East vs. West Caribbean

Which would you pick?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick?

• Freedom of the Seas: Western - Fort Lauderdale; Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. 2 sea days
    • Freedom of the Seas: Eastern Fort Lauderdale; Cococay, St. Thomas, St. Maarten. 3 sea days
    • Navigator of the Seas: Western Galveston; Roatan Honduras, Belize City, Cozumel. 3 sea days
    • Another Cruise

I picked Eastern. I loved St. Thomas and St. Maarten and Coco Cay is a guaranteed beach day already included in your fare.

On the Western itinerary, I thought Grand Cayman was overrated, especially since neither me or my wife are big shoppers. Cozumel was OK, and I've heard nothing good about Jamaica.

The drawback, at least to me, on the Southern itinerary is getting from one of the Houston airports to Galveston. No decently priced shuttles like there are from Orlando to Port Canaveral, and renting a car only for it to sit for a week in a garage that you're also paying for makes little to no sense to me.

I prefer southern itineraries. I don't like a lot of sea days (3 is too many for me) and I prefer "real" ports of call to the Disney-like private islands.

Of the options you listed, I choose the Freedom western route - despite having visited Cozumel more times than I can remember - because it's a little more port-intensive. I've done the Roatan and Belize route and would have LOVED the itinerary if they'd managed to work in one more port of call. Sea days are great, if there are 1 or 2. To me, they get boring after that.

Edited by printingchick

Eastern - Better Beaches and Better Shopping

Western - Better Snorkeling/SCUBA / Mayan Ruins / More Adventuresome Excursions

If you like sea days, take the cruise with more sea days. If you don't, take the one with more port of calls.

In addition to what others have already said, time of year matters too. Weather can be iffy in the Western Caribbean in the winter months, while you're significantly further south in the Eastern and Southern Caribbean.

Case in point from just a few weeks ago: I had a friend on a cruise (Liberty OTS) in the Western Caribbean while my parents were simultaneously on an X cruise in the Southern Caribbean. My friend on Liberty had a couple of very cool days (low 60s) with lousy weather, while my parents reported sunny weather in the 80s the entire time. I've personally experienced choppier seas in the winter months in the Western Caribbean. Part of it is luck, of course, but it's worth noting.

Edited by Dave85

We like Eastern or Southern better. Most of the RCCI western itineraries include Falmouth, Jamaica, which we absolutely did not like. Mid September is peak hurricane season in the Atlantic basin. If you can, consider moving to October for Eastern or Southern.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have thought about it but I will not be able to take any vacation Jun-Aug, so I would rather not push it much longer than that though hurricane season is a concern.

This is a valid concern. If there is an active storm, the ship will most likely go the other direction, i.e. if the storm is in the Gulf, you will most likely go on an Eastern itinerary and vice versa.

We loved Eastern, St Thomas and St Martin are great. Do some reading however on how often Cococay gets skipped due to rough seas (as it did for us in Jan). 4 Days at sea is a bit on the boring side. I would probably not do an Eastern Itinerary again if it only had 3 stops and 1 was Cococay. Freedom is fantastic!!!!

Edited by DonTreadOnMe