RCI cruisers... have you been on Princess or MSC??

CamaCama

We love Royal esp after experiencing Liberty last month. WOW. But we have an opportunity to go away in May on a short cruise (we live in FL about 30 mins from port) and it's between a 3-night on Caribbean Princess or 2-night on MSC Divina.

We are very active 30-something's so we love the sports deck on royal (ping pong tourneys, soccer competitions, volleyball, rock climbing, etc.) Will either of these cruise lines have activities like that on board? Never sailed with either so know nothing about who they cater to..

Thx!

Not sure how MSC is in the Caribbean, but we went on in for a European cruise and hated it...the staff was rude, wait times in the MDR were long, and just an overall unpleasant experience. If it was me, I would go on Princess in a heartbeat.

We took MSC Poesia to Bermuda and really enjoyed the experience. The ship was gorgeous. The crew and dining experience was comparable to what I've experienced on Royal Caribbean and NCL. However, we didn't really follow the various on board activities, so cannot comment on that aspect. I would sail MSC again for the right itinerary without a doubt.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

We are very active 30-something's so we love the sports deck on royal (ping pong tourneys, soccer competitions, volleyball, rock climbing, etc.) Will either of these cruise lines have activities like that on board? Never sailed with either so know nothing about who they cater to..

Thx!

We love Princess, but based on the things you mentioned that you like, I don't think Princess would be a good match. Sorry, I'm not familiar with MSC at all. But, for a short cruise, give Princess a try.

At one time Princess was our favorite cruise line (we have tried them all with the exception of MSC). Then we sailed on RCCL last May and by far they blew Princess out of the water! The service, the food, the ENTERTAINMENT...EVERYTHING just made us fall in love with Royal. So much so that we are sailing the exact same ship and itinerary next week.

I have read some great things about MSC, however...keep in mind that it is a European line and there are certain things that come with that. You might not enjoy the food as much as it is kind of "different", there is smoking aboard the MSC ships, and there are several different languages on board MSC, even with caribbean cruises. Now, mind you that this is not coming first hand, but from the research and information we have gathered over the years.

Oh, and we still enjoy and love Princess...but Royal would be our line of choice above all others.

I am like you always on the sports deck but you need to look at the ship as much as the line, I like voyager class because they have a full court and usually enough people to play sports. We tried a lot of lines before picking royal and now are diamond plus but princess was our second choice so if the ship you are looking at has a court then that is your choice, if both due the the princess would be my choice.

On a side note 7 days is better then a 3 or 4

Although Princess will not have the type of activities you listed, a short cruise such as the 3-night you mentioned will probably be doable for you since you will not have much time for those activities. We really loved Princess...give them a try!

My very first cruise was Alaska on the Princess Dawn, for my honeymoon in 2000. I definitely loved it, but of course had nothing to compare it to, and I recall being kind of bored with the entertainment options.

I just returned today from my second Royal Caribbean cruise with my sister, where we watched the Super Bowl on the gigantic pool deck flat tv. I have one more booked this year and another in planning for next January. I am happy to say I will be a Royal Caribbean lifer (my sister is already Platinum, as she cruises RCI 4-5 times a year). Not that Princess wasn't great, because it was, but Royal Caribbean has the "it" factor for me.

Ships are decorated incredibly nicely, lots of lights at night, cool pool deck architecture. Photography options on-board include the typical tropical backdrop, but also solid black or solid white backdrops if you prefer a more modern look. A photographer will also come by your dinner table and offer to take a photo of your entire table, with your table mates (particularly on formal night). You can have as many pictures taken as you want, view them in the gallery hall, with no obligation to purchase any of them.

On the Jewel, I particularly appreciated the "day of the week" panels that were switched out each night in the floors of the elevators, to help me keep track of the days. I missed having that on Enchantment, although this cruise was shorter so it wasn't an issue.

Royal Caribbean food is usually very good, with just a few rough patches (to be expected on any cruise line; it was absolutely comparable to Princess though, IMO). Main Dining Room menu includes little pictorial icons to designate dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian items, with several options in each category. If you need an item prepared specially, they will do it as best they can. If you're interested in sampling two of that night's appetizers, or two entrees, or two desserts at the Main Dining Room dinner, just ask and it's yours, at no extra charge. The one area that food could be significantly improved is desserts. The only one I really enjoy is the Chocolate Sensation, which is available every night in the Main Dining Room. However, despite the grand selection of desserts on the buffet in the Windjammer, they are consistently mediocre at best. I don't even try them anymore. Fortunately, there is self-serve soft-serve ice cream on the pool deck, and a Ben & Jerry's on the two ships I've cruised. Latte-Tudes serves Starbucks, including frappuccinos, although with limited offerings (similar to the Starbucks you sometimes find in airports).

LOVE the adults-only Solarium, which I don't recall Princess having. Entertainment is entertaining and fun, not cheesy. I've had one massage at the spa, which was very nice. They did push hard to upsell me on products at the spa, which I don't appreciate, but it's not a huge deal.

On my first Royal Caribbean cruise, on the Jewel last year, there was a small delay with our transportation back from an excursion. It didn't affect our getting back to the ship at all. My sister and I didn't care too much, but apparently someone complained, because Royal Caribbean refunded us each 50% of the excursion cost.

With the Crown & Anchor loyalty program, and a "Next Cruise" desk on each ship where you can inquire about or book your next cruise, and impeccable service all around, they sincerely want you to cruise with them again.

Edited by emory2001

I agree. Princess and RC are more alike than different. A first hand experience on a short cruise is the best way for you to see the differences/similarities.

We have sailed on both. Recently we have cruised on RC a lot for the itineraries. In December we will be on Princess again. We are looking forward to it.

Give it a try. I think you will enjoy it.

I agree. Princess and RC are more alike than different. A first hand experience on a short cruise is the best way for you to see the differences/similarities.

We have sailed on both. Recently we have cruised on RC a lot for the itineraries. In December we will be on Princess again. We are looking forward to it.

Give it a try. I think you will enjoy it.

I am so glad to see this thread and read these responses. In 2015 I am really hoping to do a cruise around Japan and Princess seems to have the best options. I was wondering if I would like them or not - but this makes me feel very good about booking something with them.

Thanks everyone - I love cruise critic forum!

We have sailed twice on Princess, 2002 & 2006, 2004, 2008 & 2011 were all Royal and we are about to enjoy the Radiance once again starting in March. I did do a coastal with friends on Princess in Sept which DH chose to pass on. We have had enjoyable cruises on both lines, food comparable, yet my one negative comment on Princess is that their rooms are smaller and feel overall entertainment, staff and experience is preferred with Royal. If the price and itinerary were right, we would probably sail with Princess but for now staying with Royal.

We love Royal esp after experiencing Liberty last month. WOW. But we have an opportunity to go away in May on a short cruise (we live in FL about 30 mins from port) and it's between a 3-night on Caribbean Princess or 2-night on MSC Divina.

Thx!

We like Princess cruises because of their customer service and some itineraries but they don't have a rock wall or a flow rider. Most princess ships do have a sports deck with basketball/volleyball court, mini golf, and some have a current pool. I think that caribe is one of those ships. A three night cruise might be a good way to try it out to see if you would like it. I don't know anything about MSC.

Princess yes if you can live without rock climbing .... msc have not heard good things. Princess is fine and fun for late 20s/early 30s... I am 33 and have 32 sail days with princess. We did not care for Holland America for their activities.

A short cruise is a good way to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app