Oasis - medical emergency

Vercat067

At what time did your ship leave St. Maarten for the second time?:confused:

I was sound asleep, so I don't personally know. I gathered from the fellow cruise critic member and diamond that we were not at the dock longer than 15 minutes. That is not a fact, but my impression from a conversation.

jc

I respectfully disagree. People get sick and even die on cruise ships every week. Unless you were directly involved (i.e a travel companion was sick or died, or you were involved in helping the individual), it is unlikely this would really negatively affect your cruise.

It's kind of like going out to a nice dinner and seeing an ambulance wiz by the restaurant. Are you really not going to be able to enjoy your meal?

But I guess I am wrong, as my previous post disagreeing with this sentiment was deleted. I guess there is no room for differing opinions on Cruise Critic?:confused:

I agree...some people have a problem with death but as the saying goes " nobody gets out of here alive'......We were on a cruise where there was a suicide but not knowing the person I felt sad for the family but went on with our vacation....

We were on FOS last month and there was a medical emergency announced when we had been sailing about 3 hours. We turned back around, and didn't get back on the way until about midnight. We ended up only getting 3 hours in Labadee as a result because the captain couldn't make up 7 hours of missed sailing time.

I was on the Liberty around a year ago, and witnessed an amazing rescue at sea during 45 knot cross winds. The chopper did not land, but hovered over the forward deck. The Coast Guard guy repelled onto the deck, and while the copter was over the center of the landing deck, he ended up pretty much at the side of the ship because of the wind.

The people of the Coast Guard amazed me that day. It was their job. To me it was amazing.

Video I took is here:

Thank you for sending this video. These guys are the unsung heros who keep us safe.

The recovery of the patient what's important. The rest is just details.

Very true that recovery is important for this person! I wish them the best. But working in the medical field I see a lot and hear a lot of tragedy. Honestly I don't feel guilty worrying about my vacation. I also commend the ship for putting passengers safety first and returned to shore! But I'm still going to worry about my ship picking us up in time. I've looked forward to and worked very hard for this trip to happen!

I did get to talk to the captain about it afterwards, he said for safety, did not want anyone anywhere near it. He also told me that he would NEVER let a helicopter land on his ship.

Another interesting tidbit, during the rescue, the ship was not sitting idle in the water, is was moving along. Captain said that they need to be in control of the ship, so no sitting idle in the water.

Retired USCG Captain here ... who was Captain of helo carrying ships and launched helos for this type of situation many times .... I was "On Scene Commander" ... but I'm not a pilot ..

a few comments

- We trained a BUNCH to remain 'helo certified' for landing and launching helos and our equipment and procedures were examined OFTEN. Pilots (IME) are NOT fans of landing on 'unknown' platforms (not to mention needed extra annual training to be ship landing certified). IF something goes wrong they want the fire teams to be on the same page they are - knowing access to the helo, standard procedures, who will do what if things go bad. They will land on (inspected) fixed oil platforms but 'moving things' tend to be another story.

- A helo sitting on the deck of a moving ship is VERY unstable ... a BIG part of our training involves tying down the copter as quickly as possible, and removing tie downs at the LAST second for take off. Military ships and CG cutters have some fancy systems for this procedure - cruise ship???? The helo does NOT want some guys and some ropes with no clue . . .

- a MOVING ship is almost always more stable then a stopped ship (remember those stabilizers you like so much). In order to keep the ship's heading steady and get the best ride the helo pilot will direct the course and speed to the ship.

- a MOVING helo is more responsive and typically has more reserve power then one in a stationary hover .. another reason for the moving ship. When we landed or launched helos we were moving and there is a specific range of relative wind speed and direction (wind realized across the deck), and pitch and roll limits for the ship. Or in simple terms "turn the aircraft carrier into the wind . . ."

- for a CG helo, if they land on deck and certain mechanical issues arise they can be unable to take off .... NOW STUCK on the cruise ship. BAD. If they stay in the air ...

- a cruise ship does not just call for a CG chopper and off they go .... The ship contacts a Rescue Coordination Center and evacuation options are discussed usually involving a USCG (actually PHS) Flight Surgeon who then consults with Operations to see what options are available.

- I've never seen a private LifeFlight type helo do an at sea rescue. Military/CG assets are limited by 'where they are'. USCG is not deployed internationally ... well, there ARE exceptions... For example .... While CO of a cutter working between Jamaica and Haiti we got the call at zero dark hundred about a cruise passenger with a hot appendix. The cruise ship was over 100 miles away but we COULD launch our helo, pick up the pass' and fly on to Guantanamo where a surgeon was waiting. We had the helo off deck in 30 minutes. If we had not JUST HAPPENED to be in the right place ... this didn't work.

- sometimes a helo lift, even if in range and possible - is NOT the right choice ..... some patients can be more stressed by the helo lift than their malady!

just some food for thought . . .

I did get to talk to the captain about it afterwards, he said for safety, did not want anyone anywhere near it. He also told me that he would NEVER let a helicopter land on his ship.

Another interesting tidbit, during the rescue, the ship was not sitting idle in the water, is was moving along. Captain said that they need to be in control of the ship, so no sitting idle in the water.

Retired USCG Captain here ... who was Captain of helo carrying ships and launched helos for this type of situation many times .... I was "On Scene Commander" ... but I'm not a pilot ..

a few comments

- We trained a BUNCH to remain 'helo certified' for landing and launching helos and our equipment and procedures were examined OFTEN. Pilots (IME) are NOT fans of landing on 'unknown' platforms (not to mention needed extra annual training to be ship landing certified). IF something goes wrong they want the fire teams to be on the same page they are - knowing access to the helo, standard procedures, who will do what if things go bad. They will land on (inspected) fixed oil platforms but 'moving things' tend to be another story.

- A helo sitting on the deck of a moving ship is VERY unstable ... a BIG part of our training involves tying down the copter as quickly as possible, and removing tie downs at the LAST second for take off. Military ships and CG cutters have some fancy systems for this procedure - cruise ship???? The helo does NOT want some guys and some ropes with no clue . . .

- a MOVING ship is almost always more stable then a stopped ship (remember those stabilizers you like so much). In order to keep the ship's heading steady and get the best ride the helo pilot will direct the course and speed to the ship.

- a MOVING helo is more responsive and typically has more reserve power then one in a stationary hover .. another reason for the moving ship. When we landed or launched helos we were moving and there is a specific range of relative wind speed and direction (wind realized across the deck), and pitch and roll limits for the ship. Or in simple terms "turn the aircraft carrier into the wind . . ."

- for a CG helo, if they land on deck and certain mechanical issues arise they can be unable to take off .... NOW STUCK on the cruise ship. BAD. If they stay in the air ...

- a cruise ship does not just call for a CG chopper and off they go .... The ship contacts a Rescue Coordination Center and evacuation options are discussed usually involving a USCG (actually PHS) Flight Surgeon who then consults with Operations to see what options are available.

- I've never seen a private LifeFlight type helo do an at sea rescue. Military/CG assets are limited by 'where they are'. USCG is not deployed internationally ... well, there ARE exceptions... For example .... While CO of a cutter working between Jamaica and Haiti we got the call at zero dark hundred about a cruise passenger with a hot appendix. The cruise ship was over 100 miles away but we COULD launch our helo, pick up the pass' and fly on to Guantanamo where a surgeon was waiting. We had the helo off deck in 30 minutes. If we had not JUST HAPPENED to be in the right place ... this didn't work.

- sometimes a helo lift, even if in range and possible - is NOT the right choice ..... some patients can be more stressed by the helo lift than their malady!

Good informative post for those that think salvation is a quick helo ride away.

jc

a few comments

Very interesting!

On one of my cruises a fews years back we were between Cuba and FL when a USCG Dolphin landed on our ship. Loaded up someone and took off. They did about 25-30 circles around the ship gauging wind and our speed, which never stopped. On the 32ish circle they finally landed. Which took about 5 mins itself. Once down the person was brought out on a stretcher and they were loaded up with some family within 2 mins max. Then they were off I have pictures and videos. I'll load them

9:30 pm we have a celebrity ship on our port side heading with us to Ft Lauderdale, and I think a Carnival ship astern.... So, I think we are going to be on schedule or close enough for you joining the ship tomorrow.

Hi Bob and Debbie, enjoyed our private session this morning.

I am a bit unhappy that they didn't do a best of the best on the flow rider... there were several worthy surfers, especially the Toronto Fireman... kind of twerks me that they just dropped it from the cruise. Never heard of such BS before.

j c

Port schedule now shows a 4:45am arrival time for Oasis so looks like it will make it with no issues. Not sure about the Canival and Celebrity ship, they aren't on the Port Everglades port schedule. There are 7 ships on the schedule: Oasis, Indy, Liberty, Crown Princess, Ruby Princess, Emerald Princess and Westerdam. Maybe the other 2 are headed to Miami.

9:30 pm we have a celebrity ship on our port side heading with us to Ft Lauderdale, and I think a Carnival ship astern.... So, I think we are going to be on schedule or close enough for you joining the ship tomorrow.

I am a bit unhappy that they didn't do a best of the best on the flow rider... there were several worthy surfers, especially the Toronto Fireman... kind of twerks me that they just dropped it from the cruise. Never heard of such BS before.

j c

That is a surprise for sure. In November they asked me take part. They had two openings they wanted to fill. I kindly said it was a young mans game, and respectfully passed. They were one short but still ran the best of the best. We watched from our balcony up on deck 17 and took a break from packing.

Maybe they didn't get enough sign up for your sailing. I still want to add a few more moves to my bag of tricks before I do BOB. My back was also rather messed up last sailing. 3 weeks prior I tweaked it and it took 2 weeks to just get out a chair, bed etc without crippling electric back pain. I should not have been on the rider but how could I say no.

Sounds like you enjoyed your private session, well worth it. Enjoy the last of your cruise and have a safe trip home.

Andrew

Port schedule now shows a 4:45am arrival time for Oasis so looks like it will make it with no issues. Not sure about the Canival and Celebrity ship, they aren't on the Port Everglades port schedule. There are 7 ships on the schedule: Oasis, Indy, Liberty, Crown Princess, Ruby Princess, Emerald Princess and Westerdam. Maybe the other 2 are headed to Miami.

probably you are correct. Now that I think about it the ship following us probably wasn't a Carnival ship. Hard to tell in the dark exactly what you are sailing along with.

Andrew, I did the BOB on the last cruise, and I really only have going back and forth quickly as a skill. I can do a 360 but it doesn't happen smoothly or gracefully:D. That said. On the last cruise there was only about 5 surfers that were even semi-skilled, this cruise there were at least a dozen that were all significantly better than anyone on the last cruise.

It is 5:30 am and I can see lights on the shore from my starboard balcony, so I am guessing at the dock at 6 ish...

jc

j c

No Best of the Best on the flow rider? Was that just for your trip or is that another new policy?

probably you are correct. Now that I think about it the ship following us probably wasn't a Carnival ship. Hard to tell in the dark exactly what you are sailing along with.

Andrew, I did the BOB on the last cruise, and I really only have going back and forth quickly as a skill. I can do a 360 but it doesn't happen smoothly or gracefully:D. That said. On the last cruise there was only about 5 surfers that were even semi-skilled, this cruise there were at least a dozen that were all significantly better than anyone on the last cruise.

It is 5:30 am and I can see lights on the shore from my starboard balcony, so I am guessing at the dock at 6 ish...

jc

JC,

Very strange about the fact that there was no show? Did they still have advanced times in the am though, and an adults only hour ride time the one night late in the week? When I am back on her in March I will report back to if there is still no BOB on the advanced Flowrider thread, that's buried on the boards.

Judging by your avatar you are a car guy, here too. Maybe one day if are ever on the same sailing we can shoot the breeze about cars and riding while we wait in line.

Disembarkation day sucks.

Edited by A&L_Ont

For those of you so inclined... There is a show on the Weather Channel, "Coast Guard Alaska". There is a similar one showing them in Florida, I believe. It is some version of reality TV.

It quite impressive it see what these men and women do for us. There was one episode that was a med-evac from a cruise ship. They hoisted the patient from the top deck. Many of the episodes are evacs from fishing ships, evacs from remote areas of Alaska, and unfortunately, search and rescues from sinking or sunk ships.

But, you get a great sense of the amazing things these brave people do for us. Who wants to get hoisted down 100 feet onto the deck of a moving, rolling trawler at night in the freezing cold in the Bering Sea? They do, and I respect the heck out of them for doing it.

Just another reason when you see someone from the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard, thank them for their service to our country. (OK, I admit, that was a bit territorial. I'm from the US. Many of the users of CC are from other countries. The same applies to the members of the military and such in other countries!)

A quick question lets say your boat was delayed due to a medical emergency and you missed your flight and booked it independent of the cruise can Royal pay any change fees and any fare difference? Can they write a letter and give it to passengers explaining why the passenger missed the flight and to waive any fees or send the bill to Royal?

I hope the passenger recovers quickly. BTW If the Passenger were a US Citizen wouldn't it have been better to take the passenger off in San Juan Puerto Rico an American port?