They Took Away Our Crown Viking Lounge on 2013 LBTS TransAtlantic!

umanemo

2013 Liberty of the Seas, Fall Trans-Atlantic Passage

Were we the only injured passengers affected by this new policy?

We have taken 3 TA passages thus far and on this passage the game changed considerably. We have Diamond Lounge access and on all of our previous passages the Viking Crown Lounge was our "First Stop" for a "Sundowner" before joining friends at the nightly happy hours.

The following was the first of a series of letters we handed to the Passenger Services Manager, Valentina Scialacomo, while we were onboard; sadly, we never were invited to an audience with her to discuss our disappointment! When we forced this issue to her attention, this Officer was evasive, distracted and held tightly to company directives and policies. Our concern was of little concern to her office. :(

“Liberty of the Seas” - Trans-Atlantic Passage 2013 – 27 October

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Attention: To whom it may concern,

My wife and I have cruised many times on board your fleet. In planning those cruises we have often found ourselves re-living our dreams and fantasies leading up to embarkation. It is those memories that vividly replay reminding us of all of the wonderful events that we found so pleasurable aboard your ships. One of our fondest of these memories was our customary sunset ritual of enjoying a pre-dinner cocktail in the Royal Viking Lounge, listening to the relaxing music while watching the sun setting over the horizon from behind those grand panoramic windows. It was one of our greatest expectations to once again enjoy this unique and pleasant tradition on this, our third Trans-Atlantic passage, and our second aboard the beautiful Liberty of the Seas.

We feel it is with great and unfortunate regret that you have stolen such an important opportunity from the both of us when you choose to schedule your nightly private events (Diamond+/Pinnacle; Evening Cocktail Gathering) in the Viking Lounge exactly within this critical time period of the day; at sunset and before the dinner hours. That decision by your Entertainment Director has taken away the “WOW!” from this Royal Caribbean Cruise Line experience which is overshadowing our feeling of complete enjoyment each evening, and will continue to disappoint us for the remainder of this passage as long as we are excluded from your “Signature” Viking Lounge during these sunset hours (For your information, your staff is currently closing the Lounge as early as 15:30 and not re- opening again until as late as 21:30). We wish that you would please reconsider your policy that is so inconsiderate of ours and so many of your guest’s enjoyment of that particular time of day.

We are sure that there are many appropriate alternative venues where these gatherings can be planned. We wish you would reevaluate the impact that your priority entertainment decisions have had upon our enjoyment of this passage. Your considerate response while I am aboard this passage is appreciated.

Sounds like OP had access to the Diamond Lounge but was upset that the Diamond + and Pinnacle (highest C&A level passengers) were given the best view on the ship. Where did he think they should go? An inside lounge somewhere lower?

:confused:Just what are you talking about? Did you want the Viking Crown lounge only for your select group? Just left the Liberty last week and there was a section for upper tier guests, and a rather large area for non top tier cruisers.

To be fair, it sounds as though the Olive or Twist was being used as an overflow for the Concierge Lounge during the TA.

I can understand this, as when we sailed on Liberty in 2011 on a similar TA there were so many Diamond members that the evening cocktail hour was held in the Sphinx show lounge on deck 5 as the Diamond Lounge in the Viking Crown would not be able to accommodate them.

I think... now it is just my interpretation of the OP... that the Diamond Lounge during the evening hours was moved to the Sphynx Lounge... and the D+ and up were in the Diamond Lounge/Viking Crown Lounge area... The only reason I say that is because we have just gotten off the Liberty and they accidently sent us the letter for the crossing... and that was the location noted on the letter... rather than the letter for our sailing. A little confusion on the first evening. So... I'm assuming on the fall crossing that the OP was on... the Diamonds were in another location rather than the Viking Crown Lounge... and it wasn't that they didn't get their free drinks... it was they didn't get the view they wanted.

Correct on all fronts!

The Diamond Lounge aft of the Olive and Twist was too small for the 600+ Diamond or higher loyalty members, so yes they have moved the evening gathering (read as; "sink-or-swim") to the Sphinx for years now. But on these last two TA passages the Diamond+ and Pinnacle members and Mario have all been upgraded to take over the Olive and Twist for the hours stated above. Incidentally, suite guests through their purchase were, by de facto, comped up to this elite level even if it was their first cruise with RCCL. I only noted though that they were exclusively Europeans, mostly Germans.

Yes this is coming three months after our passage, and yes I do understand that the ++ loyalty members do deserve a venue, not withstanding the best seat in the house, but there were many of us standing at the barracades wondering why at sunset and why in the only venue that that time of day can be grandly enjoyed by so many others onboard?

Is there no option for compromise? Move the Diamonds to the Catacombs and the ++'s back to the Sphinx? That way everyone onboard can once again enjoy a sunset cocktail with elegance and style while listening to that wonderful background music. I am not getting the elitist attitude, just the entitlement is showing quite obviously. I get "First Class" and everything, the front of the plane and not the tail but there are many "First Class" venues that RCCL can use aboard these Freedom Class vessels.

Sounds like OP had access to the Diamond Lounge but was upset that the Diamond + and Pinnacle (highest C&A level passengers) were given the best view on the ship. Where did he think they should go? An inside lounge somewhere lower?

I don't believe anyone regardless of "status" should be denied entrance to the Viking Crown Lounge during normally expected cocktail time periods. .... period. Sharing the lounge area is fine IMHO but to shut it down to anyone who's not "top tier" at those times is wrong.:cool:

I know for sure the evening cocktail were served in the Phinx lounge since I was on the 27 Oct TA.

I went there a couple off times to get a soda.

No one on the ship told me that D+ and Higher would be in a other lounge.

No problem seen the sunset on promenade deck 4.

Should I complain? Been D+ long time working on my 340 to get cheaper single price.

I am sorry your cruise anniversary was disappointing. I totally understand as we recently sailed on the Allure for my husbands 5oth birthday and it was ignored by the staff however we just let it go and enjoyed our first grand suite and the wonderful ship and crew.

I don't believe anyone regardless of "status" should be denied entrance to the Viking Crown Lounge during normally expected cocktail time periods. .... period. Sharing the lounge area is fine IMHO but to shut it down to anyone who's not "top tier" at those times is wrong.:cool:

In this case, why would the Viking Crown Lounge be any different than the Concierge Club or Diamond Lounge - only open to those who have earned the right to be at the event via status or suite. If it was an open venue, how would they identify those entitled to the free drinks and snacks from those who are not? What lounge WOULD be acceptable for them to reserve for the top-tiers? Any lounge they pick would get some folks complaining.

TA cruises are notorious for larger than normal top-tier passengers. Its not the only place for the OP to see the sunset.

Edit: I am NOT a top tier passenger in case anyone thinks that's where my opinion comes from. And this is only my OPINION. Everyone has one. :)

Edited by BDL

I hear ya OP. There really aren't many places on Voyager/Freedom class to look at the sea from the inside. I wouldn't be bugged enough to write a letter but I would complain to whoever is denying me entry that the hours chosen for this event were pathetic. Make it a true nightly event, at night, not right at sunset each day.

Edited by Jtd724

Right. So I got it.

What we expect of our next experience is almost always better thought then when had. RCCL is evolving, yes the parallel one of the posters made to "Carnival" was in just, but something for all of us "Loyal's" to think of. We are just that, Loyal's, not Royal's. It is that perception in which may lie the destruction of the loyalty program that obviates its need to be adjusted.

We all expect the fantasy that RCCL promises of the old style cruising, that's why I have been "loyal to Royal" since 1969! (MS Sunward) But when humans (or animals, which ever category in which you may lie) get accustomed to a certain level of personal attention, the kind I have come to be accustomed to from RCCL and which it has been known for, when trimmed, well, we all get our feathers up.

This is, as so many of you have pointed out, an insignificant event imposed upon an insignificant passenger. I just wanted to remind RCCL that we are still expecting that fantasy. What do you think?

BTW. It wasn't about that "Cake", just that they always looked into my profile and knew that it was a special day and took extraordinary measures to recognize that. That is what I have always respected about the RCCL product, their knack for unexpected recognition.

Spring Serenade TA going home. See y'all there at sunset.

Two points come to my mind as I read this thread:

1. Even when I have been on ships where the Olive or Twist Lounge was used for "Happy Hour" for C&A top tiers (whether D and up or D+ and up), the Seven Hearts and Cloud Nine rooms were open to the public. The same view is available from there, umanemo.

2. Apparently, umanemo has been on cruises where the VCL was the DIAMOND and up lounge. Didn't complain THEN, did you, about all of the OTHER people who couldn't be there?

I will politely disagree with you.

My travel agent hosted a group of 46 people on the Indy a few weeks ago. She made arrangements in advance to PAY for reserving the entire Viking Crown from 5-6PM one evening. The whole lounge. She arrived and found they had given her group half the VCL, so she had a chat with the group coordinator. She said to leave the D/D+/P members that were already in the lounge alone, but to please move the sign outside the entrance to the VCL to keep any more people from entering that weren't in her group. Additional D/D+/P passengers could use their own lounge.

They do shut down the entire lounge for periods of time for group parties....for a price. My TA paid out of her own pocket for this, so she wanted to get what she paid for.

I believe my point here got lost somewhere along the way. I could care less if somebody in an "upper tier" gets special treatment

BUT ....

Not at the expense of others who ALSO DID pay for their trip and have a reasonable expectation of being able to use a normally PUBLIC lounge during normal hours.

Even Cunard's Queens, which have separate dining rooms for their "upper tiers", don't disallow the other passengers from public lounges in order to favor the "elite" :rolleyes:

I agree with you. :)

Edited by Jtd724

1. Even when I have been on ships where the Olive or Twist Lounge was used for "Happy Hour" for C&A top tiers (whether D and up or D+ and up), the Seven Hearts and Cloud Nine rooms were open to the public. The same view is available from there, umanemo.

2. Apparently, umanemo has been on cruises where the VCL was the DIAMOND and up lounge. Didn't complain THEN, did you, about all of the OTHER people who couldn't be there?

MM you have, but again, in your signature pragmatic way, cut to the real issue. Thanks.

Correct x 2 :D oh how I wish I was as wise as you

Edited by ChipLondon

Really need that LIKE button! :)

Point taken, We were not Diamond until this passage but I get your point. On our first TA aboard the LBTS in 2011, those who were (Diamond) back then went to Sphinx, but D+ and Pinnacle? I really don't know where they were as we were allowed along with all other passengers to pay for cocktails and sit in the Olive & Twist for a sundowner. The VCL didn't come into service for a nightly exclusive "Gathering" venue until the Spring 2013 TA passage and then it was initiated straight to "Diamond+/pinnacle status loyalty members only!". It has been exclusive to that tier level right from the start of this new program on the LBTS.

BTW, Cloud Nine... in 2013 was Closed, It was being used for rehearsals for an upcoming piano concert that was to début later in the cruise. And as we were aiming the pointy end of the ship West on this TA direction the sunsets wouldn't have been visible through the bulkhead between the Cloud Nine and the 7 Hearts. It was investigated though but both inaccessible to our wishes.

Good advice for those going forward though. Those side rooms off the VCL deck are a good option if available.

Thanks for the insight!

I agree. The Viking Crown is a BIG selling point for RC, and people book a cruise expecting to be able to use it.

I agree. The signature feature of the ship should not be off limits to guests during peak hours. Loyalty guests can be and should be accommodated in a more appropriate venue during those times.

The guy is disappointed that he couldn't go to the VCL; not that he couldn't get into a top tier event, but that he simply wasn't allowed a seat in VCL during evening hours. And you people......come out of the wood work to berate him for being disappointed because you don't like his writing style? Wow...

When I cruise I do like to stop up in the VCL on occasion late afternoon or sometimes evenings before dinner. I would be let down if I couldn't. It's a shame so many people want to treat this guy like an animal.

Who knows, maybe its all one big lie and he's having a laugh for no real reason, but I stand by what venues I think should be open for all and that Royal could find a better space for loyalty guests.

No matter where you put the "loyalty guests", that will be a place that others cannot be.

It's simple physics. (at least, I think that it's physics. I am NOT a scientist, nor do I play one on TV ;))

I agree. The signature feature of the ship should not be off limits to guests during peak hours. Loyalty guests can be and should be accommodated in a more appropriate venue during those times.

I could be wrong, but I've never really seen anything going on in the VCL during those hours. In my experience, "peak hours" for the VCL is later in the night when the band is playing.