Bagging the tv remote

dibh1129

Agreed!

I think bagging the remote is a fabulous idea. It's likely something that doesn't get wiped down between passengers.

LA_CA_GAL...not all remotes are the same size & shape, so trying to fit your home remote is pointless.

Thanks for posting that. That's exactly what triggered this question. I will bring a quart size just in case. I'm traveling with little kids and we will be washing our hands as usual, but I can't get them to stop touching the remote :/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like most of u have never had noro. Well I have and on last cruise forgot the baggie for TV remote. Never touched it and washed my hands everytime I looked at it. So OP don't forget that zip lock.

I've had it....got it a few days after I left Explorer in 2011 oddly enough. Learned to avoid the elevator buttons, door handles, etc. Now I just take the same precautions I would at work. I'm in healthcare so I always, always and often wash my hands after touching surfaces. Haven't been sick since.

All the jokes about people sanitizing their cabins are not quite as funny after a large noro outbreak. Make fun of those people as much as you want, but just make sure you wash your hands before and after.:rolleyes:

No a Noro outbreak is not funny. But all the things people are posting can be comical. If you think cleaning your room with Lysol is going to stop you from getting the Noro Virus, you are probably wrong. As stated even if it was in a joking way, how are you going to make sure you do not touch something that may give you the virus. There is no way you can avoid it! Guess what, my whole family had a strain of the Noro Virus at Christmas time and we were not on a cruise ship.It happens! The point is yes be careful wash your hands often and try not to touch your face, eyes, mouth and nose! But you cannot completely Lysol it all away unless you stay in your room and don't let anyone or anything enter your room for your entire cruise!

No a Noro outbreak is not funny. But all the things people are posting can be comical. If you think cleaning your room with Lysol is going to stop you from getting the Noro Virus, you are probably wrong. As stated even if it was in a joking way, how are you going to make sure you do not touch something that may give you the virus. There is no way you can avoid it! Guess what, my whole family had a strain of the Noro Virus at Christmas time and we were not on a cruise ship.It happens! The point is yes be careful wash your hands often and try not to touch your face, eyes, mouth and nose! But you cannot completely Lysol it all away unless you stay in your room and don't let anyone or anything enter your room for your entire cruise!

Exactly! And if you really think that bagging your TV remote is a serious way to lessen your risk, that's pretty silly! The remote is one of dozens of things you'd need to bag, as others have pointed out. Bring lysol wipes and wipe down the remote and other things - not a bad idea. But bag the remote specifically?? :confused:

Agreed!

LA_CA_GAL...not all remotes are the same size & shape, so trying to fit your home remote is pointless.

:rolleyes: That is why I suggested a 20 gallon clear trashbag. Or you could bring a sandwich baggie, or a lettuce baggie, or a whatever baggie, or all of the forementioned.

Sorry, but this has to rank right up there with the dumbest threads ever on CC.

Wow, some of you are very cruel. If a passenger wants to do this, how does it adversely affect you? It doesn't. A little kindness in this world goes a long way.

Agreed. The CDC specifically lists tv remote controls as an item to be cleaned with dilute bleach during a norovirus outbreak. It is one of those items that is likely to be missed by a steward cleaning a cabin. You cannot go through life in a plastic bubble, but I try not to berate someone for trying to avoid their vacation being ruined. I have had noro exactly once, and once is enough. I will wipe a few things and will take precautions as I see fit, including frequent hand-washing.

It's pointing out the false sense of security.

No, some of it is mocking and making fun of and being sarcastic, cruel, and mean.

...The CDC specifically lists tv remote controls as an item to be cleaned with dilute bleach during a norovirus outbreak... I will wipe a few things and will take precautions as I see fit, including frequent hand-washing.

Thanks, agree with you.

. I have had noro exactly once, and once is enough. I will wipe a few things and will take precautions as I see fit, including frequent hand-washing.

Oh so agreed...

I usually never even have the TV on when I'm on the cruise. Not much selection and I'd rather be up top or exploring. I can watch TV and movies at home where it's cold.

I do bring Lysol wipes however for handles and switches. I bring Lysol wipes when I go shopping for buggy handles...you can never know what the person before you did when they touched that surface.

LOL, the suite is funny.

Our first cruise back in )^ was getting onto a spotless, completely bleached down ship. They Noro the week before ours. We always bring the Lysol wipes. They come in travel packs and it only takes about 10 minutes to do a good cleaning.

Many wipes and sanitizers are effective against bacteria but not viruses, expecially noro.

From the Lysol site:

"When used per label directions, LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray "Brand III" is effective against norovirus. However, LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes are not effective against norovirus."

:eek:

Good thing you only wasted 10 minutes!

No, some of it is mocking and making fun of and being sarcastic, cruel, and mean.

And it's still being used to effectively point out the false sense of security.

Unless you are using the cloth napkin to touch serving utensils in the buffet, you're putting yourself at risk by eating there. More people have touched the tongs in the buffet in the last hour than have touched the TV remote in the cabin in 3 years.

:rolleyes: That is why I suggested a 20 gallon clear trashbag. Or you could bring a sandwich baggie, or a lettuce baggie, or a whatever baggie, or all of the forementioned.

Sorry, but this has to rank right up there with the dumbest threads ever on CC.

I read the original post as asking fellow cruisers if they have first hand knowledge of what size the Explorer remotes are. I doubt s/he was asking for snide comments from the peanut gallery.

Anyone who feels this is one of the dumbest threads on CC and can't answer the OP's question, need not reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the original post as asking fellow cruisers if they have first hand knowledge of what size the Explorer remotes are. I doubt s/he was asking for snide comments from the peanut gallery.

Anyone who feels this is one of the dumbest threads on CC and can't answer the OP's question, need not reply.

First whats a lettuce baggie?

Second-I've seen worse :)

Your best bet is going to be a freezer baggie-bring toiletries in it and re-use it to bring them home when the cruise is done. I tried it with my Blu-Ray player remote and I can't see the remotes being any bigger than that.

First whats a lettuce baggie?

Second-I've seen worse :)

Your best bet is going to be a freezer baggie-bring toiletries in it and re-use it to bring them home when the cruise is done. I tried it with my Blu-Ray player remote and I can't see the remotes being any bigger than that.

But wouldn't you be taking a chance of bringing the Noro Virus home with you if you reuse it? You or someone else may have infected the bag. That is the whole point of Why would you put the remote in a Baggie! The remote may be safe but the virus is now on the Baggie! :eek:

We stayed in a hotel last year in Baltimore that had TV remotes that were "cleanable". They would be removed after the person left and put in a cleaner I believe and another put in it's place. Maybe RCI needs to look into those.

I answered the question.

Finding a baggie to fit a TV remote ain't rocket science.:rolleyes:

To be really specific, a baggie with dimensions of 6.375" x 4" x 1.5" would be perfect.

Hope that helps.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL