimal compared to a freedom class ship.

I plan on eating dinner at Giovanni's tonight, and enjoying a nice bottle of red wine.

jc