Lost Luggage - Not flying

LilLady

We are going on our first cruise in November. I have read several posts about the possibility of lost luggage. Most seem to center around airlines losing the luggage.

What I'm not sure on is, since we are driving to the port is there still a possibility that the cruise line will misplace our luggage somewhere between the dock and our cabin?

Thats pretty rare to lose it from the curb to the ship. The thing that could happen is post cruise. They take your luggage on the last night and transport it to the terminal for pick up. You would be amazed how many passengers just grab a bag without checking the luggage tag to see if it is theirs and walk off. I cruise with just a carry on so my luggage never leaves my hand. If your going to put it out, make sure you can easily identify your luggage. Lots of people get very creative with the new patterned duct tape. :)

It can happen -- but it is very rare.

We were sailing on the Ryndam out of San Diego a few years ago. We did not have the main cruise terminal.

The Zaandam was also sailing out of San Diego. All traffic enters the same gate and some people from the Ryndam did not pay attention as to where to go to drop off their luggage. To make a long story short -- by the time about 20 people discovered that their luggage was on the Zaandam heading to Hawaii, it was too late. Some of them got their luggage within 10 days. A couple of people didn't get their luggage until day 19 of a 20 day cruise.

Ports like Ft Lauderdale and Miami have separate terminals to enter to get to the ships and this problem doesn't exist.

NEVER put the ship info on your luggage until after you claim it at the airport! Once at the pier, make sure your room tag is well attached before you hand over your bags - porters can be too helpful, and grab it before you make sure it is properly identified.

I have been very lucky - never have lost any baggage!

Driving to pier should be easier, ships rarely lose luggage if you drop it at the right port - just do not have booze in you checked bags, or nonpermitted electical stuff - or you will have to go and claim your bags in the lost luggage!

The OP is NOT flying, so luggage tags aren't an issue!

If you're worried, crosspack...put something of everyone's in each suitcase! That way, should something go missing, everyone will have something!!!

It's very, very rare for luggage you've carried to the ship to go missing.

We are going on our first cruise in November. I have read several posts about the possibility of lost luggage. Most seem to center around airlines losing the luggage.

What I'm not sure on is, since we are driving to the port is there still a possibility that the cruise line will misplace our luggage somewhere between the dock and our cabin?

Anything is possible. We have been on 36 cruises and they haven't lost a bag yet

The OP is NOT flying, so luggage tags aren't an issue!

If you're worried, crosspack...put something of everyone's in each suitcase! That way, should something go missing, everyone will have something!!!

It's very, very rare for luggage you've carried to the ship to go missing.

You say that because they are not flying, that luggage tags aren't an issue. HOWEVER, every ship requires luggage tags. Luggage tags are provided with you're EDocs or at the pier. Ship luggage tags must be placed on the luggage so it is delivered to the correct cabin, on the correct ship.

As others have posted, it would be very rare to have luggage lost at the port. However, you should still make sure that all your valuables are packed in carry-on luggage that you keep with you at all times until you can safely put the stuff away in your cabin (or cabin safe). Although it would be rare to lose a piece of luggage at the port, there have been too many reports (over the years) of valuables disappearing from checked luggage.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

All ports can be overwhelming on embarkation day.

Be sure you have your ships luggage tags FIRMLY affixed. I now do use the CC luggage tag holders on one handle and another on the strap.

Stay calm, take it slow, do not let anyone rush you

Make sure the porter places your luggage on the proper cart for your ship, again don't be shy or in a rush.

Tip and thank porter ;)

We used a ship-transfer on our first cruise, our luggage in Puerto Rico almost went on the wrong truck!

I even double-check the tags at the airport.

On the non-cruiseline ship luggage tags that I'm hoping you use, put your name, cell phone number,ship's name/sailing date/cabin number on it. I also put an itinerary sheet with contact info, itinerary, and other info on it in our suitcases, as well as give to a couple of neighbors and family members.

All ports can be overwhelming on embarkation day.

Be sure you have your ships luggage tags FIRMLY affixed. I now do use the CC luggage tag holders on one handle and another on the strap.

Stay calm, take it slow, do not let anyone rush you

Make sure the porter places your luggage on the proper cart for your ship, again don't be shy or in a rush.

Tip and thank porter ;)

We used a ship-transfer on our first cruise, our luggage in Puerto Rico almost went on the wrong truck!

I even double-check the tags at the airport.

Excellent advice! I have found that, at ports and airports alike, the personnel are all too willing to waste YOUR time, in never-ending waiting rooms and long lines. But, when it's time to "move the herd", they don't have ten seconds to wait for you. I always have everything I need uber-organized and at hand, but I have seen other passengers flustered to the point of tears by pushy employees, in these situations. :rolleyes:

On one cruise (just once) a bag got misdirected somewhere on the ship. A flyer was distributed on the second day with a catalog photo of a carry on bag with a description -- it was several (like 9) pairs of ladies shoes...

We saw the guest at formal night in a gown and flip flops from the gift shop. The bag eventually showed up around day 4 when it was found snagged on a pallet jack (the forklift things that move the luggage bins). She was so excited, she told EVERYONE. TWICE.

On one cruise (just once) a bag got misdirected somewhere on the ship. A flyer was distributed on the second day with a catalog photo of a carry on bag with a description -- it was several (like 9) pairs of ladies shoes...

We saw the guest at formal night in a gown and flip flops from the gift shop. The bag eventually showed up around day 4 when it was found snagged on a pallet jack (the forklift things that move the luggage bins). She was so excited, she told EVERYONE. TWICE.

Sounds like what happened to us, after we encountered bad weather on a cross-country flight. Our luggage didn't catch up to us until after the first formal night. My DH had rented a tux, but alas, his dress shoes were -- well, God knows where! :rolleyes: Unfortunately for him, the tux shop on board did not have his shoe size. So, we still laugh over our photo of the Captain and my DH -- wearing his tux and tennis shoes (very Andy Warhol)! ;)

Never had anything happen concerning luggage, but losing it is only one problem. One trip we watched from the deck as the luggage was being loaded when a forklift bumped a cart of luggage and dumped about half of them into the water. I bet that there were some unpleasant people at the dining table that night.

Anything is possible. We have been on 36 cruises and they haven't lost a bag yet

80 plus for us and only the airlines have lost our luggage and thankfully never before a cruise. We do cross pack.putting some of his stuff in my suitcase and some of mine in his..."just in case".

• 2 weeks later...

If you're driving, you will pull up to the curb and personally hand your luggage to the porters. You'll personally affix the tag to your luggage, and you'll see it place in a big canvas cart (carts are labeled according to your deck and general location). It's possible for it to go astray, but not likely. The porters push the carts on board, and then the cabin stewards bring them to your door.

Things that could possibly happen:

- if you're not in your cabin when your suitcase is delivered, some one could steal it from the hallway. But who'd take the chance of being seen walking down the hall . . . Given that you could pop out of the door at any minute, and the prize could be underwear and tees that don't fit. Cruisers know that people carry their valuables in their carry ons, so theft isn't likely.

- Your suitcase could be delivered to the wrong room. But, if you've labeled it securely (two labels aren't a bad idea), it's not likely. And no honest person's going to take your suitcase into his room . . . So a cabin steward will find it and bring it to your room, even if it's a bit late.

- I once heard about a suitcase that was on top of the push cart and fell into the water as the cart was being loaded on the ship. This is possible, but not likely, especially because they have nets beside the "bridges" to prevent this kind of thing.

Really, handing your things to the porters is a low- risk choice. If you're super nervous about it, you could use just a carry on and keep control of it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of 16 plus cruises, we always drive, we had only one piece of luggage get lost in-between the terminal and the ship.

Only because our luggage tag had been ripped off by God knows what. Realizing our luggage hadn't been delivered to our stateroom by 10 PM we called Customer Service to ask about it thinking it had been delivered to the wrong deck or cabin.

We were asked to describe it then after giving them a description we were told to go to Customer Service and pick it up.

They had about 10 pieces of luggage, all with missing luggage tags.

Funny thing is our tag had been wrapped with clear packing tape to reinforce it, stapled with more than 8 staples and had a hole punched and tied to the handle. And the tag still had been torn off. And it wasn't for lack of a tip because we always tip the porters at least two dollars a bag.

But what was important was we did get our luggage that night.

I also put an itinerary sheet with contact info' date=' itinerary, and other info on it in our suitcases, as well as give to a couple of neighbors and family members.[/quote']

We always put an itinerary sheet in as the last thing we pack. Dates, hotels, cruise with contact numbers for each. It’s right on top should anyone need to open the bag to find some identification should the outside tag be torn off. I used to work baggage claims for an airline. When there was no outside ID we would dig through the bag, itemizing everything, hopefully finding some additional ID. Most of the time there was not any. We also take a photo of the bag to show anyone looking for it exactly what it looks like. Seems like overkill until your bag ends up missing.